Options

Replies

• abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    abbyjack2 wrote: »
    I am 42 years old, trying to lose 20 lbs . Seem to be stuck at 156 lbs. My goal weight is 140. Seems even with the logging what I eat, being active, working out, eating healthy, nothing seems to work. Starting to think there is no hope..short of eating nothing...not sure what else to do.

I was going to take a peek at your diary to see if I had any suggestions, but you have it private. How long have you been stuck at 156? Where did your goal weight of 140 come from? Are you taking measurements and pictures as well as weighing? Are you weighing everything your eat (even pre-packaged and condiments)?

I changed my diary settings so people can see it. My goal weight I picked because that was the weight I had been at before having kids. A year ago my weight was at 149 lbs and it ballooned up to 161 at New Years. My weight seems to fluctuate between 156-159. I even went alcohol free the month of January hoping it would jump start my weigh loss, but to me, it had minimal effect. I started last week doing jillian michel's revolution work outs hoping it'll help me get more toned, build some muscle and lose some weight.

It's still not public. Do you have clothes from before you had kids that you can use to gauge your progress? The reason I ask is that body composition can change over time and you can sometimes weigh more yet still look the same/fit clothes, etc. I can still fit in my clothes from 20 years ago, but I weigh 10lbs more.

Ok, I think I changed my diary setting so people can see it. I still fit into some of my clothes, but they do fit tighter than they used to. Pants that used to be lose on me are now snug/tight. Pants that I needed belts for, now I don't need a belt.

Got it this time! OK, it doesn't look like you are accurately measuring, more like estimating or going by cups/packaged amounts. There's nothing inherently wrong with that unless you come to a place like you are where you are inadvertently maintaining. So what may be good enough for maintaining, needs to be tightened up for losing. Most likely you are eating more calories than you think. You can either A) start weighing EVERYTHING you put in your mouth or B ) just make a small 250 calorie adjustment down with your estimate logging and see if that moves things.

I could see a couple easy wins. Swap cauliflower rice for rice and zoodles for spaghetti. Make a meat sauce or meatballs with lean ground turkey. You could drop a snack or glass of wine. Just one of those small changes would help lower your overall calories without changing the amounts you eat too much. Are you full on the amount you are eating now? Does three larger meals a day work for you?

I do agree that I do some estimating on amounts, but not everything. I am not a fan of cauliflower so not sure how I would like cauliflower rice. I usually drink wine just on the weekends, but I had a hankering for a glass last night. I will have to see if I have a food scale somewhere. probably won't hurt to weigh my food and see what a proper serving size is.
  • mcveym
    mcveym Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been reading over some of the comments on here and I've seen some really great advice. I am 43 and since Oct. I have lost 40lbs. I still need to lose some more, but for the past few months I have been staying around the same. I'll lose a few pounds one week and then the next week I'll gain a few pounds. I just need to get back into my walking routine. I just walk a few times a week for about 40 mins.

Feel free to add me.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am 42 years old, trying to lose 20 lbs . Seem to be stuck at 156 lbs. My goal weight is 140. Seems even with the logging what I eat, being active, working out, eating healthy, nothing seems to work. Starting to think there is no hope..short of eating nothing...not sure what else to do.

I was going to take a peek at your diary to see if I had any suggestions, but you have it private. How long have you been stuck at 156? Where did your goal weight of 140 come from? Are you taking measurements and pictures as well as weighing? Are you weighing everything your eat (even pre-packaged and condiments)?

I changed my diary settings so people can see it. My goal weight I picked because that was the weight I had been at before having kids. A year ago my weight was at 149 lbs and it ballooned up to 161 at New Years. My weight seems to fluctuate between 156-159. I even went alcohol free the month of January hoping it would jump start my weigh loss, but to me, it had minimal effect. I started last week doing jillian michel's revolution work outs hoping it'll help me get more toned, build some muscle and lose some weight.

It's still not public. Do you have clothes from before you had kids that you can use to gauge your progress? The reason I ask is that body composition can change over time and you can sometimes weigh more yet still look the same/fit clothes, etc. I can still fit in my clothes from 20 years ago, but I weigh 10lbs more.

Ok, I think I changed my diary setting so people can see it. I still fit into some of my clothes, but they do fit tighter than they used to. Pants that used to be lose on me are now snug/tight. Pants that I needed belts for, now I don't need a belt.

Got it this time! OK, it doesn't look like you are accurately measuring, more like estimating or going by cups/packaged amounts. There's nothing inherently wrong with that unless you come to a place like you are where you are inadvertently maintaining. So what may be good enough for maintaining, needs to be tightened up for losing. Most likely you are eating more calories than you think. You can either A) start weighing EVERYTHING you put in your mouth or B ) just make a small 250 calorie adjustment down with your estimate logging and see if that moves things.

I could see a couple easy wins. Swap cauliflower rice for rice and zoodles for spaghetti. Make a meat sauce or meatballs with lean ground turkey. You could drop a snack or glass of wine. Just one of those small changes would help lower your overall calories without changing the amounts you eat too much. Are you full on the amount you are eating now? Does three larger meals a day work for you?

I do agree that I do some estimating on amounts, but not everything. I am not a fan of cauliflower so not sure how I would like cauliflower rice. I usually drink wine just on the weekends, but I had a hankering for a glass last night. I will have to see if I have a food scale somewhere. probably won't hurt to weigh my food and see what a proper serving size is.

