pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    katla - i feel ya, i have no thumb
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Felicia - congratulations to you and your family I'm sorry to hear the mommy isn't doing well. What is HELLP?

Michele from NC in FL

HELLP (hemolysis: the rupture or destruction of red blood cells; elevated liver enzymes; low platelet count)

Not nice.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us have any sympathy for TomCat ... It's Karma coming to visit him. Karma is a B****; and, YOU are NOT Karma. He needs to sux it up and pay you what you are entitled to. But, you also need to stop helping him in any manner. Hang in there girl. We're pulling for you.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Goals for February are #1 Continue to track on MyFitnessPal #2 Eat a healthy diet with sufficient protein, fat, and fiber that I don't get hungry between meals (doing a low carb week made me realize that eating too little fat and protein was causing me to get very hungry between meals so I would end up snacking past my calorie goal #3 Get some exercise every day whether it is walking in my neighborhood, working out at the gym, or exercising in the living room while I am watching my shows #4 Continue to follow my sleep routine (no computer after 8 pm, shower and jammies by 9:30 PM, lights out at 10 PM, and up at 6 AM every morning. I have only lost 6 pounds so far since I started in December, but I will keep moving and eating and hope for the best. Have a good month everyone!

You can't legally type the word only and a number in the same sentence. Just messing wit ya! Congrats on the 6 lbs!!! You are going down the path girlie!
    Becca
    Bylaws coordinator
    Wannabe in
    Oregon

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • alsado9988
    alsado9988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just ran across this discussion site and am not sure if this is where I can ask this question. I'm trying to figure out if I can use Myfitnesspal foodlog for homecooking. I prep a lot of stuff that I use in my recipes, but I haven't been able to call those up to insert into new recipes. I.E. I'm making a garlic paste with a hot pepper every month (2 small jars last fine in the fridge) and I use those to add to everything else I'm cooking. Or my honey'd ginger--the drained off liquid goes into my salad dressings or tea. This is the third program I'm trying. Fitbit was just getting me ticked off. What experiences do you guys have with the foodlog? are you using it?

As for goals for February 2018 :
    1. loose at least 5 lbs of the 10 I gained since December. (Christmas and #cook90) I love to cook and bake but I hate the connected weight gain. It makes my back hurt even more.
    2. Keep working out every morning with a variety of workouts--not just Yoga. I've been with Grokker for 2 years now, and finally got into Sarah Kusch's workouts (HIIT and Core) and so far I've done okay. I don't do the jumping she does; mine is more the old lady version of "shuffeling HIIT) but at least I'm moving. Heartrate this morning got up to 147, so I guess I'm okay.
    3. keep walking and reaching my goal of 11500 steps on fitbit
    4. try to spread my meals out over the day. I read somewhere that it's better to eat 5 small meals that just 2 or three. What do you think?
    5. Smile more
    6. Sleep more -- 5 hours are not enough. I'm retired -- why do I get up @ 6 am or earlier??? No clue, back hurts, brain's off zooming around in my head. So I get up, work on some glass (we do glass fusing), treadmill, elliptical, Yoga, or I go to play in the greenhouse. I soo need sunshine. This crappy weather is getting to me. I know, I should be happy we're not stuck on the eastcoast @ 0 degrees. I'm in the PNW (Federal Way), and I'm turning into a slug.
    7. cut down on beer. I love malty brews, but they don't love me (or maybe they do, they seem to like settling around my middle.) ;)

Okay, that's it. Sorry for the ramble. ;)
    Sabine - almost 60, loving plants, animals (have parrot and cat), hiking, kayaking (in the summer), glass fusing, anything wood (my husband is a wood artist), dark craft beer with low IBUS, cooking, baking savory stuff, German bread, reading, music (all kinds except rap), photography, photoshop, Nature. Nickname is Bubba.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    o9qcopg4cee8.jpeg
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Barbie, sounds like things are coming together for Jake. I’ll send good thoughts your way.

Allie, I concur with the advice you got about Tom. This all will be over soon and you don’t want to find out you settled for something that won’t work for you. Looking out for Tom isn’t your job. He is an adult with a lawyer so you take care of you. Doesn’t make you the bad guy, just a smart capable woman

Sabine, welcome. Sounds like you have a good with achievable goals.

Starting to snow and we are expecting about a foot. Two days in a row tracking and staying within calories. Yeah me!

That’s it for me.

Terry in VT
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    alsado9988 wrote: »
    I just ran across this discussion site and am not sure if this is where I can ask this question. I'm trying to figure out if I can use Myfitnesspal foodlog for homecooking. I prep a lot of stuff that I use in my recipes, but I haven't been able to call those up to insert into new recipes. I.E. I'm making a garlic paste with a hot pepper every month (2 small jars last fine in the fridge) and I use those to add to everything else I'm cooking. Or my honey'd ginger--the drained off liquid goes into my salad dressings or tea. This is the third program I'm trying. Fitbit was just getting me ticked off. What experiences do you guys have with the foodlog? are you using it?

The main reason I joined MFP was to log my food, and MFP is the best program I've come across. Over the years I've tried FitDay, Daily Plate, and several others. I also looked at LoseIt when I was trying to decide on something to use back in 2015.

All were pains to use and/or didn't have Australian or Canadian foods. They all seemed to have a heavy emphasis on American food. I even contacted LoseIt about it, and they, rather vaguely, told me that they might start including foods from the rest of the world. Well, "might" didn't help me any.

MFP seems to have everything!! And I love their barcode feature (although you do have to double-check it).

