Karen in Virginia
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate Uk <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    Got up to snow this morning, yuck. Part of the reason we moved from SD was to not have cold, snowy weather. A lot of it melted off and then it started snowing again this afternoon. I think I would like to curl up with a quilt and a good book and just hibernate for the rest of the day. I got my hair cut this morning and groceries bought. I am glad for that. Food choices have been going well.

Katla - Hope things to continue to go well for your DGD. I have a great niece who was diagnosed with diabetes at 8yo. She is now college age and continues to do well.

Mary and Janetr - Birthday wishes to both of you. Have a wonderful celebration.

Sharon - That story shows what a strong person you are to overcome such odds. My DD uses two different fork lifts in her job. She has had training but I still worry sometimes.

Lisa - Glad the trip is going well.

Becca - So glad you finally heard from the Nuke son.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    That you Sharon for telling us about that horrific story. Wow. I can't imagine that damage to your body, psyche and your family. I try to look at the silver limimg in everything, I am a half glass full person, and that would be that there is now a training done with that.

Happy birthday JanetR.

Our weather service is telling us that the most severe weather will start Sunday eve. It has never hit us hard in our neighborhood. I pray that continues, not that I am wishing something on some one else.

Love you all, Joyce, Indiana.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Mary ... Happy Birthday!

Regarding dishwashers ... I didn't have one until 2013. In 2013, my husband and I housesat for one of my bosses, and she had one. I loved it!! So when we moved into a house about 6 weeks later, we made sure it had a dishwasher, and we've had one in every house we've lived in since.

Up till 2013, I figured that there were only 2 of us ... what would we need a dishwasher for? And wouldn't it be a waste if there were only half a load each day?

But then I discovered that after dinner, I can quickly rinse some of the dishes (not all need it) and pop them into the dishwasher, and if it isn't full, I can wait to start it till the next day or one after, so I can do full loads. Plus a quick rinse takes a fraction of the time it took me to wash the dishes. Plus when I put them into the dishwasher, even if I'm not going to run the dishwasher that day, they are off the counter and out of the sink. My kitchen looks neat and tidy. My after dinner clean up is no time at all now.

And when it comes to unloading it, I often do that while waiting for the kettle to boil for my evening tea. I might only unload half of it in that time, but that's OK, I'll be back to boil the kettle for another cup of tea in an hour or so, and will finish unloading then.

Regarding lollies ... we get bags of them, year round, for cycling. We've discovered that they are a better choice than gels on our rides ... more convenient, less messy.

When we run events, we buy several large bags of lollies, divide them up, and hand out small baggies to each of the participants. Of course there are always some left over which we use on our rides.

And ... they're recommended for my university exams. :) The first few exams I had, I didn't bring any lollies because I didn't see the point. Then my last exam was a big 3-hour thing, and I figured I'd try jelly beans ... what a difference! Instead of fading halfway through the exam, and going blank on questions I should have known, etc. etc., I was full speed ahead the whole way through.

So today, I brought a small baggie of lollies from the collection we got for the event we ran last weekend, and munched on them all the way through the exam. :)

BTW - these are the gummy lollies. Some are like gummy bears and other animal shapes. Some are similar to that but filled with a jam-like filling. One of my favourite is a very sweet banana lolly that melts in the mouth.

Regarding my exam ... I wrote it today. Thank goodness that's done! I've got a break of just over 2 months now. It seemed to go well ... so hard to tell ... but I answered all the questions with what I hope are the right answers. And hopefully I got all the points my instructor was looking for.

Very, very, very tired now. All week this week I've had less than 6 hours of sleep each night, and last night I had 5 hours. I need at least 6.5 hours a night to feel functional and usually I get about 7/night.

Terry ... when I start feeling like that, I like going for long brisk walks, bicycle rides that push me, and things like that. Also sometimes just doing something different helps ... like going canoeing, or hiking up the local mountain.

I also found that going off Nexium helped me a lot! Plus also making sure to take magnesium, B12, Vit D, Evening Primrose Oil, and several others.

I was a bit concerned I was taking too much in the way of vitamins and minerals, but had bloodwork done to test that about a month ago, and my vitamin and mineral levels are right in the middle of the normal range, right where they should be.

