WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    This is my oldest sister's youngest great-granddaughter. This give me something to smile about. The circle of life. God is Good.

1hc25qgo2l6a.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, my husband was in the Vietnam era. He knew he would be drafted and did not want to be in the Marines so he went ahead and signed up for the Navy. After traditional teasing,mthe you said they would train him to be a medic. So after a year of training in the Navy as a medic, he was transferred to the Marines! But he didn't see any active duty,must served state side so that was ok with him. But whenever I am at a service where they honor all the men in the military, I can now stand up for all of the songs. Between my husband, brother, father and nephew, they have them all covered. My ex SIL was Army National Guard.

Janet's m you know we would buy your or aments!

I have a Sister in law who loved to do e Dirty Santa or whatever name you want to put on it. We did it one year and no one wanted to continue it, I thought it was a lot of fun and although it was just for the adults, we let the kids go I and pick so everyone was involved.

We will have our Christmas December 30th! Can't wait, last year I had the terrible back problems and had just barely got out of the hosptial from he two nose bleeds requiring 5 units of blood. So I felt terrible. So I am looking forward to this year. We have a new baby and we will enjoy her, I just with the fathers of all these babies would just get married.

Michele, I love to make corn casserole for a side.mmy sister makes a really good fruit salad, kind of like Waldorf. We have tried the green bean casserole and e family just doesn't like it. Plus it doesn't make for good leftovers. The corn casserole is simple enough I have my two grand daughters make it so that they can get experience in the kitchen

Went to Christopher Banksntonight to exchange a sweater that I was tired and didn't look at the size. But their winter coats got my eye. My present one is quite a few years old and doesn't fit me as well as it used to. OOPS! They were having their Christmas sales and the coat was 50% off plus if you had a friend with you an additional 20%. Well I didn't have a friend with me but ey are very relaxed about giving promotional discounts and the lady behind me said she would be my friend! So t his coat for around $40!. It is a black wool and I have two cats so I shall see. I will have to invest in a lint roller.

Night nigh my lovely ladies Joyce, Indiana where we will be in the 20s tomorrow. Michelle and i are going to look for new phones
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - wrote "Tomorrow I'm throwing pottery. All day if I need to. Have to get 20 mugs and 5 bowls done. I need to fire them by next Friday for their first firing so I can get them glazed and fired and distributed before Dec. 15th. Every year I say I'm going to start early. Every year I fail miserably at it."

I would love to see some pictures of your finished pottery. <3 It sounds like you are a very busy lady.

Janetr OKC

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- Today was also one of several Open House Hobart days where people are invited to visit buildings throughout Hobart which aren't normally open to the public. We've participated in this for 3 out of the last 4 years and have enjoyed it. So today we walked between the 4 places we chose. All very interesting. I may have photos of the view from the top of one building later.
    Open House Hobart Open House Hobart

All up we would have walked about 5.5 km.

On the way back to the van, we stopped for ice cream!

It's among the few foods I can eat these days. As you know, I had rather unexpected dental surgery last Monday.

Also on the way back to the van, we walked past the cenotaph, decked out with flowers (unlike it is in this photo). I often walk up there during the week at lunch.

21922868663_52da33c469_c.jpg

And then we went for a 13.9 km "test ride" up the Cycleway and back ... testing how my jaw would handle the paver joins in the Cycleway and other bumps. It did all right, except for one. But I was pleased it wasn't too sore.

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    JanetR, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.

Lisa
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Janet so sad to hear the news about your sister

Kate UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Janetr- (((hugs))) and prayers for your sister and your family.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    JanetR - so sorry to hear about your sister ,prayers for an easy transition.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr So sorry about your sister. The pics of the Colorado wedding and your grand niece are wonderful. Love the pretty ornaments.

Pip Pretty hair!

Machka Any chance you can you get fruits & veggies by way of a smoothie? I'm sure you have already thought of this and ruled it out for some reason I don't know.

Dana What a magnificent animal!

Katie So good to see a post from you, I was missing you!

Kim Your neighbors sound strange. That was a funny (weird) interaction. They don't sound very socially evolved.

Karen in Virginia
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Janet sending <3 and strength. The pics are simply beautiful, it is a blessing to see each generation isn't it.

The season of gratitude has begun, I'm upping my gratitude journal to include a mention of every time someone looks me right in the eye and smiles when they talk, really lucky that I work with young kids, most really like eye contact. I am mindful this month, to stop, smile (not fake smile) and look people right in the eyes and listen. It is my goal to do this through Nov. and Dec. to make the season ring true for me.

I have been remiss in reaching out and calling friends lately, I am going to make an effort to speak to those I haven't reached out to very much. THis will be a much harder challenge for me. I called my older neighbor yesterday and had a wonderful conversation, her spirits were lifted by the call and I need to schedule it, otherwise I will let too much time go by.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ up showered dressed and ready for work... they changed the hours and now we work every saterday so I told them I wouldnt work every saterday ,but every other last weekend was my weekend but since I was in Virginia we switched.
    I sort of have my christmas list set in my head and a grocery list started. so that helps... think I am going to give my DD a sams club membership , Tom renewed his but not mine but for 45 bucks Tracy and I can share one..
    got Taliah a horse book.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    KetoneKaren, thank you! I’m here every day but struggling with the whole weight loss thing right now and a little overwhelmed with life. Nothing catastrophic like so many of you are dealing with. Just being pulled in too many directions and not being able to do what I want to do.

