WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Rye totally ridiculous isn't it. And that "mum" probably set him back $100!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    OK, a couple questions for the Americans in the crowd ...

What is homecoming?
    What is a prom?
    Are they the same thing and do they have anything to do with graduation?
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Rye - This Okie has never figured out the appeal of the mum thing either. We had mums for homecoming as a fund raiser.....it was a mum, as in one live mum, with our school initials in pipe cleaner. That was it.

Okie
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Machka - Homecoming is a football game and often followed by a dance that has become a semi-formal event. It is in the fall. When I was in high school, it was jeans and homecoming t-shirt event.

Prom is in the spring and is normally a formal dance. There are often after prom parties that are lock-ins. They will have the lock-in at a YMCA, hotel conference room or something and everyone has to be in by a certain time and then can't leave before a set time the next morning. They have games and food and prizes to try to keep the kids from going out drinking and driving after prom.

Neither has anything to do with graduation.

Okie
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Yeah Barbie! That is great!

BeeJay - Hang in there. I traded the same few pounds for almost a month. I understand your frustration. I hope your load lessons and you are able to concentrate on yourself.

Okie
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Becca ... congratulations on the weight loss!

Kim ... I love your mailbox idea!

Dana ... that is an awful pic of you and your granddaughter!! LOL!

Machka ... a homecoming is a tradition centered around a football game, parade, and coronation of a king and queen and often a semi-formal dance. Alumni often return for this particular day. The prom is a formal dance held at the end of the year. Both tend to focus on seniors in high school and college, but really have nothing to do with graduation.

I have officially eaten everything in sight and will now be heading off to bed ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island, well its me that went to the food bank and scored the turkey! Haha! They get what they get, and much is breads, beans and sweets. Much is canned. I have seen the food bank ladies at my grocery store buying canned items on sale. They get foods that are weeded out of Costco, and Safeway. I am grateful for it, because without a food bank, our cupboards would be a bit on the lean side.

Kayla, that would be a neat trick to see, my husband jamming 5 doughnuts and a container of strudel bites!!! Haha! I am stronger than any doughnut! Knowing I can lose weight on my own gives me POWER. Power to say no! See my cape??? Its purple with glitter! * big grin*

Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    bjmcq wrote: »
    I am thinking of you all, as you rush through your day off, doing errands, preparing for family dinners,
    and just getting ready for the next week ( ironing ....groan). Even the retired folks have a lot going on I find....I hope you all have a sane and calm food plan this weekend no matter what. There is so much to test us.

For my part, I am tired of losing and gaining and losing the same 12 pounds....but that is as far as I get, and then it becomes harder and harder to lose anything else. Then I lose interest in trying and controlling that most basic function - deciding what passes my lips,.

There is much on my plate these days, too much in fact, but I am determined to stay on my food focus. And my healthy approach to a never ending series of social events and food. This may be my 3rd or 4th serious attempt, but failing is learning, and learning is useful....and not giving up one day may be a natural, normal thing for my brain.

Thanks for your support, you have mine! beejay

Beejay, you have so much willpower in losing that 12 lbs and that's it? Don't sell yourself short. It isn't that you stop trying, you are just settling for not putting yourself first. Be the driver in your own life. If you have social event, pick like your favorite actress and before the event happens, write the scene in your head. Make the event paramount, not what is being served. Have situations in your scene memorized. How you will handle them. Eat like a slim person, and take a spoonful of an item, not a serving spoonful either! I have confidence in you!!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Becca, The Elk's Club where we hold our line dance classes regularly collects food for the local food bank. They choose a different item each month and members place their contributions on the table in the lobby. When I see them, I always think of you. The various items they've collected have been peanut butter. canned tuna, oatmeal, and Cheerios. They also have two barrels for miscellaneous contributions and a locked box for cash donations.
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Terry getting better in VT, Happy 11th Anniversary to you!!!!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Becca, The Elk's Club where we hold our line dance classes regularly collects food for the local food bank. They choose a different item each month and members place their contributions on the table in the lobby. When I see them, I always think of you. The various items they've collected have been peanut butter. canned tuna, oatmeal, and Cheerios. They also have two barrels for miscellaneous contributions and a locked box for cash donations.

Awe Barbie, its nice to be thought of! I appreciate you!!! Hugs!!
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Simguess more ally never thought what the definition of a city is. I think we are a city. We do have hospitals, no cathedral bum a y Catholic Churches. Our area has a Vatican appointed Bishop. We are the Hub bub of our area here. We are called the tri state and everyone in the tri state comes to us for medical care, the mall, stuff like that.

Maschca, you put a question mark of the 3 year nursing school.mto me that's the best kind. Here in the states it is called a diploma degree although we no longer have them. But in our 3 years, it was mostly hospital based learning. 1st danof classes we were over in the hospital. Granted it was just learning how to talk to patients amd get usd to the sounds amd smells but we were there. M sister started out at a 4 year degree and at the end of her first year they had never been in a hosptial. Sincewe were a teaching hosptal, we would have students from 3 different schools of nursing. So,e two year and sme four. The four year students would learn how to give an enema but had not learned how to place a bedpan.

Some of you had need talking yesterday about health care. We had a health care fair today. All of it was free. They did all the tests that can be from a droplet of blood which usually covers the glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides. They also did height and weight,moody fat, B/P and gave free flu and pneumonia shots. I know our local Sam's club has frequent health fairs, so,e are geared to men and some women and some are general. So there are many opportunities in cities to get things done.

Don't forget to put your clocks back tonight! And if you do it, change your batteries on your smoke alarms.

Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say this about prom. The way it is funded varies among schools, but around here, the juniors have fundraisers and ticket sales to pay for prom and host it, while the seniors are the guests of honor and don’t pay for tickets. You can only attend if you are a junior or senior or a date of a junior or senior. I don’t know if other schools have this limitation or not.