Please understand I'm not saying this in any negative way, but if you have to see if you have a food scale somewhere, you aren't accurately measuring anything other than liquids. Again, nothing wrong with that. My husband is not a fan of cauliflower, but actually doesn't mind cauliflower rice. It's all an experiment to find out what you like and don't and what you are willing to compromise on or not. For myself, I found that I can live without bread, rice and pasta so that I can bank those calories/carbs/fats to use on chips, dessert and the occasional soft drink. So the majority of my meals are lean protein and veggies. @Grammytryingtogetfit has said that she needs to have enough calories left over each day to have a beer. Some people would rather have 1/4 cup real ice cream instead of a pint of Halo Top. We all have different likes/dislikes and it's finding what works for you to allow you to lose weight while not feeling like it's a sacrifice. And to be able to keep it up for a lifetime.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options

Please understand I'm not saying this in any negative way, but if you have to see if you have a food scale somewhere, you aren't accurately measuring anything other than liquids. Again, nothing wrong with that. My husband is not a fan of cauliflower, but actually doesn't mind cauliflower rice. It's all an experiment to find out what you like and don't and what you are willing to compromise on or not. For myself, I found that I can live without bread, rice and pasta so that I can bank those calories/carbs/fats to use on chips, dessert and the occasional soft drink. So the majority of my meals are lean protein and veggies. @Grammytryingtogetfit has said that she needs to have enough calories left over each day to have a beer. Some people would rather have 1/4 cup real ice cream instead of a pint of Halo Top. We all have different likes/dislikes and it's finding what works for you to allow you to lose weight while not feeling like it's a sacrifice. And to be able to keep it up for a lifetime.

All of what you have posted is well said!!!!! I also agree you have weigh your food until you can et an idea of portion control, first and foremost!!!! I can eyeball now too, but in the beginning I was totally shocked at what I had really been eating, OH LORDY!!!!!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    @mcveym It's all about CICO! Don't get me wrong exercise is GREAT for you but not necessary for weight loss.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I third the food scale! For example, the two ingredient dough calls for a cup of flour, which people assume is 4 oz, when you weigh out a cup, not even a packed one, it's 5 oz. that's an extra 110 calories at least right there. There's a video about measuring vs weighing and how much difference it can be. Eyeballing is even further off from that. I've been doing this for years and still weigh everything. It's just a habit now and takes 2 seconds to do. Imagine if you ate four things a day off by 50-100 calories, bye bye deficit.
  • melissa6771
    Options
    @mom23mangos I answered you on my post about the steak bomb ingredients. I just ate the movie night enlightened. It's sooooo good! Better than any halo top I have tried. I'm an enlightened person from here on out. Next up matshmallow peanut butter when I find it. The butter flavor is subtle. It's way creamier. I nuked it for 15 seconds, slid it out of the container and cut it into the four servings. Lol this way I don't have to melt it too much to get some out.

n4f8eg05c61r.jpg
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    phyw8lo2uqxe.png
    TGIF Lovely Ladies :)
    Here's to a Terrific Friday!!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    OK, @melissa6771, I'm going to have to try that one now if I find it. I'm actually not a huge fan of Enlightened. I still prefer Halo Top and the calories are better. My Mint Chip staple is 240 for the pint. For some reason the only place I can find Enlightened pints is at Sprouts.

Made this for dinner last night and it was amazing. The chicken was so tender and juicy. When I make it again I think I'm going to leave off the Guyere cheese for a lower calorie option. You couldn't really taste it anyway once it got mixed in.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58148/french-onion-chicken-recipe/
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For dinner tonight, going to make grilled salmon. Anyone have any good recipes for grilled salmon? Always looking for new ideas. thanks,
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    @mom23mangos , That looks delicious!!!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    For dinner tonight, going to make grilled salmon. Anyone have any good recipes for grilled salmon? Always looking for new ideas. thanks,

Checkout eatingwell.com, delish.com, yummly.com, just to name a few. I'm sure there are some good ideas.
    Happy Friday!
  • smith_tl33
    smith_tl33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    May not be in season, but salmon is good with mango salsa/salad.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    edited April 2018
    Options
    smith_tl33 wrote: »
    How many of you have actually reached the “If everyday were like today you will weigh # in 5 weeks” weight? According to that I should have reached my goal weight 1 year ago.

HAHA, I hear you. It's so very deceiving isn't it! I guess they have to keep us on our toes :)

• melissa6771
    Options
    @smith_tl33 probably nobody has reached that! That's why I didn't close my diary for a long time. It was discouraging. Now I don't give a hoot. Screw that stupid message. Lol
  • emorningstar
    emorningstar Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Aloha, I’m 47 and live in Hawaii. I lost about 20 with MFP a few years ago, But had some health challenges the last year and a half, I had to take steroids for a while, I’m on thyroid medication, and have Lupus.... and at my last doctors appointment I couldn’t believe what the scale showed… I wear a lot of yoga/stretchy type clothes so I didn’t really discern how much I had gained! I knew I had gained weight but not THAT MUCH ! (I was hoping the scale was broken… But alas no ) I am also using Fitbit to track my steps and trying to increase them every day… Please add me if you’d like to help each other stay motivated ... my goal is to lose about 70 pounds and get down to the goal weight where I was four years ago.
  • Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Just turned 48 Feel amazing!!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Happy Sunday Fabulous Ladies!!!!
  • Smee888
    Smee888 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Turning 44 this year and it's my second time here about 6 years back. Really need to update my profile as I don't look like my profile anymore. Defo need to lose 1 stone 8lbs. I'm the fattest I've ever been and it's not a good feeling...

Please feel free to add me as I would love the support and motivation! Thanks! X