How to become that skinny friend who eats what they want and dont gain weight

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    its like the side mirrors on cars that say "objects in (the) mirror are closer than appear" things are not always what they seem. I was one of those when younger who could eat and eat and not gain anything it was because I was active(taking meds for my asthma wound me up to so that could have boosted my metabolism a bit because it was basically a type of amphetamine that was prescribed).

I could eat a whole medium pizza myself,drink 13 cans on dr pepper(yes I did that in one day),I didnt eat breakfast though, and I would snack throughout the day and maybe have a few sandwiches in between those times. fast forwards to late 20s early 30s and I became less active but still ate like that(just a little less pizza) but added in other things and boom, I gained weight. also I was taken off those meds. over time I gained the weight it wasnt overnight.

The thing is how do you know when you arent home or the person isnt home that they arent being active somewhere at some time? and if the person truly is sedentary and eating a lot and not gaining it could mean an underlying health condition or that they are still eating in maintenance. you cant worry about what others eat or dont eat. if you are that curious ask them and talk to them maybe they will share with you. But I dont worry about what others eat I worry about myself and could care less if someone thinner than me can eat more. sure it would be nice to be like that and I was that person but Im not now and I have to be more active or eat less.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I’ve got conflicting feelings about this.

On the one hand, I ate takeout for dinner 6 nights a week and had a couple slices of pizza every other day growing up (I grew up in Manhattan, working parents, etc.), but I never ate breakfast, walked a ton, only used public transportation, and played 3 sports... I graduated at 5’7 and 125 lbs. I was super super skinny.

In college, I still ate pretty terribly, TERRIBLY, but was on a large campus so walked a decent amount. I drank way too much but played a sport in the spring... but still, I didn’t gain much weight at all. Probably 15 pounds over the 4 years and it was across my body, not specifically in my belly. Shoulders got bigger, chest, etc.

I feel that almost as soon as I turned 21 though, things just caught up with me. My lifestyle actually got less sedentary - had a job where I was on my feet, lived in a city with no car, active social life, probably even drank a little less and I definitely ate better - no bottomless fries in the cafeteria or 25 cent wing nights. But I started to notice my size 28 pants wouldn’t fit, then a double chin when I put my head down, that sort of thing.

Fast forward to 33, and if I have a bingy weekend I notice it in the mirror. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I was able to be one of those people for a while, but as I got older, even without that much in a change in activity level from college to after, there must have been a change in my BMR.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I think a key phrase here is "what they want". This idea fascinates me, because I'm coming to figure out that many "naturally thin" people just don't want that much food.

I "want" so much food that I get sick eating. That was the case when I was fat. Although I've changed my habits and even predilections somewhat, I still sometimes eat and eat and eat, far beyond the point of satiety into uncomfortable territory.

I don't think "naturally thin" people feel that way.

There's a great book called "Intuitive Eating" that discusses this exact point. Some people are natural intuitive eaters, i.e. they're in tune with their bodies' cues and don't have the desire to overeat, while some people (like me and probably most of America) eat more for many other reasons including emotions/atmosphere/habit/etc.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Move around a lot.

Doesn't Freelee the Banana Girl have a calorie intake of like, 6k cal a day or something crazy like that? But she sprints and jogs and walks from sunrise to sundown every day of her life, so.
  • Gibby349
    Gibby349 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Gibby349 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Because I live with one and I do see them all the time and have friends also who are like this
    So you're like with them at work/school, dates, out and about, etc. or just when they are home?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well the roomie doesn't work, and I'm guessing the OP does? So I'm thinking hidden cameras.

I'm thinking op.should spend more.time worrying about herself than her room mate.

Is it just me that thinks of single white female.here

Haha you are so immature .Who said it was my roomate ? And who said I was worried ?Seriously you guys on MFP need to be a bit more educated and maybe read over what I posted again

You said you live with the person. Your mom? Your wife? Sister? What difference does it make? I'm not sure why I assumed female, but if it's a guy, that's another reason they can eat more.

And it's not nice insulting people just because you're not getting the answers you're expecting. That's, erm, immature.

Where did I insult someone ? Immature is that the word you think is an insult.The truth hurts doesnt it but anyway I have the answer now so you dont need to waste your time arguing with some stranger on the internet that you will never know LOL

Yes, calling someone immature, especially where it's not warranted because YOU lack understanding on the topic and people are trying to HELP YOU understand, is definitely an insult. Quit projecting.

Oh really ? What about the comment you were laughing about with somebody else where they called me a "white single female' which I am not for your information.What if I so happened to be someone who lost a partner to death recently and you are there cracking immature jokes about someone you dont even know.Also why refer to someone as being 'white'.Why does it matter if someone is white or black ?
  • Gibby349
    Gibby349 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Because I live with one and I do see them all the time and have friends also who are like this
    So you're like with them at work/school, dates, out and about, etc. or just when they are home?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well the roomie doesn't work, and I'm guessing the OP does? So I'm thinking hidden cameras.

I'm thinking op.should spend more.time worrying about herself than her room mate.

Is it just me that thinks of single white female.here

Haha you are so immature .Who said it was my roomate ? And who said I was worried ?Seriously you guys on MFP need to be a bit more educated and maybe read over what I posted again

You said you live with the person. Your mom? Your wife? Sister? What difference does it make? I'm not sure why I assumed female, but if it's a guy, that's another reason they can eat more.

And it's not nice insulting people just because you're not getting the answers you're expecting. That's, erm, immature.

Where did I insult someone ? Immature is that the word you think is an insult.The truth hurts doesnt it but anyway I have the answer now so you dont need to waste your time arguing with some stranger on the internet that you will never know LOL

Yes, calling someone immature, especially where it's not warranted because YOU lack understanding on the topic and people are trying to HELP YOU understand, is definitely an insult. Quit projecting.

Oh really ? What about the comment you were laughing about with somebody else where they called me a "white single female' which I am not for your information.What if I so happened to be someone who lost a partner to death recently and you are there cracking immature jokes about someone you dont even know.Also why refer to someone as being 'white'.Why does it matter if someone is white or black ?

:huh: :noway:

'Single while female' is a film...

Well they werent talking about a film when they were looking for attention.They posted who else thinks this person is a 'Single white female'
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    BTW - OP - I agree with you. The childish attacks are really ridiculous. But this is the internet and you have to have a think skin. I personally ignore it.

Good luck.

BTW - I still haven't found the video I was looking for. I bet I'll stumble across it a year from now and then I won't be able to find this thread. :D
  • brendajfg
    brendajfg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dewd2 - I've watched every BBC diet show from Fat Families to Secret Eaters and I love the one you mentioned but don't recall the name. My husband is one of those people that shock others with the large amounts he eats in restaurants. They don't see the work he does to balance that or that although small he is solid muscle and can eat more calories. Physics don't work differently on our skinny friends.