WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/2 hr of the Gilad 45/45 split DVD. I swear I had it, but I can't find it. Glad I did find it at Habitat for Humanity, tho. Since we have a Newcomer general meeting tomorrow, the plan for tomorrow is to do a Gilad Step and Tone DVD at home.

Rori - I downloaded that app, looks really good. I do feel bad that it logged me as doing it one consecutive day and all I was doing was fooling around. Oh well... Congrats on your retirement. I know that your dh will really love having you around the house and it'll ease your mind. When in Jan is your birthday? Have a great time on your trip. I'm so glad we got to meet. It probably wouldn't happen once you retired, so I'm really grateful

Re - another advantage to having a personal trainer is that they can show you or make sure you stay in good form which is so important. I got into a bad habit of doing a squat incorrectly because I only took classes, never had a personal trainer. When I did get one, she corrected me. Now I'm very careful that I do them correctly.

Sharon - I'm so sorry you got so sick.

Took in a lot of the Christmas decorations. Working in a t-shirt...now that's the way it should always be.

Lou - one thing I absolutely hate is ice. Snow I can deal with, even cold temps. But I hate ice. Planet Fitness always seems to have specials so just give it time.

Finishing up the crab cakes that Jess made for Christmas Eve (they're in the freezer and I just take them out as I need them). She put so much oil in the pan when she cooked them! I swear, they were almost deep fried. She did the same thing with the fish. When I made the fish for when Denise came down here, I didn't use nearly that much oil.

Rita - good luck at the doctor's. It probably isn't as bad as you are fearing. Let us know

Lisa - YAAAAAA

Cheri - my heart is breaking for you. I know only too well how hard this is. Know that you made the best decision for Pokey

tweetyras - welcome. So glad to have you. Every time I hear Chubby Checkers, it reminds me of the fact that he was the featured entertainer at the 50th Daytona 500

Wendy - I, too, prefer to get my vitamins, minerals, etc from food rather than a pill. I admit to taking a multi just as insurance and calcium, but that's it. when I remember, I try to put some cinnamon in my breakfast, especially if I'm having plain yogurt

Michele in NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well here it is the 9th already. At work I am signing up for the walking challange that starts the 22nd. 180,000 in 28 days. I know for some of you that is not a lot, but for me it is going to take some work.

Sounds like we are in for a big snow storm starting tomorrow evening. Not so worried about the snow, the wind is to be strong and that I do not like
    DH put moth balls around the outside of our house a couple times a year and it keep the spiders and other bugs out of the house. It only smells for a couple days but is worth it to keep them outside.

Katla--DH and I are planning the same when we pass. Our oldest son is in charge of spreading the ashes into the ocean. Had that plan for years. Who ever goes first the other one is in charge of the ashes.

Felicia--Love the vacation pictures. Looks like you were on the go all the time.

Margaret--Sending prayers and hugs for whatever is going on family wise.

Rori--Congrates on setting the date. Enjoy your trip and hope to hear all about it. Happy Birthday

Lisa--Great news on the cash sale. Happy dance for you.

Cheri--Sending big hugs. So sorry to hear about Pokey. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Well ladies time to sign off and get settled down for the evening. Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Cherie, so sorry about Pokey, so hard to lose our furbabies.
    Lisa, keeping my fingers crossed for you! Will this mean you will have to go back there and get a bunch of stuff if it sells?
    Thank heavens for preview, stupid autocorrect changed "furbabies" to "crybabies"! Would not have been the same at all!
    Supposed to be taking Christmas down today. Feeling extremely unmotivated.... I will start, right after I catch up on all the posts!! I think it may take me a few days, but I didn't put it all out in one day so....
    Linens again, I really need to go thru a bunch of linen related stuff and get rid of some of it. I did get rid of some old towels when we moved, took them to the vet, they were thrilled! And I was happy to be rid of them. Win, Win!
    We don't use a top sheet either but do have a few. I used part of one to back the quilt that I made for our grandson. I made a few pillowcases with the rest of it. I will turn the other flat sheet into more pillowcases and get rid of some that we are currently using that are stained and really not looking very nice anymore. The sheets that go with the old pillowcases are still just fine.
    I have some curtains too that have seen better days and need to go. We're not using them so no point in hanging on to them.
    Okay, must finish reading and get busy!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I think I have bee reading on and off all day long. I am finall done. Cheri, I am so sorry. I know a dcsion like that is not mad lightly. He/she looks beautiful. Hugs to you. We had to make that decision once and it's like your heart is being ripped out.

Lou, I hav chronic back pain and trochanteric bursutis. With that, as soon as I am on my side, that upper high is burning like crazy. Put that wh my very painful fingers, I need that Narco. And when I woke up today, my lip was like my fingers. I am hoping that it means that sensation is coming back. Just another question to ask my doctor tomorrow morning. One thing he will like is my weight loss. When I was admitted to the hospital, I had lost some wight and I really hadn't done anything to lose weight. Then I gained 5 pounds in the hospital. I am now weighing 2 pounds less than when I went into the hospital!

Katla I have tried the sleepy time tea. When I first started using it I thought it was helping. But not anymore. One night I put two tea bags in and that really helped. Maybe I just need to go get me some valerian root. But I already take melatonin, Ambien and Clonazapen. And my Epitol helps me sleep. So I m no going to ad amour med. I pull pep better if Chalrie wouldn't wake me up jut to se if I am alive. First he touches me then all out my name. Of cause I m awake now. And you wake a 67 year old woman and she immediately needs to go to the bathroom. And all hat aids my blood pressure. It h Ben pretty good today. Not wonderful but OK. One reading was very normal.

