Options

Replies

• allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

So I read all this info on fasting, low calorie days, fasting hours and it fills me with dread… I. don’t. fast. I become a grump when my lunch is late. I’m planning dinner on my before breakfast walk… I eat less and lower calorie than I have in years, but I love food. So the dread comes in because in a month I have to have a colonoscopy, and I have to do a liquid diet, of as best I can figure out stuff I hate. I do not like broth, jello, or apple juice. While they have yet to give me the paper work, from what I have heard that’s what is available… so I’ll be just drinking water for a day or two..and I am already working myself up into a tizzy about this. And I can not afford to take time off of work; so I’ll be doing 3-4 hours of gardening everyday… I’m of course not looking forward to the clean you out liquid, but the idea of fasting is dreadful! So the question for all of you, how do you make it on a fast –and/or are you really doing a water only fast?

Smiles

Kim from N. California

I just had my routine one a few month's ago and felt like you did about the fast, but it turned out okay. I worked a regular day and had an awful lot of chicken broth. Clear liquids. I had coffee, but I put powdered creamer in it which they said was okay. I just made sure I always had something liquid (a lot of the broth actually) next to me all the time. Since then and because I fared well with it, I have chosen Fridays as a kind of fast day, but that's neither here nor there.

As far as the prep, it was NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD as I thought. In fact, it was so not bad, I told them I didn't think it did the trick. I felt as though it didn't work because it was not like everyone else has described. There are an awful lot of different prescriptions they can write for the clearing out and the dr. told me each dr. has their "favorite"--well I can see why mine was my dr's favorite. Anyway, they gave me the choice of staying at the center and doing another round, or going into the room and the dr "having a look"--she'd stop if I were not clear. I was clear and the procedure went on uneventfully. I will say my daily diet consists of an awful lot of fiber via raw vegetables and fruits, and was probably too low fat (which I've recently changed). I don't think I had a lot of crap (excuse the pun) in my system to begin with.

I just wanted to relay this to you because it may not be even a quarter as bad as you are thinking.

Jackie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options
    Just saw a school shooting in Huston Texas just happened. Multiple casualties reporting 8 dead. They caught the guy alive, sounded like a student. What is this world coming to!!!!

DH came running in all excited yelling “want to see something?” Grabbed hiss phone and stopped on the top step of the RV. Turned out to be a weather ballon. So cool, but no Roswell incident! Lol.

RV Rita in New Mexico
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,738 Member
    Options
    Well I must say I love watching the royal weddings... But will watch a replay tomorrow night in the theater here at my condo complex.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Heather: I enjoy reading about your food choices. They are so different than I'm familiar with. It is a treat to learn new ideas. :flowerforyou:

Wendy: Your simulated hornet's nest is brilliant. :bigsmile:

Becca: It is great to see you so happy and dedicated to your health! WTG!!! :star:

Rita: I skipped your photo because I have a snake phobia and thank you for posting it as a spoiler. I appreciate the warning and choice. :heart: School shootings are such a tragedy. :broken_heart:

Lenora: I've had acid reflux issues over the years and am off of Nexium forever due to the cognitive problems it caused me. I've had to make different food choices and avoid highly spiced foods. Timing is a big key for me. I need to avoid lying down after eating something spicy & also use big pillows to prop myself up in bed. Little things can help. I hope you're able to find some strategies that help you. :heart:

Heather: I love your diet advice! The food you eat should make you happy. I also eat what I like & use portion control to stay within my calorie goals. I'm quite happy to use exercise to earn a treat &/or burn off excess calories. :star:

Kim: I had a baseline colonoscopy at a surgery center years ago and so did DH. Since then we've switched to do-it-yourself poop kits we get from our doctor. No anesthetic, & no horrible purge the night before a test. (I was on the potty all night the night before my colonoscopy.) The facility where we had our colonoscopies is about 40 miles away and the road trip there was a nightmare for me. When DH had his we stayed in a hotel near the surgery center & he did his purge there. The hotel was money well spent. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today and we're supposed to get DH's car from VW this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed for that. We have plans to go to Costco because it is close to where we pick up the car. They have some items we really like at a favorable price.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

• kevrit
    Options
    ;)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    The Columbia River is running deep at our house. It looks like this will be true for quite a long while due to snowmelt near the head waters of the river in Canada. We have two tiers of riprap between us and the water, and the water is soaking the feet of some of my iris on the lower tier.

