WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Today I ran the Cadbury 10K!! :):)

It's quite the event ... the marathon runners are set off at 6 am, and the half-marathon follow them at 6:30 am. There's a little break to allow some of those runners to come in, then the 5K runners were set off at 8:45 and me and my fellow 10K runners at 9:45.

I got there (taxi + shuttle bus) at about 8:20, just in time for the first marathon runner to come across the finish line at 8:24.

And moments later, I came across my work partner! He and I have known each other for 4.5 years, but have only become work partners in the last few months so although I knew that he and his wife ran, I didn't realise how involved they were. She ran the 10K too (much faster than me), and he was there doing photography for the club they are members of and also the Cadbury organisers. So it was nice to have someone there I knew. Another coworker was running the half, but I think she was finished by the time I got there ... she had a fast run.

Then the 10Ks were off! It was a good run. I kept to my slow pace and felt really comfortable. Except for one thing which I'll mention in a minute. I even had enough at the end to give an extra push for the last couple hundred metres. :)

There were a number of people around who were friendly, and we kept leap-frogging each other. And one other participant in the 10K was a lady who is hoping for an Olympic spot ... I was barely past the 1K point, when she was coming the other way, heading for the finish line!! Does she ever look fit and muscular!

As for the one thing I struggled with ... and I struggle with this on all my runs over 8 km (all 3 of them) ... my left foot goes numb. Like totally asleep as if I'm sitting on my leg. Really weird. I wear my shoes slightly loose, and even stopped at one point to loosen my shoe even more, but I had a numb left foot most of the way.

Despite that, I finished in 1:16:45 ... toward the back of the pack, but not dead last.

I was handed my bag with my medal, a bottle of water, and chocolate ... it is the Cadbury Run after all at the finish line, and then my work partner took me over to the booth his club had set up because they had chocolate cake!! :grin:

Machka in Oz

congrats on your 10k
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lanette: for your purposes I think a 16:8 type of fast might be what I would try.

Intermittent Fasting I personally turned to intermittent fasting out of desperation. My body tells me that 1250 to 1400 cal or more than enough to maintain my weight. My stomach, however, tells me that that is not enough food and sent constant hunger pains and headaches. My mind agreed with my stomach – that is not enough food. So I turned to intermittent fasting to try to make my limited calorie allotment feel like it was more food.

16:8 IF helped. Pick an 8 hour period and only eat during that window. I chose noon to 8pm. I ate lunch and dinner. Because I was skipping breakfast, I felt like I had more calories to play with. Because I had a flat cut off stop eating at 8 PM rule – I was able to eliminate snacking late at night.

When it was clear my schedule was going to make 16:8 IF impossible for me I looked at 5:2 IF. Turns out for my purposes (stretching the limited calories to make me feel like I could enjoy a good meal and not eat like a rabbit all the time) this was ideal. Two days (I choose Tuesday/Thursday with Sunday as a backup plan) a week I eat 500-600 calories. Generally home made soups and frozen veggies. The other five days I have about 2 to 300 more calories each day to play with. And since I never went back to eating breakfast, I can actually have a very satisfying dinner most days. Or if we have a party or social occasion planned, I can try to eat lighter most of the week and have a significant amount of calories for party food and drink. I have two important rules that I follow. One) I do not eat any calories I have not earned and are still available from the previous seven days. Two) (while Losing) - use ‘em or lose em. If the calories were not used within seven days, the window to use them was closed forever.

Why I like IF: my personality works with the ‘you can’t eat this NOW, because your eating window is closed. You can have it tomorrow. It just mentally ‘clicks’ for me. It also makes it easier to turn down the unexpected treats (IMO).

Rye
    - thank you for the fasting info! That 16:8 is one that I believe Dr. Mercola suggests - I have thought about it, I just never had anyone explain it so well. I'm going to copy and paste your plan!!

I think Mary only eats during a window as well. Mary? Where are you??? And she also looks fabulous like you do. Any time you want compliments on your 30 year old figure, we are here for you! B) Seriously, I'm sure you are around plenty of gals half your age that wished they looked half as good as you do.

Regarding your eye, I sure can't tell anything different. They are both warm and lovely.

Well, we just plugged in the new Keurig... the old one finally gave up the ghost after 7 years. The new one looks just like the old one but seems like it's a bit flimsier. Sigh.

