WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Heather- LOL! Yes, I understand Cyprus time! (still giggling) Wondering what day?
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    SueWA- When I read maple keys, I thought it was maybe a typo. Then I wondered if you were talking about "helicopters", which obviously isn't a scientific term. lol Funny, my whole life I never really knew what those little seed pods were called. They remain "helicopters" in my brain. My kiddos love to play with them. KJ
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Terry - this is the recipe. The main problem is getting the fermented, salted black beans. My DSIL used ordinary black beans and was surprised when they were crunchy! :o I bought mine in a Chinese supermarket, but you can get them on Amazon.
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/stir-fried-chicken-in-black-bean-sauce-8341

It's originally a Ken Hom recipe. It reheats really well, so you can make it ahead. :D I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs which I think are much nicer than breasts.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Thanks Heather. I'll pass this on to DH as he is the cook in the family. And he is Cuban so should know what to do with black beans. lol
  • langman22
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Yvonne- I didn't have a Teddy Bear. I had dolls. BUT, my daughter had/has a Teddy. He is Teddy Angel, named for the angel pin that Grandma pinned on it when DD was recovering from having her tonsils out. He has been to France, Switzerland, Spain, England, Mexico and all over the US and now lives with his new friend Joaquin. Here is a picture of Teddy Angel, that I took, when I was helping DD pack up her room after her wedding for her move to TX. This is the "thing" that made me cry a river.
    9hhz70wg1ms8.jpg
    We have had a busy election day at daycare. We have voted for everything. Voted for which fruits and veggies to have with meals, voted which music to listen to, which puzzles to put together, which songs to sing, books to read...They wanted to vote on taking nap, but I told them that was already a law and can't be voted on. :D We also read some owl stories and sang a couple of owl songs. Then we made these lovelies for their snack. Hoot Owl Cookies. Super easy. Recipe on Allrecipes.com tsfx4p7h7lsv.jpg

Love and hugs to you all! xoxoxo ttfn KJ

These cookies are so very cute! I still want to go to your daycare.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    Options
    Terri - They are not Cuban black beans. :noway: They are Asian fermented salted black beans. Totally different!

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    Options
    KJ - Saturday :D

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • langman22
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did an hour of a zero to 60 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Bob Harper Ultimate Cardio DVD.

Kim - those towels sound so cute! How do you get a print of what you want to say on the towel so that you can use that as a guide (did I make myself muddy enough?) Like when you buy a towel to be stitched, it's usually prestamped with the saying. Now yours won't be prestamped. Do you maybe put the saying on aida cloth and then stitch that to the towels? Or do you have a way of stamping the towels with the saying?

Sharon - my heart breaks for you with Harmony distancing herself. I know that hurts you. At least you get to see her! I know that should Bryan ever have children, I'll never see them. Heck, I won't even know about them!

Carol - ouch! So glad you got your floors. One thing we learned with our wood floors is that you only need a solution of white vinegar and water to clean the floor. When we first moved to this house there was some sort of "stuff" on the exercise floor. Kind of like if the person before us sweat, the sweat droplets that dried. Well, I tried everything, and I do mean everything, to remove them. Nothing worked. We were thinking we'd have to replace the floor. Vince called someone, explained the situation and found out it would cost about $1,000 to do it. Yikes! The guy told us that before we do that, try using the vinegar and water. Can't hurt. Well, it worked! Ever since then, I only use vinegar and water on my floor. Did you get the shingles vaccine?

pip - congrats on the marathon.

With this change of time, yesterday I was REALLY tired. Now I usually get up around 6, sometimes I wake a few minutes before 6. Today I got up a few minutes before 6. Maybe I'm adjusted????? Our cats are getting adjusted.

Lisa - so glad you made it safe and sound. How's Egg adjusting?

Terry in VT - I never heard of a company setting up a puzzle, but what a neat idea!

Heather - for some reason, and I don't know why, I thought you were a vegetarian. But I see that I must have been wrong since you're making chicken.

Calling all cooks!!! Last year at Thanksgiving, when we got to VA we went to a friend of Jess' place for turkey. Now, you have to understand that the woman is NOT a cook at all. The stuffing was Stove Top stuffing. Not that great. Well, I'm suspecting that we'll be doing the same thing this year. If that's the case, can I make stuffing here, transport it the 6 hrs, how long will it take to heat up? The sausage in it will be cooked.

Yvonne - I always look forward to your posts and especially the beginning where you tell us what day it is

Meg - I can totally relate to the hurt from your daughter. No matter what, you will always love her. You can't help but worry. (((HUGS)))). If you ever need someone to commisserate with, just pm me. I totally understand. We can't help stress eating, but don't do a lot of it. If you do, you're giving her control. At least that's the way I look at it.

deaconfran - welcome! You must be a deacon at your church, right? Tell us more about it.

Felicia - I hate to say it, but your son is right. You need to give your muscles 24-48 hours to rebuild themselves. Good for you swimming. That is such a good exercise to do. Very low impact (or no impact) but yet you really work your muscles. I know that when I'm taking a deep water class, I can't feel myself exercising. But the next day......I'm ready to call someone to put those bars in to help me get off the toilet....lol I usually can't feel my heartbeat when I'm in the water. But when I stop to get a drink of water...I sometimes feel like my heart is pounding. Congrats on your weight! Sometimes I can get below 130, but it usually doesn't last for long, unfortunately

KJ - those owl cookies are so cute! I went to allrecipes and printed out the recipe and how to do it. I have a good friend who loves owls, last time I made her a cake in the shape of an owl. The cookies would be a real neat idea!

