WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    spoke with the regional manager,but not much help there... she said she might be able to get me a couple more hours but they are cutting everywhere. I dont buy it, they are trying to get rid of me because of age... ,dont know if I can collect part time or not? will see..everyone keep me in there prayers, I will make enough to maybe get through the bills but not much else at all..

Very sorry to hear this ... are you able to pick up some part-time Christmas work in retail or something for a few weeks at least? I used to do that to pad my income a bit.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: I took a bio age test a while back and was very pleased with the outcome. I have very little faith in its accuracy but it made me feel good at the time. I do think I'm doing much better than I was before I discovered MFP. My bone density has improved over the past few years--which was a welcome surprise. I didn't think that was even possible. You are so much more active than I am that I suspect your test results are closer to reality. :wink;

This bio age test was quite detailed ... all about exercise, diet, alcohol consumption, smoking, drug usage, sleep, health issues, weight, height, etc. There were even questions about emotional/psychological/stress issues - things like, do I have someone to talk to every day, etc.

I am within a normal BMI range, exercise, eat fairly well, don't drink or smoke, etc. etc.

Where I came in a little weak was sleep (I should be sleeping 8 hours/night ... not averaging about 6.5 hours), and this program is of the opinion that we should be doing 12 hour over-night fasts. Well, I stop eating about midnight, and resume eating about 10:30 am, so I'm almost at 12 hours, but not quite. These programs also like people to be eating nuts and avocados. I'm intolerant to peanuts (especially) and tree nuts (to some extent) so I have to limit my intake. I don't like avocados unless they are in guacamole and served as a side dish to burritos or something. Plus peanuts, tree nuts and avocados are very high in calories. So I tend to rate a little low in the diet section because I don't eat those things.

Anyway, maybe this will be a bit of extra motivation as we get closer to Christmas. The past couple years, I've gone off the diet in early December ... this year I'd like to keep it up until a few days before Christmas.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Going to be away from here for some time, b/c you know, life lol.

So I’m updating my Nov stats thus far. Done ok exercise wise.

Nov Totals: 42.95 miles walking + 6.35 mile swims + 7 HIIT workouts, weights 2x a week, 3lb weight loss

Keeping warm thoughts and good wishes in mind for all you wonderful ladies!

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye

Well done ... and see you when you get back! :)

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    For those unfamiliar with my sense of humor, that last post was a joke.

One more thing. I’m way behind on my DVR watching. I just today starting watching the Tournament of Champions. Glad y’all didn’t give any spoilers. I haven’t even started with this season of This is Us.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Katiebug - darn I would have saved it and forwarded it to you!!! LOLOLOLOL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    For those unfamiliar with my sense of humor, that last post was a joke.

One more thing. I’m way behind on my DVR watching. I just today starting watching the Tournament of Champions. Glad y’all didn’t give any spoilers. I haven’t even started with this season of This is Us.

LOL
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 11.51min, 138mhr, 8amph. 1.5mi= 82c
    apple watch- 71c
    0 RUNNER- 20min, 140mhr, 2.49mi= 178c
    apple watch- 180c
    ROPE PULL- 10min, midset, lvl5, 120ahr, 1125ft 132mhr = 83c
    apple watch- 74c
    *new* ARM SKI MACHINE- 10min, 42aw, 116ahr, 134mhr, 1490meters= 87c
    apple watch- 112c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.12min, 128mhr, 13.8amph, 1.4mi= 57c
    apple watch- 45c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 16.35min, 149c, 11.1amph, 3mi= 165c
    apple watch- 113c
    jog/walk sta 2 wk- 7.18min, 138mhr, 13.56min mi. .5mi= 89c
    apple watch- 64c
    jog/Walk wk 2 sta- 7.07min, 4.2ap, 136mhr, .5mi = 56c
    apple watch - 47c
    Rde dome 2 hm- 19.17min, 8amph, 154mhr, 2.5mi= 203c
    Apple Watch- 154c

total cal 1016
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 10 Minute Yoga Fix DVD, held plank for 2 min 53 sec, took extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do use the stairstepper.

Allie - one of the good things about being in the condo is that you won't have to shovel that white stuff. Tom will, but not you. You can smile all the while it's coming down :)

NYKaren - I'm sure you'll make a difference in the lives of those youth. Who knows? They might very well be asked to play with TSO! Wouldn't that be great?

Heather - I always ask for gift certificates to Lowe's Hardware. Last year we used them up in July. We're always in there for one thing or another. So they certainly don't go to waste

katla - feel better fast

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army and got plates for Jess, soup kitchen, bank, bowling, home for dinner, ceramics and then mahjongg.

Terry - gorgeous wreath. Wish I was so talented.

Allison - (((HUG)))

Felicia - I'm so sorry about your sister. Try to have a good time, she will want you to

Carol - he contacted me, too. Deleted the message. What did he do? Contact everyone here???? how stupid does he think we are?

katla - I'm getting worried about Lenora. Feel better fast

drkatie - I haven't started with This is Us, either

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    :)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Well, darn, I didn't get a message from flexigeorge either, starting to feel left out!! lol
    Allie, I have been in your shoes, sort of. I was 54 when the pub I was working in closed. I was tired of cooking and really had no other marketable skills. I ended up going back to school for some business admin courses and still had a heck of a time finding a job. Kind of lucked out when I ran into a woman that I had done a few classes with at the rec centre, she had mentioned about a year prior (when I was going for a job interview) that I should apply where she worked. I didn't at the time, but when I ran into her again, I asked if they were hiring. Turns out they were looking for someone and she was now the one who did the hiring. My job has nothing to do with the business admin training that I did, well, maybe some of the computer stuff, but I love my job! Since you already do have training, it is possible that you will find a better position. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. I was certainly at a loss, sometimes, to figure what that reason was, but I do still believe! You are a STRONG woman, don't ever forget that. It will work out for you. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    Terry, great looking wreath!
    Felicia, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, HUGS to you.
    Katla, hoping you and your hubby are feeling well enough to join in the family thanksgiving. How very thoughtful of you to not want to inflict your ilness on them!
    The past few days have gone fairly well, not 100%, but within boundaries that I can live with!
    Hope everyone has a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yvonne wrote - "DrKatieBug - My favorite brussels sprouts recipe so far is Alton Brown's brussels sprouts with pecans and cranberries, at least in part because it's not just beautiful and delicious but it's also very quick to make on the stovetop."

I NEED this recipe please. Also tack on the Hermit cookies if you can. I would so appreciate that.
    <3

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Darn it, now I’m feeling ugly and unwanted because flexigeorge didn’t send me a message.

Ha Ha Ha, you got hit on last time and all the rest of us didn't :)

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Well, darn, I didn't get a message from flexigeorge either, starting to feel left out!! lol

Not to worry ... probably just a spambot who grabbed names off one or two particular pages. :)

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yeah, FlexyGeorge messaged me also. Probably said the exact same thing he said to all of the rest of you.

Allie, surely 2018 will be better for you. I agree about checking in with the nursing homes you visit, especially the one your DFIL is at. They know your personality, your patience,your abilities and your willingness. And also many seasonal jobs to hold you over while you are looking. I'm sure you are glad you have the solace of your condo to keep you focused. Is there a management office there that might know of some openings for senior ladies?

Terr, that wreath is stunning. I saw a video on face book today of bleaching pine cones. They came out a pretty golden color.

JanetR, I got your ornaments in the mail today. Love, love, love. I am glad we all convinced you to sell them.

There is more I was going to post but everyone's bad headache has come my way. I managed to work in the kitchen and do needed cleaning but I need to give the floor a real good sweeping and en use my Swiffer wet all over. Charlie used the vacuum today. I a,so have to wrap Ellie's birthday present. Also need to see if it needs batteries and go back to the grocery store. Is there enough time in the day for everything.

Found out last night that one family that had 6 people may not be coming for Christmas. My first thought was that I might be able to host it here at our house. It just makes it feel more homey when it's in a home. Comfortable recliners for the adults to sit in, they all tend to stay longer. But there was 3 ovens at the place we are renting, 2 microwaves, industrial ice maker, etc. but no comfortable chairs.

One thing I got done today that I have been wanting to do for a long long time was to call Apple support and fix my password. It took a lot of going to different sites but we got it done. Now I can have face time again.

Night night, Joyce Indiana where I hope to not have a headache when I wake up
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is the first week in a long time where I'm actually working a full 8-hour 5 days!

Last week, I had medical appointments early two mornings, and late one afternoon (arrive late, leave early). The week before I left early for my dental appointment, then took the next day off. The week before I spent a morning studying for my final exam, and another morning writing my final exam. The week before was the Royal Hobart Show long, long weekend. And then I've been in university on Mondays since the middle of July!!

So it's Tuesday afternoon, and I feel like it should be about Thursday! :lol:

Meanwhile, I'm slowly working my way through my long list of things to do ... all the things I want to do now that I'm not in university for a few months.

I still have 3 weeks of Spanish classes ... one tonight and then two more weeks. And I'm dabbling in Duolingo. Evidently I'm 10% fluent now!

I've seen that Duolingo has Chinese now ... Mandarin, I think. So I'm interested in giving that a try. The majority of my fellow students at university are Chinese and I'd like to be able to understand them a little bit.

I'm trying to catch up on a bunch of stuff with my cycling club. There are several things which I started, but didn't finish. I design many of the routes for the Tasmania branch of our cycling club, and I've got 3 which are about 3/4 designed and one which is in the concept stage right now. I also started a Ride Organiser checklist for the Tasmania branch, which I'm also about 3/4 of the way through. And then my husband floated a Cycling Challenge idea he'd like me to present to the main cycling organisation -- the Australia-wide one. I'm not positive I want to deal with that, but I'm thinking about it.

And then there's all the little stuff around the house ... catching up on the housework, my office project -- putting it in order, etc. etc.

Someone said to me today that I must be feeling so relaxed now that it's summer and I'm between university courses. Well ... no. Not really. Yes, it's good to have a break from the pressure of assignments etc., but now I've got to take care of all those things which I told myself I'd do when I got a spare moment!!

Oh, and I'm trying to increase my exercise again.

Today is another beautiful warm day, and so I went for a very brisk 6.1 km walk at lunch to the Botanical Gardens, and right to the Japanese Garden section at the far end. I haven't been to that end of the garden in a long time and it looks like they've expanded it a bit. I took some pictures with my phone which I'll have to download.

And in about 15 min, I'll be walking up to Spanish class.

Machka in Oz