WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord give me strength! This is what husband picked from the food bank today!!
    fg0q7vee117j.jpg

bmu6hfthfo63.jpg

I just have to realize those aren't for me! I am going to make some mini loaves with bananas, dried fig pieces, and apple sauce. I did choose some great items for me though:
    Canned pumpkin
    Sweet potato purée
    Albacore tuna
    Overripe bananas!
    Hemp bread (never tried it but I'll let you know)
    Some fresh pears
    And a 10 lb turkey!
    I sent my middle son a message saying we scored a turkey, so they are welcome to our home! Its kind of strange, him and his wife moved out of military housing, and she is on her leave, (she has until end of month before she is out of the Navy). So they are at her parents place in Vacaville CA. Now she and her Mom are going to Disneyland the 9th thru the 12th. Then on Nov 13th they drive up to their apartment in Vancouver WA. My sons birthday is on the 11th but she won't be with him then. He's just sitting around the in-laws house waiting for his life to start. They drove in separate cars from where they were stationed at to Vacaville, so why can't my son just drive up and she can come up on the 10th?! Well, they each will be taking a dog, and he said she wouldn't drive up by herself. So once again son gets nothing. Sometimes I think the world revolves around that girl, or she just thinks it should. OK enough of dissing my daughter in-law! She is a nice girl, but her activities don't involve my son, and that makes me sad for him!

Well, lunchtime for me!!
    Becca
    Oregon

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Wendy - I would farm-sit in a heartbeat. I'd catch the first plane if I could.

And I think you are right - actually hiring someone unrelated to do the job (or making a swap with them) might be worth it in the future.

I recall we once hired the neighbor kids (middle school age) to mind our little farm when we took off for a couple days - even with lists and walking them through all the chores, we came home to find sheep standing by the empty water trough, chicken feeder empty, etc. Guess that's the difference between trying to teach "city kids" and growing up on a farm and knowing intuitively what needs tending to.

Is there anyone at your veterinarian's office you could hire to come out a couple times a day and make sure everyone is fed and watered? I often thought if we still had the farm, I'd check there first. Actually, there or a nurse/medical worker. Someone who maybe "gets it" when it comes to basic needs.

The "Heaven" book sounds great, I love to read/hear about those things as well.

Sending happy thoughts your way that things work out fine and you can enjoy your holiday! o:)

Lanette

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - My son has a degree in Product Design Engineering. He had an important international design job for 15 years, travelling round the world, but had to resign through workplace bullying and anxiety. He suffers horribly from anxiety. He was the same as a child. He is a very talented designer. Now he is working in a warehouse, which is better than living on benefits. I have to try to stop myself worrying about him. He is morbidly obese and pre diabetic. If he gets through the day that is a victory. He now has adopted two retired greyhounds which have literally saved his life. That is also how he met his girlfriend. The dogs are his life.
    I hope to visit him soon. It is a long journey. I find it hard to be around him for long, but I would never let him know that. I had post natal depression after my second son was born and it all seemed to start then. I do feel guilty. Between the two boys I had a still born, full term, beautiful daughter.

I wish him well and really hope he will find happiness.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your positiveness! Today's totals are:
    Breakfast-
    Yogurt w/ walnuts
    Lunch-
    1/5 th of my Red Baron pizza w/ sliced tomatoes and some mozzarella cheese
    Cottage cheese
    (My plan is to dip my pizza into my cottage cheese!)
    Dinner-
    Beets w/ EVOO dressing
    Applesauce
    Daily totals calories 900, 46 g of fats, 48 g of proteins.
    Another awesome day!

Heather I'm so sorry for the passing of your baby daughter. Hugs my precious friend.

Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Thanks Becca <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Janet!

Congrats Becca! Way to go....try to remember how good it feels to see that number going down when you look at the hubs pastries.

It’s Bedlam Saturday. BOOMER! Hubs and I are on the back porch watching. It’s beautiful here.

Weight was down a few ounces yesterday, I’ll take it! We are going to meet my Aunt in San Antonio tomorrow for lunch. She is visiting from Oregon with a friend. I’ve stalked the menu and found a salad I’m happy with.

Michelle, the wedding pictures are beautiful!! Can’t wait to see one of you (and your manicure you decided on).

Terry - screw the ex. He’s an ex for a reason! I hope you are feeling better each day.

I got my hours cut to two days a week. It’s a good thing, I prefer two days to the three I had been working all year. I really enjoyed my unexpected Thursday off. I took 5 bags of the hubs and I’s clothes to a local charity and got the cleaning ready to go for the stuff we are keeping. Some of you may remember my storage boxes of multiple sizes of clothes. That’s what we were going through. Some of them I have to wonder why I kept. Put the stuff that is too big in the boxes and put them back up in the shop. I need to clean out shoes now.

Have a great weekend ladies.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Heather you did the best you could at the time when your son was born. As I have told my own sons I know I was not a perfect mother. Sometime they have to become their own parent and make the choices that serve them best. What is hardest for me is stepping back and letting them figure out their own problems. I too am sorry to hear about your baby girl.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that my WW scales have been going crazy. Earlier this week they said 160 and now they say 170. Boo! :'(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    janetr: Happy Birthday!!!

