WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• loumoon5
    loumoon5 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tweetyras - Welcome! Don't discount your persistence. You're here and that counts.

~Lou from the burbs
    Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. - Arthur Ashe
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cheri, I'm sorry for your loss of Pokey. Losing a pet is losing a member of your family and rips a huge hole in your heart. Sending love... <3 Wendy :'(
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Cheri so sorry for your loss. Losing our fur babies is so hard. Hugs!!

Lisa great news. An all cash offer should close quick!

Tweety welcome!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    (((Cheri))) He looks like a sweetheart

Lisa, great news about the warehouse! What a weight off your shoulders and so quickly.

Tweetyras, welcome! Like Lou said, you’re here and that counts

Heather, sorry things are still up in the air about the proposed building. Hope it is decided soon.

Off to staff meeting. Terry
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Yogi is 4 today

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOGI!! Are we having a birthday party for him today? For some reason I think every day is a party for the pups at Pip's and Kirby's house! B)<3

Karen in VA - I'm reading something right now in the "Back in Control" book about mindfulness - your little breaks remind me a lot of what he says about redirecting thoughts to reduce stress. What's your bladder capacity by the way? LOL! I swear, the dispatchers I used to work with could hold a gallon!

Looks like a good day here to get a walk in when the sun comes up. Might even see a few rays!

Welcome newbies, I am enjoying getting to know you and your lives, even your weather. Keep posting!

Have a great Monday everyone! Hope the welcome thaw gets here quickly!

Lanette
    SW WA State

LOL! Yep! A gallon! :D:D:D
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,407 Member
    Options
    Cheri - So terribly sorry... their too-short lives are filled with ten times the love, it seems...

Offer's in, paperwork signed, headed for escrow. Step one down... they want to close by the 25th. Commercial property moves MUCH faster than residential, it took only two weeks total when we bought it, so it could well happen even faster, as it's a cash sale. Ours had to wait on the loan to fund. We'll see... will make my banker happy. :)

Lisa in NC

Lisa -

I really wish we still had the "Awesome" choice. I want to hit the "Woo" for "Woo hoo!" lol. What a neat thing! Stars lining up!! <3

Lanette

SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,407 Member
    Options
    Cheri - sorry about Pokey :'( Sounds like she lived a long and very happy life with you... and the happiness was mutual. ((((HUGS))))

Lanette
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: You will be missed. I look forward to you being with us regularly in the future. :star:

Heather: I've gone alcohol free because it was getting the better of me. I wasn't stopping with just one. I think it was messing with my ability to think clearly, too. Alcohol seems to be bad news all the way around for me. I already feel like my thinking and mood have improved. I hope the scale follows soon. :embarassed:

Terry in VT: I did knock on my neighbor's door and took her a miniature rose. Her guy thanked me for it and said she was sleeping. My heart goes out to both of them. :cry:

Janet: Here in our neighborhood there are several of us born in the same year and we call ourselves 49ers. There are a few older and one young family with children. :smiley:

judefit: I haven't had any spam here on MFP. I have had friend requests that don't seem to fit and I ignore them. :star:

Felicia: Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I am not a fan of sleeping medications. I saw how negative they were for my grandmother. They were a factor in her getting Alzheimers. Try Sleepytime Tea instead. (((HUGS)))

Michele: Steven Jobs is dead. He died several years ago. The newbies at Apple are responsible for this mess. :grumble:

Rori: Enjoy your trip with DH and your retirement!!! :heart:

I was interrupted before posting this, and am just now back. I know I haven't caught up with everyone. I'll be back again later.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Last night I rearranged my china cabinet ... moved all the dishes down a shelf. I am really surprised that the middle shelf in my china cabinet had not fallen down. They were a lot heavier that I realized when I first put them in it. It looks so much better and everything is dusted and washed and back inside it. I realized that it had had things thrown in it and it really needed my attention. Still have some things on top of it. But, sister will be proud that we only have the kitchen and utility/computer room to do. I have a hard time keeping the countertop cleaned off. Louis has helped so by clearing off Mimi's Hoosier Kitchen Cabinet ... but, I will have to tackle the inside.

I think I ended up with 9 or 10 sets of sheets. I still cannot remember which ones are queen-sized. Need to unfold flat sheets and hope they have a tag in them, definitely don't want to fight with the fitted sheets. I need to keep 2 sets - one on, one off ... that way I don't have to wash sheets the day I take them off. I've got extra pillowcase and no 2 match. But, we both sleep with a standard pillow and the king-sized pillows we don't use; or at least, Louis doesn't use them. Then one in the shams.

Louis cooks breakfast on the weekends, occasionally during the week. We both eat our heavier meal during the middle of the day, and we rarely eat a meal at night.

When I updated my computers, Windows 10 changed to Microsoft Edge and I had so many issues with it; but, finally one of my ITs was able to get my Outlook 2013 to work, so I was able to send and receive emails. Then, I started getting some 'bounced' by to me and finally called my ISP and found out it was on their end and they could not tell me when it would be fixed.

Sleeping, I was told by Margaret that I needed to turn off all electronics by 8:00pm and get into bed at 10:00pm. I thought I would have a problem of waking up too early. I did, for a couple of days; then, I slept 9 hours the first time I slept through the night and 8 1/2 the next night. For me, it has helped, even though I miss the 11:00pm news ... but it really isn't that much difference than the 6:00pm news - so I don't miss it. I did fall asleep during the AL and GA game; but, woke up before the 'overtime' win by AL. Boo Hiss! I was pulling for GA. Maybe next year, they have a 'young' team and hopefully, they will get better and better with time on their side.

Sorry that you had to put Pokey down. I know that was difficult for y'all. I have hated it when our fur babies have passed away. We've never had to 'put one down'. Hope we never do, they are like family to us.

Need to get to a 'stopping' point with my 'purging' so I can dust and vacuum the part of the house that is carpeted.

I have not exercised since I got out of the hospital. Just have not felt like it. I will get weighed on the 17th and maybe I will not have gained too much. Need to be drinking more water, too, because my kidney function is low. There again, I haven't been drinking enough. I even haven't been drinking more than 12 ounces of coffee. While in the hospital, they only had decaffeinated coffee. That is 'awful' and takes twice as much sugar to make it sweet enough to take that 'bite' away. So I drank water or cranberry juice.

Watching "Fixer Upper" and wondering if 'in the price to remodel the house' the people who are buying the house have a 'furniture allowance' build in. I'd want to have the furnishings they put in as well ... in all the houses they do. I have liked that Joanna has started using more color in the houses she is doing rather than the 'gray' that most of them have.

Lenora
  • langman22
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Penny: You will be missed. I look forward to you being with us regularly in the future. :star:

Heather: I've gone alcohol free because it was getting the better of me. I wasn't stopping with just one. I think it was messing with my ability to think clearly, too. Alcohol seems to be bad news all the way around for me. I already feel like my thinking and mood have improved. I hope the scale follows soon. :embarassed:

Terry in VT: I did knock on my neighbor's door and took her a miniature rose. Her guy thanked me for it and said she was sleeping. My heart goes out to both of them. :cry:

Janet: Here in our neighborhood there are several of us born in the same year and we call ourselves 49ers. There are a few older and one young family with children. :smiley:

judefit: I haven't had any spam here on MFP. I have had friend requests that don't seem to fit and I ignore them. :star:

Felicia: Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I am not a fan of sleeping medications. I saw how negative they were for my grandmother. They were a factor in her getting Alzheimers. Try Sleepytime Tea instead. (((HUGS)))

Michele: Steven Jobs is dead. He died several years ago. The newbies at Apple are responsible for this mess. :grumble:

Rori: Enjoy your trip with DH and your retirement!!! :heart:

I was interrupted before posting this, and am just now back. I know I haven't caught up with everyone. I'll be back again later.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Katla, so glad to hear you are getting the upper hand on the drinking and so glad you went to see your neighbor.
  • langman22
    Options
    Hi Sisters, you all might know that I have turmeric coffee and turmeric smoothies and turmeric on my eggs and in my rice...well, I heard on the radio this morning (hubby playing it loudly in kitchen-lol) that curcurmin, latest research is showing, has an anti-aging protective affect on the brain. It crosses the blood brain barrier. There are actually three types of curcurmin in Turmeric. I believe in taking the whole food for the synergetic affect rather than isolating it in a pill...then on the emails I get from Dr. Mercola, he wrote about Turmeric and said it has also been shown to help post-menapausal women with balancing of hormones... Here is an excerpt from his email:

A few years ago, I traveled over 15,000 miles to India to learn more about the herbs and spices that lie at the heart of Ayurveda. Ayurveda is India’s recognized authoritative source of knowledge and truth in holistic health promotion.

Of the many herbs and spices I studied, one that particularly caught my attention was turmeric. Turmeric is a spice that has been often labeled “The Spice of Life.”*

curcumin in turmeric - Spice of Life
    Turmeric has been used as a spice and in other variety of ways 1000s of years ago in many ancient cultures.
    Even though there may be some debate about the timing of turmeric's first use as a healthy spice, folklore has spawned many clues on when and how it was possibly used…

Thousands of years ago, people in India and China used turmeric in a variety of ways. Some stories suggest traditional use may date back more than 10,000 years ago in India.
    The ancient Polynesians carried turmeric with them on their incredible voyage across the Pacific Ocean to Hawaii. Today, Hawaiians still use this spice known to them as Olena.
    In addition to a number of health-promoting properties, many ancient cultures used turmeric as a dye and it was even worn as dried beads to ward off evil spirits.
    While in China, Marco Polo in 1280 AD recorded information on turmeric in his diary: "There is also a vegetable which has all the properties of true saffron, as well the smell and the color, and yet it is not really saffron."

So, turmeric has been used as a substitute for saffron (an old world spice) in Europe for over 700 years. And when it comes to curcumin in turmeric, western scientists first isolated the curcumin molecule in 1815, obtained its crystalline form in 1870, and determined its overall structure by the early 1900s.

How Curcumin Benefits Your Health in a Variety of Ways*
    The potential antioxidant benefits (described above) from curcumin are actually just the tip of the iceberg. Many studies have shown a variety of different ways that this spice can support your overall vitality.*

Curcumin…

Can assist gallbladder function*
    May help aid in minimizing oxidative stress*
    Supports postmenopausal health in women (along with exercise)*
    Plus, with this spice capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier, curcumin’s potential as a neuroprotective nutrient and supporter of overall brain health should not be overlooked.*

Hope you find this information useful, <3 Wendy

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Lurking....hugs!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Very sad evening for us yesterday as we had to put our Pokey girl down. She was suffering with heart disease and a collapsing trachea due to an enlarged heart. She provided us with 14 years of unconditional love and many wonderful memories to fill our hearts.

zaicmgb4m07o.jpg

Cheri
    in very foggy College Station, TX with a heavy heart today

I’m so sorry, my heart hurts for you