WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »

Machka, what is in that yummy looking dessert?

It's a pavlova.

You can make the base from scratch, or use a Pav Egg (Magic Egg) mix, or buy one pre-made. Then you top it with whipped cream and fruit.

The base is basically a meringue (more like the cookie, not the topping on a lemon pie) ... it's more or less egg white and lots of sugar, whipped stiff and then baked for an hour and then left in the oven to cool for an hour. When you take it out, it is really hard on the outside, although a little softer inside.

Mine collapsed slightly when I put the whipped cream on, but that's OK.

It is melt in your mouth sweet and delicious ... my favourite Christmas dessert. :)

Oh, and I made mine with the Pav Egg mix, not from scratch. I've never tried to do it from scratch.

Machka in Oz
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Machka, sounds like our meringue cookies. I don't put the chocolate chips in mine. Never thought to put fruit on it. I'll have to try that.

Meringue Cookies

Ingredients
    2 egg whites
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
    1Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). To prevent burning you can bake on an air cushion baking sheet or put parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet.
    2Beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla until very firm. Gradually add sugar and mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
    3Drop by teaspoonfuls on pan. Bake 300 degrees for 25 minutes. They should only be lightly browned.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    Machka, sounds like our meringue cookies. I don't put the chocolate chips in mine. Never thought to put fruit on it. I'll have to try that.

Sort of ... except the meringue cookies I'm familiar with are rock hard almost all the way through.

These are a bunch of pavlova recipes ...

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=pavlova

The one I made, and most I've seen, are the size of a dinner plate but they can come in small individual sizes too.

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Sort of ... except the meringue cookies I'm familiar with are rock hard almost all the way through.

These are a bunch of pavlova recipes ...

http://www.taste.com.au/search-recipes/?q=pavlova

The one I made, and most I've seen, are the size of a dinner plate but they can come in small individual sizes too.

Thanks, I'll save this for next year.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Karen VA- Olivia! <3 She looks so happy!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Well I am debating to leave Alfie out of crate...have the living room gated off. But not that confident yet..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    no workout yesterday or today (gym closed)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    pip - love that wine stopper. Where can I get one?

Karen in VA - how sweet!

Giving Jess LOTS of leftovers. Well, the fact is that I'll have to make another dinner when Denise and Pete come here. But it won't be as big. As a matter of fact, I have some crab cakes in the freezer that I was going to make for them, but we have enough from our Christmas that I'm just going to give them the leftovers.

Got lots of Lowes gift cards which is what I asked for. Jess and Colby got me knives (Jess keeps complaining that I don't have good knives), a book about cake decorating, some cat coasters, holiday earrings, just a few little things. All in all, very nice. It was nice of Colby to go out of his way to come here. But then again, if he didn't he'd probably be alone. But we love having him. He needs to be at work on Wed so he and Jess are planning to leave tomorrow

Just found out that Jess' interview is the 3rd. I was planning to use my laptop the Thurs. before to do a Body Pump DVD, but I guess I'll just do something at home. Not a big deal.

Vince wants to go see "The Last Jedi" either tomorrow or Wed before Denise gets here. I'll need to straighten up the house, but that won't take all that long. Not sure when we'll be going.

How I can't wait to get back to healthy eating tomorrow. Then I'll probably go somewhat off when Denise and Pete get here, but not as much as I have during the holiday.

Michele in NC

i'll ask kirby, was for christmas :0)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    KJ - The roulade recipe I use is a flour free chocolate meringue which you then roll around whipped cream. Yum! It freezes beautifully and I was able to transport it frozen and defrost it there. I used a Mary Berry recipe, but no sugar/honey in the cream. It's great if you have gluten free guests. :D The perfect make ahead dessert.

Back home now. Relaxing. DH upstairs watching football and I am about to take a nap on the sofa. Nothing much to do for tomorrow 's guests, but make a couple of beds. I need to know when they intend to arrive in the pm as I have a cake in the freezer I will ice if it's earlier. Otherwise we have Indian snacks with dips as an appetiser before the restaurant. So glad I booked it. For the following morning we have croissants and fresh fruit salad. Don't know if they are staying on for lunch, but I have homemade soup in the freezer and rolls, ham, cheese stuff and grilled artichokes.
    Tonight will most likely be just scrambled eggs as we had a big lunch in Hove, eating up the leftovers. :o Including roulade!

Bea had a temperature today and a runny nose and was not at her best. So we will definitely catch it and be ill for New Year. Good job we haven’t got any commitments. We always catch something when we go down there! :s

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options