Well thanks to me, Amazon was the top seller this past season. Did yo all help!!!!!!!

Penny, if you don't want to post, just put some pictures up.

Joyce, indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @kevrit ... were you the one who taught Data Analysis some time ago?

If so, what software did you use?

Machka in Oz

It was mostly theory. Used SQL and Oracle to run queries. It was a long time age and I don’t use it so I lost most of it. Lol

RV Rita

We're looking at things like clustering and K-mean and probability formulas and things like that. Using R as our software. We're all expected to know databases and SQL but this is, so far, all about cleaning the data and analysing it.

M in Oz
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    After three hours in doctor's office, I'm not sure I like him. But got blood work done and meds refilled. They never told me what my blood pressure was. Was told I needed a bone density test and they would do t here, but have to call tomorrow as it was never scheduled. The doc did recommend a good meat market where we could get some seafood. We went there and found some great stuff.

Food for thought..... anyone ever have huevos de toro? How would you cook that?

RV Rita
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    I take a capsule of powdered turmeric (not a pill) with black pepper specifically to help with joint inflammation. (RA) I believe it is helping as I am able to walk or run much further than I used to without pain. I still get twinges in my left hip and can't do long walks, but I would say I have improved a lot. I take one capsule twice a day. :D I do put it in my Indian food, but I don't eat enough to make a difference. It's not my favourite taste.
    I also take a powdered beetroot capsule twice a day to help with blood pressure. This only works for people who genetically don't process nitrates/nitrites properly. It has lowered mine, especially my diastolic.
    The only other thing I take is a vitamin D capsule, because I avoid the sun and rarely go out in it.

I take a blood pressure (calcium uptake inhibitor ) pill once a day. The beetroot helped get the diastolic down by an extra 5 pointsand a few points for the systolic. I have been annoyed that, despite my healthy weight, good diet and loads of exercise, my blood pressure still merited a medication, but I guess it's genetic. I'm pleased with the beetroot results.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Why do you avoid the sun?

I ask as I am absolutely basking in it right now between classes. :) I love the sun and spend as much time in it as I can.

The very idea of avoiding it makes me sad.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Vicki - good luck on your walk. I know you can do it.

Lisa in NC - how horrible for your friend. To have your mother die in your arms -- I can't imagine living with something like that.

Michele in NC
  • EPmomdoc
    EPmomdoc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a doctor and they never tell me my blood pressure unless I specifically ask and sometimes the nurse doesn’t want to tell me- how ridiculous - always ask you should know your vital signs !
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I was lying on Mother' pillow talking to her and twirling her hair when she took her last breath. I know I jerked up and both my sister asked, 'What's wrong'. When I told them that Mother had taken her last breath and was gone; they were both like chickens with their heads cut off. It was something that I'll never forget. I hope my Daddy went the same way. I do remember climbing up on his bed and telling him that it was 'ok for him to let go, we'd be ok'.

I haven't been exercising and I haven't been able to force myself to drink liquids. That must change.

Lenora
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) When I see my doctor, the nurse tells me my weight, blood pressure, temperature, and heart rate after she checks them. When I leave the office I get a paper with all that information along with a summary of what was covered at the visit, what directions she gave me to follow, and when to come back and under what circumstances. The same information is available to me online.

:'(Cheri I am so sorry about Pokey. Our fur babies never stay with us long enough.

:)Lisa, congrats on the sale of your warehouse. When we sold our last house, the buyers were quite elderly and we hoped every day that neither would die before the sale closed. Six years later, they are both still alive and healthy.

:) Stats for today:
    *15,000 steps
    * 187 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *284 minutes riding the exercise bike (I watched a lot of figure skating and another program)

<3 Barbie from beautiful drizzly NW Washington

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    My doc didn't tell me my blood pressure until I started asking, now I don't have to ask, he just tells. Mind you, it's better than it had been for quite some time so maybe that's why he's willing to share. We do have a cuff and I can check it anytime I want to so not a big deal if he doesn't say anything.
    Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and her mom. Heartbreaking...... Nice that you won't have to go back to the warehouse, so excited for you getting it sold, huge load off your plate for sure! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you that it actually does sell, but it sure sounds good so far!
    Today wasn't a bad day, still recovering from the TRX class yesterday, definitely found some muscles that haven't worked much in the last little while!! lol Looking forward to my Epsom salt soak, which will be happening shortly!
    Have a great night/day!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    huevos de toro - Rita my spanish is rusty but that is eggs of bulls aka Bull's balls.... and I would not cook it.

Kim

I know!
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Watching "Fixer Upper" and wondering if 'in the price to remodel the house' the people who are buying the house have a 'furniture allowance' build in. I'd want to have the furnishings they put in as well ... in all the houses they do. I have liked that Joanna has started using more color in the houses she is doing rather than the 'gray' that most of them have.

Lenora[/quote]

The furnishings are not included in the Reno costs. They can be purchased but at an additional cost. The piece that they commission from Clint Harp, the woodworker, are given to the homeowners as a gift.

The furniture is moved in just for the show. Most people already own a houseful of furniture. There was an article with one of the clients that included pictures of the home as shown on TV and then with the clients own furnishings.

Cathy, Arlington, TX