Less Alcohol- May 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @kpsyche, thanks for that insight. I can’t imagine not thinking about alcohol fairly regularly but apparently there’s hope!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't drunk alcohol since January 31. Three months or more, and I forgot to commemorate it till now!

(I used to drink a beer and one or two glasses of wine every day.)

Enjoying my streak, and not worrying about if/when I will end it.

Canuk2015 wrote: »
    I've been pretty much drinking a bottle of wine every night for the last 4 years. The most I've gone is 2 nights of no alcohol. Every morning I regret it and try to recall what I binge ate after the bottle is gone and I go to bed. I'm disgusted with myself and the weight I have gained as a result. I'm joining this group for motivation and inspiration because I feel like I'm ready and need to change. I'm 43. widowed, mom to 3 kids

@Canuk2015 Hugs, and welcome. Your post jumped out at me.

One of the main things that got me to really start thinking about having a break from alcohol was something a friend on MFP said, which I've mentioned in earlier threads.

Be kind to "Tomorrow You".

Don't lumber yourself with feeling terrible or feeling guilty in the morning.

The same person who is having another, and another, and another drink, is the same person who will wake up feeling like crap.

Pay it forward to yourself. You'd be kind to a stranger. Be kind to Tomorrow You.

cammeer wrote: »
    As someone whose hobbies are growing hops, brewing, winemaking, cidermaking (cider and beer always on tap in the house), drinking in moderation is a lifestyle and a daily challenge for me. I don't like the feeling of being drunk, so I'm rarely there...but alcohol calories are still too many calories, and hard on all of your body's systems. I try my best to look at what moderation behaviors look like on a daily basis, and I thought I'd share some of the things that trip me up and/or help me:
    • Alternative drinks like tea: I try to always have some kind of tasty decaf herbal tea in a pitcher in the fridge. This helps with wine cravings, or just wanting to have something in hand if people are over. It can also be mixed into a weaker cocktail or wine spritzer if the flavors are right.
    • Sparkling water: Always have it on your shopping list. Or on tap. Maybe it sounds gross to you, but I mix sparkling water with cider or wine so I can feel like I'm still having something.
    • Challenge -- Idle drinking while performing chores, hobbies, reading a book, or on a long distance phone call. This is something I've been trying to overcome. Do I seriously need a glass of wine while I garden, stack wood, or play the piano? Absolutely not. I should be completely present. Do I need a glass of wine while talking to my mom? Maybe...but I shouldn't. I can do laundry, take a walk, or have a glass of herbal tea during these phone calls.
    • Challenge -- Friends over. This is a hard one. This house is known for its cocktails and beer, so there is always drinking when people are over. I'm not quite sure yet how to temper this other than putting something else in my hand, or focusing on being a good host and making sure food and music is on point.
    • Challenge -- Remembering that alcohol doesn't really enhance social interactions or cool experiences. Sometimes it does smooth awkward interactions or grease the wheels, but only in moderation; it's a fine line between fun and even more awkward. I never regret being sober or feeling great during those times when good memories get made. But I always regret being the drunk person. Plus, alcohol always complicates getting home from the thing.
    • Drinking should not = relax. I used to have a drink right when I got home from work. And then a couple more either while cooking, while eating dinner, while reading a book before bed. It wouldn't feel like the day was complete unless I finished the drink routine. I've cut this back to one or less than one, and realized how much I was self-medicating from my workday and escaping from the things I wasn't handling in life in general. Now I'm trying to incorporate a hobby, yoga, or music in place of the drink. Idle hands.........

@cammeer Wow, fantastic insights! Needed quoting again for latecomers. Great to have you in here.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Thank you and that is inspiring to me, too @Orphia I like "Pay it forward to yourself. You'd be kind to a stranger. Be kind to Tomorrow You." I have been trying to treat myself better. Treating others better than myself has helped get me to drinking like I was.

Congratulations to everyone on making May goals!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the cruise drinks suggestions. Yes, the sugar, OMG, and excellent point. That's a killer. I still struggle with craving sweets since having an AF January and moderating after that. I'm seriously considering one of those Mark Hyman 10-day detoxes, in which you get to eat nothing fun, and absolutely no sugar or alcohol. I did it once before and made it to day seven, LOL. Of course, this will be AFTER the cruise.

So great to see all the new participants here. Great energy and ideas.
  • jillanne1897
    jillanne1897 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My goal is moderation. It probably should be total abstinence but I just don't feel ready yet. I've progressed from only socially drinking, to a couple beers most nights, to at least a bottle of wine a night, to a bottle of wine plus several shots of vodka in secret. It took 15 years to get to this point. Always craving that unattainable "buzzed, happy, calm" feeling only occasional drinkers can get after a drink or two. Most mornings I have try to remember what unhealthy foods I binged on before going to bed. Last night was half a bag of cool ranch doritos and peanut butter straight from the jar.

Welcome. Do you have a goal set for what "moderation" looks like?

It helped me a lot to pick a "number" or goal. Because otherwise, I was telling myself it was moderate when it really wasn't.

There are probably different ways to approach this, but I found it really helpful to pick a number to define what "moderation" meant to me (for me, it's 1 drink on weeknights and 2 on weekends). I knew some nights I wouldn't live up to my moderation goal, but other nights I would and that gave me a chance to relish the successful nights.

I had not defined my goals! You are so right, moderation can mean many things. I love your suggestion and feel it is doable for me. Last night (day 1) I had 2 glasses of wine. Tonight I am going to try to stick to only 1 glass while cooking dinner. Thank you!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'm actually enjoying sleeping through the night. If I have a few too many in the evening, I tend to wake up at 2AM and not fall back asleep for over an hour.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just Googled "alcohol withdrawal insomnia." Well, duh. It's a thing, for sure. "They" say it can last 4-6 weeks (and "they" should know!). Hopefully that won't be the case. Even so, it's worth it. It's kind of reassuring to learn that my body is just doing what bodies do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My goal is moderation. It probably should be total abstinence but I just don't feel ready yet. I've progressed from only socially drinking, to a couple beers most nights, to at least a bottle of wine a night, to a bottle of wine plus several shots of vodka in secret. It took 15 years to get to this point. Always craving that unattainable "buzzed, happy, calm" feeling only occasional drinkers can get after a drink or two. Most mornings I have try to remember what unhealthy foods I binged on before going to bed. Last night was half a bag of cool ranch doritos and peanut butter straight from the jar.

Welcome. Do you have a goal set for what "moderation" looks like?

It helped me a lot to pick a "number" or goal. Because otherwise, I was telling myself it was moderate when it really wasn't.

There are probably different ways to approach this, but I found it really helpful to pick a number to define what "moderation" meant to me (for me, it's 1 drink on weeknights and 2 on weekends). I knew some nights I wouldn't live up to my moderation goal, but other nights I would and that gave me a chance to relish the successful nights.

I had not defined my goals! You are so right, moderation can mean many things. I love your suggestion and feel it is doable for me. Last night (day 1) I had 2 glasses of wine. Tonight I am going to try to stick to only 1 glass while cooking dinner. Thank you!!

I'm glad you had a good night! Every night I moderate feels good. Maybe not always *during* it, but always at the end of the night and the morning after. :)