WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet
    So sad to hear about your sister. I wish there was a way you could visit.
    I looked online for hand crafted Christmas ornaments and none of them looked anything like the beautiful ones you make.

Kim
    What strange neighbors you have. Almost like a weird tv family you might see in a Lifetime movie.

Marcelyn
    What a busy lady you are. Making doll clothes, throwing pottery, and doing outdoor chores in addition to your running and helping your friend who was flooded.

Joyce

My husband stayed stateside also during his military stint. But, many of the boys he went to college with (it was a strong ROTC college) went overseas and some that we knew very well died.

Dana
    Those alpacas look so cute.

Lanette
    Hope taking the meds helps you with the throat.

My husband decided he was going to clean at 6:30 this morning and he has been going at it steadily. I have been very outspoken about us needing to get rid of clutter and I think he is catching on. It's impossible to clean when you have knick knacks everywhere (he's an antique dealer). I just told him I wasn't doing it today as these shingles have made me very irritable and in constant low pain. Must say the house is looking great.

Carol in GA
  • 1007145fattie
    1007145fattie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new and I would like to ask how does one join this group or do I just bookmark it to follow you all? Thanks !
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good morning all! Up early this morning to get things done, as we will be heading into Grand Rapids (30 miles away) to turn in our Jeep. Then we will be visiting DH's mom, who is back in the hospital. Nothing different; just more of the same back and forth. I fear this is just going to be a vicious cycle (hospital, rehab, home) for the rest of her life. *sigh
    Janet- Your Christmas ornaments are stunning! IF I were you, I would check around on etsy or ebay and see what price others are selling them, then price yours accordingly. Gorgeous fall wedding photo and that great grand baby is darling! So sorry to hear of your sister! Sending you and your sis/family love and hugs!
    Pip- Your curls look great! I like to have them style my hair, just so I can see what it can look like. BUT, I generally wake up, wash it and go. Now that it's cut, I do have to put a little more effort into it.
    Heather- Saw the Tedtalk this morning at 8:35. I missed the first couple minutes of it as I was bringing in groceries, but your DIL was wonderful. She seemed perfectly natural and at home speaking publically (on camera). And my ideas of child rearing jive very closely with hers. What a wonderful addition to your family! In regards to DH's elder daughter's Aspergers diagnosis; I would think it would be kind of a relief to be diagnosed as an adult. It puts a name to something and allows you to find ways to live with or change things to make your life a little easier. Although she doesn't know it; I am sending hugs to her.
    Marcelyn- Ohhhh, I can't even contain myself with the joy of knowing you are making clothes for your granddaughter's doll! Brings back memories of Christmas when I was about 5 years old, and my parents told all six of us kids that we could ask for only one thing for Christmas. My sister and I both asked for baby dolls. We both got a baby doll, and my mother made an entire wardrobe of doll clothes (2 nighties, 4 dresses, 2 pinafores, slippers, 2 bonnets). They were sewn from remnants of blankets, curtains, and clothes that she had made for family. Other than my books, that is the only Christmas gift that has stayed in my memory, it meant SO much to me. YOU are creating a special Christmas that she will remember forever.
    Katiebug- The busyness of life! I hear you. Good to see your face and hear your voice! Sending good thoughts, warm hugs (( <3 ))
    Lanette- All that smoke from the fires have got to be taking a toll on your respiratory system. Glad you are seeing an ENT who can get to the bottom of things.
    Kim- Your neighbors sound certifiable! Trying to do all of that in 2-3 hours? That is called "going for a drive". They can do that on their own. Crazy! One thing I always do when I am in a new city is take a "trolley tour" or "bus tour". Yep, they are touristy, but it shows you all of the "main" attractions; and if your time is limited, you can figure out what you want to do based on what the trolley doesn't show you.
    Dana-The alpacas are adorable! About the pbcups...will you eat them if they are frozen? I don't like them frozen, but my DH does. So...he keeps them in the freezer. If you don't think that will deter you, you could take a cup out, cut it into quarters and baggie it up and put it back in the freezer and give yourself a quarter of a peanut butter cup at the end of each day. That's like 25 calories.

Well, laundry is done. That means I have to fold and fly away. ttfn xoxoxo to all of the ladies that I missed! <3 KJ (Kelly)
  • Peach1948
    Options

1007145fattie You have joined by posting! Please tell us a name you can be called and a little about yourself. Everyone here is friendly and there is much support.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Welcome 1007- To join, just bookmark and follow along. If you are comfortable doing so; please tell us a little (or alot) about yourself and your journey. Sign your post with what you wish to be called. This is a great group of women and you will be able to glean information regarding all kinds of topics. Inspiring and active ladies! I have been here for almost two years now. Jump in when you are so inclined! KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    janitor - sorry to hear about your sis, lay thoughts are with you
  • pipcd34
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Up early this morning to get things done, as we will be heading into Grand Rapids (30 miles away) to turn in our Jeep. Then we will be visiting DH's mom, who is back in the hospital. Nothing different; just more of the same back and forth. I fear this is just going to be a vicious cycle (hospital, rehab, home) for the rest of her life. *sigh
    Janet- Your Christmas ornaments are stunning! IF I were you, I would check around on etsy or ebay and see what price others are selling them, then price yours accordingly. Gorgeous fall wedding photo and that great grand baby is darling! So sorry to hear of your sister! Sending you and your sis/family love and hugs!
    Pip- Your curls look great! I like to have them style my hair, just so I can see what it can look like. BUT, I generally wake up, wash it and go. Now that it's cut, I do have to put a little more effort into it.
    Heather- Saw the Tedtalk this morning at 8:35. I missed the first couple minutes of it as I was bringing in groceries, but your DIL was wonderful. She seemed perfectly natural and at home speaking publically (on camera). And my ideas of child rearing jive very closely with hers. What a wonderful addition to your family! In regards to DH's elder daughter's Aspergers diagnosis; I would think it would be kind of a relief to be diagnosed as an adult. It puts a name to something and allows you to find ways to live with or change things to make your life a little easier. Although she doesn't know it; I am sending hugs to her.
    Marcelyn- Ohhhh, I can't even contain myself with the joy of knowing you are making clothes for your granddaughter's doll! Brings back memories of Christmas when I was about 5 years old, and my parents told all six of us kids that we could ask for only one thing for Christmas. My sister and I both asked for baby dolls. We both got a baby doll, and my mother made an entire wardrobe of doll clothes (2 nighties, 4 dresses, 2 pinafores, slippers, 2 bonnets). They were sewn from remnants of blankets, curtains, and clothes that she had made for family. Other than my books, that is the only Christmas gift that has stayed in my memory, it meant SO much to me. YOU are creating a special Christmas that she will remember forever.
    Katiebug- The busyness of life! I hear you. Good to see your face and hear your voice! Sending good thoughts, warm hugs (( <3 ))
    Lanette- All that smoke from the fires have got to be taking a toll on your respiratory system. Glad you are seeing an ENT who can get to the bottom of things.
    Kim- Your neighbors sound certifiable! Trying to do all of that in 2-3 hours? That is called "going for a drive". They can do that on their own. Crazy! One thing I always do when I am in a new city is take a "trolley tour" or "bus tour". Yep, they are touristy, but it shows you all of the "main" attractions; and if your time is limited, you can figure out what you want to do based on what the trolley doesn't show you.
    Dana-The alpacas are adorable! About the pbcups...will you eat them if they are frozen? I don't like them frozen, but my DH does. So...he keeps them in the freezer. If you don't think that will deter you, you could take a cup out, cut it into quarters and baggie it up and put it back in the freezer and give yourself a quarter of a peanut butter cup at the end of each day. That's like 25 calories.

Well, laundry is done. That means I have to fold and fly away. ttfn xoxoxo to all of the ladies that I missed! <3 KJ (Kelly)

i wash and go too, i don't even dry my hair, just put on the skullcap, helmet and go
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    "Kelly" wrote "Janet- Your Christmas ornaments are stunning! IF I were you, I would check around on etsy or ebay and see what price others are selling them, then price yours accordingly. Gorgeous fall wedding photo and that great grand baby is darling! So sorry to hear of your sister! Sending you and your sis/family love and hugs!"

