Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto means not counting calories

Options

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @kpk54 sorry that did not work out longer term in your case. Do you think the MCT oil was a factor in it stop working when it was working before? MTC oil wants to make me gag when nothing hardly makes me gag so I have given my stock away. Normally when I have a bad reaction to a food it is because it is bad for me. Now the smell of McDonald's fries makes me want to gag.

No. I added the MCT Oil AFTER the regular ketogenic diet quit working which was during the last 4 or 5 months. Adding MCT neither helped nor hindered so far as involuntary movement.

I went through a few bottles and finally landed on 1 that had "no taste" (as MCT Oil ads generally claim). But yes, the 1st couple brands I tried had a "taste" and it was not pleasant.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    daraalt wrote: »
    i count, but i think when i get to my goal weight and maintain, i will not be so strict. some doctors say CICO is bs, but i don't know.

What doctors, I have never heard any personally.

Idiot charlatan doctors with products, books and woo to sell. Fung comes to mind immediately. Oz would be another.

You can always find a contrarian everywhere. Usually, there is money in it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    @kpk54 sorry that did not work out longer term in your case. Do you think the MCT oil was a factor in it stop working when it was working before? MTC oil wants to make me gag when nothing hardly makes me gag so I have given my stock away. Normally when I have a bad reaction to a food it is because it is bad for me. Now the smell of McDonald's fries makes me want to gag.

Cool more fries for me! But on the other hand they aren't nearly as good as when they were fried in beef tallow.

If you go to an especially fancy gastropub here in old Blighty, you might find chips (fat fries) fried in beef dripping. Godly.

I'm seriously considering booking a flight lol.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Cool more fries for me! But on the other hand they aren't nearly as good as when they were fried in beef tallow.

If you go to an especially fancy gastropub here in old Blighty, you might find chips (fat fries) fried in beef dripping. Godly.

There's these too, which are actually pretty good, better than any other frozen fries I've had!

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/mccain-triple-cooked-gastro-chips-640g/p/70827
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

There's these too, which are actually pretty good, better than any other frozen fries I've had!

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/mccain-triple-cooked-gastro-chips-640g/p/70827

Interesting, that's a Canadian company I'll have to look for those here.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I've seen that occasionally here in the US. A handful of places are using duck fat as well.

mmm duck fat fries - there is a brewery up near Baltimore that has them....sooo damn good
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

No. I added the MCT Oil AFTER the regular ketogenic diet quit working which was during the last 4 or 5 months. Adding MCT neither helped nor hindered so far as involuntary movement.

I went through a few bottles and finally landed on 1 that had "no taste" (as MCT Oil ads generally claim). But yes, the 1st couple brands I tried had a "taste" and it was not pleasant.

Thanks for the details. Since I do 3+ tablespoons of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee each morning and eat a 2+ pound of coconut flakes weekly I am going to call my level of MCT oil from those sources enough. :)

Keto is not a cure for anything but for some reason it has really addressed my joint pain, IBS, cataract formation and mental clarity, etc. For me keto/low carb high fat is not a diet but an eating life style in my case since it addressed my cravings so now I can eat all that I want of my macro and still maintain my weight loss. Thanks again for your realistic take of keto in your case. I do hope you find some help with your condition. My naturally fused spine (from the Ankylosing Spondylitis) still is a major limitation but it is starting to move more year by year. The main thing most of my pain is gone on keto thankfully. I am lucky it seems that keto means not counting calories in my case .
    Do you only consume one macro? You make reference to the McDonald's burgers you eat. Don't they have at least 2 macros? Protein and fat. And, if you have a burger bun or lettuce or tomato, those would be carbs.

So, you consume 3 macros just like most of us. Don't you? Which one is "your" macro. And why would it be yours? Sounds absurd on the face of it.

@mmapags that is a great question that is basic to any Way Of Eating (WOE). My Fitness Pal does a good job in my view of covering your and the other keto questions of other readers of this thread. I use the MFP keto macro suggestions in their link below.

Is the Ketogenic Diet Safe for Weight Loss?

blog.myfitnesspal.com/ketogenic-diet-safe-weight-loss/

"ADJUST YOUR MACROS

To achieve nutritional ketosis, adjust your MyFitnessPal macronutrient goals to achieve a daily intake of 70–75% fat, 15–20% protein and 5–10% calories from carbohydrates."

"KNOW IT’S NOT A QUICK FIX

As with any weight-loss plan, the goal is not just to lose weight but also to keep it off. Before you transition to a ketogenic way of eating, ask yourself whether you can make this a long-term lifestyle change and not just a quick fix that could lead to a cycle of yo-yo dieting.

THE BOTTOM LINE
    When followed properly, ketogenic diets have been shown to be safe and effective for weight loss and may provide other health benefits including better blood sugar control, a decrease in inflammation and improved triglyceride and HDL counts. However, in order to achieve ketosis, one must consider this a long-term lifestyle change and follow a very specific eating plan to maintain weight loss over time. As always, consult your doctor or a registered dietitian before making any major dietary changes."

for those without a genetic cholesterol issue it may help lower triglycerides and help HDL in someone with a genetic cholesterol disorder it makes it worse due to the high fat in the diet not being processed normally. and for some saying its a safe and effective way for weight loss I have seen many other things stated by doctors that it may not be safe for long periods of time in those without health issues.The verdict is still out on whether its safe for all or not. some of these studies say that one diet isnt really any better than keto. weight loss was the biggest factor in improved health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3826507/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16385748

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15601962
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23035144