Kim: It is great to see you post! Your garden seems like a piece of heaven that will keep you in good spirits during the growing season, and in good health as you eat your produce. :smiley:

Becca: Congratulations on your loss!!!! WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: Good luck with your prospective move. I hope things fall into place this time around. I'm happy to hear that your sad/anxious son has now found a girlfriend. I hope she helps to lift his spirits. :star:

Becca: Tell your DH to get all the sweets he wants, AND EAT THEM BEFORE HE GETS HOME. Silly man. :ohwell:

Wendy & Lanette: I think it is necessary to have someone check on livestock daily but gardens can be watered automatically. We've left our garden and hanging fuchsia baskets while we've been away for weeks at a time, and they are automatically watered by our drip system. It is less expensive than paying for help and a lot more reliable. As to help for taking care of the livestock--are there 4Hers in the area that can be paid to help? It might be worth trying to contact 4H to see about the possibility. :flowerforyou:

I went out to the stable and rode Arrow today. He was a total brat so I put him back in his stall and came home. I did interrupt his lunch. I need to find out the feeding schedule so that doesn't happen again next time.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Kim - What a great gift! I love that!!
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Heather, how heartbreaking to lose your baby girl. I'm sure you did the best you could with your boys, at some point they do need to put on their big boy pants and get control of their own lives! Too bad that your son was bullied at work, some other people's kids clearly need to grow up also... Perhaps the girlfriend will get him interested in doing some extra activities and eating healthier. Unfortunately us moms do have to step back and let them do their own thing, not always easy, I know!
    Kim, that mailbox idea sounds wonderful! I think your friend would really enjoy that! And it's something truly from the heart, best gifts of all!
    Terry, a previous poster is correct, the ex is an ex for a reason! Don't let his attitude get you down, he's the unworthy one!
    Oy! I did read the rest of the posts, but my memory isn't what it used to be (!!) so nothing else stuck!
    Yesterday didn't go all that well, my after dinner snacking got a little out of control. Oh well, today is another day. Having a hard time getting a handle on this whole business, I know quite well what I have to do to lose weight, actually doing it (not eating crap!) is another story.
    I can't believe that the food bank puts out stuff like doughnuts etc, although I guess they put out what they get...
    Congrats on scoring the turkey!! :smiley: (Sorry, can't remember who scored the turkey tho!)
    Awesome photo of downtown Houston with all the fans! Hubby and I were also happy to see the Astros win, primarily because he hates the Yankees and it was the Astros who defeated them! lol
    So, snow yesterday a.m., not much fortunately. Cold this morning, some flakes threatened, but now it's raining so back to normal! Just hope the temp doesn't drop too much tonite, or we will be in trouble!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day

Jog, slow- 21.23min, 10.35min mi, 2.m = 228c
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Janetr: Happy Birthday!!!! <3<3<3

Becca: Way to go!!! You've been making some awesome meals. Your photos make me hungry.

Heather: How nice that your anxious son has found a girlfrien d who shares his passion for greyhounds. I hope she helps him get healthier.

Had a chiropractic adjustment yesterday followed by therapeutic massage. Felt great yesterday and last night, but today, after running errands and mopping floors, the pain in my back and neck is back. Not happy. :o

Made the Skinny Taste zucchini soup. Super easy and delish with a dollop of plain yougurt and a few drops of siracha hot sauce. Added a cheesy quesadilla for DH to have on the side.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Got in a swim after work, so yay! Came home to husband making King Ranch Casserole, which smells Yummy but comes in at 950 cal a serving so I’ll have to be satisfied with a bite to taste it. Had some of the pea soup I made yesterday and a very spicy virgin Bloody Mary to distract my taste buds. Not sure if it worked- lol.

In-law kerfuffle today- it looks like I’m going to have to serve as peacemaker. Ironic considering the state of my own family interactions.

Turns out we have an excuse (convention we wanted to attend) to go to San Antonio in January, but our friends already have house guests that weekend so it doesn’t look like we will be able to afford to go :(

Was so tuckered out this evening (started work at 6:45 a.m.) that I took a nap in the recliner and had a kitty crawl into my lap to keep me company. That is such a peaceful feeling.

My niece is going to homecoming tonight. I’m being indoctrinated into the tradition of the “mum” - something a simple yankee gal like me finds inexplicable.

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @Machka9 thank you for the link to the article. That was SUPER enlightening. No one really talks about what to expect as menopause rolls around.

No ... and some of us don't have family who can tell us.

My mother had a hysterectomy at an early age, and although they didn't take everything and she experienced some symptoms, they are of course different from mine. My grandmother said that one day she noticed everything had stopped ... and that was that. I have reconnected with an aunt on my father's side and I'm getting a bit more information from her but not a lot. And there wasn't the awareness of it all back then.

M in Oz
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Janet. Enjoy your family.
    Rye- you must be pretty close to me because I live in Hood Cty. Johnson Cty is five houses from me!!!
    Suebdew in hot TX