WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Got a smile out of Michele and Lisa discussing shrimp and grits. I grew up on the Mississippi gulf coast and we never had shrimp and grits. Grits, yes but not with shrimp in them. Now they are everywhere in the south.
    Machismo- I can feel your pain. I hope the infection is controlled. Don't let the pain get ahead of you, take the meds.
    Feeling sad today, if you aren't safe in church, where are you safe!
    Been awake since 3 am. Hate Changing times.
    BTW, read your blog Lisa and enjoyed it so much. We moved cross country several times with three kids but the AF moved our household goods.
    Busy day with luncheon for two golf buddies and dermatology appointment.
    SueBDew in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :'(Machka, so sorry to hear about your painful dental procedure. I hope you'll use the pain management plan and meditation, rest, and soothing things to listen to so you can have a more peaceful recovery.

:)Pip, congrats on the marathon. You and Kirby look great.

:)Heather, your visit with the grands sounds like a lot of fun for you even with all the challenges.

<3 Katla, best wishes to your dog for a speedy recovery.

:)Barbara, today I'm wearing my even warmer New Balance walking boots.

:) Bernie, the cat, pestered me so much that I got up extra early this morning. The dogs and I walked for about 45 minutes in the cold with the almost full moon lighting our way. There is no one else out this early so the walk was very private and peaceful.

:) Yesterday was sort of a rest day. I have been spending so much time watching TV with Jake and riding the exercise bike, that I haven't gotten a lot of chores completed. So today I said that I needed to rest my legs and stay away from the bike. I got a lot done and my legs are more rested. Even so, I walked the dogs a lot for a total of close to three hours of walking and 14,000 steps.

:) I just finished reading "Healing Lazarus" by Lewis Richmond. It is his account of recovering from a nearly fatal illness and the spiritual principles that helped him through the seemingly hopeless journey.

:) Thank you all for being with me as I ate my breakfast. After meditation, I'll walk the dogs again and then tackle the day's chores (shopping, planning two line dance classes, continuing to scan, crop, and organize precious photos, a nap with the family)

<3 Barbie from chilly beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2017 is "balance"

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So sorry Machka! Hope it all heals up well. <3

Thanks!

It took 1.5 hours to get it out, and we had to take breaks several times (especially when I went into the panic attack ... I've never screamed in pain at a dentist office before and I was shaking uncontrollably for about 10 min while she and her assistant tried to calm me).

In fact, I've been cold, dizzy, and shaky all evening so far. 3 hours later I'm just starting to feel a little bit better. But she did say that because she had to cut my gum open and drill out the bone, I'm going to be in a lot of pain and have a swollen face for the next 48 hours ... when the freezing comes out. She's given me quite an extensive pain management program.

I can only have cold, plain vanilla ice cream, yogurt, and Ensure for the next 48 hours ... not even "soft food".

M in Oz

And I hope they told you not to use a straw, or you will get a dry socket. My mouth is hurting just reading your account. So sorry you have gone through this trying experience!

Karen in Virginia
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Oh, Machka. The experience sounds horrifying. I hope your recovery goes quickly.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

Thanks!

It took 1.5 hours to get it out, and we had to take breaks several times (especially when I went into the panic attack ... I've never screamed in pain at a dentist office before and I was shaking uncontrollably for about 10 min while she and her assistant tried to calm me).

In fact, I've been cold, dizzy, and shaky all evening so far. 3 hours later I'm just starting to feel a little bit better. But she did say that because she had to cut my gum open and drill out the bone, I'm going to be in a lot of pain and have a swollen face for the next 48 hours ... when the freezing comes out. She's given me quite an extensive pain management program.

I can only have cold, plain vanilla ice cream, yogurt, and Ensure for the next 48 hours ... not even "soft food".

M in Oz

And I hope they told you not to use a straw, or you will get a dry socket. My mouth is hurting just reading your account. So sorry you have gone through this trying experience!

Karen in Virginia

Yes, they did tell me that! :) And I did wonder why ... so thanks for the explanation. :)

Along with nothing hot or even quite warm. Nothing spicy. Nothing "harder" than yogurt. No swishing things around in my mouth. No spitting. Of course no alcohol or smoking ... which I don't do anyway. No exercise. No carrying anything even remotely heavy ... I was going to do laundry, but we hang dry our laundry so hauling a basket of wet clothes to the line was a big no!