I am loving this decluttering discussion. Project for today - taking extra sheets and blankets out of the linen closet and putting them in space bags. EDIT - and I'll date the bags - if I haven't used them in a year, they will be easy to take to the charity shop!

Ok ladies, seize the day!

Lanette
    Foggy SW WA State
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lanette: for your purposes I think a 16:8 type of fast might be what I would try.

Intermittent Fasting I personally turned to intermittent fasting out of desperation. My body tells me that 1250 to 1400 cal or more than enough to maintain my weight. My stomach, however, tells me that that is not enough food and sent constant hunger pains and headaches. My mind agreed with my stomach – that is not enough food. So I turned to intermittent fasting to try to make my limited calorie allotment feel like it was more food.

16:8 IF helped. Pick an 8 hour period and only eat during that window. I chose noon to 8pm. I ate lunch and dinner. Because I was skipping breakfast, I felt like I had more calories to play with. Because I had a flat cut off stop eating at 8 PM rule – I was able to eliminate snacking late at night.

When it was clear my schedule was going to make 16:8 IF impossible for me I looked at 5:2 IF. Turns out for my purposes (stretching the limited calories to make me feel like I could enjoy a good meal and not eat like a rabbit all the time) this was ideal. Two days (I choose Tuesday/Thursday with Sunday as a backup plan) a week I eat 500-600 calories. Generally home made soups and frozen veggies. The other five days I have about 2 to 300 more calories each day to play with. And since I never went back to eating breakfast, I can actually have a very satisfying dinner most days. Or if we have a party or social occasion planned, I can try to eat lighter most of the week and have a significant amount of calories for party food and drink. I have two important rules that I follow. One) I do not eat any calories I have not earned and are still available from the previous seven days. Two) (while Losing) - use ‘em or lose em. If the calories were not used within seven days, the window to use them was closed forever.

Why I like IF: my personality works with the ‘you can’t eat this NOW, because your eating window is closed. You can have it tomorrow. It just mentally ‘clicks’ for me. It also makes it easier to turn down the unexpected treats (IMO).

Rye
    - thank you for the fasting info! That 16:8 is one that I believe Dr. Mercola suggests - I have thought about it, I just never had anyone explain it so well. I'm going to copy and paste your plan!!

I think Mary only eats during a window as well. Mary? Where are you??? And she also looks fabulous like you do. Any time you want comments on your 30 year old figure, we are here for you! B) Seriously, I'm sure you are around plenty of gals half your age that wished they looked half as good as you do.

Regarding your eye, I sure can't tell anything different. They are both warm and lovely.

Well, we just plugged in the new Keurig... the old one finally gave up the ghost after 7 years. The new one looks just like the old one but seems like it's a bit flimsier. Sigh.

I am loving this decluttering discussion. Project for today - taking extra sheets and blankets out of the linen closet and putting them in space bags.

Ok ladies, seize the day!

Lanette
    Foggy SW WA State

If you 16:8 a great tip is to brush your teeth when your eating window closes. Makes it easier NOT to go for a snack somehow.

I’m going to take inspiration from y’all. I’m going to eliminate about 5 sets of queen size sheets I still have for some unknown reason. (We don’t have a queen size bed anymore) today! Step one in mission declutter! (I will keep one set, one we got as a wedding gift - it is the only set with a memory attached.)
  • HandiCrafter
    HandiCrafter Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Rye - legitimately did not notice in the photo at all. Went back and looked, and still didn't see what you see. You look amazing, and in no way Mad Eye Moody-ish at all.

Interesting Sunday. Still processing.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Carol - After Louis gets his 10-pointer mounter we will have 8 deer on the wall (1 6-point; 6 9-pointers, and then his 10-pointer. We have 2 European mount (which is only the skull and rack. We have 5 ducks, 1 turkey, a bobcat, and 3 skulls - one a boar hog, a small deer (maybe), it is just the upper portion, and what looks like a fox. We've had several decorators over the years to come out here after I bought furniture at one of the places in Albany. The first thing they want me to do is 'get rid' of all the animals. One even suggested painting the "Pecky Cypress" paneling we have in the den and dining room (it is really a great room). I quickly show them the door. I saw what it would have looked like if painted, it is awful looking. This is a part of my husband's and sons' live (hunting) and they go with the décor of the house. I also have 3 paintings/prints of a deer and ducks. Louis got the paintings/prints as partial payment for painting the artist's shop and home.

