WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Kim that happened to my mom too. She lived to age 98. I know it was hard on her. I have lost two friends now plus my sister and both parents. It is never easy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Your link worked and I'm so grateful to have been able to watch. I've signed up for future programs from them. THANK YOU!!!
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    When I can't sleet because my mind is whizzing, I have a notebook by my bed and I write my thoughts down. Seems once they are down I don't have to think about them because they are stored in the notebook where they will be there for me when I wake up. I've also heard of people who have worry jars and write down their worries and put them in the jar. We each have to find a way that works for them.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT today. The original plan for tomorrow was to take the deep water class, but they're calling for snow and when it's even called for everything shuts down so I will probably do Denise Austin's Quick Burn Cardio DVD that I was going to do Friday and go to the Friday deep water class.

After exercising went to the other gym. It IS nice. I do think I'll go there, if worse comes to worse I can always go back to the Y. Cleaned some for Rummikub tonight. Want to vacuum later today. Really, need to.

Rye - great for you being able to help that guy at the gym!

Evelyn - so sorry, I must have copied the wrong recipe. Here is the one with the pumpkin in it:

Prep: 10 minutes
    Cook: 15 minutes
    Cool: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
    Donuts
    1 1/4 cups moist-style devil's food cake mix (a little less than half a box)
    1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
    1/4 cup egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute

Glaze
    1/2 cup powdered sugar (not packed)
    1 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, light vanilla soymilk, or fat-free dairy milk
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash salt

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 6-cavity standard donut pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin, and egg whites/substitute. Add 1/4 cup water, and mix until completely smooth and uniform. Evenly distribute batter into the rings of the donut pan, and smooth out the tops. (See HG Tip.)

Bake until a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out mostly clean, about 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a cooling rack over a baking sheet.

Let donuts cool completely, about 10 minutes in the pan and 15 minutes on the cooling rack.

In a medium bowl, combine glaze ingredients, and whisk until smooth and uniform.

One at a time, dunk the tops of the donuts into the glaze, coating the top halves. Return to the cooling rack, and allow glaze to set, about 10 minutes. (Glaze will run off; that's why you've got the rack over that baking sheet.)

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
    Serving Size: 1 donut (1/6th of recipe)
    Calories: 182
    Fat: 2.5g
    Sodium: 337mg
    Carbs: 38g
    Fiber: 2g
    Sugars: 24.5g
    Protein: 3g

PointsPlus® value 5*
    HG Tip: To make your donuts look extra beautiful, fill the donut cavities using a DIY piping bag. Just transfer the batter to a plastic bag, and squeeze it down toward a bottom corner. Snip off that corner with scissors, creating a small hole for piping. Ta-da!

I think my sinuses were going to start acting up so to prevent it, I took a Sudafed last night. Sure enough, I was awake around 3. So I just went to the gym early

Rye - I probably would have mistaken you for a personal trainer, too.

Helped Vince finish putting away all the Christmas decorations except for the trees.

Lisa - please be careful

Lanette - so sorry for you and your hubby Glad he's working on stopping smoking

Rita - hope you feel better soon

Rummikub tonight. One gal has said she wasn't coming because she overbooked. Personally, I think something better came along. Another gal cancelled because she was tired and didn't feel well. Another gal cancelled because of "the weather" (it isn't supposed to start snowing until midnight). Oh well....so far there will be 4 of us. The others will just miss out.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Terry - I also find it helpful to write my worries down. :) I also write down things I need to remember the next day if they are on my mind. If I really can't sleep, a good book is the only solution. I take myself off to the spare room.

We have a house viewing for Thursday at 11 am. Not a good time for us as we will have to rush to finish our exercises, tidy and clean up, put face on and get out of the house. We are normally writing at that time of day. :( However, we will just have to get on with it. I think we will drive over to the nearby town where we can buy our refill for the soda stream and buy some cheap champagne from Lidl. Hope it's not pouring with rain.
    I just hope the viewers are serious.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: Your link worked and I'm so grateful to have been able to watch. I've signed up for future programs from them. THANK YOU!!!

Katla - I'm glad the link worked.

Margaret - thank you for your input about this series. I'm hoping they'll cover some things I can add to my diet/day which will be a step in the right direction. I like alternative methods as long as they aren't too way-out and are doable for me. If they advise coffee enema's, I will pass on that one. I like my coffee intake the old-fashioned way, lol.

Terry
    - I don't read when I go to bed, but I am in the habit of taking the tablet to bed with me and watching reruns of British detective series. I'm well into Father Brown again. After half an hour or so, I'm ready to nod off. My mind is calmed I guess. I go to bed super early - between 7 and 7:30 and am generally ready to get up at 3 or 3:30. And start drinking the aforementioned coffee.

Michele
    - I had never heard of Rummikub before you started to mention it. Can just 2 people play it? My DH and I used to play cards - Euchre and Pinocle were great Midwest favorites but it takes 4 people as I recall. I'd like to get him interested in something like that again - bet it would be good for our brains.

Wendy
    - I admire your money-saving ideas. And yes, I think you are right about our DH's bottling up their anxiety. Excellent way of expressing it! DH just finished pruning one of the apple trees and watching a young eagle flying over the back yard in the sunshine. I told him it's a good omen. I had access to a some free cloud storage a couple years ago at work called "Evernote". Check it out here: https://evernote.com/ The free version has limited storage - only so much allowed per month as I recall (it might have changed, I let my account lapse) but it worked well and I put all kinds of documents there. I was careful not to plop tax returns and such in it tho - they went on a thumb drive.

I was just thinking over all the topics we've covered here in the past year. Weight loss, health, and exercise - yes. But also very important discussions about what makes us tick - our families, our past and present concerns, celebrations and worries. Newbies, watch us "roll along" and you'll find a place to jump in, lol.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Terry - I also find it helpful to write my worries down. :) I also write down things I need to remember the next day if they are on my mind. If I really can't sleep, a good book is the only solution. I take myself off to the spare room.

We have a house viewing for Thursday at 11 am. Not a good time for us as we will have to rush to finish our exercises, tidy and clean up, put face on and get out of the house. We are normally writing at that time of day. :( However, we will just have to get on with it. I think we will drive over to the nearby town where we can buy our refill for the soda stream and buy some cheap champagne from Lidl. Hope it's not pouring with rain.
    I just hope the viewers are serious.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather
    - good luck with the house viewing! I think later winter/spring are good times to sell houses - people get enthused. Crossing fingers it all works out the way you want it to/when you want it to.

Lanette
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather - best of luck with the house viewing... and my complete sympathies on how much of a PITA it is, trying to sell one.

To the person that asked if there is a banister, yes, but only on one side, and my grip on it is what kept it to only six stairs on my butt instead of a tumble. Not enough upper body strength to stop myself before I slid a ways. Changed to going down one at a time, with full foot on the stairs, kind of sideways. It's a pain, but better than a fall. They're carpeted, and I've tried bare feet, socks, and slippers with tread, and still slipped. Need to get knees working, balance better, and some weight off...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Shoes ...
    I can't imagine wearing shoes all the time. I'm like the toddler who keeps pulling off her shoes and socks. I have socks all over the house because I've become tired of them and have taken them off and left them wherever. I do go through and pick them all up every few days.
    And as for shoes, I have never found a truly comfortable pair. I have had some good quality shoes and shoes which have been comfortable for a period of time ... but none I would want to wear for more than a few hours and preferably not for two days in a row.
    They all hurt my feet after a while and make my feet hot.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    <3Allie, do you have caller ID? Don't even answer the phone when your brother calls.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Interesting about PAD. Because a large number of Aussies go barefoot or wear flip flops, their feet are on display. I have noticed that smokers, and especially those who look like they've smoked for a long time, often have very red or even purple feet. In a few cases their feet are really dark purple. Apparently PAD or maybe PVD might be why.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Wendy ... about clouds ... I use Google. Mainly because it is free easy and convenient.

But one question might be what you want to do or accomplish with cloud storage.

I use it mainly for my uni stuff so I can access my documents from home, work, or at uni.

My husband wants to set it up so that he can do paperwork for the orchard at home and then access everything at work. He has some other plans too which may require him purchasing one of the more advanced packages.

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    evening ladies, <3<3 NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: "I was just thinking over all the topics we've covered here in the past year. Weight loss, health, and exercise - yes. But also very important discussions about what makes us tick - our families, our past and present concerns, celebrations and worries. Newbies, watch us "roll along" and you'll find a place to jump in, lol."

I couldn't agree more. I feel much the same way as you do. :flowerforyou:

(((Allie))) I agree with Barbie's advice: "Allie, do you have caller ID? Don't even answer the phone when your brother calls."

Machka: If PAD is peripheral artery disease, you probably have the right idea. I was raised by smokers & their smoking affected the heart for my dad, and lungs for my mom. :broken_heart: I also had some issues with respiratory sicknesses as a child and grew up to be rabidly antismoking. Smoking affects the air quality for everyone nearby. :grumble:

My toes are freshly painted--even the black one that I stubbed. I feel better because of the pedi. I always choose to have the tips painted white and the rest of the toe done with clear polish. The actually allows me to get away with having weeks and weeks between pedicures, and I like the way they look.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Michele, thanks for both recipes, I might have to try them.
    Lisa, going down the stairs one at a time is a pain, but falling down the lot of them would be more of a pain! Take it slow and sure!
    Allie, so glad you hung up on your brother, he's not being very supportive of you and not your dad either! I'm with Barbie, don't answer his calls if you have called id. Maybe he'll get the message. Or maybe answer it with "if you're calling just to yell at me, then you can just hang up right now ". Might make him think about it, or take some of the wind out of his sails.
    Heather, good luck with the house!
    Sleeping, I always read before bed, seems to turn my brain off a bit. Something else I do when I wake up in the middle of the night is count backwards from 300 by 3's. My brain is kept busy doing the math so that I'm not thinking about every other little thing. As soon as I find myself straying from the math, I immediately go back to where I last remember being. Sometimes I even have to start over. I've only gotten down to zero a few times!
    Must go make dinner now. Have a good one!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island