Oh and also salt. I tried cutting way, way back on salt thinking salt was bad ... and that was not good for me at all! Now I salt everything in sight ... and again, my electrolyte levels are right in the middle of the normal range.

Why was your power out for so long? Sorry, I think I missed that bit ... been sort of preoccupied.

Safe travels to everyone travelling, moving, etc.

Machka in Oz

Power was out due to a bad storm. Came with a lot of wind. We lost one of our apple trees.

Terry
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Just talked on Messenger with Nuke son!!! He is fully mended from his pneumonia. This was his first week of Nuclear training. On his math exam he rec'd a 3.38 out of 4!! The class average he said was 3.24 so than is wonderful. He rec'd my box of brownies, candy and cookies. I am happy mom!
    Becca
    Oregon

Becca - Happy Day! Glad he is over his pneumonia and way to go on the math exam. He's happily munching mom's goodies - great feeling for you!! Your soup looks great, by the way!!

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,787 Member
    Options
    Back to the hotel and in bed,only thing is sharing a room with my dad is he is deaf as a post and has some crash banging thing on TV at full volume.Oy.. don't know how I will sleep..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Dishwashers - our leaking one has not been replaced, so I am hand washing dishes once or twice a day, mainly for the therapeutic hot water which my hands love when the weather gets cold. We really don't use that many dishes unless I'm making something big and then the spaghetti pot or dutch oven gets washed in the sink anyhow. I told DH maybe next year we'd look into getting a replacement.

If it was just me, there wouldn't be many dishes at all ... but my husband cooks the evening meal and he can get a little carried away with the pots and pans and everything sometimes. :) Although I must say that since we got the microwave that has improved.

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Rye – You can make you own ‘adult-sized’ weighted hula hoop. But about 5 – 5 ½ feet of 3/4th inch black flexible sprinkler tubing at your local Lowe’s, Home Depot, or hardware store and one double-ended connection piece. Roll the tube out so that the ‘store’s curving it’ is relaxed; then roll it around and meet the other end. Don’t push it, and put the connector into one end of it; then, pour in about ½ cup of water into the other end and connect it to the other connecting end. Then buy 2 rolls (small) of colored duct tape (or patterned) … these are smaller rolls than a small roll of the silver duct tape. Wrap the duct tape around the connection about 3 times, then start wrapping it around the hula hoop. Don’t worry that it crinkles. Use both rolls. If you get to the end before you need the other roll, then change directions when you are covering it. Then, you are ready to go. I put one foot slightly in front of the other (about shoulder width apart) and sling the hoop around and start rocking front to back. Don’t worry that you cannot keep it up, it will take some practice. Remember … it WILL BRUISE you; but, is great exercise for the ‘core’ and your waist. Store flat (under a bed out of the way). If you hang it up the shape will not be in a circle. You can roll it like a wheel to get it back into a circle, provided you have not crimped it. Good luck and Happy Hooping.

I no longer give to the “Red Cross” because everything has to go through them. Papa John’s made a bunch of pizzas to deliver to the shelters in January and they told them ‘the people had already had sandwiches) and refused them. I’d prefer a ‘hot’ piece of pizza over a PB&J sandwich on stale bread or that has been put in the fridge for no telling how long. I’ve heard people say that they would ‘accept them’ … pull out enough to feed the Red Cross workers and throw the rest ‘out’. How stupid is that? I don’t give directly to the Cancer Society; I will give to the Susan B. Kohnan Cancer group. That is the only ‘cancer’ fund raiser where the money goes to research and not to salaries.

The first time I went to PT (for my Vertigo) … he worked my butt off and I had sore spots in areas that I did not know I had muscles there to hurt. Doing a lot better. I called back this afternoon (or course, it is Friday … so they close at Noon). Left a message for Chris to see if I can bring in a pair of my boots with a heel; to see ‘how it will be’ and ‘whether or not’ I will be able to wear them, this year. I do walk a lot slower and more deliberate when I wear them; but, they are so nice and warm when it gets cooler here.

