WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Oh Allie. Words fail. :cry: Alfie has hugs for you from me.
    Janetr hugs and travel safe.
    NYKaren and Barbie Love your mini-actions and have been using them to stay off the couch. Still haven't gotten out for that daily walk yet but the galoshes are now by the door!
    Heather I have added a 4 oz of raw celery every evening, but with distressing results. Any idea how long this "wind" will blow? :laugh:
    Rye hope the headache eased. Random ramblings welcome here.
    Machka if a cookie sheet won't fit in freezer, could a pie tin? I put a sheet of plastic wrap on the cookie sheet first, makes for quick gathering up after frozen, pouring into plastic bags and easy cleanup.
    Kelly I want to hear the Potty Song and see the Potty Dance ;)
    Becca welcome back, you were missed. Sorry for your loss as well
    Joyce, Ellie sounds like a pistol, that apple didn't fall far... Hope the pain eases and BP stabilizes ... quick!

'Night, lovelies.

Mindful and WARM Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,039 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Becca, I couldn't do thT! No bread, soda, chocolate or cookies??? I don't know what would happen to me.

Just no white bread.

I had to eat white bread when I had that horrible dental extraction and that was the first time I've eaten white bread in longer than I can remember. And I was reminded why I don't eat white bread. It's like tasteless glue.

I much prefer a good quality whole grain bread. We've got a couple brands we like. More expensive, but worth it! I have a slice just about every day.

And good for Ellie!

M in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Allie, yes, it sure isn't cheap to die! I was so fortunate that my parents made, and paid for, their final arrangements! Such a huge load off my shoulders! Now we have done the same for our boys. All they need to do is phone the funeral home and tell them to go pick us up. I hope they'll have a luncheon of some sort to celebrate our lives, but we won't be there, so whatever. Well, I guess one of us will be there the first time, but after that....
    Kelly, I would like to hear the potty song and see the dance too! lol
    Machka, I've tried making jam before too, and cutting back on the sugar. I found it made a perfectly edible product even if it was a little "loose". I don't like my jam too thick anyway, so it kinda worked for me. You've sure got my mouth watering for fresh cherries tho. I think I saw some in the grocery store the other day, from Peru if memory serves. They were a tad expensive, so I didn't really look too closely. I prefer to get the ones that are grown a little closer to home. We get beautiful ones from the Okanagan area in the summer, I'll just have to wait.
    Becca, I couldn't do the no chocolate, potatoes or soda either. I don't drink a lot of soda, but every couple of weeks or so, I do enjoy a can. Potatoes are one of the basic food groups in this house! And I do like a cookie or two in the evening. Have to be careful that it doesn't turn into five or six tho!
    Today wasn't a stellar day, but not horrible either. I skipped a couple of days at the gym last week, my body really seemed to be telling me "NO", so I decided to listen. Back at it tomorrow tho! Hoping to get more organizing done in the house next week. I don't have a whole slew of appointments this week, had enough last week to keep me from getting done what I wanted to around the house, only had time to do the need to do stuff. So hoping I can finish in my office/craft room and then get started on what will be our grandson's room, if we ever get to have him overnight! Maybe once we have a proper room for him....
    Need to start thinking about getting ready for bed. Night all!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka if a cookie sheet won't fit in freezer, could a pie tin? I put a sheet of plastic wrap on the cookie sheet first, makes for quick gathering up after frozen, pouring into plastic bags and easy cleanup.

No ... I was lucky to get the three 500 ml containers of jam stuffed into corners in there. I had to do some creative arranging and stacking to do that! Right now, I can't even get my little gel ice packs (for icing knees and ankles) in either of our freezers.

We've got the small freezer on top of the fridge, and the smallest chest freezer you'll find. They are stuffed full of frozen veggies (mainly), bread, my new jam, and a few frozen dinners/leftovers.

Machka in Oz

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My tart cherry juice arrived today. I took my first dose immediately. :D Thought it was delicious! I will be drinking my "dose" night and morning and probably having it with sparkling water in between. I love sharp flavours, so it's perfect for me.

Kate UK - Didn't see your post until Machka reposted it. Yes, it is nice to have some UK folks. I would love it if you and the others posted more often. <3 I do love the way this thread has introduced me to the ways of the US in particular. I feel I have gained a real insight into the country, from the inside. I have been on here over 5 years, so feel very at home. I am hugely curious about the way different people think and I find it endlessly fascinating. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I agree with Heather. I love reading all the posts from US, Australia & New Zealand. It's so interesting to hear about the different customs and daily lives. I live in a small town in South Wales, UK (it used to be a village in my childhood, but has grown over the years), and have never lived anywhere else. All of my immediate family and friends live very near to me so I'm very fortunate.
    Karen UK

I did a cycling tour through part of southern Wales back in 2003. It's just possible I may have been through your small town.

One thing I did notice about cycling in Wales was that we were either doing 4 km/h or 40 km/h the whole way ... up the hill, down the hill, up the hill, down the hill ...

BTW - I'm a Canadian-Australian ... grew up in Canada, but moved to Australia 9 years ago. :)

Machka in Oz

Well, Machka, a coincidence is that whilst you were cycling around Wales in 2003,my eldest daughter was travelling around Australia! My small town is very near the border with England in a County called Monmouthshire. It's quite flat where I am but in half an hour we can be in 'The Valleys' as they're called around here. Mostly they are ex mining communities made up of rows and rows of terraced ex miners cottages.
    How long where you travelling around our neck of the woods?
    Regards
    Karen UK
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hurrying to catch up with all of you. Made it reading to pg. 82. the more I hurry the more I get behind.
  • Machka9
    Options
    My tart cherry juice arrived today. I took my first dose immediately. :D Thought it was delicious! I will be drinking my "dose" night and morning and probably having it with sparkling water in between. I love sharp flavours, so it's perfect for me.

Kate UK - Didn't see your post until Machka reposted it. Yes, it is nice to have some UK folks. I would love it if you and the others posted more often. <3 I do love the way this thread has introduced me to the ways of the US in particular. I feel I have gained a real insight into the country, from the inside. I have been on here over 5 years, so feel very at home. I am hugely curious about the way different people think and I find it endlessly fascinating. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I agree with Heather. I love reading all the posts from US, Australia & New Zealand. It's so interesting to hear about the different customs and daily lives. I live in a small town in South Wales, UK (it used to be a village in my childhood, but has grown over the years), and have never lived anywhere else. All of my immediate family and friends live very near to me so I'm very fortunate.
    Karen UK

I did a cycling tour through part of southern Wales back in 2003. It's just possible I may have been through your small town.

One thing I did notice about cycling in Wales was that we were either doing 4 km/h or 40 km/h the whole way ... up the hill, down the hill, up the hill, down the hill ...

BTW - I'm a Canadian-Australian ... grew up in Canada, but moved to Australia 9 years ago. :)

Machka in Oz

Well, Machka, a coincidence is that whilst you were cycling around Wales in 2003,my eldest daughter was travelling around Australia! My small town is very near the border with England in a County called Monmouthshire. It's quite flat where I am but in half an hour we can be in 'The Valleys' as they're called around here. Mostly they are ex mining communities made up of rows and rows of terraced ex miners cottages.
    Regards
    Karen UK

My friend (from the UK) and I were there about a week. We had just ridden the Paris-Brest-Paris in France, then came over to the UK and took it easy for a few days in the midlands, then headed out to Church Stretton the first night.

We climbed the Long Mynd the next day and made our way to Montgomery, and finally made it to Abermule for the night.

The next day we passed through Caersws on our way to Rhayader where we pitched and left most of our stuff. Then we spent the afternoon cycling out to Cwmystwyth and Elan valley.

The next day, we went to Builth Wells, Hay-on-Wye (loved that place!!!), and up Golden Pass, and down to Cwmyoy.

On Day 5 we went through Abergavenny to Monmouth up into the Forest of Dean and we camped at Christchurch.

Day 6 we headed for Bristol, through St. Briavels, Chepstow and Olveston.

In 2012, my husband and I were on an 8-month round the world trip, and ended up in the UK with several days before our flight to Canada. We were hoping to get out to Cardiff and Hay-on-Wye, but something was up with the trains and it seems to me there was something on in Cardiff so it was difficult to locate accommodation. We ended up in Plymouth instead, which was really nice too. :)

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    We had some good (ish) news this week, as the potential building plot just up the road has had a tree preservation order put on it by the council. There are trees to the front and the back of the plot, so it will at least temporarily stop the #×+÷=% owner, our ex neighbour from knocking them down in preparation. The planning has still to come to decision on the houses, but they acted very quickly on the trees, which are a real feature of the lane.

Less good news was a phone call this morning from DH 's cricket friend to say he and his wife have the dreaded flu and therefore can't make it for Thursday - Burns Night. He is just recovering and she is going down with it. :o I hope my brother and his wife can still come, even if they can't drink the whisky because they are on Dry January. :#:/ Otherwise I have one big, redundant haggis in the freezer!

Lisa - Don't you just love those car seats! >:) Crossing fingers for the warehouse. X

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Karen UK

Machka in Oz

Regards
    Karen UK

My friend (from the UK) and I were there about a week. We had just ridden the Paris-Brest-Paris in France, then came over to the UK and took it easy for a few days in the midlands, then headed out to Church Stretton the first night.

We climbed the Long Mynd the next day and made our way to Montgomery, and finally made it to Abermule for the night.

The next day we passed through Caersws on our way to Rhayader where we pitched and left most of our stuff. Then we spent the afternoon cycling out to Cwmystwyth and Elan valley.

The next day, we went to Builth Wells, Hay-on-Wye (loved that place!!!), and up Golden Pass, and down to Cwmyoy.

On Day 5 we went through Abergavenny to Monmouth up into the Forest of Dean and we camped at Christchurch.

Day 6 we headed for Bristol, through St. Briavels, Chepstow and Olveston.

In 2012, my husband and I were on an 8-month round the world trip, and ended up in the UK with several days before our flight to Canada. We were hoping to get out to Cardiff and Hay-on-Wye, but something was up with the trains and it seems to me there was something on in Cardiff so it was difficult to locate accommodation. We ended up in Plymouth instead, which was really nice too. :)

M in Oz

My little town is very close to Chepstow and it's a half an hour train journey away from Cardiff. Have only been to Hay-on-Wye once and agree, it's lovely.
    All the best
    Karen UK
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Well, I forgot to weigh myself at the beginning of last week, when I started back on my meal plan; SO, I weighed in this morning. I think it is the first time I weighed myself since my knee injury in November. Hello! According to my scale I am back up to 238! I DO know that my scale weighs me about seven pounds heavier than the doctor's office, but I think it best I just use my own scale to track my weight as I will not be in the doctor's office for another year (fingers crossed). SO...that explains a lot. My ankle pain, knee pain, high cholesterol numbers. Time to get busy and weighing has given me a starting point. I was able to stick to my meal plan last week, I will do it again this week. Most days the mfp calculator puts me about 18 pounds lighter in five weeks. I will see how close I can get to that! Keeping up the walking and now adding swimming a couple times a week (to start). Whoot! Full steam ahead!
    Lisa- I am with Heather! Children's car seats! What a pain! Practice putting the base in your car and putting the seat in and also know how to adjust the straps. They are all different and I have seen many a grandparent pick up a kid from daycare and not know how to get the seat in or get the kids into the seat! Even I have troubles with some of them. They are getting so big and awkward!
    Potty song and dance- lol I don't have that recorded. If you have ever seen the old(ish) movie Look Who's Talking; our potty songs are pretty much the same. Mainly a conga line version with the words "pee pee in the pot-tay!" or "poopy on the pot-tay" With a conga line strut and kick on the "tay!". Yup, party in the bathroom. With that and learning to wash hands and brush teeth, I feel I just need to move a comfy chair in there and live there.

kids arriving. gotta fly! ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Eve good to see you.

Becca sorry about your step dad.

Working this morning so need to go get ready.
    :heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    ps0cxydw5gfx.jpg

I could so do this!
    Becca

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: Congratulations on the sale of your warehouse. :star:

Heather: Keeping my fingers crossed that your brother & his wife can come to Burns Night. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: Your link was fascinating and encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing! I think I'll add CQ10 to my list and see if I notice a difference. :star:

Penny: I love the photo of the children with the baby goat. Thank you! :smiley:

Regarding memory and health: Exercise including regular Yoga, walking and horseback riding has been a lifesaver for me, and I've been taking supplements for some time. I've discovered that alcohol is a negative for me, and if I abstain my brain works better.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." CS Lewis