• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Machka & Laura - Happy Birthday <3 Have a fantastic year Celebrating <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: I'm sorry that your allergies are acting up. Are they pollen related? I can't imagine a big mold & mildew problem in the area where you are staying, although I suppose it is possible. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I was curious about lamb and flageolet stew so I looked it up online. It looks yummy. I think DH would love it. I'm not a big bean eater, but the recipes I saw look good, and the photo with green beans as a side dish won my heart. :star:

Lisa: Your chicken salad sounds wonderful. Yay for your DH! What a nice thing to do. :smiley:

Julie in Eastern NC: I know that people use Apple watches to track fitness, but I don't actually know anyone who has one. It seems like you're getting great information and encouragement. Good for you! :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I hope you feel better every day. :heart:

Lanette: I hope you get more useful information from your next allergy tests. My allergies are mostly food related although I have had nasty reactions to Scotch Broom in bloom. I see less and less of it in our area. I think they've made a point of getting rid of it. It isn't native to our area and causes a lot of allergies in people. Good luck. :star:

Peach & Lanette: I agree with you both about the social challenges that seem to come with retirement. We had lots of sailing friends and I'm still marginally connected with them, but since DH won't/can't go on the boat we're not actively involved with them any more. It is a big loss. I have regular contact with people from yoga classes, and they're a mix of men and women, mostly 50+. The fitness club is full of retired folks in the mornings. The younger set takes evening classes. I'm making new friends at the stable and that is a blessing. You might be surprised at how many "old women" are out there riding horses and taking lessons. The vast majority of my fellow students are women 50+. I'm picturing two very active groups--4H'ers and 50+. When the cutting horse classes are offered I also see a few young males & younger women. :flowerforyou:

wgail8464: You've found a good place for support. Come back often and get to know people. :star:

(((Barbie))) I hope the tests go well and lead to improvements in Jake's health. Sometimes different meds can make a huge difference in quality of life. :heart:

Heather: You are making great progress in regards to alcohol and are both thoughtful and mindful about it. I'm committed to change as well. I'm not as successful at cutting back as I'd like. I'm not sure I can actually succeed unless I quit altogether. I've done it before with the help of Celestial Seasoning Peppermint Tea. It is a lovely evening drink and I plan to use it as my evening relaxer. :star:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I adore my DDIL but am not as thrilled with DSIL. Neither of them spends time complaining to me about their partners--my son & daughter. I don't know what I'd do about it if I were in your situation. If you simply say nothing in response, do you suppose she'd catch the hint? She ought to be working on her dissatisfactions by trying for compromises with your DS rather than by complaining to you. :noway:

Machka: I LOVE this: "Some call it multi-tasking, I call it doing something else while I try to remember what I was doing in the first place." :bigsmile:

Janetr: Sending good thoughts for your DGS: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Rye: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :star::bigsmile: :star:

Angie: Welcome to a great group. :flowerforyou:

We have a gorgeous and sunny morning, and I want to find a way to enjoy it. Maybe DH & I can take the dog for a walk a bit later in the day. It is too cold right now & the dog is at the groomer.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Discover What Your Name Means Day!

"Discover What Your Name Means Day takes place during International Celebrate Your Name Week. It is a day to learn what your name and the names of others mean. There are many sources on the internet that can help you learn the history of names and what they mean. The day may also be used to give your name its own meaning—one that reflects who you are."

Michelle - I'm with you, just about anything homemade is better than the packaged variety. Cake icing especially!

Juliemouse - Ooh, Hot Hula sounds like fun! Wish we had a hula class of any kind around here. But take it easy on that knee!

Becca - I love your dancing exercise. What a lovely way to get in some movement! I only manage to "dance like nobody is watching" when nobody is watching.

Janet - Congratulations to your grandson, and to you for taking such good care of yourself!

Laura - Hope you are feeling better soon, and can enjoy your time with your granddaughter.

Rye - What a huge accomplishment! Congratulations on officially being a "normal" weight!

Angie - Sympathies on your injury. I had an accident nearly two years ago now, and was stunned to discover how fast my overall conditioning went downhill after a month of incapacity. Not to mention how long it took to get it back!

I'm still on names today. The internet says "Yvonne" is a feminine variant of "Yves," which was the name of two French saints. Or it's the feminine of "Ives," meaning archer's bow. Not very interesting, bue people do occasionally comment on the two French names in front of an Irish surname. (My first name is Camille.)

It's a beautiful day here. Too nice to sit inside at a desk, but at least I have a good window.

All the best to you today!

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,423 Member
    Options
    It's hump day!

Rye - thank you for explaining more about the hula hoop. DUH, I didn't realize there were such things as weighted hoops, altho I'm sure those of you using them have mentioned it several times. Other than bruises, have any of you who are using them had trouble with back sprain/strain? I never was coordinated enough to use the little plastic hula hoop when I was a kid, main exercise was picking it up off the floor like Wendy mentions. Maybe I'd have better luck with a weighted one? HHmm....

Janetr
    - wonderful story about your Grandson. What great news that he's found a special gal and you'll be at the wedding, both of you celebrating your successes <3

Heather - interesting about your cleaner - what a nice gift for her! I need to get back in the "clean out" and donate mode. Isn't it interesting to see what we have hidden away? I think I have 2 boxes of mis-matched old plastic containers that just need to GO into the garbage or recycle! Old plastics aren't good anyhow because of the chemicals in them from what I've read.

Terry - prayers going out for your cousin's wife and her family.

Yvonne
    - how fascinating about names. I finally looked mine up. It was popular in the late 40's - I was born in '51 so it wasn't unheardof back then. Possibly Welsh origin.

Katla
    - when I was allergy tested ten years ago, scotch broom was also high my list too. And we are surrounded by it here. That and cottonwood and ryegrass as I recall. And house dust. What really needs attention is whatever is lurking in potting soil and the greenhouse which closes my throat - losing my voice and wheezing just started last spring and I don't want to endure the summer with an inhaler if I can help it. Does your DH miss the social life or is he content to stick around home? My DH says me and the dogs and the cat are all the socializing he needs. Sheesh. I should be flattered? LOL! I'm heading to town after lunch to get some human contact! ;)

Rita - speaking of allergies, so glad you are doing better. I've always heard the desert is great for people with allergies because it doesn't have the molds and plants we have up north here. But, dust is dust I reckon.

My friend who is still at Public Works said she'd talk to the supervisor about creating that little part-time job I was thinking about. After I retired, some of my duties were dumped on her. She too is part-time plus has missed a lot of work due to migraines and her duties are getting behind. So, we'll see.

Have a good day everyone!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yvonne: According to the internet my name means "pure." I don't have a middle name. I think Camille is a lovely name. Your mom did a great job giving you two excellent names. :star:

Terry: Sending good thoughts for your cousin & his wife. :heart:

Rita: What is your next travel destination? Have you chosen one already? :huh:

Lanette: DH has two good friends here in the neighborhood. One lives just a few doors away and the other lives in a floating home that is close by. Both stop by to see him now and then. All three love fishing, but DH isn't able to do it for himself anymore. There is a lake where people fish for trout in the season that is about 30 miles away. I wonder whether DH would be interested in fishing there. The movement of the water in his vision can be a trigger, even when he is ashore on solid ground. I don't know whether there will ever be an improvement. :sad: Good luck on the possible part time job. :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    What I found is, Janet is a medieval diminutive of Jane. Jane originates in Hebrew language and means "God is merciful". I love this. <3

Janetr OKC