As for decluttering, my oldest sister is helping me. I know I could not do it myself and doing it has helped me feel better. I knew I needed to get rid of a lot of things and it was overwhelming. The kitchen is something I just won't be able to do on my own. The filing cabinet drawers will be something I have to do a few folders at a time. I am a cooking book junkie. I know if I took only the recipes I use and the recipes I am pretty sure I would try, I probably could get most of them in 1 or 2 binders. But, again, that will take some time. But, I did straighten the bookshelf I keep them on. Some of the stuff on the bottom shelve just needs to be thrown out. I need to clean off Mimi kitchen cabinet and put a few of my flamingo collection up there. I have 2 sets of glass and pottery measuring pitchers and I am not about to give any of those away. Louis cleared off most of the area where he puts his stuff; and, I went in and straightened it further, got to clear out the part behind the doors.

Tackled my computer area yesterday and the day before. I threw away a lot of paper for the burn pile. Two other bags of non-burnable stuff. Bookshelf in den, took off all art books and put the on the porch. Want Louis to move the baker's rack out on the deck near to the swing. Then I want him to hang shelves on the wall it is where the baker's rack is in graduating widths.

Oh, about the dentures. Louis really wishes now that he had not had his teeth pulled and had the posts done instead. But, we have a lot of funny experiences with them. He wraps them up in a napkin when he gets inside; and on two different occasion is as many weeks, he dropped them on they went skittering across the floor. Our son was 'so embarrassed' but Louis just made a big joke out of it. I hope I have not already typed this story.

I do have some glassware that is not 'fine' glassware and I will be getting rid of it (donating to Goodwill). I want to sell my pressure cooker (with a cookbook) ... I just don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Also a dozen heavy glass beer mugs. I might try to see if the Restaurant supply store will let me trade them in on a dozen lighter mugs. We used them, so I do need to replace them with more mugs. All my pots and pans are hung up on a rack and I use them all depending on what I am cooking. Will took it upon himself to take the pot that I used to cook rice in ... that is the 'only' pot he uses to cook his rice. He also took one of my favorite pictures - trading it for another one that I painted that is 'huge'.

His room (2nd bedroom) is paneled horizontally and it is dark in there. I want to ask Louis if the walls could be sanded and white-wash the paneling ... he probably will tell me 'no'; but, I won't know unless I ask. I also want him to paint the kitchen cabinets. He has agreed to do that for me. Lighter on top, darker on bottom. Just need to pick out a color. I would 'like' to have the countertops replaced; but, we will have to see how much that will cost and save up for it.

We got to replace a lot of lightbulbs in our house. Seems like they all burn out at the same time. He needs to replace the lights in the carport.

The talk about eating rice has made me want to cook up a bowl of eat. I like cheese in mine and some hot sauce or salsa.

Well, that is going to be all I have to post today. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Lenora
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Rye, I didn't notice anything resembling Mad Eye Moody either, and even after I went back and really studied the photo for a few minutes, I didn't see anything remotely weird. You may not see it, but trust me, you look good!! Well, trust all of us, we are your mirrors!
    Hubby's b-day today. Thank heavens Facebook reminded me! I had totally forgotten! I will have to stop at the grocery store and pick up a small cake for him, and maybe a nice steak for us to share. Bought a rib eye steak a few weeks ago, it was quite big, neither of us would have been able to eat it all, so I just cut it in half, and it really was a perfect amount of food! And so tasty - yum! Yup, I think I've talked myself into that! lol
    Work is quiet today, but that's alright, I guess, need the quiet days to make the busy ones more bearable. Just need to find things to do. Must clean something! lol Have a good one!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I got my tv in the bedroom working, thank goodness.. fed my DFIL and he had the ladies that work there hysterical because he was talking about Ovaries,Oh sweet lord, .. then from there went to walmart and CVS , and then went to my dads and burned some papers...
    then came home... and had some early dinner, and will watch a bit of t.v. and then go to bed, get up early so I can get to work on time...
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

Apple Watch only
    Apple Watch only
    fl exercises- 40min, 3sets of 10ea, 20diff exercises= 260c
    other- various machines w/kirby- 25.06min= 118c
    378cal