WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    That's good to know. I don't think I get too much inflammation from my large amounts of exercise maybe because i take turmeric daily and maybe because my body is just used to being used all the time. Use it or lose it. <3 Wendy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That's good to know. I don't think I get too much inflammation from my large amounts of exercise maybe because i take turmeric daily and maybe because my body is just used to being used all the time. Use it or lose it. <3 Wendy

If I'm really fit it doesn't happen until I do something like cycle a double century (320 km /200 miles). If I'm less fit it might happen after a 100 km (60 mile) ride. And even less fit it might happen after something as short as a 50 km (30 mile) ride.

It's one of the ways I can determine my fitness level. :smile:

Or sometimes it will happen if I do something different like go for a strenuous 12 km hike or run 10 km or put in a particularly heavy weights workout.

But it doesn't happen after just ordinary every day stuff.

I'll also add that hydration and electrolytes play a part in this too. Get the balance right and a person might only gain a very small amount after long and strenuous exercise. Get it wrong and you can see some wild fluctuations.

Other factors like heat and sunburn can play a part too.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    stats for the day;

Apple Watch only:
    0 runner- 60min, 41al, 12ah, 114ac, 9.32min mi,j, 6.34mi= 448c
    floor exercises- 20min, 2sets of 10ea, 16different ever= 137c.
    Rowing machine- 20min, 65aw, 3421meters= 153c
    arm ski machine- 10min, 45aw, 1519meters= 83c

total cal 821
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Shoes in the house, my mom had inside shoes and outside shoes. We usually take our shoes off, but if I'm bringing stuff in from the car I will keep them on for that. We do have a garage, with a rug in front of the inside door, so I do wipe my feet, but when the last of the stuff is in, it's off with the shoes and on with the slippers. I find my slippers much more comfortable than shoes!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Seems how we view ourselves is different from how others view us. Not sure if I have already told you this. The first date I had with DH was to dinner and a movie. I’ve always been self conscious of my large butt so when I got up to use the restroom at the movies I had to scoot past the seats to get out. My only thought was how big my butt must look and that I probably wouldn’t have a second date. Obviously we did have that second date. After we had been together for a number of years we were talking about that first date and I shared how I felt when I got up to go to the bathroom. My DH said that was funny as he was thinking “what a great looking *kitten*”. Taught me to never think you know what others are thinking.
    Terry I’m VT

Ha! Terry - When I saw my now-ex-husband for the first time, I was about a size 10, and honestly the hottest I ever was, before or since. I asked him at a later point what he was thinking when he saw me. He said that he thought, as I was walking toward him, that I looked hot, but as I walked past him, he thought, "Naw, her butt's too big." I gained another 180 pounds after we married, so it ended up being a prediction, I'm thinking...

Please note, I realized long after I left him that he was the master of the hurtful... I asked him once what he thought of my new haircut, which I'd gotten for an upcoming interview. He said he didn't know why I'd "get a Burger King haircut to interview for a $50,000 a year job."

The current and final husband tells me I'm beautiful, even when I feel at my worst. I think I'll keep him.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in NC

I totally get how you feel. I always thought if my ex ever said I looked good my answer would be “I always dad, you just weren’t man enough to know it “. Of course he has never told me that and I never expected him to. I’m like you and have a husband that no matter what size I am he still thinks “great *kitten*”.
  • evie1958
    Options
    Kim, hugs for you and your mom. I lost my bestie very young, she was only 46. I still miss her (13 years in March). I hope your mom will keep up with at least one bridge group, interacting with others is so important for our mental health. Humans are pack animals! lol
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Meggie welcome.

Katla I looked up The Broken Brain on Google. You can watch it for free. I watched episode 1 which was more of an overview and testimonials. Their approach is called functional medicine which is a whole person approach. I plan to watch episode 2 today on the gut. There are a total of 8 episodes.

Margaret - I too watched episode 1 today - nice we don't have to wait until the 17th and get a head start. Let us know how you like episode 2!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • HandiCrafter
    HandiCrafter Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of a Tone Trouble Zones DVD, held my plank for 2 min 53sec. then took the extremepump class.

ThaiKaren - feel better fast. I feel for ya. I hate when my sciatica acts up.

Barbara - the donuts turned out quite well I thought. And the best part is that Vince never said a word about the pumpkin in them. The pumpkin kept them moist. Here's the recipe:

1/6th of recipe (1 donut): 167 calories, 1.5g fat, 281mg sodium, 35.5g carbs, 0.5g fiber, 23.5g sugars, 2g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Prep: 15 minutes
    Cook: 15 minutes
    Cool: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
    Donuts
    1 1/4 cups moist-style yellow cake mix (a little less than half a box)
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
    1/2 tsp. maple extract

Glaze
    1/3 cup powdered sugar (not packed)
    1 1/2 tbsp. lite pancake syrup
    1 tbsp. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, light vanilla soymilk, or fat-free dairy milk
    1/8 tsp. maple extract
    Dash salt

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 6-cavity standard donut pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine donut ingredients. Add 1/4 cup water, and mix until completely smooth and uniform. Evenly distribute batter into the rings of the donut pan, and smooth out the tops. (See HG Tip.)

Bake until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out mostly clean, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a cooling rack over a baking sheet.

Let donuts cool completely, about 10 minutes in the pan and 15 minutes on the cooling rack.

In a medium bowl, combine glaze ingredients, and whisk until smooth and uniform.

One at a time, dunk the tops of the donuts into the glaze, coating the top halves.

Return to the cooling rack, and allow glaze to set, about 10 minutes. (Excess glaze will run off; that's why you've got the rack over that baking sheet.)

MAKES 6 SERVINGS

HG Tip: To make your donuts look extra beautiful, fill the donut cavities using a DIY piping bag. Just transfer the batter to a plastic bag, and squeeze it down toward a bottom corner. Snip off that corner with scissors, creating a small hole for piping. Ta-da!

My osteoporosis isn't real bad, at least I don't think so. The last time I had my BDT the results came back that I had osteopenia. Now was this a mistake on the part of the technician? I don't know, could be. I've been osteoporatic for a long time. Vince says "oh the medicine is catching up with you" but I prefer to believe that it's a combination of the medicine and my exercise. When you take the pill that you swallow, it has to go thru the intestines etc. With the injectable one, it gets directly into the bloodstream. That's probably the biggest difference. Then there's the one that is a bone builder. But you have to inject yourself with the stuff every day. Don't know if I can do that.

Drive safely..and don't buy too much. I love TJ's. Every time I go in there I say "thank you god for letting them accept Master Card"

Sharon - Harmony is so lovely. And what a beautiful cake

M - here I thought the "spinning to stretch out" meant you were physically spinning around. LOL Stupid me. Figured it might be a different way to stretch out. I'm still laughing at myself

meggiesroad - welcome! You've come to a great place

This gal is making a dinner of shrimp/avacado/grapefruit. Should be good. She asked me to bring pineapple for dessert. I thought another gal said she'd bring dessert but the gal who is making the dinner didn't hear it (or maybe didn't want to?). She's also making onion soup. I've never had onion soup. I'll give it a try but something tells me that I'm not going to be keen on it. Afterwards we'll play mahjongg. Any pineapple I have left over we can use for Rummikub tomorrow. I've already made this chocolate cake that Vince keeps drooling over...lol And I have some spanikopita in the freezer that I'll make. That's enough Update: the onion soup was good, but not something that I'd probably order in a restaurant. The other gal did bring a dessert (a cherry cheesecake pie)

In Switzerland they have special slippers for you to wear. I remember my girlfriend sending me a pair.

Cinnamon - welcome.

Shoes - I have inserts for my slippers since slippers don't offer much support. At least I get a little support.

Kim - I'm sorry for your mother. My father got the same way....all his family and his friends were gone. He kept saying "there's no one to come to my funeral"

Terry - YEAAA for you. Ten minutes is a start, you're on your way now!

Went and had dinner at this one gal's place then played mahjongg. In a way, I was a bit disappointed. I guess I was expecting a full dinner, not just a salad. Oh well....

Michele in NC
  • evie1958
    Options
    Rye, AWESOME!!!
    Terry, good for you for getting back to exercising! Doesn't matter that it was only 10 min, that you did 10 min is what's important!
    Michele in NC, did I miss something in your recipe? I didn't see pumpkin anywhere.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    RYe, Woo HOO! Might be your second career tapping you on the shoulder...