Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Rori- yay on your accomplishment!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT today. While I was doing it, I noticed that my tablet was running low on battery so I came home instead of exercising more. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Total Body Strength Training DVD.

After exercising went to the neurologist. He put me on the once-a-year visit plan, which is good. Then stopped at the Salvation Army and then Aldi. Came home and the secretary of Newcomers was here, she was having problems with her computer so Vince was helping her out. Made more chocolate bran muffins for me and brownies for Vince. He's out preparing to <sob> close the pool.

DJ - now I know to go the day before my physical to get the labs done. You would think that the desk would tell you that!

Joyce - please stay safe. Last night at bowling one guy was telling us that he had 65 trees. Now that the tornado came thru, he's down to 5 trees. He got an estimate to get the downed trees removed. The first estimate was no more than $30,000. He's going to get 2 more estimates.

M - when my kids were little, I'd let them eat the candy that can't be frozen then freeze the rest. I'd give them a piece or two in their lunchbox every day. Halloween candy many times would last until Easter candy....lol

Sharon - OMG!!!!! I can see how that would impact your life.

Karen in VA - stir fry veges and eggs are that high in calories? What made it so high? Leave those bagels in the freezer!

Rye - I met this lady in AC Moore yesterday that had a service dog. I asked her where she got it from as I don't know of any place around here. She said that she took a course on the internet and was able to get her dog certified. I'd never heard of something like that!

janetr - do some celebrating for me! Happy Birthday!

Becca - how wonderful for you and your Nuke son!

Rye - when I do HIIT, it is usually on the elliptical. I find that I can quickly (more so than the treadmill) increase my speed. I usually go for 20 seconds at around 190-200 steps/min then for 10 seconds recover at about 130 steps/minute.

Lisa - day after tomorrow you'll probably be driving right by me. If you'd like, you're welcome to stop but I completely understand if you want to just continue driving. We're exit 126 off of 40.

Well, today I was crying. Why you ask? We had to <sob> close the pool. Well, March will be here before I know it. Pump drained, heater drained, pipe to the waterslide drained, probes out, cover on, skimmer cleaned real well. Can't wait for March.

Michele in NC
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I just chime in here once in a while, and usually with random questions that I don't know who to ask. So, here it is.....

Has anyone gone from the standard Estrogen/Progesterin BC to the progesterone-only mini-pill, and what did you experience? My doctor changed mine last week stating that Estrogen had some high risks. I'm 52 and have been on some type of BC for 30 years. So I have no idea where I am with menaupause. In the past week, I've had raging headaches, bad enough to keep me up at night. But WAY less anxiety and I'm in a way better mood. Plus, I swear, I can feel my hair growing. Has anyone experienced similar?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hi Ladies. I just chime in here once in a while, and usually with random questions that I don't know who to ask. So, here it is.....

Has anyone gone from the standard Estrogen/Progesterin BC to the progesterone-only mini-pill, and what did you experience? My doctor changed mine last week stating that Estrogen had some high risks. I'm 52 and have been on some type of BC for 30 years. So I have no idea where I am with menaupause. In the past week, I've had raging headaches, bad enough to keep me up at night. But WAY less anxiety and I'm in a way better mood. Plus, I swear, I can feel my hair growing. Has anyone experienced similar?

I did that back in the mid-1990s for birth control purposes, and it was better. With the old stuff, I experienced "morning sickness" for several days each time I started another month. With the mini-pill that went away.

But, for me, it turned out that a) I didn't need it anyway and b) I shouldn't have been on any sort of bc pill.

I found this useful ... and I'm happy to say that I am in late perimenopause according to this timeline. :)
    http://www.cemcor.ca/resources/how-can-i-tell-i-am-perimenopause

Figure%202%20-%20CIHR%20KT%20Grant%202017%20Feb%206_1.jpg

I also found this site useful because it talks about symptoms that don't usually appear in the perimenopause list:
    https://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    My oldest daughter flew in from Denver yesterday evening to be here for my birthday on Sunday, we all went to dinner along with Jack's daughter, lots of laughing and yakking. My granddaughter will come down tonight and stay til Sunday. This old lady is gonna celebrate turning 68 clear thru til Sunday. It doesn't get any better than this. :p

Janetr, let me be among the first to wish you a very <3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY <3 Sounds like a wonderful couple days coming up! HUGS!!!

