Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    So my April goal was to be AF and lose 8 lbs. I lost a whopping 2.2 lbs and was AF 20 of 30 days. Not exactly what I was aiming for but better than it could have been. Happy May Day everyone!

That’s great! 2 lbs a week is the most aggressive rate of loss recommended and its usually only for people that have more than 75 lbs to lose. Losing 2 lbs in a month and having 2/3 of the month AF is awesome!
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JenT304 wrote: »
    So my April goal was to be AF and lose 8 lbs. I lost a whopping 2.2 lbs and was AF 20 of 30 days. Not exactly what I was aiming for but better than it could have been. Happy May Day everyone!

That’s great! 2 lbs a week is the most aggressive rate of loss recommended and its usually only for people that have more than 75 lbs to lose. Losing 2 lbs in a month and having 2/3 of the month AF is awesome!

Agreed. Don't sell yourself short. If I can do that this month, I'll do a cart-wheel, and it won't be pretty! (especially the 2 of 3 days dry).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting back for a few weeks now and am committed to keeping it up through May. We have a new baby at home and it's a bit more stressful than I imagined it would be...the drink tallys were definitely trending higher.

Since I quit smoking about 5 months ago I found that my body regularly craves something starting around 6PM. Before I quit smoking, I would just have a cigarette and call it done. Now that I don't smoke, I found that this craving can be satisfied with either food or drinks. It's very weird.

Either way, my main mechanism to reduce alcohol has been to not let myself have a drink until after dinner. Whereas I really feel like I want a drink before I eat (or while I'm preparing dinner), that desire tends to go away after I've eaten. I'm not sure I understand it, but I'm sure it has something to do with 'depriving' myself on multiple fronts at the same time (smoking, food, and alcohol). My goal is to continue to limit drinks to 2 nights a week and even then to keep those nights at a reasonable 2 drinks or so.

Best of luck everyone.

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @DX2JX2, I don't understand it either, but the best way I have found to deal with an alcohol craving is to eat a little something--not overdo it but just a couple of crackers with peanut butter to get a little protein and sustenance. There must be a scientific reason, but I don't know what it is. I had powerful cravings last night but did just that and made it through Day 8 safely. Celebrating Day 9 today. Day 10 "reward" will be a cappuccino at the Italian-owned-and-run place I discovered last week. When I had the awesome gelato they promised their cappuccino would rock my world. Rewards motivate me!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    glad to see so many friends back here

Ditto,Norm! Good luck to you Wedndesday!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yay, @TripMom! Day 1 is huge.
  • Xtina49
    Xtina49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First day here! Limiting alcohol intake to eat healthier and get in shape for my wedding in September. If you’re looking for motivation or encouragement, I got you!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @carenrscott wow- those ideas were truly gems! Your thoughts and reflections were spot on. Thanks so much for sharing- I will reread these to let them sink in. You've got wisdom. Xo
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm with @WinoGelato all the way. I didn't even have to bother writing out my goals. She did it for me. I drank one day last weekend and the two glasses of wine left me with a headache and feeling pretty subpar the next day. I am pretty content with my shift to "occasion" drinking, though, instead of drinking Fri-Sun because . . . I have no idea. But, wow, if I can't handle two glasses of wine my tolerance has sunk to a new low. I'm going on a five-day cruise May 14 with time before and after in Miami. So I know I will drink, but am pondering how to be reasonable. You experienced cruise people fire away, but I need to try to pre game this a bit. Those guys that walk through the water to serve you coco locos are a bit hard to resist, I gotta say.
  • cammeer
    cammeer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @kittybenn Have fun on your cruise, and all the luck resisting those drinks!! It's so hard on cruises and in other situations like that. I've resigned myself to having some drinks on vacay, because it's usually part of embracing those moments (unless you're someone who needs to or is trying to completely abstain). I had to cut most sugar out of my life years ago, so I had to retrain myself how to drink. Froofy drinks are completely out of the question--there are just too many additives (and they make me sick to my stomach now). Even in those tropical drink situations, you can find modifications. Now, granted, sugar is sugar is sugar. But to make myself feel better about it, I ask for a glass of dry wine, a gin and club soda (no tonic) with extra limes or lemons, a nice rum or whiskey on the rocks, or I have the bartender modify a marg or other basic cocktail to leave out the simple syrup, rose's lime juice, or other sneaky sugars. It's always ok to ask what's in a drink. & If they don't know, they need to know.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    I'm with @WinoGelato all the way. I didn't even have to bother writing out my goals. She did it for me. I drank one day last weekend and the two glasses of wine left me with a headache and feeling pretty subpar the next day. I am pretty content with my shift to "occasion" drinking, though, instead of drinking Fri-Sun because . . . I have no idea. But, wow, if I can't handle two glasses of wine my tolerance has sunk to a new low. I'm going on a five-day cruise May 14 with time before and after in Miami. So I know I will drink, but am pondering how to be reasonable. You experienced cruise people fire away, but I need to try to pre game this a bit. Those guys that walk through the water to serve you coco locos are a bit hard to resist, I gotta say.

I went to an all inclusive back in March and was also apprehensive that I'd totally blow my mindful moderation plans. I definitely drank more - but I really paced myself, alternating a water or NA drink for every alcoholic drink. I never felt drunk or like I over did it - so I'm sure you can do the same on the cruise! But you're right, the frozen drinks are super hard to resist especially when the pool boys just keep coming around!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »

I went to an all inclusive back in March and was also apprehensive that I'd totally blow my mindful moderation plans. I definitely drank more - but I really paced myself, alternating a water or NA drink for every alcoholic drink. I never felt drunk or like I over did it - so I'm sure you can do the same on the cruise! But you're right, the frozen drinks are super hard to resist especially when the pool boys just keep coming around!

Oh and quoting myself for silliness sake - it helped me that my husband doesn't drink and we were with the kids - so they were putting those pool boys and bartenders through their virgin drink making paces. We had virgin pina coladas and daquiris coming around just as much as my fully loaded mudslides and margaritas. So that's also an option as well @kittybenn
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My May goals:
    1. Continue to practice Mindful Moderation
    2. Stay away from the slippery slope of consecutive drinks and consecutive days drinking, even in moderate amounts, what I’m calling Mindless Moderation.
    3. More total days alcohol free than drinking - that hasn’t happened since February. March and April both had weeks with vacation and work trips that I didn’t adhere to my plan of abstaining during the week and only drinking on weekends.

Good luck to all and welcome to new members!

I am right here with you, Jan and Feb were good, April was a slippery slope. May I hope to get back to moderation and not an everyday event. I can come up with any excuse to have a drink in the evening, its warm out, sun is out, crappy rain, stress at work, Its Thursday, it's Friday, I am happy, I am sad.....I think you can get the picture. Welcome May!