• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    I think that website you mentioned above is really great, lots of good ideas. And YOU gave me an idea. The tallest public building in our county is the courthouse - 4 stories. I need to remember when I'm in town to walk UP the stairs and back down again. Some of my co-workers used to do that on their breaks. In retrospect, I wish I had joined them.

I think I've tried a stair machine once, and didn't like it at all, but climbing real stairs is all right, and it is an easy way to fit a bit more exercise in my day. It doesn't take long to climb 10 flights of stairs, so I can do that on a little break at 10:30 am and 3:00 pm or so.

At first, I huff and puff all the way up, but the more I do the easier it becomes.

And it helps a lot for walking and cycling up all the hills around here. :)

Oh but ... the day after the first time you do it, expect your calves to be sore. That's from the descending! But they get used to it after a bit.

Machka in Oz

• jayne6485
    jayne6485 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That’s funny @wildhorsewendy! Heard it called lots of things but not that!
  • Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jayne6485 wrote: »
    That’s funny @wildhorsewendy! Heard it called lots of things but not that!

It's a very common term used in Australia and New Zealand.
  • jayne6485
    Options
    Does anyone know why my profile says I live in Jester, Texas? I don’t even know where that is.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Wendy - you are to be commended on your motherly instincts! >:) Smart thinkin' making a list!

Allie
    - (((HUGS))))

Becca
    - (((HUGS)))) as well. I've been my DH's reluctant caregiver a couple times and don't look forward to being it again, tho it may come to that. I don't want to be the "strong one", darn it. I am weaker than I let on!

I ran across an article recently in WebMD about how to curb anxiety: https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/ways-to-reduce-anxiety. A lot of it is run of the mill advice, but I really liked #5 and it follows Barbie's advice about staying in the moment. I've been using it when my brain gets caught up in everything that could go wrong when/if my DH has vascular surgery in the near future:

5. Follow the 3-3-3 rule.

Look around you and name three things you see. Then, name three sounds you hear. Finally, move three parts of your body -- your ankle, fingers, or arm. Whenever you feel your brain going 100 miles per hour, this mental trick can help center your mind, bringing you back to the present moment, Chansky says. (Repeat, repeat, repeat if you need to!)

Hope this helps!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Yes those do help, stay in the moment! Thank you friend!
    Becca!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    @costalgosgal Things will get better and there is always something to be thankful for. A favorite aunt use to say: this too shall pass. It’s the truth too. Hugs and have a blessed weekend. ❤️❤️❤️

My favorite aunt used to tell me, " all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be exceedingly well!

I need to thank my lucky stars! And of course I thank all of you!
    Becca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    Pip- looking at your relaxed fur babies makes me feel relaxed.

Mine are currently tearing around the house after a squeaky toy. The relaxing for all of us will come later, lol.

Lanette
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Lanette, for many of his procedures, and transplant, I have gotten to be with him. The last time, they actually brought in a folding bed. I was able to take a shower in his room as well. Husband ordered a couple of items for me to eat, a side salad etc. It gets me into the mode of caregiver as well. Seeing what the nurses are doing.
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Hidee ho,
    Took a nap and then got up ,put my jammies back on and I'm back in bed..
    Becca- sweet friend ,the serenity prayer works for me...the future is not promised ,a day at a time dear friend.
    That is how I am taking my life right now a day at a time.

Hugs sweet friend. I appreciate you!
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie, I was wondering what Tom was doing through all of this. I'm glad he had enough respect for your Dad and you to assist. I still pra so hard every night for you.

My dear Becca, I a,msomglad you broke down with your hubbie and he was able to bring you down. You two love each other so much and that is what will get you through his problems right now. I agree with Allie. The Serenity prayer works every time.

Wendy, you are such a flirt. I'm glad it made you feel good to feel young again.

Well still having problems with a low blood pressure at times. Yesterday my doctor dcreased one of my meds from 4/day to 3/ day. But today we needed to go to Sam's and from there to Walmart. Walking around Walmart, I could tell I was getting dizzy. I was wearing a sweatshirt and even if I had gone over to where they have the blood pressure cuff, I would have had to take my arm out of my sweatshirt. I'm not doing that in public. Well if some one was there to make sure I was completely covered from the public and made sure I had my coat around my mid section that was all exposed. So by the time I got home, put stuff up and sat down it was 126/66. That is low for me and I didn't stand up for awhile to see if it dropped. But the one medicine I was supposed to take at that time is to be held if it is lower than 130. So it still means that doctor needs to continue to lower some of my meds. I am also trying to increase my fluid intake. I am supposed to call th office Monday. I'm glad he is keeping s close check every week. He really is such a wonderful guy. He is 62 and looking for a young guy to be in the office with him to take over whenever he feels the time has come to retire.

Still watching the 4 Continents Figure skating.

Still have t decided whether to go to church tomorrow. The pain in my hand and face is still there fairly severe and the blood pressure issue. But I haven't been to church in weeks. That's just not me.

Nighty night, Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why my profile says I live in Jester, Texas? I don’t even know where that is.

:) I don't know why the information is wrong, but there is a way to change it. If you're using a computer, click on "Profile" on the home page, then "edit profile". I can't find a way to change it on the phone app
  • GodMomKim
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm thinking that if I go back to Mexican Train, maybe I won't even bother to bring a dessert. I'm not a dessert person, and it looks like there are going to be a lot of desserts. Who needs a whole lot? Two or three is enough, not 8

Lanette - thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it and plan to watch it soon

Becca - your husband sounds like a really wonderful man. You are so lucky to have him. Then again, he's so lucky to have you. You both are so lucky. Absolutely love that picture of the cat in the flowers

M - I get the Skinnytaste posts too! I'm a meal planner, but I just find that I can't follow someone else's preset plan. I like to do my own thing

Did someone say something about walking DOWN stairs on a stairmaster. CRS now. What was it?

Barbara <groan> thanks for the smile.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
  • jayne6485
    Options
    @barbiecat Thank you. I am using an IPAD. If I can’t fix it I will leave it alone and reside in Jester.
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did someone say something about walking DOWN stairs on a stairmaster. CRS now. What was it?

I walk up and down real stairs, but not a stairmaster.

Any time I talk about doing stairs, I'm talking about real stairs, 20 steps per flight, with landings to walk across and everything. :)

M in Oz