Lanette

Thank you Lanette,. Today we shopped , visited grandkids and great-grandkids. Good, good day !!

Janetr OKC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yeah me!!! Tonights exercises: sit ups 4 sets of 10. Push ups 2 sets of 10 plus 5 more. I'm getting there!!! Did Kitty cat stretches in between the push up sets. Push ups are really hard for me! The stretching helps. My lower back is sore these days, but it will get better.
    Becca
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    My oldest daughter flew in from Denver yesterday evening to be here for my birthday on Sunday, we all went to dinner along with Jack's daughter, lots of laughing and yakking. My granddaughter will come down tonight and stay til Sunday. This old lady is gonna celebrate turning 68 clear thru til Sunday. It doesn't get any better than this. :p

Janetr, let me be among the first to wish you a very <3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY <3 Sounds like a wonderful couple days coming up! HUGS!!!

Lanette

Thank you Lanette,. Today we shopped , visited grandkids and great-grandkids. Good, good day !!

Janetr OKC

Happy Birthday! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Off and running ... so to speak ... with November!
    October went better than anticipated ... hoping for a good November too! Roughly the same distance/hours as in previous years ... or more. :) I am finished university for a couple months, so hopefully I will have more time to be active.

Nov 2015: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Nov 2016: 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min

Nov 1 - 7 km walking (85 min) + 16 flights of stairs (12 min) ... that's 16 flights of 20 steps, up and down and including a few steps on each landing. :)

Nov 2 - 1.4 km walking (17 min) ... mad studying for exam

Nov 3 - 6.7 km walking (80 min) + 8 flights of stairs (6 min) ... lots of walking to university for exam, between university and work, out to the grocery store to get lunch, and out to dinner later in the day.

2017 Monthly November
    Walking Distance (km): 15.1
    Walking Time (min): 188.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 0.0
    Cycling Time (min): 0.0
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Number: 24.0
    Flights of Stairs Climbed Time (min): 19.2

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 15.1
    Total Distance (miles): 9.4
    Total Time (min): 208.0
    Total Time (hr): 3:27:57
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Mascha, what kind of exams are you taking? What degree? Good luck and I hope this is e last. I a, glad my particular school of nursing was a 3 year program and most of it was nursing.

Becca, when yup get the chance and you think about it, ask your nuke son who the author is of the books your son is using in training. In the last years of my brothers work in nuclear sub, they didn't have him on t eh sub but writing books. So see if there are any written by John Peterson. We joked with John. One time he was home and trying to help Mom with some things around the house. She needed a cabinet but in her bathroom. John thought it would be easy. 3 shelves, would take up all the space between the bath surround and the wall. Nope, he couldn't do it at all. So we joked that he could build a nuclear sub nit not a bathroom cabinet! John didn't actually build the sub, he operated it, checking all the gauges,,etc.

Michele, so sad your pool is being stored. I have always thought at you and your hubby are so meticulous in putting away all of your things to protect them for another year.

My daughter Christina called today. She is back in Beckley, W Va finishing up singing a lease on a home in Alloy W Va. She is hiring men for their mine there, outfitting that home with furniture and all furnishings. It's a weird looking house from the outside, looks like an old barn with a 3 car garage below it. But the barn is actually a house. So it will fit two men and their house in Beckley will have 3 men, she really enjoys doing things like this. I don't know where she gets the talent. I just don't tell Charlie that she is off on her own making these transactions and buying things. She is really enjoying W Va fall colors.

Love you amd good night, Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Sharon - lovely photos! Handsome dad! Your daughter is so talented.

DJ - I had to laugh too. However blessed we are in life we always want that little bit more. :o Our problem is more that we have a wonderful house at the moment. It would be a significant downgrade to move down there. Our current house, if it were in Hove would be nearer $2 million! :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o Within reach of the sea it would be even more. :s It's like trying to buy something in Manhatten. Most of the affordable small houses are real "doer uppers" and I'm not sure we are up to it. I did up two when I was younger and have also watched my son go through it. Hell. We are comfortable here, with lovely views. The carrot is the grandkids and the sea and a more fun lifestyle. The stick is the proposed houses in the next door but one garden, ruining our lovely rural lane and peace and quiet. Plus we feel "If not now, when?" It's easier to move now while we are still fit than wait until we are incapacitated. I am torn between wanting to go and wanting to stay. I would be happy to stay and happy to go.
    I do know how lucky we are. I think of quite a few of you who have big problems with accommodation. <3

Happy Birthday for Sunday Janet!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 Thanks Machka, I think I am missing a salty taste, and pickles are just the right go to in lieu of chips and crackers!

