WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    Options
    Heather - if you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd like the quinoa and beetroot salad recipe. I was just thinking I need to make another pot of quinoa. I got my full walk in this morning, it went well and foot hardly bothered me at all. I've found rubbing Flexall 420 cream (it's made from marijuana/hemp and has a lot of the CBD which is the pain killer part - doesn't make a person "high") really helps with that pain. All it takes is a little teeny dab.

Rita - are you able to get a walk in? I hate those days when my DH is worried about things like that and Mr. Super Grump. Anymore, I call him on it and tell him I want PEACE in this house, and I am his ally! so dumping on me is not allowed. It often helps. And if I leave for a bit like walking or running to town to do shopping, he thinks about it and cheers up. Are you able to do that?

Allie
    - so glad you are taking the step to getting your son help.

Carol - is your DH still in the antique business? I ran across a bag of old costume jewelry the other day I had packed in an old wardrobe and thought about your jewelry. I hope the market picks up for you this year!

Lanette
    Warm and misty SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    We're back after WAY too long driving days Thursday and again yesterday. We were on the road for about 11 1/2 hours each day and that's just too long for both of us at this age. We won't do that again, we'll have to break it up into two days. We normally take the motor home and make it a two day trip but due to uncertain weather in Denver with snow and ice we didn't want to drive it into a storm.

The service was nice and lots of family there. My sister two years older than me has manic depression and has battled it for years. She refused to attend and did not want us to stop by so I didn't get to see her, that makes me sad. My sis just one year older and I had a wonderful visit and we went to dinner with her and her husband and had a wonderful visit. This is the sister that had the severe heart attack in the August.

But the worst part of the entire trip occurred on the drive home yesterday. In the middle of no where Kansas we stopped for gas and I went inside to use the restroom. There was only ice cold water in which to wash my hands and my hand were so red and chapped anyway, so I took off my emerald and diamond wedding rings and laid them on the sink as I had to use one of those wall mounted electric blow dryers. About 15 minutes down the road as I realized I had left my rings. My husband turned back at the first available exit, in the mean time I looked up the phone number on line and called the gas station, explained who I was and that we were just there about 15minutes earlier and bought coffee. He said yest I remember you. I explained I had left my rings in the restroom, I barely got it out of my mouth and he said they're gone. I said can you check please, he asked if I had left them beside the sink I answered Yes. Again, he immediately answered nope they are gone sorry and hung up. Needless to say I have not been able to stop crying over the situation and it was own dumb fault. I never do that and take them off.

Then about two hours later I am eating half a protein bar, soft with no nuts, caramel or anything and the front half of one of my upper molars in the back back broke off. Ugh.

So I'm glad to be home, some pain from tooth but not intolerable, I'll call the dentist first thing in the morning. I assume there is another crown in the very near future.

I appreciate all your prays and positive thoughts.

Much love,
    Janetr OKC (where it is warm and NO snow or ice)

Janetr
    - Oh no! What a day! An idea - you might consider calling the police in that town and see if you can file a police report - the rings might show up in a local pawn shop in the near future. If you know the county the gas station was in, you should be able to find their 911 center non-emergency number and they'll help you figure out the police/sheriff jurisdiction with a phone number.

And that's a bummer about your tooth! :(

((((HUGS))))

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet: Sounds like the person you spoke to knew exactly where the rings went....in his pocket! :'(:s

Lanette: My DH is not actively selling right now but still goes out to buy when he can get a good deal. I mainly deal with vintage costume jewelry. I am not actively selling either. If we were closer we would love to see what you found.

Carol in GA

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Allie, I hope you can get some help for your son. So hard when our babies (doesn't matter how old they are, they're still our babies!) are hurting. {{{HUGS}}} for both of you.
    Janetr, what a shame about your rings. I kinda have to agree with Carol in GA, they probably went into the guys pocket. I also agree with Lanette, you should try to file a report with the police, something could turn up at some point. {{{HUGS}}} for you too! Hope you can get to a dentist quickly and get that tooth taken care of. OUCH!
    Sorry, can't remember whose DH doesn't want to admit that he needs a larger waist size pant, my DH was like that for awhile. He wore the same waist size for years, then retired and so of course was not as active. He was saying that his pants and shirts were shrinking! lol These were clothes that he had owned for awhile, there was no shrinkage happening! I knew what was going on, but I humored him. He seems to have stabilized now, but he's one of those annoying people who can eat whatever they want and not worry about becoming overweight. While he has gained, he's still not overweight. He could probably lose 10 lbs, but really doesn't need to. sigh.....
    The wheels fell off my bus a bit last night, but I was able to rein in the food intake before it got too much out of control, so I'm happy about that, but can't get back into those bad habits! Too easy to do tho...
    Hope everyone has a good one!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Ah Rita, sorry your husband being crabby and a pill about a hernia surgery. Just FYI, my husband had a hernia surgery many years ago when we lived in California. I was the designated driver, (I didn't have a drivers license then!).... So we had the huge RV as our "about town car", and just let him sleep for a bit after surgery. With kids in tow, we then drove to the clothing optional resort, and let him recoup there. Perfect place! No clothes, incision healed nicely. He was in the shade most of the time! You tell your husband that, give him a giggle!
    Becca
    Officially can be a designated driver in
    Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Allie did your son want to go?

