Options
123457»

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    nxvi wrote: »
    Dairy is full of hormones to grow a small baby calf into a huge, monstrosity of a cow. It is full of pus, and most dairy cows are anxious and are treated awfully.
    You are what you eat, and it makes complete sense that one could be anxious after consuming dairy.
    Dairy is scary and it increases your risk for various types of cancer, as well.

1. Calves are weaned at 8 months. They are still pretty damn small at that point. It's antibiotics and corn during the adults years that make them put on the pounds before slaughter.
    2. Pus? That's *kitten*. What's in milk is white blood cells. You know when people go on and on about how important breast-feeding is for babies and "breast is best" and why women should donate milk for premies? That's what they are talking about. If a cow actually has an infection (usually mastitis) they are taken off rotation until it's better and their tests come back clean. Cows and their milk are inspected and tested regularly because each dairy cow is an expensive investment.

My dairy farming relatives are really sick of these lies.

I thought antibiotics for purposes of growth was recently made illegal or something? I see many farmers online stress how expensive antibiotics are to begin with. I do know about finishing lots (I think that's the right name?) but wasn't aware they used antibiotics as well there. Just looking for clarification :smile:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Dairy is said to be "bad" for you because cows naturally release a lot of hormones in their milk during pregnancy. These hormones (estrogen and progesterone) eventually end up in a person's bloodstream when they consume it. Since our environment is already loaded with tons of xenoestrogens, we actually want to avoid more going into our body to lower the risk of hormone imbalances and eventual problems down the road. Another important thing to note is the fact that most dairy has synthetic hormones added to it ON TOP of the naturally occuring hormones, which isn't that great for endocrine and reproductive health. If you still want a little dairy in your life, raw is the best if it's available in your city. Organic sheeps or goats milk isn't harmful on occasion either.

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I'm pretty sure cows give milk after they give birth, not while they're pregnant (OK, maybe if they get pregnant again while they still have an unweaned calf -- but I don't think that's the way they run things in dairy farming).

Its dairy. They give birth, never nurse their own babies, go directly to producing milk for us, and when they cycle they are bred again. Like humans, they can still produce milk while pregnant as long as there is a demand and they are eating enough calories.

Whose dairy?

And if they can still produce milk while pregnant, why bother breeding them again (yes, breed some of the best milkers to produce the next generation, but you don't need to breed all of them constantly, stealing calories from milk production for calf production).

The hormones that produce milk will taper therefore rebreeding and calving to stimulate hormone and keep supply up. Same systems humans have. My family did dairy, my best friend currently, her husband whose family runs a dairy in New Zealand, both of them who worked in other dairy’s in New Zealand and Canada. Calves are weaned early. Days, or they may never suck from their mother. They are fed colostrum and then milk from her from a bottle or pail. We have a tiny hobby farm. We buy steers as week old babies(who have never nursed from their mothers) and pail feed them until they can be weaned. Dairy is business. People like us buy the male calves and raise them or they are sold for veal. Females are raised to become producers.
  • youngmomtaz
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dairy is full of hormones to grow a small baby calf into a huge, monstrosity of a cow. It is full of pus, and most dairy cows are anxious and are treated awfully.
    You are what you eat, and it makes complete sense that one could be anxious after consuming dairy.

1. Calves are weaned at 8 months. They are still pretty damn small at that point. It's antibiotics and corn during the adults years that make them put on the pounds before slaughter.
    2. Pus? That's *kitten*. What's in milk is white blood cells. You know when people go on and on about how important breast-feeding is for babies and "breast is best" and why women should donate milk for premies? That's what they are talking about. If a cow actually has an infection (usually mastitis) they are taken off rotation until it's better and their tests come back clean. Cows and their milk are inspected and tested regularly because each dairy cow is an expensive investment.

I thought antibiotics for purposes of growth was recently made illegal or something? I see many farmers online stress how expensive antibiotics are to begin with. I do know about finishing lots (I think that's the right name?) but wasn't aware they used antibiotics as well there. Just looking for clarification :smile:

Antibiotics do not promote growth. They are used for infection in infected animals only. Do you mean growth type hormones??
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Antibiotics do not promote growth. They are used for infection in infected animals only. Do you mean growth type hormones??

Yes they do. Antibiotics given to healthy animals help them put on weight. We've been giving it to our healthy livestock since the 40's. It's being phased out, but it's still happening.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/antibiotics-linked-weight-gain-mice/
    http://www.newsweek.com/after-years-debate-fda-curtails-antibiotic-use-livestock-542428
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Dairy is said to be "bad" for you because cows naturally release a lot of hormones in their milk during pregnancy. These hormones (estrogen and progesterone) eventually end up in a person's bloodstream when they consume it. Since our environment is already loaded with tons of xenoestrogens, we actually want to avoid more going into our body to lower the risk of hormone imbalances and eventual problems down the road. Another important thing to note is the fact that most dairy has synthetic hormones added to it ON TOP of the naturally occuring hormones, which isn't that great for endocrine and reproductive health. If you still want a little dairy in your life, raw is the best if it's available in your city. Organic sheeps or goats milk isn't harmful on occasion either.

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I'm pretty sure cows give milk after they give birth, not while they're pregnant (OK, maybe if they get pregnant again while they still have an unweaned calf -- but I don't think that's the way they run things in dairy farming).

Its dairy. They give birth, never nurse their own babies, go directly to producing milk for us, and when they cycle they are bred again. Like humans, they can still produce milk while pregnant as long as there is a demand and they are eating enough calories.

Whose dairy?

And if they can still produce milk while pregnant, why bother breeding them again (yes, breed some of the best milkers to produce the next generation, but you don't need to breed all of them constantly, stealing calories from milk production for calf production).

The hormones that produce milk will taper therefore rebreeding and calving to stimulate hormone and keep supply up. Same systems humans have. My family did dairy, my best friend currently, her husband whose family runs a dairy in New Zealand, both of them who worked in other dairy’s in New Zealand and Canada. Calves are weaned early. Days, or they may never suck from their mother. They are fed colostrum and then milk from her from a bottle or pail. We have a tiny hobby farm. We buy steers as week old babies(who have never nursed from their mothers) and pail feed them until they can be weaned. Dairy is business. People like us buy the male calves and raise them or they are sold for veal. Females are raised to become producers.

You castrate the calves at less than a week old???
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and I cut out dairy. I didn’t cut out dairy because of it, but looking back, my anxiety did improve. I cut out dairy because it makes me break out, have reddish ruddy skin, and causes my IBS-D.
    Try cutting it out for a month and see if you notice a difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if the doctor maybe wasn't so much saying "stop consuming dairy to fix your anxiety" and "try cutting out dairy to see if it will resolve these physical symptoms."

And why not? Where is the harm in giving it a try. If there is no change after a suitable period of being dairy free then add dairy back and no harm, no foul. But what if it does help? No way to really know except to give it a go.

That was so not the point of my post.

It was the point of mine.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options

Whose dairy?

You castrate the calves at less than a week old???

Both lambs and calves in our care get banded as soon as we are sure testicles are dropped. We are not set up for a big production of head gates and squeeze gates and knives and blood when they grow to be a few hundred lbs. Banding is best to do while they are small.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Antibiotics are used for more than just infection. Gastric motility for example.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    Interesting. I was just going by what we have in stock and those doses state timeframes during which the animal is to be treated and how long they have to be completely antibiotic free before butcher(8 weeks the bottle says and our vet would say 10is better). I did not think they were a regular dosing schedule type item. And all the dairy barns I have been in have a “quarantine” area for animals that cannot have milk sent on the trucks due to medication, and medication clearing out of their systems.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

Antibiotics are used for more than just infection. Gastric motility for example.

Dairy causes gastric motility for some people. With or without antibiotics.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    saintor1 wrote: »
    There is definitely scientific ground to limit dairies.

This video is about a doctor who turns tumors ON and OFF just by varying the level of dairies proteins 20% and 5%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAYXxczdyk&feature=youtu.be&t=79

I limit my intake to 2-3oz of Feta per week. Two years ago, I replaced cow mil by almonds milk.

Oh, puleeze.... the China study has been debunked 10 ways to Sunday... the author of the 'study' included only the results that backed up his theory and threw out all of the rest of the results. Even the people who worked with him on this 'study' have disavowed the results and the researcher.

They went full YouTube vegan. Never go full YouTube vegan.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL