WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,596 Member
    Katla - (((HUGS)) Sorry for your slump. :( Sometimes you just have to "fake it till you make it". <3 Just putting one foot in front of the other until you finally arrive where you want to be. That’s the approach I have been using with my memoir. e.g. "I know how to get out my typescript. I know how to look at one sentence. I know how to pick up a pencil etc etc."

With exercise I don't even ask myself how I'm feeling. I just treat it as a commitment I can't break. That (normally) works. But I do have my very own personal trainer - DH! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,202 Member
    Cheri so sorry for your loss!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Heather - I'm with you on the fake it till you make it.... It's been a go to for years on many a situation.

Kim
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,056 Member
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Hi Sisters, just came in from my morning chores and I am in a hot sweat! I was 'kickin chit' up and down our hilly paddocks to spread the manure out for natural fertilizer. Doubt if I can log 'chit kickin' in MFP.

Katla, when I run low of energy I take two ginseng capsules (natural herbal) and I find it a wonderful pick me up.

Felicia, yes different people define "sugar" in different ways. Thank God we are still a free society and can freely express our own opinions. Freely exchanging opinions in a respectful way is how people learn and grow. For myself, I am not addicted to fruit or rice or bread which have a type of sugar in them...I would never give up fruit as I think the health benefits they provide far outweigh any negatives. I don't like white sugar straight out of the sugar bowl...it has to be mixed with chocolate and fat preferably. LOL. That is the habit I am trying to kick. The woman I posted about, Carolyn Hartz, has just published a book called Sugar Free Baking and has a company called Sweet Life that sells a natural sugar substitute. People are criticizing her online saying she looks good only because she has had plastic surgery not because she eats a sugar-free diet. If I could substitute eating fruit rather than chocolate things I would be happy. So far, I haven't been able to stick to that.

Heather, maybe it's time to do a beach photo shoot and inspire us all, LOL. I think you're really lucky to naturally prefer savoury over sweet.

Lanette, glad to know you are another "Still Feeling It" fan! We should have an online dance party, skype and exercise together. LOL Maybe Barbara could put together a line dance to that song for us. It would have to be a 'nerdy' one like the video...I do love the rebel against society status and expectations in that video.

I am going out to see if I've got any queens making and then I have to head into the police department to give them a "Statement." I've had several calls from a lady detective who has been investigating my stolen phone and purse and she has told me they've got footage of the thief and car rego, from the cameras at McDonalds where they used my eftpos card. I think the police need my statement before they can get a search warrent... I would have thought my original visit to the police department and report would have been sufficient but I guess not.

<3 you all! Wendy
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,576 Member
    Rosie is home from the groomer who says she has FLEAS! So she and Sophie get their flea treatment today, and so does Kitty who I'm thinking is the vector. We'd see Rosie scratching now and then and really examined her but those darn little bugs are sneaky. Not having a cold winter will likely make them worse.

Antihistamine seems to be working so I'm laying money it's allergies today. I visit the allergist first week of March.

Katla - I hear you on the low-energy! So far I haven't had cabin fever too bad. Looks like we may get a sunny weekend! Sorry to hear about your neighbor breaking bones - seems like when I was a child, a person would never hear about a gal breaking bones unless she was very old and frail to begin with. I wonder what has changed since then - our diets? Our dieting? Our activity level?

Wendy
    - thank you for sharing the info about Carolyn Hartz! I think a person can be sugar free (but not carb free) as Hartz demonstrates. It appears she doesn't use added sugars but uses sugar substitutes.

If I truly wanted to be sugar-free I'd not eat candy or processed sweet foods since I don't add sugar to coffee. The best I can do, when I set my mind to it, is go low sugar, which means having no more than 4 tsp of added sugars per day. I eat Ezekial 4:9 Sesame Sprouted Grain bread which has zero sugar. Carbs - yes. Sugar - no.

So, even on a low-sugar day, I can end up eating 50 gm of sugar according to MFP but it's mostly natural sugar found in dairy products (with protein and some fat) or fruit (which has fiber) and those sugars, according to the experts, don't have an adverse effect on otherwise healthy folks.

Anyhow, Hartz looks great! Even if she had some "enhancements" she had the basics. I'm afraid I let myself get too overweight and didn't exercise enough when I was younger so doubtful I'd ever look like her, I have too many "saggy bits" lol.

I heard "Still Feeling It" on the radio when I was driving the pup to the groomers this morning. I did NOT stop and dance in the road, tho I will admit to doing something like that fifty years ago when I was out late one night with my drunken pals with a Rolling Stones tune turned up full blast, lol.

Another one of my favorites is "Can't stop the Feeling" (Dance, Dance, Dance) by Justin Timberlake. I think he is HOT >:) Don't tell DH, lol.

OK, we just put "Revolution" on the dogs. I wish we didn't have to use that poison but it works. We only use it when we see fleas and not year-around so generally just a few times a year is enough.

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,192 Member
    Kayla— yes what you looked up is correct! Lol

DH has allergy testing scheduled for tomorrow. My mamo and bone density are both next Wednesday. DH does not want the colonoscopy for another couple years. Oh well, at least I tried....

RV Rita rocking in the RV
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,581 Member
    edited January 2018
    DH just got back from the DDS and is angry, feels the man is a cheat. Quoted $2300 for crown lenghthening/new crown on rearmost molar. Required $1000 today then balance when crown done. After 10 minutes work cutting away gum he said new crown wouldn't last, needs a $4800 titanium "tooth". He'd apply today's $1000 toward it bringing new cost down to $3800. When I spoke with front desk, she said we still have the option to continue with the original crown, with the understanding that it "may" not last. Joe never wants to see that man again, but because of the $$ we're into it is willing to go for the original crown. What do you think?

