• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Well done, Rita! :D Keep on keeping on.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Katla - regarding Broken Brain, check it out here: www.brokenbrain.com It is a docuseries streaming on the internet, at least that's how I'll watch it- I don't believe it's on TV.

Rita
    - good for you! I would love to walk with you in the desert for a bit. I need sun!!

Sharon
    - Harmony's cake is fabulous. She's a sweetie. I loved your description of the mountains - they have to be breathtaking.

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Patceoh: Thanks for the information about bacteria coming into the house on shoes

Katla,it was Lanette who sent the original Alzheimer’s info.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Caught up on reading. Not much to say. Later,
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Meggie welcome.

Katla I looked up The Broken Brain on Google. You can watch it for free. I watched episode 1 which was more of an overview and testimonials. Their approach is called functional medicine which is a whole person approach. I plan to watch episode 2 today on the gut. There are a total of 8 episodes.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Kkkkk
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Here in New Zealand it is considered very bad manners to wear shoes inside. They are left at the door. You will often see boots left outside shop doors. Gumboots (black rubber boots) are very common here for all us country folk who wade around in mud all winter and spring and they are easy to slip off by the door before you go inside. Having an enclosed porch on the house where you keep all your boots and coats is the norm.

I've never heard of "overexercise" leading to weight gain, unless it is triggering out of control appetite. For me it's always eating that leads to weight gain, or hormones that make me retain water. I don't believe in the calorie in calorie out theory. I believe in the Hormones and Metabolism theory as well as homeostasis. I have experimented with keto but have decided it is not for me. I do fast although there are times I can eat NOTHING and not lose an ounce. I think what works best for me is to boost my metabolism so that it is constantly burning more calories even when I'm sitting at my desk. If I do short bursts of exercise constantly throughout the day, I keep bumping up my heart rate. There are also foods that raise your metabolism like cinnamon and hot peppers. I would far rather focus on moving more than eating less. But I know that I have to do both to see a big difference in my weight. I like to focus on building my muscle, as I know that makes my metabolism burn more calories, makes my body tighter and stronger and protects my back. I also think it's really important to keep my hormone levels up and I take Go-Meno free, an herbal combo, as well as Dong Quai and a progesterone cream and drink organic soy milk and add rosemary to my foods. And take turmeric. Fasting is so good for you on so many levels that I make sure I do that often, just to give my body a chance to clear out toxins.

A lot of the exercise I do is just built into my life on a farm with animals to feed, horses to ride and train and groom, a big garden to weed, lots of wheelbarrow jobs (putting down shellrock onto paths and to stop weeds from growing, and cleaning manure out of paddocks and taking heavy bags of grain uphill to the barn!) carrying water buckets, cutting back overgrown bushes, planting new areas, wheelbarrowing prunings and weeds to the compost pile at the far end of the garden. Then there is the bee keeping and moving heavy boxes and carrying frames from the back paddocks up to my queen making room. I am never at a loss for a practical reason to move my body. And on top of that I love to hike in the forest with my dogs, or go for a run and get those endorphins pumping through my body. I love feeling like I am on Happy Fire.

If i lived in the city, worked in an office 9 to 5 and had no animals or garden I would probably be as big as a house because I would feel so stressed out if I couldn't move lots, and I am a stress eater. My comfort foods are chocolate, icecream, milkshakes and wine. (I do work in an office three days a week but even there I take breaks and walk down to the bank and post office, or park and walk in and out to my car, and take a dog with me so I can take it for a walk the minute I'm done with the accounts.)

Got a full day planned. <3 to you all, Wendy

Over exercise can lead to inflammation which means retaining water, the same as too much salt can cause water retention
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    Here in New Zealand it is considered very bad manners to wear shoes inside. They are left at the door. You will often see boots left outside shop doors. Gumboots (black rubber boots) are very common here for all us country folk who wade around in mud all winter and spring and they are easy to slip off by the door before you go inside. Having an enclosed porch on the house where you keep all your boots and coats is the norm.

I've never heard of "overexercise" leading to weight gain, unless it is triggering out of control appetite. For me it's always eating that leads to weight gain, or hormones that make me retain water. I don't believe in the calorie in calorie out theory. I believe in the Hormones and Metabolism theory as well as homeostasis. I have experimented with keto but have decided it is not for me. I do fast although there are times I can eat NOTHING and not lose an ounce. I think what works best for me is to boost my metabolism so that it is constantly burning more calories even when I'm sitting at my desk. If I do short bursts of exercise constantly throughout the day, I keep bumping up my heart rate. There are also foods that raise your metabolism like cinnamon and hot peppers. I would far rather focus on moving more than eating less. But I know that I have to do both to see a big difference in my weight. I like to focus on building my muscle, as I know that makes my metabolism burn more calories, makes my body tighter and stronger and protects my back. I also think it's really important to keep my hormone levels up and I take Go-Meno free, an herbal combo, as well as Dong Quai and a progesterone cream and drink organic soy milk and add rosemary to my foods. And take turmeric. Fasting is so good for you on so many levels that I make sure I do that often, just to give my body a chance to clear out toxins.

A lot of the exercise I do is just built into my life on a farm with animals to feed, horses to ride and train and groom, a big garden to weed, lots of wheelbarrow jobs (putting down shellrock onto paths and to stop weeds from growing, and cleaning manure out of paddocks and taking heavy bags of grain uphill to the barn!) carrying water buckets, cutting back overgrown bushes, planting new areas, wheelbarrowing prunings and weeds to the compost pile at the far end of the garden. Then there is the bee keeping and moving heavy boxes and carrying frames from the back paddocks up to my queen making room. I am never at a loss for a practical reason to move my body. And on top of that I love to hike in the forest with my dogs, or go for a run and get those endorphins pumping through my body. I love feeling like I am on Happy Fire.

If i lived in the city, worked in an office 9 to 5 and had no animals or garden I would probably be as big as a house because I would feel so stressed out if I couldn't move lots, and I am a stress eater. My comfort foods are chocolate, icecream, milkshakes and wine. (I do work in an office three days a week but even there I take breaks and walk down to the bank and post office, or park and walk in and out to my car, and take a dog with me so I can take it for a walk the minute I'm done with the accounts.)

Got a full day planned. <3 to you all, Wendy

Over exercise can lead to inflammation which means retaining water, the same as too much salt can cause water retention

Yep ... happens to me after every long bicycle ride. Up 1-2 kg until about Wednesday ... then pee like a horse all day. And Thursday I 'm back to normal.

It has happened after my run on Sunday too.

But it doesn't happen after short or light amounts of exercise.

It's very common. I frequent cycling forums and it's talked about there. I've also heard bodybuilders talk about it.

M in Oz