Do we go nowhere ?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    sarahbums wrote: »
    yep. I think being dead is just....nothingness. The same as before we're born.

to me the point of life is just to try to leave the world a little better off than you found it. and that can mean something different for everyone.

But what's the point if we all disappear? Why would a dead person care if the world is better?

Why would a soul in heaven or in hell care if the world is better than it was with them in it?

But it gives some meaning to the world, a reason to be here, a lesson to be learnt. Without pain there wouldn't be reliefe. Without hate their wouldn't be love. Opposites. Lessons to be learnt, choices to be made, roads to go down. Why don't you just go and become a drug addict and throw your life away ? Or become a thief and rob people? Maybe it wasn't your destiny or maybe, you just don't chose to go down that path but maybe, it was because your chose not to. Why did you chose not to ? Probably cos you know your a good person. Where does that goodness come from? We are in a world full of hate so where does that hate come from ?

Many religious people go down those roads. why would a priest molest a child? why are most wars that happened due to religion? If anything, I think the world would be a much better place if there were no religions to divide us more than we are already divided. division seems to bring the worst out in people
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    No one has said why they don't believe ...

Is there a reason to why you don't want to believe .

Are you mad at God ?
    Do you feel you are not worth is love ?

[ which god should I believe in?

The one that's not going to read your post and then kick your *kitten* ?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    denny_mac wrote: »
    sarahbums wrote: »
    yep. I think being dead is just....nothingness. The same as before we're born.

to me the point of life is just to try to leave the world a little better off than you found it. and that can mean something different for everyone.

But what's the point if we all disappear? Why would a dead person care if the world is better?

Why would a soul in heaven or in hell care if the world is better than it was with them in it?

But it gives some meaning to the world, a reason to be here, a lesson to be learnt. Without pain there wouldn't be reliefe. Without hate their wouldn't be love. Opposites. Lessons to be learnt, choices to be made, roads to go down. Why don't you just go and become a drug addict and throw your life away ? Or become a thief and rob people? Maybe it wasn't your destiny or maybe, you just don't chose to go down that path but maybe, it was because your chose not to. Why did you chose not to ? Probably cos you know your a good person. Where does that goodness come from? We are in a world full of hate so where does that hate come from ?

Many religious people go down those roads. why would a priest molest a child? why are most wars that happened due to religion? If anything, I think the world would be a much better place if there were no religions to divide us more than we are already divided. division seems to bring the worst out in people

Well.... secular humanity has a pretty crummy track record too.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    seriously? what is the purpose of life if there is nothing else after. the question answers itself. I don't believe in god/s and I don't know what happens after this trip (neither do you) so I choose to live this life to the fullest.
    Tomorrow will take care of itself.
    ~Matthew 6:34

“All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be.”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Big talk from some guy living by a stupid pond.

Sticks and stone buddy...

giphy.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    seriously? what is the purpose of life if there is nothing else after. the question answers itself. I don't believe in god/s and I don't know what happens after this trip (neither do you) so I choose to live this life to the fullest.

“All men want, not something to do with, but something to do, or rather something to be.”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

giphy.gif

Is that Kingman I see ?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    People would literally make them up overnight.

I have some ideas for one or two.

I damn sure do.
  • ChaelAZ
    Options

― Henry David Thoreau

giphy.gif

Is that Kingman I see ?

Seven Springs out past Cave Creek.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

― Henry David Thoreau

giphy.gif

Is that Kingman I see ?

Seven Springs out past Cave Creek.

Natch
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Walden’s Pond was the first book where I argued out loud with the author. He’s still forcing me to re-think my base assumptions. Did we really need the railroad to tear across America? There are days I wonder.

On one point Thoreau was dead wrong. Neck fuzz is not an attractive look on anyone.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/historicalfacialhair.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/henry-david-thoreau-and-the-neckbeard-mid-1800s/amp/
  • ChaelAZ
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Walden’s Pond was the first book where I argued out loud with the author. He’s still forcing me to re-think my base assumptions.

I read this in AP English, 7th grade. It was at the height of my Catholic RE classes. It (Transcendentalism) played a huge role in my NOT being confirmed. It lead me to other Philosophies, religions, and this life long journey I have been on with my own spiritualism. To this day I still go back to those books and read through.

A personal favorite is still Ben Franklins work and writing on religion. He was about spiritualism, but not about doctrine.
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

Going back to the original question and the user I quoted above:
    I also don’t believe in god/gods and I’m a big believer of the idea that we only die once. But my view is that I don’t think there IS any big meaning to life anyway; We each have to make our own meaning.
    In light of this, some of us choose to make our own individual meanings while others choose to group together with other people and to “create” a religion to give a common meaning to their lives.
    I don’t think either way is right or wrong, but there are certainly a lot of proven drawbacks to society when it comes to organized religion.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    satan is not "even" w Christ. command satan to leave in jesus name...and he has to. I think the bible should really be studied a bit more before we all start...sayin stuff lol.
  • ChaelAZ
    Options
    sgreer29 wrote: »
    ...some of us choose to make our own individual meanings while others choose to group together with other people and to “create” a religion to give a common meaning to their lives.
    I don’t think either way is right or wrong, but there are certainly a lot of proven drawbacks to society when it comes to organized religion.

"Thanks"