I’m here every day, just don’t have it in me to contribute much. I’ll be back on my game soon I hope.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka Any chance you can you get fruits & veggies by way of a smoothie? I'm sure you have already thought of this and ruled it out for some reason I don't know.

I have thought of it, and I'm hesitating for two reasons:

1) I've never made a smoothie in my life before.

2) The last time I used my blender, it started to smoke badly and has kind of scared me off using it again.

However, I am eating some fruit now. Today I had yogurt with sliced bananas for breakfast, and yogurt with canned pear pieces for an after dinner snack. :) I'm planning to try yogurt with kiwi fruit tomorrow!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm throwing pottery. All day if I need to. Have to get 20 mugs and 5 bowls done. I need to fire them by next Friday for their first firing so I can get them glazed and fired and distributed before Dec. 15th. Every year I say I'm going to start early. Every year I fail miserably at it.

What fun! My sister-in-law does this sort of thing. We've got a few pieces from her. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Today we received some very heart rending news. My oldest sister was taken to the emergency room and admitted earlier in the week. They send her home today and said her COPD has progressed to the point she is not able to get enough oxygen and her heart is too weak to try any viable therapy. Tomorrow hospice will come and they will bring a hospital bed, etc. The doctor told my nieces that it could be as little as 6 weeks and much longer, no way to know, of course. I pretty much have been crying off and on all evening. I wish I were close enough to go visit with her. It all makes me very sad.

Janetr OKC

Really very sorry to hear this. :(:(
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    (((Janetr)))
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :'(<3janetr, so sorry about your sister.
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Janetr - So sorry to hear about your sister. Hugs!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Kim - when I read about your new neighbors last night, the first thing that came to mind was "Witness Protection Program", lol. I agree, very strange... and to ask a neighbor like you to give them the tour? Maybe he was in London to do a "hit". YIKES!!! I think I read too many thriller novels. My Blue Heaven with Steve Martin is one of my all time favorites. B) Let us know if any black cars with tinted windshields show up at their place!

Dana - aren't those alpacas cute? A three barn flea market! Sounds like fun and a way to get in some steps. I'm like you, the Reese cups would be beckoning me all day.

Janetr - so sorry to hear about your sis. (((HUGS))))Does she live far away from you? Yes, Hannah Joy is coming at the right time. Does she ever NOT smile? :) Your latest batch of ornaments are exquisite! Good luck selling them!

Marcelyn - you are multi talented for sure. Add me to the list for seeing your finished pottery pieces!

Machka - glad you are getting better. My dentist appointment is the end of the month and the first thing I'll ask is "how will you sedate me??"

Katla - hope your plans to see the kids work out. DH's can be "something else." There are days DH and/or I don't really want to talk much at all, thankfully they generally coincide so no one feels slighted.

I went to see the ear/nose/throat doc yesterday in Olympia. For the past few months - actually ever since we had those bouts of the hot, smoky weather this summer - I have had constant burning in my voicebox and often lose my voice. He snaked the fiberoptic tube up my nose and down into my throat - he said no tumors or polyps, just looks irritated, no doubt due to allergies/sinus and some acid reflux. So, I'm on omeprazole and steroid nasal spray for 30 days - he said that should be safe with minimal side effects and it may need that to get fully healed. He said even if a person only has reflux once or twice a week, that's enough to keep it from healing. :( I don't have heartburn or many of the symptoms normally associated with reflux, but it can be there just the same.

The ENT doc is kind of new to the area... he is from the Midwest and practiced in Portland for a couple years before settling up here in WA a few months ago. He said it's really allergy city up here! He's now on allergy shots himself.

So I may end up going through the allergy skin prick testing again and getting allergy shots if needed.

Making porcupine meatballs for supper - my mom used to make them all the time, putting raw rice in the meatball mix. I find myself using my 1960's Betty Crocker cookbook a lot more these days.

The sun should be up shortly - will get a walk, then strength training, then jump a while this morning, lol.

Have a good weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Just watched DDIL giving her TEDX talk in Nicosia. I thought she did brilliantly. <3 I was probably as nervous as she must have been. :o But she came over as very natural, caring and authentic. The message was good too - it's the little things we do every day that make the big difference in our lives.

We are back home now and recovering from the babysitting. :o The other grandparents arrived in good time, so we were able to get home in time for lunch before the talk. :D

Janetr - What a sad time for your family. My mum died of COPD. (((HUGS )))

Kim - Priceless! Well done for holding your ground! As they say in Yorkshire - " There's nowt so queer as folks!"

Just had an email from DH's elder daughter to say that she was diagnosed with Aspergers this morning. Well, it's no surprise at all to me and not greatly to DH. She is certainly a law unto herself, though we get on well enough with her when we do see her, which isn't often. Hope to meet up for a pub lunch soon. I think she is rather relieved to have some things explained.

Going to have a nap now. B)

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx