WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Literally went to sleep sitting straight up last night while my husband was in the bath. I remember him coming to bed, and that was about it for me. But... we made it as far as Canton, NC, a little lumber mill town in the mountains. Went out to eat at a place called the Southern Porch, and had some amazing food - shrimp and grits for me, Corey had something beefy, I forget what it's called.

Happy birthdays and other celebrations, sorry I've been so inattentive. Been reading every night (except last night) but too wiped out to remember anything for more than a few seconds.

Michele - thank you so much for the invitation to stop - but with driving both vehicles and our own mutual exhaustion, we're in that mode where we just want to be where we're going. Not good company! I'm letting Corey sleep in until 6 a.m. this morning, as sunrise is at 7 a.m. Learned yesterday not to try to drive in the dark of the early morning.

For more about that, and for pics of the journey, you can find them at a blog I started after we left called Coffee and Egg. I'll be posting pics there this morning, early. I tend to start blogs at major transition points in my life.

And for those who want to know more about mums, here's a site with a number of them. I was a duchess in the Homecoming parade the year I was a senior, and there's a picture somewhere of me in my formal gown with a mum. These corsages have gotten crazier and bigger over the years, and at some point, the guys started wearing them as "garters" around their upper arms, as well. That was a new one on me. Flower shops honestly make a major chunk of their income for the YEAR at Homecoming time, building these things. I love my home state, but we're weird about some things. OK, a lot of things.

Love y'all,
    Lisa, Now in NC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Katla - Judging from its name alone, I live in a city, as Longyearbyen means Longyear City. :laugh: That's a bit of a stretch for a burg with a population of 2000, but we DO have a hospital and an Olympic-size swimming pool.

Barbie - About your dog-walking friend's offer to drive you to and from classes so you don't have to rent a car for Jake's trip - Now there's an example of good karma! :flowerforyou:

Terry - Glad to hear more sunshine in your voice! t113002.gif About Thor's good pecs... I recently read one of those silly click-bait lists on my computer, this one about astounding transformations celebrities have pulled off in the course of their work, and Thor was mentioned. For every film, the actor had to do crazy weight training and eat protein bars all the time.

Busy me this weekend. Hubby and I went to our grandson's birthday party yesterday. He loved the stuffed toy we got him (a baby seal in an ice cave). In the evening we went out to dinner with my husband's best friends from high school. (One of them was the diabetic I mentioned the other day.) For a couple years, those four guys did everything together!

I ordered the grilled octopus and it was heavenly! Served with tiny boiled baby potatoes in a touch of melted butter and chervil leaves, green beans, and aioli. Limited myself to just one glass of white wine and came away from the meal a tiny bit heavier but with memories that will live on my taste buds for a long time.

Hubby heads off to Oslo for his conference tomorrow and I start on the teaching week from hell. Tuesday and Thursday will be worst, when I'll be preparing for or in front of students from 8 am to 8 pm. Ugh!
    /Penny, earning a living, currently not at thet07190.gif

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    DJ - This is what I found.
    9dsryn0ew786.png

FYI - Brighton also has two universities. My younger son went to the original one, SUSSEX, (the county) which is famous for its 60s architecture by Sir Basil Spence. The newer one, called Brighton, used to be a polytechnic (technical education), but in later years they have all converted to universities. Both campuses are together up in the Downs and next to the football ground.

Having some dim sum that I bought the other day for lunch. I have it with chilli sauce. :D They are 40 calories each.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I am so glad you started a blog about your journey. Gave me the willies when you and Corey got separated. Happy that the end is in sight for you. Humidity and green galore! Welcome to your next adventure. <3 Thanks for sharing it with us.

Karen in NY - great that you were able to arrange your day and spend time with your DH today. 6 years is not too early to start planning for retirement, that's for sure. I thought I had ours planned out early then the closer it got, started going to retirement seminars and fine tuned it. How is your eczema? (I think it was you, lol.) Hope it's fading away!

Heather
    - good to hear your younger DH has a gal-pal. Did you say he has Asberger's or a type of autism? Reminds me so much of my nephew. Smart as a whip but very sensitive and isn't good at reading other people.
    By the way, did you let your Hove kids know you are considering moving there again and if so, how did they take it?

Dana - great to hear from you! Glad you had a good visit with DD and looks like a bang-up Halloween. EEK lol. Let us know how that homeopathic treatment works for your neuropathy - good luck with that. Bet Bob and Dolly missed you a lot. I know we did!

Rye - wow, that's some MUM!! Now that looks like a good side business for any of you crafty gals. Janetr? You like working with ribbons and sequins! <3:D

Pip
    - good luck to you and Kirby! Run like the wind!!

Allie - rest up! WOW that was some trip. OK, I missed the part about what you took your dad to in VA - what was the event?

So.... the weather forecast said possibility of 2" to 5" of snow after midnight this morning. I don't see any, and it's 40 degrees out. Barbie? Sue? Evie? Maybe it's all up north. We did have some slushy snow yesterday, didn't stick at all and just made the deck slippery. :#

My brain is wired to daylight savings time so I was up at 3 am, catching up with you ladies and the world.

Yesterday when I did my strength training, I actually did a few goblet squats just to see what it was all about. I'd been holding off with the kettle bell as my lower back had been hurting a lot. Feeling lots better, so I'll venture on with it a bit. I've been watching more videos.

My dear young (she's 45) BFF has had debilitating migraines for the past several years. They are so bad, she even ends up at the ER several times a year. She has been tested, poked, CT scanned and you name it. Tried allopathic medicine, naturopathic, even medical pot. She's OK for a week or two then wham. Likely related to perimenopause. She works 3/4 time and is busy, busy, busy after work and on weekends.

I thought about her... and realized she reminds me so much of the "weekend" headaches I would get at her age. Busy all week then somehow the "let down" of a weekend would trip something. I made it through with neck exercises, Dramamine (before I discovered Triptans), relaxation techniques = self - hypnosis.

After menopause they did get a lot better, tho now sinus is the trigger.

So, do any of you have experience with the "weekend migraines" and if so, what worked for you?

Have a good day!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lanette can't believe you guys are getting snow. Thanks for asking about my "eczema/"...no improvement unfortunately after a week with steroid cream and antibiotic. I have a followup next week and in december I'm going to an allergist. I am still convinced this is wheat rash, but who knows. still itching in NY, KAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Maschca, you put a question mark of the 3 year nursing school.mto me that's the best kind. Here in the states it is called a diploma degree although we no longer have them. But in our 3 years, it was mostly hospital based learning. 1st danof classes we were over in the hospital. Granted it was just learning how to talk to patients amd get usd to the sounds amd smells but we were there. M sister started out at a 4 year degree and at the end of her first year they had never been in a hosptial. Sincewe were a teaching hosptal, we would have students from 3 different schools of nursing. So,e two year and sme four. The four year students would learn how to give an enema but had not learned how to place a bedpan.

I wasn't sure whether my mother's 3-year nursing program was a degree or called something else. Anyway, she took her nurses training in the early 1960s. She did a number of months in different areas like wards, operating, and emergency, and really liked emergency.

As a teenager, I used to read her medical texts. I found it all fascinating and did quite well in Biology. My mother was pleased when I finally got a job within the Health Department a few years ago. :)

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) It's snowing again this morning. Lighter than Friday morning. The snow from Friday was almost gone last night but now we have a new light blanket of white. The dogs love it. Bessie likes to eat it. We won't notice the time change until sunrise when we'll have more of our usual walking in the light instead of dark (sunrise yesterday was 8:04).

:)Lisa, your traveling sounds exhausting. When we traveled with our RV we stopped only at truck stops and RV parks. Jake had a long falling out with a friend because the friend wanted us to come to his house in Chicago and we just wanted to get past Chicago on the freeway and get to the RV park in a small town to the north.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    Lanette
    Took him to his 65 college reunion..and he had a blast..I have to admit I had a great time too.just the drive was hard darn close to 10 hrs down and the same back and I did all the driving ..I did not want my dad behind the wheel as he does not pay attention and he slept alot.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The term homecoming is used because Homecoming is the first game played at a schools home stadium after coming back from their first away game at another school.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: I love the idea of painting a mailbox and filling it with garden tools for your friend. What a nice way to keep some essential tools on hand at the garden and protected from the elements. :heart:

Dana: I love the witch costume and the photos of your grand children. What fun! :smiley:

bjmcq: I am so glad that you haven't given up on yourself. CICO is the road to success--Calories In v Calories Out. When I was in the active losing phase of this, I used measuring devices to measure portions consistently. Now I let myself guestimate, but the tools are still at hand should I need them. I have a food scale and three sizes of dishers. Good luck with this and welcome back! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I'm glad your friend has offered to take you to dance class so that you and Jake don't have the extra expense of renting a car during his trip to Seattle. :heart:

