February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @fitoverfortymom and @lporter229! Love seeing the bling!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 that puck is a very cool award!! Congrats on the race.
    @fitoverfortymom fantastic race! Congrats!
    @dreamer12151 for long runs (no pun intended) I'll drink two cups of coffee when I wake up and that's usually enough to get things moving, but sometimes I might have to wait over an hour. That makes it difficult to plan a group morning run unless I want to get up super early to make sure things happen. On the long runs I'll usually carry a small ziploc bag with a few baby wipes in case I need to use them mid-run. Ironically, after never needing them for a long time, the first time i went without I had an issue, cut my run short, barely made it back to my truck at the trailhead in time to grab some wipes, and nearly got busted by the sheriff. If your stomach gets upset I hear that candied ginger is a great help but I've got an iron gut and have never needed that.
    @Link2Life I never breathe through my nose when I run. It always gets stuffed up, summer or winter, dry or humid, doesn't matter. When running I'm a mouth breather.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I had over 12 beautiful, snow-filled trail miles with Kody Saturday. Unfortunately I wanted 13 and even more unfortunately I should have stopped at 10.

For 7 miles, no problems. Then a slight ITB pain kicked in but one I could run through. I returned to the trail head around 10 miles and decided one loop around the lake just about get me to 13. At 11 miles I stopped to look at a map and that's when the sharp pain hit. It was either take the short way for a mile or the long way for 2. Stupid me when the long way, aggravating it more than necessary. It hurt the rest of the night and half of Sunday.

Sunday I had 5 miles planned but skipped it and worked on my glutes instead. I want to to do the 5 miles tonight but forgot we're going out to eat tonight. dangit! Dinner is at 7 and I don't have to go home first, so I may spend an hour climbing the stairs and getting sweaty before going out.

This weekend I'm going to do the long run on pavement and see if that makes a difference. I'm also considering limiting my long runs to 10 miles and adding a 5th day to get them all in.

That 20 mile race next weekend is looking quite doubtful at the moment. There's a 50/50 chance I'll drop down to 10 miles.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Link2Life like @7lenny7 I breathe through my mouth. It's the fastest way to get air into the body since I have a big mouth. I might be making this up but I swear I read you should breathe through your mouth.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Link2Life like @7lenny7 I breathe through my mouth. It's the fastest way to get air into the body since I have a big mouth. I might be making this up but I swear I read you should breathe through your mouth.

I mostly breathe through my mouth too. My nose runs when I workout and is made worse by breathing through it.

I swear I read something like a month ago that you should switch it up. I don't remember where though.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

I mostly breathe through my mouth too. My nose runs when I workout and is made worse by breathing through it.

I swear I read something like a month ago that you should switch it up. I don't remember where though.

Count me in as another mouth breather. I don't know if it's the fact that I have a bit of a deviated septum or what, but if I try to breath through my nose I will inevitably feel like I'm not getting enough air.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Had to scan quickly through the 10 pages I was behind. Congrats on everyone that ran a race this weekend, and the few that got AG wins. Awesome job everyone.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: nose breathing. I'm fairly sure the advice to breathe through the nose comes from people who don't have allergies. I can't reliably breathe through my nose when I'm outside. My nose runs pretty much constantly when I run and is almost always at least partly stopped up.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mid month question???

Which winter Olympic game calls you?

I wanna play hockey, and snowboard. I also want a Coke and tacos. Not sure why I want tacos, or tostada's.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Mid month question???

I wanna play hockey, and snowboard. I also want a Coke and tacos. Not sure why I want tacos, or tostada's.

Figure skating has me glued to the TV when it is on. Hockey sometimes but I'm a bit iffy this year on the men with no NHL players. I like curling but don't go out of my way to watch it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mid month question???

Hockey for the win! Though I'm a bit annoyed that my fave NHL players aren't going to be there. But apart from the hockey, I love the cross-country skiing events. I was totally glued to the skiathlon the other night.

Actually I will watch pretty much all the events. Hurtling downhill at ridiculous speeds (skiing, skeleton, ski-jump, luge etc) isn't my idea of fun and absolutely terrifies me, but I love watching other people do it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Grew up playing Hockey, going to school we used to put our basic gear ( shin pads, protective cup and Hockey Pants) on when we got to school and then went to class. At first break ( 15 mins ) we would just wear boots/shoes and play Ball Hockey. Then back to class still wearing gear. At lunch hour you put on your skates and took your lunch with you out to the ice rink ( yes we had our own rink right on the school property ) spent the hour playing Pickup shinny hockey. Everyone would throw their sticks in a big pile and one player would be blindfolded - he/she would grab sticks out of the pile and throw them left/right until there were no sticks left. The goalies would then negotiate for the Best Lunch Treats as to which team they would be on. The teachers would ring the bell 5 mins early so we could get back inside and out of our gear before so called 2nd bell. We used to have 3-4 games a year against neighboring schools. If you ever watched a NHL Outdoor game - that's what I grew up playing.

Which Winter Olympic game calls me. Curling - so much strategy and finesse trying to get a 44 Pound rock to slide 105 to 135ft down the ice as it curls ( curved path ) to a location the size of a Teacup. Very physical workout for what is referred to as the front end (sweepers).

Well another pair of shoes go into the early retirement-goodwill bin. After my run on Friday my shins ached a little saturday morning - so between the cold and ache I took a rest day. Well they were screaming at me Saturday night and back to a dull ache on Sunday so those shoes get to go - 570km on them. Usually they start giving little warnings not all out kicking. Will try a 5km shorty tonight with differant/new shoes after swim club. Still a little tender on the left, right is fine.
  • avocardiothyme
    avocardiothyme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mid month question???

Snowboarding for sure - super excited to watch it tonight!