Whether the weather be fine
    Or whether the weather be not,
    Whether the weather be cold
    Or whether the weather be hot,
    We'll weather the weather
    Whatever the weather,
    Whether we like it or not.

Anonymous
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi Gals,

So I read all this info on fasting, low calorie days, fasting hours and it fills me with dread… I. don’t. fast. I become a grump when my lunch is late. I’m planning dinner on my before breakfast walk… I eat less and lower calorie than I have in years, but I love food. So the dread comes in because in a month I have to have a colonoscopy, and I have to do a liquid diet, of as best I can figure out stuff I hate. I do not like broth, jello, or apple juice. While they have yet to give me the paper work, from what I have heard that’s what is available… so I’ll be just drinking water for a day or two..and I am already working myself up into a tizzy about this. And I can not afford to take time off of work; so I’ll be doing 3-4 hours of gardening everyday… I’m of course not looking forward to the clean you out liquid, but the idea of fasting is dreadful! So the question for all of you, how do you make it on a fast –and/or are you really doing a water only fast?

Smiles

Kim from N. California

I used a sparkling water called Ice. Then what you need to do is buy Bag Balm in a pretty green tin with a cow on front. It's to put on cows udders, but it's mauvalous on your backside, when you are spending the night before dealing with living on the toilet. Plus afterwards the tin will make you smile. Message me if you need specifics! My husband used it on a dry patch on his hand. I'm always getting on him for bag balming the door knobs!
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So, this week is cleaning out my cupboards (my foods), and making soups! I am buying some cabbage to put in a beef stock, diced tomatoes, wild rice, sauteed kielbasa soup. Can't you just picture it's hearty stock, glistening from some olive oil and kielbasa?? I thought of that all last night. Then the latter part of the week will be bean soup with bits of ham! Lunches will be cucumbers, cottage cheese, and tuna or salmon pouches. Breakfast will be hearty piece of 22 grain toast with a T of peanut butter, or a container of yogurt. Snacks will be nuts, or a Kashi hearty chocolate chip cookie in individual packets. Those are great because I won't overeat them. I would have a fiber belly ache!! Not a lot of fruit but next month I plan on buying some grapefruit.
    Food is good, and we are being friends and all. I have a passion about it! But my passion is not of frosted oohy gooyness, but of great food that fuels me! My dear husband bought his cheeseburger, fries, and soda from McDonald's, after we exercised and I waited in the car. Nope, not eating crap! He had the gaul to leave a try in the microwave when he reheated the meal, AND then dropped one in the floor! I had my shrimp!
    Have a great day all!
    Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    It has taken me two days to read all of the posts for this month. I had looked at this group in April as well but had a hard time keeping up with who was who.

I would love to join in, you all seem so encouraging to each other.

I am 49, will be 50 in September and this is my second time to seriously try MFP. The first time in 2012 I lost 25 pounds and then life got in the way and I quit. I am currently 12 pounds down since February, although I didn't get really serious until March. I am currently at 190 and hoping to get to 140 by next July for my baby girl's wedding. I am taking it slow, changing my eating habits without depriving myself and getting in some exercise. Currently I am walking fairly regularly and have taken up swim lessons. I am thinking I need to get some strength training in there somewhere too.

I am married will be 31 years next month, have two adult daughters, 1 Grandson who will be 7 in September, he shares my birthday with me, 1 Granddaughter who is 2.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Welcome! You have found a great group of ladies. Jump in when you feel the desire. Don't worry about trying to learn who everyone is all at once. It will come.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • kevrit
    Options
    B)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Rye ... regarding lunch/break laws ... I'm not certain what the law says in NY, but this past Fall, when my OS (disabled) was working ... he did not have a lunch/break. He went somewhere between 6-8 hours without food or water. Although he could have had something at his desk ... his disability kept him made it very difficult to do so. As a result of not taking breaks, he ended up in the hospital with renal failure due to dehydration. Upon returning to work, his doctor sent what must have been a nasty letter as both my son and all of his co-workers received a paid lunch and two paid breaks for the remainder of the season! So, I suspect that if you could prove medical necessity, you could receive a lunch/break.

Kim ... I had a colonoscopy last Thursday for the first time. I absolutely detest jello and bouillon and juices/gatorades! I pretty much just drank a ton of water, although I forced myself to eat some yellow jello mid-afternoon. I went to work in the morning and did lawn work in the afternoon. I was told not to eat anything with large seeds or nuts 3 days prior to the exam and then my doctor's prep consisted of 3 liquid bottles of magnesium citrate ... one at 5:00 pm (with 2 laxative tablets), one at 8:00 pm (with 2 laxative tablets) and then a final one the next morning 4 hours before my exam. I was as clean as a whistle!! The prep is the worst only because you're on the toilet, not because it was painful. I hardly remember the actual exam. You CAN do this!

Lenora ... that procedure sounds absolutely hideous ...

I had another routine exam today ... will have to wait on some results and have had to schedule another procedure. Looking to see whether I have weird menopause symptoms or something else is going on ....

Beth near Buffalo

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Afternoon!

So yesterday was day #1 of the 500 calorie 5:2 fasting. Very doable. I wasn't that hungry at all until I ate "lunch" at 10:30 then my tummy wanted more, so next Monday I'll put off lunch as long as possible.

Not famished at all today. My goal is to get a bit of tummy fat gone.

Got allergy shots this morning, looks like three more weeks of the twice a week injections then I'll be on once-a-week maintenance.

Rita - I liked your big dead snake. Did you cut off the rattles as a souvenir? I would have! B) Very cool!

Rebecca - great idea using bag balm on tender bottom areas once the "draino" gets going. I think I might have used Vaseline.

Heather - I always love hearing about your meals. I need to remind myself to make a nice presentation (like Rebecca does as well) and take my time chewing.

My DH has been a pain lately saying what I make like porkchops, salads, etc. are too hard to chew. WELL yesterday he admitted he has a crack in his upper denture and both upper and lowers need to be relined. DUH! So I stopped in at the denturist this morning and got the info on the process, costs, etc. Asked DH if I should call and make an appointment and he kind of blew me off - he mentioned yesterday it might not be worth the $$ since he might not live that long. HUH? Well sure, if you can't eat right! LOL. We have a HSA with $$ in it just for things like this. I guess if he wants to eat hot dogs and drink Ensure the rest of his life, that's his choice. Geeze!

Now on the positive side, I'm learning more and more about medical cannabis and have picked up a few treats for him at the local dispensary with high CBD for inflammation. We are so lucky to live in WA State where it's legal and I'm ready to lobby Washington DC to take a look at rescheduling it so research can be done on using it for medical problems and replacing opioids.

Anyhow, the right combo helps with sleep and pain relief.

That's the news from here. Time to go lift weights!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Smiles

Kim from N. California

My husband feels the same way as you do about eating/fasting. If he misses a meal, or if a meal is late, he thinks he's going to die.

He won't. And you won't. I promise.

I don't routinely fast, but I guess I kind of am today! LOL I had frozen yogurt at about 8 pm last night and 12 oz of freshly juiced fruit and ginger this morning. I am planning to eat some yogurt in a few minutes for lunch. Hubby and I have date night tonight, so I am saving up some calories.

I just tell myself that it's okay to be hungry. That it is temporary. And I will be fine.

You may not have heard my first colonoscopy story, but the prep for me was a relief. I didn't yet know that I had Celiac, so the break from eating was just what my system needed to feel normal. Really it was just that I wasn't ingesting any gluten that improved my overall feeling, but I didn't know that yet.

You can drink more than water, I think -- just clear liquids though, or non-red liquids. I wouldn't recommend eating a lot right after because your system will be a little in shock -- at least mine was. I eased back into eating normally over the few hours after the procedure.

You'll do great!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon