JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited July 2018
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Quick question..
    The nursery walk used to take me an hour from leaving the house to getting back home.
    But today its only took me 50 minutes and I noticed were walking it quicker which is obviously good because it shows improvement on a distance or whatver
    But now I'm only burning 167 calories for 50min rather than 200 for 60min?
    Is that right? Should I just walk a different way home to get the extra 10 mins in again?

All my "exercise" I log on MFP using the MFP database for the intensity and minutes. I wear a Fitbit tracker, mostly for incentive for total steps, hourly movement, and floors ~ I never even look at the calorie burn on that thing. When I do look, the tracker usually has my calorie burn higher than MFP.

I also use the MapMyWalk app on my phone, and no, I don't use that calorie burn either. In fact, I didn't activate that setting. I use the number of minutes and pace from the app to log my exercise on MFP. I have even used "light cleaning" and "cooking" from the MFP database (not often).

I also do not use the "calories burned" from my (very) old treadmill, when I use it. In the end, it's all a numbers game, and no tracker or machine is going to be perfect. But then, neither is my logging of food...

I think finding what works for you, and being consistent, is the key in logging exercise.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Quick question..
    The nursery walk used to take me an hour from leaving the house to getting back home.
    But today its only took me 50 minutes and I noticed were walking it quicker which is obviously good because it shows improvement on a distance or whatver
    But now I'm only burning 167 calories for 50min rather than 200 for 60min?
    Is that right? Should I just walk a different way home to get the extra 10 mins in again?

All my "exercise" I log on MFP using the MFP database for the intensity and minutes. I wear a Fitbit tracker, mostly for incentive for total steps, hourly movement, and floors ~ I never even look at the calorie burn on that thing. When I do look, the tracker usually has my calorie burn higher than MFP.

I also use the MapMyWalk app on my phone, and no, I don't use that calorie burn either. In fact, I didn't activate that setting. I use the number of minutes and pace from the app to log my exercise on MFP. I have even used "light cleaning" and "cooking" from the MFP database (not often).

I also do not use the "calories burned" from my (very) old treadmill, when I use it. In the end, it's all a numbers game, and no tracker or machine is going to be perfect. But then, neither is my logging of food...

I think finding what works for you, and being consistent, is the key in logging exercise.

That's a good idea, I may inactivate that part for mine too. I use the cleaning one on my big clean days, but not the everyday tidy.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Ah @toaljasa I am afraid this was my weekend...except for the losing five pounds part.
    2bej3sxzsatf.png

JFT Friday
    :star: Stick to the food plan
    :grey_question: Stay in the green for calories
    :star: Plan the weekends meals - include those beautiful litte red skined potatoes from Aldis
    :( 10K Steps sooooo close
    :neutral: Be productive at work (I would like to go home feeling like I got something of value accomplished.)

I had an OK weekend. Didn't really go online except to check for family updates. I keep thinking of myself as being lazy because I did not get all sweaty, but I really did not do too bad. I winnowed out my hanging clothes, boxed and bagged up that and some other things that had been set aside during the week and got it all delivered to the thrift shop. Now I have to find one of the helping women groups for my nice suits.

We are pretty casual in my new job. When I interviewed I was dressed in a traditional (and new) suit and I was asked if casual dress would be a problem. "Heck no!" I answered, but I am finding it is a little harder to adjust than I thought it would be. When I was working for Oracle some of my peers came to work in shorts. I could never bring myself to do that. I blamed that on the air conditioning. ❄️ ☃ One day here about a week ago I wore some Capri pants in with a top and light sweater. During the day someone said "Oh, you look so comfortable," and for the rest of the day I felt like my clothes were wrinkled and I was under-dressed. My logical brain said, "oh that was a compliment because you are usually so work-like dressed," by my insecure self fought back hard. This is at a job where one day my director wore her running clothes all day because she had to drop off her car at the tire store and ran the mile to work. And the VP came down to visit us and wore Bermuda shorts and a sleeveless blouse because she was in Florida! I just have too many years of grandma looking at me with the stink eye cause I was going to the mall "in that" and then my first 15 years of professional work was with a very conservative culture appearance wise, Disney. All change can be hard.

JFT Monday
    Stick to the food plan
    Stay in the green for calories
    Plan the net two day's meals
    10K Steps
    Search for shoe in Prime Day
    Search for a standing desktop in Prime Day
    Vacuum something (I like vacuuming)

I think you have the best of both worlds! (not to be a Pollyanna, lol) But I would suggest to wear what you feel comfortable in---not just physically but emotionally as well. And to realize that what you are feeling best in now may change later. In other words, you may currently feel more comfortable and confident in more traditional wear, but might move to casual later...nothing wrong with that as long as it's not done under duress.

My husband works in a place where casual is accepted. But he feels most comfortable in a button down long sleeved shirt and slacks. Fridays he wears jeans. That's just what he feels most confident in. (and he's not the only one who chooses this style---) I remember when I was starting out in the workforce, I preferred to wear dresses or skirt suits. One day a gal asked me if my religion prohibited me wearing pants! Nope, just preferred them!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I had an OK weekend. Didn't really go online except to check for family updates. I keep thinking of myself as being lazy because I did not get all sweaty, but I really did not do too bad. I winnowed out my hanging clothes, boxed and bagged up that and some other things that had been set aside during the week and got it all delivered to the thrift shop. Now I have to find one of the helping women groups for my nice suits.

We are pretty casual in my new job. When I interviewed I was dressed in a traditional (and new) suit and I was asked if casual dress would be a problem. "Heck no!" I answered, but I am finding it is a little harder to adjust than I thought it would be. When I was working for Oracle some of my peers came to work in shorts. I could never bring myself to do that. I blamed that on the air conditioning. ❄️ ☃ One day here about a week ago I wore some Capri pants in with a top and light sweater. During the day someone said "Oh, you look so comfortable," and for the rest of the day I felt like my clothes were wrinkled and I was under-dressed. My logical brain said, "oh that was a compliment because you are usually so work-like dressed," by my insecure self fought back hard. This is at a job where one day my director wore her running clothes all day because she had to drop off her car at the tire store and ran the mile to work. And the VP came down to visit us and wore Bermuda shorts and a sleeveless blouse because she was in Florida! I just have too many years of grandma looking at me with the stink eye cause I was going to the mall "in that" and then my first 15 years of professional work was with a very conservative culture appearance wise, Disney. All change can be hard.

I don't think you were at all lazy! Going through closets and dressers is work to me. I had to laugh about your new job's dress code. Before moving to my present job 3 1/2 years ago, I worked 30+ years in banking. In the Midwest. Talk about conservative dress. Until 2010 or so, women were required (!) to wear pantyhose when wearing skirt suits / dresses, no matter how hot the weather. Yuck! That's why I wore pants most of the time. I worked often on computer conversions and mergers for some years, which required working on weekends in service centers with a team of people. Then there was no dress code (other than decent). My boss still wore his khakis and dress shirts (on Sat. night in a closed service center!) but most of us wore shorts (summertime), jeans and casual shirts.

Now I work where the dress code is business casual and Fridays are jeans days. I love it! Sometimes I am more dressed up than others. Today I wore a sleeveless dress with matching short sleeve jacket. And no pantyhose. Still frequently wear pants and top with jacket or sweater. But love the flexibility and freedom to choose. Being from WI, I would be like your visiting VP, lol. Although personally, I would draw the line at running clothes.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Hello everyone! I hope your day went well! I actually had a REALLY good day! My manager came back! The whole atmosphere at work changed! And I found out that my coworker is leaving next Wednesday. I hate to say it, but I'm really excited about that! Lol. I got to visit my Mom during my break AND got to leave early! Although not as early as I wanted. Our internet in my branch has been crashing like every hour and freezing all of our banking programs. It makes things incredibly difficult. For some reason, it seems to always do it when we have customers! I feel so bad when they have to wait for our systems to unfreeze. Just as I was finishing my day and about to reconcile my drawer my program froze and then locked me out for like 20 minutes. I had to call my back office to figure it out! I still got out early, so that wasn't too terrible.

Matt is on his way home and I can't wait to see him. I hate the nights he closes. Although I did have a great time with D. She just got back from summer camp with my Dad, her son, and the Boy Scout troop. So I got to see all her pictures and hear all the stories. Her son has Downs Syndrome but is one of the most awesome guys I've ever met. I am blessed to know him! We got a lot done organization wise. And she fed me, which is always good.

I have a Misfit activity tracker. MFP isn't connecting to it anymore but Misfit's app connects to it. Lol. So pretty much, Misfit can get info from MFP, but MFP cant get info from Misfit. It's kind of infuriating because Misfit is what I use to track steps and burned calories and things. I sent an email to the IT dept of MFP and they said that they know of the problem and are working with Misfit to fix it. I hope they get it fixed soon. Lol.

Anyway!

JFT, 7/17/18

1. Up at 630
    2. Coffee/quiet time
    3. Yoga!!!
    4. Work 815-515
    5. Pick up library books!!!!
    6. Get gas
    7. Dinner(Taco turkey and rice)/Dishes!
    8. DH time
    9. Kitchen closed by 9
    10. Shower/face/teeth
    11. Tech off by 10:30
    12. Lights off by 11

I hope everyone has a great night and an even better tomorrow!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Monthly Challenges:

July 1: Water :star: / Walk/Move :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 2: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :(
    July 3: Water :( / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :(
    July 4: Water :naughty: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 5: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :naughty:
    July 6: Water :neutral: Not as much as I wanted but not bad / Walk :naughty: but to be fair, I had PT and was pretty sore / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 7: Water :star: / Walk :star: / Mindful Eating: :star: / Planning :star:
    July 8: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 9: Missed logging
    July 10: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / mindful eating / :neutral: / Planning :star:
    July 11: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful eating :naughty: / Planning :star:
    July 12: Water :star: / Walk :star: not an actual walk, but I did make conscious effort to get up from my desk and move more than normal. Less Sitting. / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 13: Water :naughty: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :naughty: / Planning :naughty:
    July 14: Water: ⭐ / Walk ⭐ / Mindful Eating ⭐ Planning :naughty:
    July 15: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 16: Water :star: / Walk :naughty: / Mindful Eating :star: / Planning :star:
    July 17: Water / Walk / Mindful Eating / Planning

Be the change you wish to see in the world
    2018 Theme: Persistence and Determination

• jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Had my first super-crash today. Looking back I see exactly why it happened-didn't eat enough yesterday, slept for crap, woke up too late for coffee, had a tough caseload, had a headache, and was just off/crabby all day. Didn't eat half my lunch so I was pretty hungry/crashing by dinner and went for the double cheeseburger and fries. Felt so cruddy I didn't even exercise, which is the first time in a month. :( I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, but I'm really beating myself up tonight. Seeing how I used to eat most days in comparison to how I'm eating right now is a pretty shocking view. Sigh, tomorrow is another day.

For today:
    House chores ✅
    Do maximum pushups able: ✅ 1+3 modified
    30 minutes exercise :(
    1 hour TV maximum ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups :(
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise-WAAAAAAY over
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅-didn't really want to! But I figure you gotta report the bad days with the good

For tomorrow:
    House chores
    Do maximum pushups able
    30 minutes exercise
    1 hour TV maximum
    Track food and exercise
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Just for Sunday:
    Journal every bite :)
    One session of Body Groove (being mindful of back and hip) :(
    Food Prep for week :)
    Meal Plan for week & make grocery list :)
    :star::star: Study for tomorrow's recertification exams :)
    Quilt top (goal is to finish the top) :(
    Podcasts - Half Size Me (finding I'm getting hooked on these. Very insightful) and try one new one :)
    Write Becks Day 1 index cards :)
    Pick out the week's outfits, iron and set aside :)
    Bed EARLY. Unplug by 9:00 and sleeping by 10:00. :(

Took my two recertification exams today and I PASSED!!! No more studying at night or weekends. I'm so happy and so relieved!

I stuck to my food plan today. I'm in the green for calories. I'm heading for bed soon. I prepped meals for tomorrow, and prelogged for tomorrow also. I have an appointment with the Pain & Spine doctor tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. so will be getting up at least an hour earlier than usual. I hope the appointment goes well and we can get to the root of what is causing the pain and problems with walking.

Have a good evening!! I'll post goals for tomorrow when I get time in the morning. :heart:

Woohoo!
  • nickssweetheart
    edited July 2018
    @jeschepp, these days come to us all. But you thought it through, you figured out why it happened, and you still did your daily wrapup. I call that a success! Don't beat yourself up. Look at all the positive changes you have already made. Eating the double cheeseburger is now the exception, not the rule. That's a great reason to celebrate.

I know it can be hard to feel that way when you're in a funk and you feel heavy and weighed down from all the food, but this was one moment out of your week. It doesn't define your week.

I don't know if you noticed, but I accomplished zero of my goals yesterday. Sigh. Look at the rest of your day...just see all the green checks!
  • nickssweetheart
    1. Log everything I eat and stay under goal. :)
    2. Drink 8 cups of water. :neutral:
    3. Physical therapy morning and evening. :)
    4. Eat only when hungry. :)
    5. Kitchen closed, brush teeth, and in bed by midnight. :neutral: This may have been over-ambitious given I got off work at 10:30. I'm still going to do it!
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :| Although this morning, not before/ at the time
    - Stick to food plan :/ No! I forgot that there was a charity bake event yesterday. I had some cake because I'd previously made up a rule that I don't eat snacks at work, EXCEPT for the monthly cake event. Apart from, I didn't even enjoy it that much - cake is a bit too sweet for me - so I might say that in future I just don't snack at work!
    - 45 minute lunch break :smiley:
    - Stop work at 6pm :smile:
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book :neutral: 3/4
    - French vocab on flashcards :smiley:
    - Start reading article :smile:
    - Get tested on verbs :/ Was too tired

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3 bottles water
    - No alcohol

- 45 minute lunch break
    - Stop work by 7.45pm
    - French podcast, article, Duolingo, book
    - Finish reading article
    - Get tested on verbs
    - French conversation with boyfriend
    - Get speech ready

• jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Just for today ...

I will drink a glass of water every hour. I've set my alarm to remind me.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Just for today ...

Argh, drinking so much water is HARD! Also, I feel like I'm peeing constantly. Tell me my body gets used to so much liquid?!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Just for today ...

Argh, drinking so much water is HARD! Also, I feel like I'm peeing constantly. Tell me my body gets used to so much liquid?!

For me it's still a fine line between hydrated and being in the bathroom every 20 minutes. You figure out what your limits are. For me, about 16 oz/hour is my limit and 12 oz/hour is optimal. These are averages, I don't stick to an oz/hr specifically. Also, I try to make the best of the extra time spent in the bathroom with some squats or wall push ups. Good luck and good job!
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    JFY (Monday 7/16/18)
    1) Log all my food :)
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories :)
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake :/
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke :)
    5) Complete Day 10 in my new Beck Diet Solutions :)
    6) Laundry :)
    7) Go to the gym :)
    8) Complete 5 orders from my shop :)

JFT (Tuesday 7/17/18)
    1) Log all my food
    2) Stay "in the green" with my calories
    3) Stay "in the green" with my sodium intake
    4) Drink all my water before having a Diet Coke
    5) Complete Day 11 in my new Beck Diet Solutions
    6) Laundry
    7) Go to the gym
    8) Complete 6 orders from my shop
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT Monday Recap
    1. Log all food :)
    2. Drink lots of water :| not the best day but not awful
    3. Eat when hungry - stop when full :)
    4. Cook dinner at home :)
    5. Be kind :)
    6. 10 Wall push ups/bathroom trip :| I remembered twice out of a handful
    7. Bring more RX to work - call in refill to CVS :) / >:)

JFT Tuesday
    1. Log all food
    2. Drink 3 waters before 12
    3. Cook dinner at home
    4. Be kind
    5. 10 squats/bathroom trip
    6. Call in RX to CVS
    7. Bring home air matress
  • Snowflake1968

I don't think you were at all lazy! Going through closets and dressers is work to me. I had to laugh about your new job's dress code. Before moving to my present job 3 1/2 years ago, I worked 30+ years in banking. In the Midwest. Talk about conservative dress. Until 2010 or so, women were required (!) to wear pantyhose when wearing skirt suits / dresses, no matter how hot the weather. Yuck! That's why I wore pants most of the time. I worked often on computer conversions and mergers for some years, which required working on weekends in service centers with a team of people. Then there was no dress code (other than decent). My boss still wore his khakis and dress shirts (on Sat. night in a closed service center!) but most of us wore shorts (summertime), jeans and casual shirts.

Now I work where the dress code is business casual and Fridays are jeans days. I love it! Sometimes I am more dressed up than others. Today I wore a sleeveless dress with matching short sleeve jacket. And no pantyhose. Still frequently wear pants and top with jacket or sweater. But love the flexibility and freedom to choose. Being from WI, I would be like your visiting VP, lol. Although personally, I would draw the line at running clothes.

Isn't it crazy that only 8 years ago women were still asked to wear pantyhose? Laws are changing here in Canada regarding some of the restaurant chains and what women can be asked to wear. It is now illegal to ask them to wear high heels in at least one province and is the process of being changed in others.
  • Snowflake1968
    Hello everyone! I hope your day went well! I actually had a REALLY good day! My manager came back! The whole atmosphere at work changed! And I found out that my coworker is leaving next Wednesday. I hate to say it, but I'm really excited about that! Lol. I got to visit my Mom during my break AND got to leave early! Although not as early as I wanted. Our internet in my branch has been crashing like every hour and freezing all of our banking programs. It makes things incredibly difficult. For some reason, it seems to always do it when we have customers! I feel so bad when they have to wait for our systems to unfreeze. Just as I was finishing my day and about to reconcile my drawer my program froze and then locked me out for like 20 minutes. I had to call my back office to figure it out! I still got out early, so that wasn't too terrible.

Matt is on his way home and I can't wait to see him. I hate the nights he closes. Although I did have a great time with D. She just got back from summer camp with my Dad, her son, and the Boy Scout troop. So I got to see all her pictures and hear all the stories. Her son has Downs Syndrome but is one of the most awesome guys I've ever met. I am blessed to know him! We got a lot done organization wise. And she fed me, which is always good.

I have a Misfit activity tracker. MFP isn't connecting to it anymore but Misfit's app connects to it. Lol. So pretty much, Misfit can get info from MFP, but MFP cant get info from Misfit. It's kind of infuriating because Misfit is what I use to track steps and burned calories and things. I sent an email to the IT dept of MFP and they said that they know of the problem and are working with Misfit to fix it. I hope they get it fixed soon. Lol.

Anyway!

JFT, 7/17/18

1. Up at 630
    2. Coffee/quiet time
    3. Yoga!!!
    4. Work 815-515
    5. Pick up library books!!!!
    6. Get gas
    7. Dinner(Taco turkey and rice)/Dishes!
    8. DH time
    9. Kitchen closed by 9
    10. Shower/face/teeth
    11. Tech off by 10:30
    12. Lights off by 11

I hope everyone has a great night and an even better tomorrow!

So happy to hear you enjoyed your day at work today! What a difference it can make on your mood and outlook when you aren't surrounded with a great team!
  • Snowflake1968
    Just for Sunday:
    Journal every bite :)
    One session of Body Groove (being mindful of back and hip) :(
    Food Prep for week :)
    Meal Plan for week & make grocery list :)
    :star::star: Study for tomorrow's recertification exams :)
    Quilt top (goal is to finish the top) :(
    Podcasts - Half Size Me (finding I'm getting hooked on these. Very insightful) and try one new one :)
    Write Becks Day 1 index cards :)
    Pick out the week's outfits, iron and set aside :)
    Bed EARLY. Unplug by 9:00 and sleeping by 10:00. :(

Took my two recertification exams today and I PASSED!!! No more studying at night or weekends. I'm so happy and so relieved!

I stuck to my food plan today. I'm in the green for calories. I'm heading for bed soon. I prepped meals for tomorrow, and prelogged for tomorrow also. I have an appointment with the Pain & Spine doctor tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m. so will be getting up at least an hour earlier than usual. I hope the appointment goes well and we can get to the root of what is causing the pain and problems with walking.

Have a good evening!! I'll post goals for tomorrow when I get time in the morning. :heart:

Congratulations! That is awesome!