I'm all cuddled up on the couch under a soft blanket drinking my second cup of coffee catching up with you all. Saturday morning, you would think I would sleep in but no, wide awake, so I will try to take a nap in the afternoon.

A young work colleague is struggling with her first pregnancy, too much work and a long commute and I feel the need to make her something! It's funny how I always think a casserole will solve problems :s I am hesitating on the idea of cooking something for her and trying to think of another way to help her. She is a self centered kind of young person, but something about how stressed her job is combined with her feeling exhausted has brought out the mother hen in me. Still thinking on it, if I get inspired tomorrow I will maybe meal prep a double batch of something, maybe. The way she talked about missing her mom really touched a nerve.

Gonna be a pretty November day, time to get to the gym and finish some errands, another busy week ahead as we ramp up towards the December concert schedule--gonna be a doozy of a few months.

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Had a big post and poof..will check in later..
  • Machka9
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Mascha, what kind of exams are you taking? What degree? Good luck and I hope this is e last. I a, glad my particular school of nursing was a 3 year program and most of it was nursing.

I am working toward a Masters in Information and Communication Technology, and this course was called Database Management.

Here in Australia, Masters Degrees can be done a couple ways. One is to do them straight through as a Masters. Full-time students usually do this. There are 16 courses, they take 4 courses per semester and are done in 2 years.

The other way is the way I'm doing it, which works well for part-time students.

First, I took 4 courses, 1 per semester (2 years), and got my Graduate Certificate in Information and Communication Technology.

Now I am taking 4 more courses, 1 per semester, and if all goes well I will graduate with my Graduate Diploma in Information and Communication Technology next year. Right now, I am halfway through ... 2 courses done, 2 courses to go.

When I finish that, then there will be 8 more courses to get my Masters.

I am hoping to speed things along by taking 3 courses some years rather than just two, but whether or not that will work depends a lot on my employer and my energy level. If I continue with 2 courses per year, I've got 5 years to go.

I am a perpetual student. :) I have two Bachelors Degrees (teaching), an Engineering Technology Certificate (1 year), a Software Development Certificate (a 1 year program, but done over 4 on part-time basis), a Business Administration Diploma (a 2 year program that was accelerated so I completed it in 1), plus a whole pile of shorter courses. I haven't counted recently, but about several years ago, I had hit my 100th course as an adult. :) I've taken a bunch since so I could be up around 110 or 120 or something.

Right now, in addition to wrapping up this most recent course, my husband and I have started a Spanish course, just for fun. Then in January I start a Data Analyst course as part of the Graduate Diploma in Information and Communication Technology. Course 3 of 4.

My parents are also quite well educated. My mother took a secretarial course, then a 3-year nursing degree(?), and then another Bachelor's Degree. My Father has a Bachelors and Masters and has taken a bunch of short courses in various things. My brother has a Bachelors and Masters. I kind of felt a little bit left behind ... till now. :)

BTW - my mother nursed in the Emergency Department of one of the cities we lived in when I was growing up. She took the weekend night shifts, so she saw a lot!!! She used to come home and tell us all about her shift.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Here with dad he is having his breakfast....and I have the car packed...we will be going to a couple of lectures today ,then lunch,then home... I am trying not to hover.but it's hard...
    The main part of this Hampton inn is a beautiful old house... Virginia is a beautiful state and is Rich in history..very proud that my dad was a part of this ..and hope he is enjoying himself.
    JanetR happy birthday and have a wonderful day.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    JANET ~ Have a wonderful birthday.

SHARON ~ Your daughter's paintings are lovely and your dad was soooo handsome!

I have done something to my right side (I think due to some of the crazy exercises I try to do). I wish I had something to take for the pain and muscle spasms but will have to rely on my Alleve.

Carol in GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Janetr Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou: