Ericabayer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I need this too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Yay for May.

First goal is to skip my scheduled allowance on the 6th. As some of you know I have not been loving the almost commitment I have felt towards my allowance days. My second goal is no hard liquor this month at all. On the 20th I plan to stick with wine which I have never had more than 2 glasses in one sitting in the history of my drinking. Now that I say that I hope that is true on the 20th. Ah well... have to live and learn... right?

I see @janejellyroll is here. I can't trust anyone who likes cake more than pie. :tongue:

We all have our flaws! :p
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Either way, my main mechanism to reduce alcohol has been to not let myself have a drink until after dinner. Whereas I really feel like I want a drink before I eat (or while I'm preparing dinner), that desire tends to go away after I've eaten. I'm not sure I understand it, but I'm sure it has something to do with 'depriving' myself on multiple fronts at the same time (smoking, food, and alcohol).

For me, the reason is because I'm hungry and I sooth hunger with drink. The earlier I eat dinner, the more successful I am in moderation. :smiley:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    nrwilhelm wrote: »
    I'd love to hear advice on how to move away from the feeling of needing alcohol to unwind on the weekend. It's caused some unneeded rifts in my relationship as well as help stalled my weight loss!

If you are like me, which you probably are not. You might ask yourself if that is a convenient lie to justify drinking or if you really need it to unwind? I never liked my own reason so this was a lie I would tell myself. For instance my family can be stressful and after they visited I might say "after that I need a drink" but the truth was I was going to drink anyway.

If I were being really honest with myself I would say that there have been less than a dozen times over the years (I am counting 4 right now) that I actually self-medicated due to super high anxiety.

That is not to say you are lying to yourself. Different people have different situations. I am just voicing my experience.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    @donimfp Crap. I am close to tearing up.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    JonCo1980 wrote: »
    I'm in on an alcohol-free May.

I've been wanting to cut down for a while, and now that I'm back on MFP again, I see all the extra calories I've been drinking. Plus, I always feel better when I give myself a break.

Welcome! Somehow it is easier to hit a goal when you put it out there like you have. Sounds like you have experience skipping a month but if you want to talk about it you will find this thread very supportive and understanding. After all, they haven't kicked me out yet.
  • fitinitin
    fitinitin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I have been stuck in a rut. My routine when I get home is two glasses of scotch on the rocks. Then a half bottle of wine and a craft beer to finish. I have started getting up at 4:30 to run now that the weather has improved. That in turn will hopefully decrease my intake. I guess I am not really trying yet but I am thinking about it.

Think the morning run will only help with reducing alcohol dependence if for no other reason than you’ll run further, faster, harder. That will motivate you to keep at it. More NAD+ going to good use and not to metabolizing alcohol.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,193 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    https://www.alcoholexperiment.com/home

For those of you who like a specific plan or need some structure for your May , here is the link to the 30 day challenge with Annie Grace, the author of This Naked Mind.
    For anyone trying to cut back, best wishes. I think there's only 2 percent of the population who simply cannot moderate (hey , that's me! ). So, most of you can moderate successfully. I love how you're all writing down your goals on this thread or even write it on paper. Moderation is a great way to cut calories and reduce that belly bloat. Keep us updated. We love hearing from all of you. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Here's a guy I listen to when I need motivation. His name is Kevin O'Hara and he is always hiking and breathing hard (LOL) when he speaks, but he has some good wisdom.
    https://youtu.be/Qiueo1nVyF8
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    One more video. This is Craig Beck , the Stop Drinking Expert and author of Alcohol Lied to Me.
    He's a straight talker and this is more for people who cannot moderate. But if you want some motivation, listen to some of these videos.
    https://youtu.be/T3eIiS-Rl4k