Thanks so much. And that's exactly what I did. The ones I found were mainly just styrofoam balls totally covered with multi nilly willy colored sequins, no design, no beads, no frippery and they wanted $18 for them, what???? lol I'm paying $2.25 a piece of the satin covered balls alone.

Janetr

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my BF and I went to Thomasville, GA - Beautiful city and they were having a Fall Festival so lots of people downtown. We rode though every little town on our way down and spend 3 or 4 hours walking around and ate lunch at a nice place. She had a pasta dish that was very good, I had the crab cakes which we good, salad even better with a tomato vignette dressing. The desserts were to die for. I had the coconut meringue pie and she had the chocolate. I ate a bit of hers and was glad that I had not ordered it; because it was too chocolate for me and I did not think Louis would have liked it. Baker was pretty 'heavy handed' with the coca. Saved 1/2 of mine for him. He enjoyed the 'surprise'. Rode back home and through the Radium Springs area that was hit hard back in January. I was surprised there were not nearly as many people dead; she said probably a lot more due to migrant workers living there. I got so disoriented during the part of my ride - so many houses hit, some just abandoned. Asked if her 'ex's' house (now her son's) got paid and she told me, 'finally, insurance company' knew they could not claim that the insurance company was still responsible for it just because it wasn't in her son's name. The premiums had always been paid and were paid when the storm went through. He sold it, as is.

I've decided that my PT is wonderful. Working on my balance that he doesn't think is Vertigo; but, being caused by my BP spiking then dropping. He told me to exercise my legs before getting out of bed, then wait a minute to take BP reading; then do a different type of exercise when standing to see what it does to BP. Morning readings were 'normal'. He told me yesterday he was going to be 'brutal' and I said 'that's fine', then he said he was just kidding. I told him to 'go ahead, because I knew at some point he was going to be sooner or later'. I'm to still keep up with my BP readings to see if the exercises work. My BP reading drop significantly when I stand up; but, not so much that it was worrisome. He makes it 'fun' because he is a 'talker' and I 'talk' to him the entire time, when I lose my balance he catches me. One of the other PT's kept looking around while moving his finger and telling me to follow it. I said I did not want to go back to him. Then I had the girl, who was fine; but she wrapped a belt around me to keep me from falling. I wasn't comfortable with this because I felt if I fell I would take her down with me. Chris is the only 'real' PT there - going through the training at the Medical Center of Georgia in Augusta. He had to do 'evaluations' the day I ended up with the other 2 - who had gone through a 2-year program at a technical school. This is what our dear 'future' grandson-in-law does. Well, at least we 'think' he will be.

Haven't heard from DYS so I guess 'no news is good news'. He usually calls his Dad or brother every 3 or 4 days; but, hunting season has started so he is very busy. Tami seems to be doing better and has gone back to work; still only working 4 days a week, and Saturdays and Sundays for 'weddings' or 'proms' or other 'parties' She posted a picture of a girl who was 20 days younger than Mallory but looked a lot older. She was 1/2 again as big as Mallory. Looked at her mother and said, "I look so pretty." Made Tami and her Mother happy because she thought she was an 'ugly ducking'. She apparently does not go to the same school as Mallory because Mallory was either not dressed up or going to the dance. Tami and Will keep her close and are a big 'restrictive' and she would have been with her Daddy the weekend.

Roaring fire in the fireplace because for the last 2 days it has been cool enough for one.

Pip - Love your hair, nice to see a woman embracing her hair turning gray. Got my hair cut this past Thursday and she asked how many weeks I normally go between haircuts. Instead of 6, she suggested 8 because she thinks that the short cut that my last hairdresser gave me because of not paying attention will be such that she can make it work. Tami's natural colored hair is brunette; but, she keeps it blonde. She streaked it once and I guess Will did not like it and she went back to blonde. Of course, I have always thought Will would marry a blonde, even though the last 2 women were brunettes. Well, actually all the women he dated before Tami were brunettes.

I have fallen asleep a couple of times since getting up; but, BP has still be within 'normal' ranges. They had me on a BP medication for a month, cutting it in half after 2 weeks, then taking me off it totally when it kept dropping (over correcting).

Will call Windows World to see if the 2 panes that were cracked when they took them out of the box have come it. We painted the stops 'exactly' as they told us to do and still on the inside windows looking out, the put the raw edge against the glass. It is noticeable but Louis just wants them 'off the property' and doesn't give a rip. I am about the same. Anyway, maybe the sun will eventually do what it does if it is exposed on the outside. I'm ready to get it finished. I'm hoping that we'll get a dishwasher soon, too.

Since Thanksgiving will be at Trey and Jenn's house, I doubt that Will and Tami will come. He just doesn't like Jenn anymore after the email she sent to Tami last year and then 'smoothed' over; but, Will still just doesn't like what she had to say to Tami. But, at least, for the first time in forever, I don't have to cook; but, will often to help clean up since Jenn has helped me whenever it is at our house - finally. I might take something 'different' down there, since they will be cooking the turkey. Copper pennies (carrots) and baked beans (from my mother's recipe), if I can remember it. At least if they aren't all gone, they will still go with the ham I intend to cook the Wednesday before so we don't have to eat turkey the entire weekend. Will make soup stock for my 15-bean soup.

Watching college football. I think GA plays Alabama and should be an interesting game. They are in 1st place in the SEC - Georgia; but, if they lose to Alabama - they could drop back down as far as 4, depending on who wins in other SEC games. Several fumbles and interceptions in the Florida/Carolina game. I don't know whether it is North of South Carolina; but, I think it is South Carolina.

Welcome to all the 'newbies', prayers to 'all who need' them, 'congrats' to all who have met their goal or for any other goal they have met or coming close to. I am trying to stay within my calorie count which has been upped a little, drink as much water as possible, and exercising everyday.

Might even start back with my purge cleaning. Tackling my bath or finishing up my utility/computer room. So pissed that I cannot remember 'if' I sent the logos to guy who is heading up the Mega Reunion in June. Guess if he doesn't receive them today, I will go back to ground zero and start over. Normally, I would have kept a copy; but, apparently I didn't or I forgot what I named them.

Need to read, too. Will check FB and email and be finished for the day of being on the computer.

Chow!

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Veterans Day Parade

lvj6vnk526ao.jpg
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Mary ~ Neat photo!

I just spent over an hour listing an item on eBay for DH. I had not listed anything since last January and boy has it changed. For one thing, I use Picasa photo downloader and it wouldn't sync to my camera. After that, I couldn't get the photos uploaded to eBay because you had to save them to a different place first and I couldn't figure out how to do that. Finally, the selling format has changed and it took me forever to get the ad written. Just crossing my fingers that a buyer comes along quickly.

Carol in GA
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    This is mainly for Rori and Lisa!

fggs3e0wk21q.jpg
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! To those that served or your family that served in the military, this retired Chief's wife thanks you. Today is also my middle son's 23rd birthday, so hey, he's a veteran, and a birthday boy, and gets free food in restaurants today!

We are suppose to get a call from our youngest Navy Nuke son today. I'm excited!

Have a nice day y'all!
    Becca
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Janetr- so sorry to hear about your sister. Her Hannah Joy is beautiful. I wish you could visit her as it would help both of you.
    Mary- great pictures of the parade. Love the Girl Scout van.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    Your handsome men remind me of what Veterans Day stands for in our country. Wonderful pictures!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Llll
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Becca- Thank your men for their service as well as a thanks to you for your sacrifice <3 handsome men in uniform!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mary! And thank you, Becca, as both prior military and mom to a soldier and an airman. Thank you for your service, as well. Military spouses also serve, in ways that non-spouses seldom understand. I was one for 25 years. Proud of your service, too.

Lisa
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    As an Air For e wife, I saw fist hand how the Viet Nam veterans were treated. It is really nice that they are finally being "welcomed home"
    hkk6osicsu9l.png