Is he a danger to himself or others? If the answer is no you may have to fight to get him admitted. They may tell you to make an appointment with his doctor. If you believe he is extremely ill do not let them. Mental illness even among the professionals is not always well understood.

If your son is over 21 and says he does not want to stay they will also let him go. You may have to impress how important it is for him to stay so he can get the treatment he needs. Unfortunately they lump all those with mental illness together and the symptoms are very different depending on what kind you have.

The medical treatment of mental illness has come a long way, but it still has a long way to go.

Questions the medical team may not ask but are important.. How is he sleeping? Is he exercises? Is he drinking (adds to depression) Is he filling up on junk food? (sugar adds to depression) How is his Vit D levels? (low Vit D causes depression)

If nothing else start with requesting a Vit D check.

Yes there is usually a long wait in an ER unless it is life and death. Blood and vomit gets first attention along with stroke and heart attacks.

(((Hugs)))
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Oh Janetr, that's terrible! The absolute +&#%: Definitely get the police to pay him a visit. :#:#:#
    Warggghhh about the tooth. <3

Allie - more hugs to you. < <3

Lanette - it is not a recipe just a mix of 4oz of cooked quinoa with chopped beetroot, carrot, celery, salad onion, lemon juice, seasoning and I chucked in an oz of stinky cheese. :D:o

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Quickly stopping by to say hi.
    Been very busy, updates later.

Chris in MA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Janet: Sounds like the person you spoke to knew exactly where the rings went....in his pocket! :'(:s

Carol in GA

Janet...My thoughts exactly! I'd call the owner of the station ... assuming that the guy you talked to was only an attendant.

Allie .... I am so sorry you are dealing with yet another crisis, but getting help for your son is imperative. My OS is experiencing extreme stress due to his housing situation being in flux ... sadly, he is struggling with his thoughts. I plan to share Lanette's post with him when he's agreeable.

Beth
  • bwcetc
    Options
    Janetr ... I have lost valuable jewelry in the past and I know the sick bottomless feeling it leaves you with. It's only a "thing" ... but still it's a precious thing. I was wondering if you might have the rings insured under your homeowner's policy? My jewelry is covered and did not require a special rider. Not likely to take away the sense of loss but maybe lessen the pain a little ...
  • bwcetc
    Options
    DrKatieBug... I've been thinking about your reno project .. are you switching out the tub and shower stall? In your photo they appeared to be off-white ...in which case I might go with the taupe/tan/offwhite based tiles and floor. But then I tend to get a little weird about things like that.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Beth, we are replacing the shower stall with a tile shower. We are keeping the tub. The tub is an off-white. The sink basins and toilet are white. I never noticed that until my mother commented on it. Now it bugs me, but not enough to change the tub. I’m not even sure you can change a huge tub like that after the house is built, without great expense anyway. I might be able to swing a refinish of it in a whiter color. The current tile is definitely white and looks fine next to the off white tub. At least it does to me. I’m leaning toward the taupe because it goes well with the existing shower curtain, trash can, etc. but then all the towels and rugs I’ve been seeing are gray, so I don’t know! My DH likes the taupe, too. The taupe is considerably more expensive per sq ft, too. I don’t know why. I’m going to one more tile place tomorrow. I may see something that knocks these out of the running. Who knows?

Our house will never be totally put together, because of the piecemeal way we get work done. We made a vow, however, to only get it done as we had cash to pay for it, so it is a process. The shower needs replacing, so it’s the bathroom’s turn.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    (((Janetr))) I agree his answers were suspect. You may need to file a police report for insurance reasons. I know they are more valuable to you then their appraised value.