Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Hey Sharon, Welcome to the group! I think it would be amazing to hike the AT!!!!

NYKAREN
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    ryenday wrote: »

I am officially trying to find my maintenance calories. In 2017 I was tracking for approximately 39 weeks. I lost 40 pounds (but that includes the start a diet woosh of 12 pounds). MFP tells me I averaged 1197 calories. This is very discouraging since my exercising isn’t represented there (— no additional calories no matter what my weekly exercise regime). These numbers tell me that I can eat about 1250 calories a day + something (considerably less than Apple Watch estimates) for exercise.

These pitiful numbers ( sorry there is no way for me to be satisfied on 1250 calories) are one of the reasons I am trying the fast this week. At these calorie rates I can never have a gyro or serving if my husband’s King Ranch Caserole ever again unless I eat nothing else at all that day. Grump Grump. Yeah I’ll probably get a couple hundred extra calories a day from exercising but My average week is walk 5-10 miles, swim 2-3 miles, strength 2x a week, HIIT 3x a week and some irregular miscellaneous rebounder, hula hoop and dance. That is still a pittance caloriewise for all that. And I don’t see any increase in that because frankly I hate it all. If my health didn’t demand it I wouldn’t be doing any of it. Grump Grump.

Ah well. This is the hand I’ve been dealt and have to make the best I can. Sorry folk, I’m probably just tired.

Everyone take care

Rye

I am with you, sister. I have to admit that I do get a little depressed about it, at times, but I can't change it, so it is what it is. Being more active does help, but really, you can only do so much, and I burn only about 70 calories for every mile walked. That's like a small apple. :unamused:

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Rye ~ I think it's time to say NO to all those asking you to fill in. Or, the facility needs to hire more who can help.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    Cathy WOW!!!
  • HandiCrafter
    HandiCrafter Posts: 56 Member
    Just Checking in
    <3
    Martha in Eastern Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    Barbie Wow! You still have your wisdom teeth! That is amazing! No wonder you have a tough time at the dentist and have to go so frequently.
    I never had any wisdom teeth. Although the way my bottom teeth have been crowding over the past couple years, I wonder about it, but x-rays still show nothing there.

Felicia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited January 2018
    Cathy - you are looking fantastic! And only 10 lbs to go! Of course, that's the hardest and longest ten pounds (mine took me ages), but you have to keep reminding yourself you already look great! :D

This is a constant struggle for the rest of our lives. No parole for good behaviour. :( Luckily, after many years of saying I hated exercise, I now find I quite enjoy it and feel very cheated when I can't do it because of other commitments. I hope my son and girlfriend will be up to at least a walk tomorrow, but our lanes are rather waterlogged. I'm running/walking to the big puddles and back again. :o

Lanette - Haven't heard how she is doing. I'm assuming no news is good news.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Cathy you look simply fantastic! You impress me so much!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,040 Member

• loumoon5
    loumoon5 Posts: 31 Member
    Sharron
    Hiking the entire Appalachian trail is ambitious even for an experienced hiker. How many trips do you think it will take?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    ryenday wrote: »

I am officially trying to find my maintenance calories. In 2017 I was tracking for approximately 39 weeks. I lost 40 pounds (but that includes the start a diet woosh of 12 pounds). MFP tells me I averaged 1197 calories. This is very discouraging since my exercising isn’t represented there (— no additional calories no matter what my weekly exercise regime). These numbers tell me that I can eat about 1250 calories a day + something (considerably less than Apple Watch estimates) for exercise.

These pitiful numbers ( sorry there is no way for me to be satisfied on 1250 calories) are one of the reasons I am trying the fast this week. At these calorie rates I can never have a gyro or serving if my husband’s King Ranch Caserole ever again unless I eat nothing else at all that day. Grump Grump. Yeah I’ll probably get a couple hundred extra calories a day from exercising but My average week is walk 5-10 miles, swim 2-3 miles, strength 2x a week, HIIT 3x a week and some irregular miscellaneous rebounder, hula hoop and dance. That is still a pittance caloriewise for all that. And I don’t see any increase in that because frankly I hate it all. If my health didn’t demand it I wouldn’t be doing any of it. Grump Grump.

Ah well. This is the hand I’ve been dealt and have to make the best I can. Sorry folk, I’m probably just tired.

Everyone take care

Rye

I am with you, sister. I have to admit that I do get a little depressed about it, at times, but I can't change it, so it is what it is. Being more active does help, but really, you can only do so much, and I burn only about 70 calories for every mile walked. That's like a small apple. :unamused:

Felicia

Yup! Lol, Apple Watch gave me 89 calories for my mile and a half walk to work today (typical burn for that walk). 3mph is as fast as the watch records me but with short legs that is literally as fast as my legs can move me unless I’m running :).

Swim gives more calories for 1/2 hour, about 180 per 1/2 hour. Unfortunately when you add the changing and shower time to swim it is still more efficient to walk unless I’m swimming for more than an hour.

My swims net me a serving of unsweetened oatmeal AND a small apple!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Cathy, Arlington,TX -wow look at you girl. Great job and thanks for sharing. <3

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,468 Member
    Did Jari Love Extremely Ripped Hardcore DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the deep water class.

M - insist, and I do mean make a pain of yourself, to get a BDT. I fractued my ankle and I knew something wasn't right, I just wasn't sure what. I asked my MD for a BDT, she kept saying "we don't recommend it for someone who hasn't gone thru menopause". I kept after her and after her. To be honest, I think she ordered the test more to shut me up than anything else. Was she ever surprised when it came back that I had osteoporosis! So make a pain of yourself, but get the test!

Joyce - I remember we had a Newcomer meeting at this restaurant. The menu on line only showed this one item (I don't remember what it was). But when I got there they also had a bean burger. Wish I'd gotten that instead, but my mind was made up. Oh well...live and learn

j - welcome! what sort of activity did you do when you were an athlete?

As far as dentists - last time I went for a cleaning it was this new girl. she used some sort of rays that took the placq off. Didn't hurt at all.

barbie - when I had my wisdom teeth, I still only went for a cleaning 1/year

djcook - welcome back!

Cathy - awsome pics! I wish I was that weight What a transformation!

Rye - I haven't done hula hoop in quite a while. Whenever I did it, my knees for some reason bothered me the next day.

katla - when Jess does dog sitting, for a new dog she always insists on a "meet and greet"

Allison - you might want to keep copies of the POA with you to show MD offices that you really do have it. Then they can keep that copy on file.

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Cathy ~ Great job! I am 5'1-1/2" and can attest that being short and older is difficult to lose weight.