February 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DauntlessDiva
    DauntlessDiva Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I logged on to Facebook while out of town and found out that the coach for our running program for the YMCA (across all Y's in the metro area) has been let go effective immediately. Seems to be a financial decision, they are going to make the triathlon coach the head of both the running and tri programs. I feel devastated. He built the running program, it's his method of training, he inspired all of us. I know there are meetings happening, and protests, and letter writing. I hope somehow it gets reversed or some other position is found. I would not be a runner without this program, and there is no program without our coach as far as we the runners are concerned. Just shocked and sad and angry.

Maybe he can go out on his own to continue coaching independently so you can still have his coaching! Hopefully this works out in your favor In the long run. ❤️
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Question for y'all: Our health insurance has a benefit that either reimburses us for a gym membership OR the equivalent in "home fitness equipment". If you had $30/month (you can spend the whole year at one time so $360 total per person), what equipment would you buy?

If I had space, I'd buy a squat rack and barbell set, maybe some dumbbells And maybe a Concept2 Rowing machine if I really had money to splash out. As a runner, you'd benefit from strength training but you already get your cardio from running. The rower is probably the best all-round fitness 'machine'
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Question for y'all: Our health insurance has a benefit that either reimburses us for a gym membership OR the equivalent in "home fitness equipment". If you had $30/month (you can spend the whole year at one time so $360 total per person), what equipment would you buy?

If I had space, I'd buy a squat rack and barbell set, maybe some dumbbells And maybe a Concept2 Rowing machine if I really had money to splash out. As a runner, you'd benefit from strength training but you already get your cardio from running. The rower is probably the best all-round fitness 'machine'

Ask yourself what you will actually USE. I mean there are tons of great work out thingies you can buy that will help you in all kinds of great ways - but in most homes, they end up just collected laundry.

Personally, for me, I would upgrade my dreadmill as it is probably the only thing I would actually use.

If you keep up running, you probably need to target upper body. So equipment that targets your upper body is probably wisest - if you will actually use it.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Just caught up!

To all the head phone posts: The 5 & 8K's I've been in say they are discouraged, but people use them, and I've also gone by people who don't use them, but their music is playing loud & clear to all around, if we want to hear it or not! In the duathalons I've done, they are absolutely forbidden, and any athlete using them will be disqualified. Personally, I will use them, but only 1 ear bud in. I CAN run without music, but I prefer to.

Now I do have a question to pose to y'all here. Getting real. (If it's too real, then delete, I understand) "Runner's Trots" Gut Issues, Lower GI Issues...however you want to phrase it. I KNOW I'm not alone with this! For races, I'll take an Imodium, but I don't want to take one every time I run. I've changed my diet, limited my alcohol, I run on empty, get dressed while sitting on the toilet, then take another sit before I go out, yet there still times, like this morning, where I'm pausing my runs because I literally cannot go on. I have tried slowing a pace, walking, but nope, I have to stop. At 4:30, 5 in the morning, not too many options to ask to use the bathroom! How many else suffer through this, and what are your little tips & tricks for getting through it?
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - Congratulations! And as you can probably guess from my user name, I'm a massive hockey fan and I am VERY envious of your bling.