Lanette Sorry your community is losing those stores. Will there still be a Sears catalog store? Internet shopping is a blessing and a curse, can get things shipped to us we can't get here, but at cost of local jobs and economic impact.

Oops 5 pages to go but time's up.
    Mindful and WARM Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,576 Member
    Terry- that Tony is a snuggler! Just looking at him all tucked in has to make you feel better! <3 Enjoy the weather warmup - hope you aren't dealing with too much slush and mud!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Weill I posted but it's not here so I will post again.

Heather, Edie is quite the camera ham. I hope Lisa's good luck in selling her warehouse rubs off on you.

Had my doctors appointment this morning. To start out with, my blood pressure was lower with their cuff. She took it on my upper arm and I have been taking it on my wrist since that is what they used in the hospital. So since I had my cuff with me, I took it in the office and it was quite a bit higher. When I got home I took it both on my wrist and upper arm and the arm level was lower.

He agreed with me that the level of pain I am having in my fingers, now in my lip and nose, that it could be causing the b/p to be going up. So he ordered Neurontin for me. So far I have not had the drowsiness I was warned about. But he starts me out on 100mg 3 times a day. I am hoping, hoping and hoping it takes care of the pain. He is also going to have me start PT for my left hand. I can't even cup my hand to get water when brushing my teeth. I have a battery powered toothbrush and I can't turn it on with my left hand either.

Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I am in wonderland!!!!!!!! It was 197.6 this morning! I wish I knew what cause it though. I have cut out the chocolate since I finished it all after Christmas. another thing is that I usually don't have breakfast and a very small lunch but my suppers aren't exactly low calorie. As far as excersise, nothing. I skit hope I can continue along this course.

Doctor did request a two week check up but I already had my physical schedule for the 24th so that worked out. He also asked for a cardiology consult it I already had a check up with her for next week. When they called this afternoon because I hadn't gotten my requests lab work done, I told her what was going on and they rescheduled me for this Friday. So I am getting all my ducks in a row.

Some one was talking about the figure skating. Did you notice that after they skate they were put in an area and provided with puppies? I thought that was real neat. And I don't think they ever gave the name of a rescue place so it wasn't done as an advertisement, was just done because it was cool.

Lenora, you really need to get a DVR. Do they still make VCRs??????. That would take care of the job also. I know what you mean though. If I go to bed after my sleeping pill has been in my system to long, I have a lot of trouble going to to sleep. And with my B/P as high as it is, I stay up to take my B/P after I take my med and then take my as needed medicine but then I have to stay up another hour to see if that med works. So I need to not take my sleeping pill with my big load of meds at 10 PM.

Joyce, Indiana.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 861 Member
    Haven't had Kmart here for years and our Sears just closed on Monday. Kinda miss Kmart, haven't bought anything in Sears for quite some time so don't think I'll miss it. It was also a bit far away to get to on a regular basis so that did play a part in my non interest, but I did go there a few times because I was sure they would have a specific item and they didn't so that also plays a part. There are enough stores in my area for me to spend way more money than I need to, so I guess it's all good! lol
    Down 1.8 lbs this week, for a total of 4.2 lbs in the last two weeks! I'm kinda doing the happy dance here!!
    Well, gotta go get the rest of Christmas put away. Made good inroads yesterday, so need to get the rest of it done today. Have a great day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    DH just got back from the DDS and is angry, feels the man is a cheat. Quoted $2300 for crown lenghthening/new crown on rearmost molar. Required $1000 today then balance when crown done. After 10 minutes work cutting away gum he said new crown wouldn't last, needs a $4800 titanium "tooth". He'd apply today's $1000 toward it bringing new cost down to $3800. When I spoke with front desk, she said we still have the option to continue with the original crown, with the understanding that it "may" not last. Joe never wants to see that man again, but because of the $$ we're into it is willing to go for the original crown. What do you think?

Lanette Sorry your community is losing those stores. Will there still be a Sears catalog store? Internet shopping is a blessing and a curse, can get things shipped to us we can't get here, but at cost of local jobs and economic impact.

Oops 5 pages to go but time's up.
    Mindful and WARM Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.

I think you should get a second opion
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    We lost our Sears store also. It is in an old mall and we fear that when Sears closes, there goes the mall. We have two malls here. I think the other mall was th first one in Indiana. It is mostly doctors offices now. Has a medical supply, hospital educational place for people who are having joint replacements. Also a pt for after replacements. And a pharmacy. So Sears and one other retail store was god for all the people going into all the medical appointments. I think the only other thing in there is a very popular night club.

Watching Fixer Upper now. I have heard that all the furniture comes from the Magnolia Warehouse and if they want it, they hav to but it.

Edie is quite the camera ham Heather.

Ok,mwe the to doctor today. He agrees with me that one reason for my blood pressure is the amount of pain in my fingers. And it s in my lips and a little on my nose. I figure it will also go to my cheek as my feeling returns. So he ordered Neurontin for me. I'm starting out low, 100mg 3 times a day. He warned me about the drowsiness but so far it hasn't hit me. I know when I started my Epitol/Tegretol for my facial pain trigeminal neuralgia I was drowsy for 8 days with each dose increase. Plus, nurse took my B/P on my upper arm and it was a fairly decent reading. So I took it on my wrist with my cuff and it was its usual high reading. So I am going to make sure I take it on my upper arm. He asked for a recheck in weeks and I already had my physical 1/24. We also talks about a cardiology appointment an I already had one for 1/16 but they changed I to this Friday. So I hi I I am taken care of. Oh, he also ordered physical therapy for my arm.

Congrats Lia on h sale of your house. Myth yo can end som luck to Heather.

Hopefully will get to choir tonight if I'm not to drowsy.

Joyce, Indiana

Both DH and I take neurontin that helps but we feel no side effects