So I can enter all my packaged food either by finding the entry or using the barcode.

And then when it comes to unpackaged food, it's really easy to weigh whatever it is (i.e. carrots, potatoes, etc.), find the entry with the green "tick" and log the correct weight.

Around lunchtime each day, I'll go in and enter most of my day ... and then finish it off at the end of the day. :)

If you are making something, you've got a choice ...

A ) Weigh and log each item separately.
    B ) Find something similar in MFPs database or on a recipe that has calories, and enter a close estimate.

You can also use Recipe Builder. I used that 3 or 4 times early on, but haven't tried it recently.

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,428 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Felicia - sending healing thoughts to your step-daughter! She'll need all the energy she can get. Training sounds good! Men_________ (fill in the blank,) lol. Hang in there!

Becca
    - I think you are a Becca! My grandma and SIL were both Rebecca's. They "Becky's". Good luck to your DH with the CT scan and surgery preps. (((HUGS))) to both of you.

Michele - how neat to see the SpaceX launched! A historical event for sure!! Glad you made it to FL OK. How long are you staying? Rest of the winter? You probably said and I skippered right over it!

Katla
    - Welcome home! Sleep tight! Is your dog still overjoyed to have you back? LOL!

Allie - don't blame you for wanting to get this all overwith. After the divorce and your dad's estate, I hope you don't have to deal with lawyers for a long, long time! Glad dinner with your brother was nice!

Barbie - sounds like you have everything well planned for Jake's surgery and I'm so glad you made it there and back with no hassle. Hope it does the trick for Jake so he can get back to being more active.

I am hoping if my DH has to have some stents they can do it in Olympia. If it has to be Seattle, I'll PM you for more info. Just as a precaution, I'm getting our dogs up on their vaccinations and will have the info over at the new dog boarding facility in case I need to leave them there for a day or two. Kitty won't like it but will be fine with a couple bowls of food and water and a couple litter boxes.

Welcome new ladies! I love reading about your lives and goals. You fit right in here!

Well, I went to the foot doc today. I have metatarsalgia. He said I was the second patient he'd seen already that day with it - and I was in there at 8 am! He said part of the problem was my tight calves so the foot doesn't strike right. Well, doing deep calf stretches with my toes perched on a step is what got me into this predicament so I'm to do calf stretches with feet flat on the floor from here on out.

NO walking for 4 weeks! NO going barefoot. NO sloppy slippers. NO strength training for 4 weeks. WHAT??? Well, I said I don't put a lot of pressure on my foot when I do my little routine so he said OK. No jumping jacks, obviously. I promised I would not do the stair-stepper. (I don't use it anyhow so that's like giving up robbing banks for Lent but hey, it was a point in my favor.)

Will be icing my foot 4 times a day. Bought some New Balance orthotics per the doc and if my New Balance shoes don't work, he said try some Hoka's. He said the New Balance orthotics often do the trick and are much cheaper than the custom ones - tho they do wear out quicker.

He said if I don't comply, I am at risk for a stress fracture and that will really cramp my style.

There was good news - the X-rays didn't show any arthritis so once I get this problem cleared up, I should be OK.

I fell way off the wagon today. Candy. Chips. Candy. Pastry.

But, tomorrow will be a better day. Just gotta get back on that horse.

Have a good evening ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    edited February 2018
    Options
    "lhscapil wrote: »
    Well, I went to the foot doc today. I have metatarsalgia. He said I was the second patient he'd seen already that day with it - and I was in there at 8 am! He said part of the problem was my tight calves so the foot doesn't strike right. Well, doing deep calf stretches with my toes perched on a step is what got me into this predicament so I'm to do calf stretches with feet from here on out.

NO walking for 4 weeks! NO going barefoot. NO sloppy slippers. NO strength training for 4 weeks. WHAT??? Well, I said I don't put a lot of pressure on my foot when I do my little routine so he said OK. No jumping jacks, obviously. I promised I would not do the stair-stepper. (I don't use it anyhow so that's like giving up robbing banks for Lent but hey, it was a point in my favor.)

Will be icing my foot 4 times a day. Bought some New Balance orthotics per the doc and if my New Balance shoes don't work, he said try some Hoka's. He said the New Balance orthotics often do the trick and are much cheaper than the custom ones - tho they do wear out quicker.

He said if I don't comply, I am at risk for a stress fracture and that will really cramp my style.

There was good news - the X-rays didn't show any arthritis so once I get this problem cleared up, I should be OK.

If I'm not mistaken metatarsalgia is often caused by wearing high heels ... so I can see how doing calf stretches the way you were could trigger it.

It's also something of an issue for cyclists. If we don't have our cleats set up correctly, we can get something we call "hot foot" which is essentially the early stages of metatarsalgia. For us, we need to move our cleats back as far as they can go and that usually solves the problem.

I hope yours resolves soon!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I should be studying ... or working ... or both.

But we've evacuated our building twice now due to some fault in the alarm system and I haven't been able to get going on anything!

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    <3Lanette, I know how hard it will be for you to modify your exercise routine. I would be bonkers if I couldn't walk for four weeks. Even after my spine surgery, I was allowed to walk and expected to walk a little more each day. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you during this trying time.

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Stopping by to say welcome to the new girls.
    Michele- saw the launch on tv and it was very exciting, can’t imagine how exciting it would be to be there.
    Barbie - sending good wishes for Jakes back surgery. \
    Hands are so cold I can’t type, going to sit by the fireplace.’
    SueBDew in TX