Michele in NC

Yes our company has as great wellness program. We do all sorts of exercise and meditation classes and the puzzle is part of the wellness. In December, I am giving classes in wreath making as a Brown Bag Craft Project. Our company is paying for just about everything to make the wreath. I'm looking forward to doing something different. Should be fun.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,939 Member
    Options
    B)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends. Man it has been so busy here at work I can’t believe it! It’s 3:19 and I just finished eating lunch. I have got to get a handle on this stuff! Just found out that DH is going to Englewood, CO, but we don’t have a date yet. I suspect it will be the 29th because that is what the judge recommended. Now it’s just too real. We will drive and my best friend will go with us and she’ll stay with me for a couple of days after we get back the next day. At least we can get the ball on the roll and start the countdown til he’s home again. One of the guys from our support groups is there too so DH will have a ready-made friend and his wife and I can travel together in the future.

Thanks to all of you for your continued good wishes. They mean the world to me.

DH had a short chat with the BF in law. All the drama is coming from DD#1 and not him or his family. She didn’t even tell him we left them a baby card. I’m not sure what her whole problem is, the only thing we can figure out is that she was mad DH took her picture in the hospital. Ugh.

Allie: I’m so sorry about your FIL and BIL. I will send healing prayers to both and big hugs to you.

Felicia: What’s with these mornings anyway? I can meander around for hours! Or sometimes I just stand there looking around! Not sure why I do it either but it’s just in the morning and I am a definite morning person! My best friend and her hubby just got back from Israel and they loved it. Great job on the weight loss.

Vickie: Yikes! That’s too close for snow for me! Stay warm!!! I will wave at you as we head out on 80 for Colorado!

Katla: we cleaned out our garage a few weeks back and found 20 year old paint from some rentals!

Mary: I just saw a recipe from the Pioneer Woman Cooks series for pizza crust made of cauliflower. You’ll have to tell me if you liked it.

Suebdew: was the spot that was cut off cancerous??? I hope not!!!

Carol: sorry to hear about the shingles.

Michele: you know, stress eating was one thing I never thought I did, but I sure do it now! Thanks for your offer; I will take you up on it sometime! I know you understand the heartache children can cause!

DJ: I know it might be for the best to be cut off; the relationship with DD#1 has always been stressful and she always causes chaos and drama. When she moved out, the entire family dynamic improved. I just hate to lose out on the grandkids.

Pat: over 100 stones!!! OMG I don’t have enough healing thoughts for all those! Wow! (((hugs)))

Yvonne: will you share your roasted cauliflower soup recipe?

Karen: gorgeous photo!

OK friends, I have to get going now. I’ll try to be back tomorrow. I need to make this National Priorities Month! And put me first because I have just plummeted downhill lately. Take care, Meg from chilly Omaha

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I hope the decision to go to work turns out well for you after your dental surgery. Sometimes having things to do is a great distraction from discomfort. :flowerforyou:

Sue: It is good that the dermatologist took out the whole growth, even though it involved more cutting than you expected. I hope your healing goes very well. :star:

Becca: Your white bean soup looks great. DH loves bean soup although I'm not much of a bean lover. They are difficult for me to digest. :ohwell:

Rita: Hi backatcha! :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: I love "soup weather" and the soup that goes with it. :wink:

(((Meg)))

I am going to the local chapter of Oregon Equestrian Trails meeting this evening. It is the annual banquet for the group. I baked a cake to take along. This is a pumpkin-cake & I got the recipe from Paula Deen. She cuts it into bars but I'm taking it in the pan I baked it in. I hope I get plenty of takers. I'm thinking about precutting it in the pan & taking some sort of spatula to get the pieces out. This was a big hit at our family Thanksgiving celebration last year.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    lf229d2qxtvz.jpg

And yes I sang that to you all...
    Becca
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat - I got the book I asked you to order for me. Thanks!
    Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Meg- I have made the pizza crust a couple of times and it is very good! We're waiting until tomorrow to have it because we are having my sister and her husband over for lunch. I'm glad that you have a friend from the support group.

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    well MVP is messing with at least the mobile version I can no longer find community on there..
    have a load of stuff to do on my day off.... I figured it would be a tad chilly in the condo as i had the heat turned to 65 , and it is pleasantly comfortable....
    just got home from work a few minutes ago...
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    They finally posted the video ad my son was in: https://www.facebook.com/buildpiper/videos/1882508955110424/ He's at 1:25. They are all such cute kids!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Possibly the worst part of going to work yesterday (and today too) was the bus ride in. The vibration of the bus on rough roads wasn't appreciated!!

I napped for 2.5 hours after I got home last night, and then had a good night's sleep, so I do feel some better this morning.

The area is still pretty sore, but I guess that is to be expected.

I'm also experiencing DOMS in my lower back from being so tense during the 1.5 hours of the extraction.

M in Oz