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow because I walk as part of my commute, but I'm not supposed to do that for tomorrow, at least.

M in Oz

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((MACHKA)))
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Dentist today ... in just a few hours.

Machka in Oz

Worst dental experience ever.

Not my dentist's fault. She was great. It was the fault of my previous dentist and my extra-long tooth.

She had to break my jaw bone ... well, drill quite a hole in it, all around the root which was embedded in the bone. She also had to cut my gum open. 3 stitches.

Maximum amount of freezing ... didn't freeze everything because I had a bad infection in there. About as painful as trying to pass a kidney stone (and I've been there, done that with a kidney stone that got lodged on it's way out and had to be surgically removed).

Panic attack mid-procedure. I've never experienced anything like it.

Machka - wow, feel so sorry for you. Do they have an "oral surgeon" in your area? Too late now, but you should have been "out" for it in my opinion. Sounds like it was a much bigger job than a regular dentist could handle.

Now that it's all over, you'll feel better soon. HUGS!!

Lanette

Thanks to you ... and everyone. :)

(I've just woken from a long nap because my peas melted! Oops!)

The dentist who did this one is something of an expert when it comes to extractions. She did one on my husband a couple months ago which was finished in about 20 min and went really well.

But this was a "perfect storm" situation that none of us really anticipated. We anticipated some difficulty because of my long teeth ... we didn't anticipate the extent of the infection around the tooth and in the jaw bone. And I've been on antibiotics for a week!

The previous dentist had only done a partial root canal because she didn't realise how long my teeth are, and so she left a good portion of the tooth without a root canal but with an infection ... which just got worse over the past year. This explains a lot ... like headaches, constant jaw pain, possibly even sinus pain and ongoing congestion, etc.

So the procedure started well with the tooth falling into pieces when she had barely touched it. She said it was riddled with fractures. But there was one really stubborn piece, the bit with the bulk of the root canal in it, that just would not come out.

Yes, it probably should have been done by an oral surgeon, but we were well into it by the time we realised that. There was one point toward the end where I asked for a general anaesthetic. She told me she couldn't do that there. We decided to give it one more go, and if she couldn't do it then she'd stitch me up and send me to an oral surgeon. She gave one immense (nauseating, gut wrenching, screamingly painful) pull ... and got it. I was holding my hands across my abdomen and just about tore my own fingers off.

Anyway, she not only drilled the jaw bone to dislodge the tip of the root, but also to clean out the infection. So apparently it is all cleaned out now. That should mean that when the swelling and bruising goes down and everything heals, I should feel better than I have in the past ... probably 2-3 years.

I am being very careful with it all right now.

Oh ... I mentioned she did my husband's extraction in 20 min. I was in there for an hour and a half ... and I would say I was in a lot of pain for the last hour. We had to keep taking short breaks to allow me to calm down and to give everything and everyone a rest.

I've had some yogurt and now I want to sleep again.

Machka in Oz

I hope the infection is well and truly eliminated. I am so sorry for your pain & hope both pain and any swelling subside quickly.
  • leanerstrongerhealthier
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    To those who asked Lanette and leanerstronger (sorry I don't know your name) I've had kettlebells for about a year now (checked on Amazon) but haven't been consistent. Trying now to do regularly but I still love my cardio. Don't need BP medication now and I put that down to cardio.
    I do stretches and balancing to help prevent falls

Kate UK <3

Hi Everyone!

@spikeyhair Thanks for your input.. sounds like you have a well rounded workout program! I will have to remember the balancing. Wonderful news with your BP meds!!! :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options

Thanks!

M in Oz

Karen in Virginia

Yes, they did tell me that! :) And I did wonder why ... so thanks for the explanation. :)

Along with nothing hot or even quite warm. Nothing spicy. Nothing "harder" than yogurt. No swishing things around in my mouth. No spitting. Of course no alcohol or smoking ... which I don't do anyway. No exercise. No carrying anything even remotely heavy ... I was going to do laundry, but we hang dry our laundry so hauling a basket of wet clothes to the line was a big no!

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow because I walk as part of my commute, but I'm not supposed to do that for tomorrow, at least.

M in Oz

Machka (((Gentle Hugs))) There is a blood clot in the socket which is protecting your jawbone and the socket that the tooth was in. If you swish, smoke (God forbid), suck on a straw, spit, etc., you run the risk of dislodging the clot. If the clot comes out of the socket, you get a "dry socket" and it causes an inflammatory bone-deep ache in the jaw, very painful, on top of the post-op pain you already have. :#:#:#

Karen in Virginia

• Katla49
    Options
    We have been putting our house back together after painting our bedroom, and that has included a round of replacing light bulbs. We have more to do in the office area downstairs, and I'm not sure if we have the lights on hand. Yesterday I needed help from a neighbor to get one of our bathroom lights replaced. It was hard for him, too, and he's in the construction business. They also have lights like ours so he's had some experience. Now I need to do four more in our office. This will require more ladder work, although not quite so high as this has a standard ceiling rather than a vaulted ceiling. I don't see any of these among our spare lights and I don't know where to buy them. Hopefully, DH does know.

When we had our work done for raccoons last January & February, they took apart and removed a zone system on our heating and cooling system that had been damaged and didn't replace it with anything. Our bedroom comfort has suffered. It is too chilly now and was too hot all summer. DH wants to buy a new system he saw of This Old House. I want my comfort back at minimal cost.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,268 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pip - Many CONGRATULATIONS to you and Kirkby. Wonderful achievement! :drinker:

I've got a Whole Orange Cake in the oven right now. It's for when DSIL and her boyfriend come to stay. For a bite to eat Saturday tea time. I did lick the bowl. :o It improves with keeping so I will leave it a day before I put it in the freezer. Still got to make the Christmas pudding to take to Hove. It's a steamed suet and fruit pudding. You have it with brandy butter and cream or custard. Then you collapse. :laugh:

I did text the nanny to ask if she was sure she was ok with us arriving in the afternoon. She said it sounded great! She is a lovely calm young woman of 22. :D<3 Called Alice, like Christopher Robin's nanny. She doesn't live in, but that morning she will be arriving at the house at 5 am. :o:o:o

I have a really big chilli in the IP. Using a tip I found to add fish sauce and cocoa. ;) It smells heavenly! I add liquorice flavoured dried Mexican chillies, not hot, that I reconstitute. It makes a much richer flavour. I'm going to take a frozen one with us to Hove to have one of the nights. Just reheat it. I don't anticipate being up to doing much cooking! One night I am going out to get Fish and Chips from the area's best fish shop, gluten free! :D:D

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxxxx

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

I add liquorice flavoured dried Mexican chillies, not hot, that I reconstitute.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxxxx

Heather. Those sound incredible- is there a name for them, because I have to try to find them for my minestrone! ( My minestrone base meat is Italian sausage for the fennel/anise/liquorice flavour - but I’d like be to use a leaner meat and the spices and your peppers!).

Rye
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I might have to start a new account. I'm having trouble making comments on my newsfeed. I have tried logging off and on several times, I rebooted my iPhone several times. I reported this to MFP hopefully they will fix it!

Macka- (((hugs))) sorry to hear about your experience! Take care of yourself!

Pip- congratulations to you and Kirby! You both are very inspirational! Great pictures!

Kate- you are still doing fantastic!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    aec18 wrote: »
    Hi all. I live in NW Ohio. I am 57 years old female and I have struggled with my weight all my life. Like many I have lost but never to the point of actually being healthy. My BMI is over 40 and being labeled as Obese is scary. I do deal with an under active thyroid but I have lost before. I need encouragement to make more permanent changes.

My goals for November are to stick to logging my food to keep me on track.
    Exercise goal walk 30 minutes a day. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at lunch. I want to build up to adding 30 in the evening.
    weight loss goal is 5-10lbs in a month. I have already lost 3.

Welcome! Tell us what you'd like to be called, we're a very chatty and supportive group.

NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Saxophone Day!

"If you’ve never really taken the time to enjoy the beautiful music of this instrument, Saxophone Day is your time to indulge."

Thinking of all of you who are dealing with trials and tribulations, and wishing you peace and comfort.

Our troubles at the moment are minor in comparison. You know your day is not off to a great start when you wake up and stagger down the hall to find water leaking out of the hot water heater closet. Turned out one of the hot water connections had sprung a pinpoint leak. The best part was that it was spraying right onto the electrical breaker box. But at least it was something Philip could fix.

Feel like I'm behind on everything right now.

-Yvonne in TX