Barbie and Katla – When we go back to my hometown – for any reason – we usually stay with one of my classmates and her S/O. Might stay with another one that comes to my ‘lunch group’ when I go to the MD in Macon. They are both a load of fun to be around. I was thinking that my MD appointment was going to be that following Monday … but I think it will be the next Monday. I enjoy staying the entire weekend. We’re planning on having a Mega Reunion with a span of 5 years. 1968 – 1972. Our last one was great! I’m in the process of coming up with a logo to use on things. I came up with about 5 different ones. So I will mail them to the guy who is in charge of it.

Wendy – We left my plants, including my 8 orchids, home for Trey to water … just a little. He just about killed all of them. My big Jade plant had way too much water; my cactus – believe it or not – survived. About ½ of my orchids MIGHT be salvageable; but, never again. I wanted Louis to tell him that I wanted to ‘show’ him ‘how to water them’. He just told him to water them. I guess he figured that he would water them good a day or two before we came home. Now you will understand why we board Cracker when we go off, for a weekend or 10 days. I don’t want her sitting in her crate 23 hours out of 24. I just don’t trust them to treat her like we would. But, she is at a pet spa and gets outside several times a day and they will wash her before picking her up.

Joyce – I’m not sure about this but (maybe) it is the XL that is larger across the shoulders and the 1X is larger through the boobs – or the other way around. I used to be able to wear an XL; but, a 1X just fell off me. My DDnL#1 is right on up there (she won’t say what size she needs; and, reluctantly will shop at Lane Bryant – where she can find clothes that are fashionable; but, in her size … otherwise … she comes home ‘in tears’ because nothing fits her. But, their clothes are sort of expensive for her. He mother bought her an entire wardrobe when she started her ‘last’ job (she had lost some weight); but, she is bigger now than I think I have seen her. The other day she had on a top that I wanted to tell her to ‘give away’. It was a pretty color but had uneven rows of white going around her, the sleeves were cut out, too. If you are a big woman … stripes going around usually are not flattering to you. She wears those jeans that are ‘holey’ … Maybe I am ‘old-fashioned’ but, I don’t think they are ‘office appropriate’. She fussed about her job yesterday when they brought Louis’ card over [thinks everybody is talking about her]. GROW UP! Just learn what you can, keep your mouth shut, and you nose down working. It doesn’t have to be a ‘grindstone’ … just learn as much as you can. I think that the job is really a little bit ‘over her head’. I just hope they don’t let her go. She is making more $$$ than she ever has and it has great benefits. For once, they will be able to ‘dig themselves out of a hole they made for themselves’.

If your mouth is dry … Biotene puts out a mouthwash, spray, toothpaste, and a ‘gel’ that I normally put in my night guard so I won’t take it out of my mouth at night. And it tastes good. I have to keep mints in my pocketbook, my mouth can get dry in 3 minutes with me doing nothing to cause it.

Joyce – That kind of tornado hit Albany back in January of this year - 3 weeks after a ‘straight line wind storm’ hit. They could tell the difference when they went up in a helicopter. I’ve seem pictures of both … very obvious difference in the damage each does.

Sharon – Holy Moly – for both YOU and your brother.

Lanette – Louis and I are ‘cash only’ with the one exception of a business credit card. We have an emergency savings account; but, this isn’t an ‘emergency’. It’ll probably be our yearly Christmas gift to one another (to cover any and all holidays where presents are given). We’ll see how it goes. I’m not too worried about it. Took the bottom rack out of the dishwasher and use it as my drying rack and Louis has it emptied in the morning when I get up.

Heather – Here in the USA (I am assuming that it is the same in all 50 states, but don’t hold me to it). A buyer usually will put up what is called ‘earnest money’ … the more they put up the less likely they are to pull out (and lose it). They have 3 days to pull out for signing ‘any’ contract as a matter of law. The seller and buyer will also come to an agreement on the price and who will pay what in closing costs. It is up to the buyer to have the house inspected for damage, to have an appraisal to make sure the bank will finance it, and to have a ‘title check’ to make sure there are no liens on the property (such as a 2nd mortgage, tax lien, or any other type of lien). When we sold our house in Albany they showed we had a ‘tax lien’ on it … but, it had been discharged almost 8 years earlier when it got paid off. They had about 10 ‘stamps’ on the thing and we had to trace each one to make sure that it had been paid, it had been … we never got the Release and never thought about it because we would not have gotten a ‘free’ title because the house was financed. Seller ‘have’ to tell the buyer if there are any problems with the house (that they know of) … if they ‘lie’ about it … that is cause for the buyers to pull out and get their earnest money back. It is ‘rare’ that a buyer who has put up a significant amount of earnest money will pull out. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a contract contingent on the sale of someone ‘previous’ house. You are making a wise decision NOT to look for a house and get disappointed if the house you are trying to sell isn’t under a ‘good’ contract. Meaning that whoever is buying it has the $$$ to pay for it (from the sell of a previous house) or they agree to the terms of a refinance. We never agreed to take our house OFF the market for a ‘contingency sale by the buyer’. We just did not entertain any offers with a contingency. The house we bought in Albany was a ‘foreclosure’ and UGLY as all get out. But, Louis and I had a lot of imagination so we got it for a steal. Great neighborhood and just our painting it and adding a F/P gave us a ‘lot of sweat equity’ in the house and sold it for a good profit.

Rori – I hope to get to the 140’s … I think that is about where I will need to be to get to a ‘normal’ BMI. I’d like to break through 160lbs and stay there (or better yet, continue).

Karen in Virginia – For the first time in probably 20+ years – Thanksgiving dinner will NOT be at my house. WOO-HOO – I think part of it was because I commented that ‘if’ we did not have a working – they (guys) would have to wash, dry, and put away all the dishes and food. So Jenn’s Mom is coming out to cook at their house.

Terry – If I am going to get depressed it is around the 16th of September … I try NOT to think about all the ‘anniversaries’ of unpleasant things that have happened to me on that date. I also ‘stay home’, too.

Becca – Glad you heard from “Nuke” son and that everything is going well for him. Congrats on the pants being too big, and being able to give them away so quickly.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Rori, it’s so wonderful to hear how healthy you are and how good you feel. Keep it up, my friend.

Terry, ((((Hugs)))) to you. Sometimes we just go there for no reason but I hope it’s a short trip for you and you get back to yourself soo.

Wendy, after all the work to get ready for your trip, I sure hope you can relax and forget things at home.

Joyce, I think most of us enjoy/want/need our alone time. I get the idea that men don’t need it. Mine is often when DH is out shopping for us as I rarely go to the grocery store. I hope you don’t get any bad weather.

Sharon, that was one serious accident!!! I’m so thankful that you are ok now and with us.

Barbie, all I can say is I’m glad you have the snow and cold and not us. It was a beautiful day here in the mid 70’s.

Heather, I had to laugh because the truth is, many of us can’t quite afford what we’d like in a house. I do hope things work out this time and in a timely manner.

KarenVA, good for you on putting the bagels in the freezer. Cinnamon rolls are my weak spot.

Rita, I agree with everyone. Great picture!! I’d follow the sun too if I didn’t live where it is warm all year.

Janetr, I like to celebrate my birthday for a week, too. Well, I used to. To be honest, they don’t get much celebrating any more but I do have some friends that try to spoil me. It’s fun and I’m glad to hear you are having a wonderful week with loved ones.

Terry, glad to hear you are staying busy. I’m sure that helps.

Allie, so glad you and your Dad are having a great time.

Kelly, I love Christmas, too and am having fun planning the Christmas party. This is actually something that is always done by the Junior Regent (like the VP) so not something I volunteered for. Today I went in a store and found great gift bags at a good price, but also decorated gift boxes that I think will hold the candles. I have to measure and then may go back and get them. You do understand that I am doing all this not knowing how many people will sign up to come to the party. Lol I just can’t wait until the last minute…that’s just not me.

Becca, glad to hear that Nuke son is well and back to work.

Marcelyn, great picture of the crowds.

I got my nails done today and then went to Hamricks to see if I could find a couple of tops for cooler weather. All that trip did was remind me of the weight I’ve gained and the roll just above my waist. No clothes for me!!! I have got to get serious about my eating and exercise. Someone just kick me! k1609.gif*looking out for Pip* I did buy a new cape. I have a gray one that is all I use most of the winter and today I got a winter white one that is sooooo soft, I can't wait to use it.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you. And [url=http://yoursmiles.org/t-

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    <3