Becca: The food bank does fabulous work. We contribute our beverage cans and bottles to the one here in our town. They have volunteers who return them for the bottle/can deposits and that gives them some extra cash to get things needed by their clients. For those who live in states without a bottle bill, Oregon enacted this law years ago to encourage recycling. Every beverage container for things like beer and soft drinks has a 5 cent deposit that the customer pays at the check-stand. When the empty beverage container is returned, they get the deposit back. This adds up to quite a bit of money over time. Several other states and Canadian Provinces also have adopted this law. The cans and bottles are recycled rather than going into a landfill. It is so positive that I wonder why it hasn't been adopted everywhere. :heart:

Machka: Your beach pictures make me long to visit the beach here--except that you're going into summer and we're in the fall/winter season.:star:

Today is fallback day for our clocks. All of the electronic clocks adjust themselves but our watches and Grandmother Clock have to be adjusted manually. DH's watch stem seems to have frozen and he can't adjust his. I tried, too, without luck. We'll have to take it to a jeweler today. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Machka - Tasmania looks so beautiful. I would love to visit some day and be guided round the National Parks.

Lanette - It is my elder son who has the anxiety. He has never been diagnosed with Aspergers, but he is very obsessive and didn't have friends as a child. But he is very sensitive. <3 He used to be an triathlon coach, was incredibly fit and won 2 county prizes for his coaching. His depression and the medication put a huge amount of weight on him. He has always been MUCH happier when he has a girlfriend. :D

Karen - I know you are right. It just feels as if a switch went off after my younger son was born and I went into postnatal depression. (It was only just over a year since the stillbirth) Strangely, in the newspaper yesterday there was a report on schizophrenia maybe being an auto immune disease. :o They are doing trials with treating patients with MS drugs. Very interesting. There is so much in our physiology that we don't know about yet. In my family runs severe depression and, in my ex's, schizophrenia.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Suebdew & KJ I am not far! The location I mentioned is MiL place ( she wants to be rid of some stuff like a hideous China set that none of my nieces claimed from her and I’m probably going to be recruited to organize things) just south of us. We are in Tarrant County - south Ft. Worth. So a short stone’s throw north - or in Texas terms: practically neighbors.

I’d love to meet up with folk except for my big limitation: I can’t drive - thus people would have to come in to Fort Worth nearby or somewhere there is direct public transportation to which I can access. It is generally too much hassle for folks (which I totally understand- people often choose to live outside DFW- Arlington so they need not drive in our traffic!). But if people were interested I live not far from the Ft. Worth zoo area and TCU university/ hospital area so there is a lot of stuff locally and of course, Ft. Worth downtown ( Sundance Square environs) is easy for me to get to.

The thing I miss most about Chicago is downtown, I must say. Any and ALL Shopping needs could easily be met in Chicago downtown, and even when I didn’t work downtown I would schedule days to go there to do stuff. Ft worth downtown has good restaurants but little in the arts/shopping.

KJ if your plan is to be driving by Chicago at first light – that’s a good plan for a weekend day. However you will be running into rush-hour traffic if you were talking about a weekday. You might want to think about that.

Lisa stay safe on the rest of the trip! I know it is just projecting my limitations and insecurities- but your trip scares the willies out of me!

Rori The zucchini soup makes me want to go make some! I’m in soup making and freezing mode at the moment ( perfect high filling/low calorie nutritional food for my ‘fast’ days).

Kim Creative, thoughtful, personal: just a fantastic gift that I’m sure your friend will totally love!

Thor & Movies it irritates the husband, but I generally don’t like to see movies, especially action movies in the theater. I get so bored during ‘action sequences’ that I try to only watch them at home with a book or tablet in my lap. So I won’t be enjoying Chris Hemsworth in Thor this weekend. Unusually I’m going to the movies next weekend — I’m very excited for Kenneth Brannaugh’s version of Murder on the Orient Express.

The weather is crazy - 88 degeees yesterday I think. :(. I’d eagerly take the snowy weather - my hot flashes are going into extreme territory the past few days and the heat doesn’t help. These extreme hot flash times do seem to follow a 32 ish day cycle - which was pretty much my unmedicated cycle. So hormones, obviously...

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye