Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    yep CICO works. I have a metabolic disorder that is genetic and I lost weight counting my calories. I also weigh everything I eat to make sure its a serving and adjut accordingly. my calories in are less that what MFP gives me. MFP and other calculators say my BMR is 1400-1600. its not its 1272.what I should be maintaining on according to those calculators are also 200-300 calories off. so I have to adjust my intake. for me I have to burn more calories as well which is the only thing that works for me. I also have RA which is considered an autoimmune disease.

@ amandacowan1978 The keto flu is caused from your body/liver depleting glycogen and water and therefore it disrupts your electrolyte balance,that happens when you lower CARBS. Keto is a high fat low carb diet so why would you cut out fats from your diet if doing keto?

and just so you know I did keto for 2 months and for me I lost 5 lbs of water weight and that was all I lost. my weight loss was the same doing keto as it was eating the way I do now. also when you decrease your activity you need less calories as well so that could be why you werent losing back then. Thyroid issues can make losing weight harder too because it regulates metabolism.so if your levels arent on point weight loss can be hard. my daughter is having that issue at this very moment.

Ketogenic is defined as a very low carbohydrate dieting. It can be everywhere from high to low fat. The current diet craze is a modified ketogenic diet, which tends of focus on fat, but that certainly not a representation of the diet in general.

most that do keto here of course are the high fat low carb people. but still to get into ketosis you need very low carbs. I think I mentioned that above. if a person does low carb,low fat and high protein then how do they enter ketosis with very little fat as their fuel source? I know protein can be converted into glucose if needed but wouldnt that defeat the purpose of ketosis? your body would then run on glucose instead of fat to produce ketones right?

I know there are different types of keto but with most of them they all have higher fat limits. just one has the protein @25-30% of their calorie intake,the rest are all lower protein(I posted links in another thread awhile back). most of the diets had at least 60-90% fat intake. to me thats high fat.I do a low fat diet because I have to. I cant imagine cutting my carbs really low and upping my protein, egads I couldnt do it.

Ketosis isnt driven by fat, its driven by an energy source change from restricted carbs. Fat just makes for an easy and efficient fuel source while protein isnt a good fuel source.

I know its not driven by fat its due to low carb. I know that but fat is used for energy thats why to me low fat would kind of defeat the purpose because low fat would mean not enough fuel one would think? thats what Im trying to say. to me that would be driving a car on a 1/ 4 of a tank(low fat) and thinking that you can go the distance you can on say 3/4(high fat) and the car being able to do so. maybe Im just not understand as well as I thought. but I know that keto has to be low carb for sure.

There's always body fat, and protein can be used for some energy, it just is not a good primary source.

Consider starvation. If someone is only eating 400 kcal a day of only carbs, they would still end up in ketosis due to a lack of energy although they are eating 100g of carbs which is higher than a normal ketogenic diet. A lack of carbs or calories will cause ketosis.

Medium chain triglycerides are also converted to ketones very readily. People can raise their ketones, even if they eat more than low carb, by eating MCTs. That's one area where eating more of a fat can raise ketones. More fat is just not a requirement to making ketones. KWIM?

I can see the case with starvation though but then in that case you body will be using fat,muscle and lean mass for energy though. I know a lack of carbs cause ketosis thats not what Im saying thought. I just dont know how a low far ,low car ketosis diet would in a way be healthy due to the body needing some fat for hormone production or does the ketones help with that? I know that when you fast your body will also turn carbs and other things into fatty acids to run on,sort of like a ketosis. so that sorta makes sense in starvation.as for body fat though what happens when a person doesnt have enough body fat? then what? are there any legit studies on this that I can look up? Ive looked up some but its doesnt answer the questions I have.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. I am doing UD2 which is low carb and low fat with carb refeeds. Keeping in mind that a person really only needs roughly 11g of alpha linolenic acids. So a person needs 20-30g to achieve that. And I haven't seen studies of hormonal balance from consuming more. That is why with Lyle McDonald's programs he restricts carbs and fats. Overall, its designed to help mobilize fatty acids. And while a goal isn't ketosis, its possible that some will achieve it. I aim for net 50g on my low carb days while doing a glycogen depletion workout on the first two days.... To aid in fat mobilization.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    yep CICO works. I have a metabolic disorder that is genetic and I lost weight counting my calories. I also weigh everything I eat to make sure its a serving and adjut accordingly. my calories in are less that what MFP gives me. MFP and other calculators say my BMR is 1400-1600. its not its 1272.what I should be maintaining on according to those calculators are also 200-300 calories off. so I have to adjust my intake. for me I have to burn more calories as well which is the only thing that works for me. I also have RA which is considered an autoimmune disease.

@ amandacowan1978 The keto flu is caused from your body/liver depleting glycogen and water and therefore it disrupts your electrolyte balance,that happens when you lower CARBS. Keto is a high fat low carb diet so why would you cut out fats from your diet if doing keto?

and just so you know I did keto for 2 months and for me I lost 5 lbs of water weight and that was all I lost. my weight loss was the same doing keto as it was eating the way I do now. also when you decrease your activity you need less calories as well so that could be why you werent losing back then. Thyroid issues can make losing weight harder too because it regulates metabolism.so if your levels arent on point weight loss can be hard. my daughter is having that issue at this very moment.

Ketogenic is defined as a very low carbohydrate dieting. It can be everywhere from high to low fat. The current diet craze is a modified ketogenic diet, which tends of focus on fat, but that certainly not a representation of the diet in general.

most that do keto here of course are the high fat low carb people. but still to get into ketosis you need very low carbs. I think I mentioned that above. if a person does low carb,low fat and high protein then how do they enter ketosis with very little fat as their fuel source? I know protein can be converted into glucose if needed but wouldnt that defeat the purpose of ketosis? your body would then run on glucose instead of fat to produce ketones right?

I know there are different types of keto but with most of them they all have higher fat limits. just one has the protein @25-30% of their calorie intake,the rest are all lower protein(I posted links in another thread awhile back). most of the diets had at least 60-90% fat intake. to me thats high fat.I do a low fat diet because I have to. I cant imagine cutting my carbs really low and upping my protein, egads I couldnt do it.

Ketosis isnt driven by fat, its driven by an energy source change from restricted carbs. Fat just makes for an easy and efficient fuel source while protein isnt a good fuel source.

I know its not driven by fat its due to low carb. I know that but fat is used for energy thats why to me low fat would kind of defeat the purpose because low fat would mean not enough fuel one would think? thats what Im trying to say. to me that would be driving a car on a 1/ 4 of a tank(low fat) and thinking that you can go the distance you can on say 3/4(high fat) and the car being able to do so. maybe Im just not understand as well as I thought. but I know that keto has to be low carb for sure.

There's always body fat, and protein can be used for some energy, it just is not a good primary source.

Consider starvation. If someone is only eating 400 kcal a day of only carbs, they would still end up in ketosis due to a lack of energy although they are eating 100g of carbs which is higher than a normal ketogenic diet. A lack of carbs or calories will cause ketosis.

Medium chain triglycerides are also converted to ketones very readily. People can raise their ketones, even if they eat more than low carb, by eating MCTs. That's one area where eating more of a fat can raise ketones. More fat is just not a requirement to making ketones. KWIM?

I can see the case with starvation though but then in that case you body will be using fat,muscle and lean mass for energy though. I know a lack of carbs cause ketosis thats not what Im saying thought. I just dont know how a low far ,low car ketosis diet would in a way be healthy due to the body needing some fat for hormone production or does the ketones help with that? I know that when you fast your body will also turn carbs and other things into fatty acids to run on,sort of like a ketosis. so that sorta makes sense in starvation.as for body fat though what happens when a person doesnt have enough body fat? then what? are there any legit studies on this that I can look up? Ive looked up some but its doesnt answer the questions I have.

I think that even when people eat high protein, say 200+ g a day, there are still getting a lot of calories from fat.

If someone was trying to lose weight with 1600 kcal a day, and they ate 50 g of carbs (200kcal) and 200 g protein (800 kcal or 50%), they are still getting about 600 kcal from fat, or close to 70 g. If we assume they use no protein for energy (which would not be correct), they are getting 800 kcal of energy from dietary fat and carbs. If the have a TDEE of 2500kcal, that means they would be using another 900 kcal of body (mainly saturated) fats.

If they don't have enough body fat for that sort of energy deficit they would start using lean tissue and eventually starve. That would be true of all diets though. I imagine that if one is eating a large amount of protein, and is very lean with little fat to spare, they may need to eat above their TDEE a bit in order to get enough energy (fat or carbs). If they don't, I'm guessing that CI<CO and they'd lose weight and health.

Just guessing.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Lol, you wooers can woo away all you want. Still doesn't change the fact that a meta-analysis of 32 studies controlled for calories and protein intake showed no metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet. Those woo must be the cheering kind! :p

Meh. I ignore those buttons: like, woo, whatever. I don't often use them or read them. They're pretty pointless.

I've been tempted to type "the sky is blue" to see if that would get woo'ed just because I wrote it. ;) LOL

ETA I went back through this thread and found I was woo'ed about 45 times over 8 or so posts. :D awesome. :smirk:

Right on. It was woo'ed. LOL
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Lol, you wooers can woo away all you want. Still doesn't change the fact that a meta-analysis of 32 studies controlled for calories and protein intake showed no metabolic advantage to a ketogenic diet. Those woo must be the cheering kind! :p

So you can finally admit keto and LCHF is as good your IIFYM diet!

Just what many of us have been saying for year! Gotta love science.

Woo away!

This is going to blow your mind but @mmapags follows a low carb diet.

It’s a good choice.

He must be happy he’s on a diet that’s as good as it gets :wink:

It is indeed a good choice - for some!

I follow the Ketogenic Lifestyle due to high A1C and insulin resistance.

I know a couple of people who have different autoimmune diseases and they GREATLY benefit from the Ketogenic Lifestyle.

But, it (Keto) is super restrictive. And the Keto Flu (which, admittedly one experiences due to ignorance) can absolutely destroy any desire to follow this way of eating. Which is really too bad. A little ownership and personal accountability make the Keto Flu a non-issue.

I can preach the benefits of the Ketogenic Lifestyle, but I would be doing anyone and everyone a dis-service were I to not include both benefits and challenges so that people can make a more educated decision. It is really challenging (not for me, but I am 'off') to restrict Carbs to under 50g a day.

Anyway, I love technical conversation. Working on it!

I curse whoever named the electrolyte imbalance "keto flu". ;) It makes it sound like something that will be / must be experienced if one does keto, and not something that is entirely preventable with a bit of knowledge.

I've had people argue with me about it. They insist it is the keto flu - a carb detox - and not an electrolyte imbalance, so they don't increase sodium, then they suffer a while longer, and then they quit while attributing their symptoms to ketosis rather than low sodium.

I think most bad ketogenic experiences are due to not increasing sodium enough. Not all, but most.

Yes, ma'am! I agree completely. That is why I made the rather strong statements about "ownership" and "personal accountability". Seems like so many people just "do what I am told to do".....that thought process (clearly, there is absolutely zero thought process involved....so please give me a little latitude there) sickens me. Anyway, end rant!

And, again: YES, MA'AM!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Good rant! ;):)
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

This is a very uneducated opinion about Keto. I eat plenty of vegetables and :::gasp::: even some fruit. They aren't tiny amounts, often my lunch is a huge plate of salad with protein and then a homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette. Dinner is often grilled meat and a large side of veggies cooked in healthy fat. Honestly, the only thing I eat copious amounts of are leafy green veggies because I love them. And sometimes, I want a potato, so I eat a potato. Yes, initial weight lost is often water weight, but that is common with most any diet, and not exclusive to Keto.

And for the record, I never had the Keto Flu. I did my research before starting and simply upped my electrolyte consumption and when I did have that initial water weight loss, I felt perfectly fine.

Yeah, nah...

One medium apple is 25g of carbohydrate...boom...you've just gone over the 20 measly grams of carbohydrates that most keto dieters are doing. Saying that you don't have to restrict fruits and veg is a *kitten* premise.

Most of my carbohydrates come from fruits and veg and some oats and legumes...I'm well over keto limits with my healthy carbohydrates.

Well, I average closer to 50g of carbohydrates per day and I don't like apples, so......
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    cln288 wrote: »
    Thinking about trying the keto diet. I am trying to cut just a few pounds for a summer trip that I am taking with a couple of my friends. I have heard that keto is super easy to do after the initial two days. Please advise on how long it took for you to lose X number of pounds and to see the results or how long it took to get over the "keto flu" or tips on how to manage or good food to eat. Just any tips. Wanting to start soon! <3

Thanks for your help in advance.

xx

"Easy" would be highly subjective and individual. Personally, I wouldn't find limiting carbohydrates to next to nothing very easy, nor would I find eating copious amounts of dietary fat easy or limiting protein easy.

I suppose it's easy for some who gravitate towards eating a ton of fat and have little interest in fruits and vegetables and other quality carbohydrates in more than the tiniest amounts.

Also keep in mind that initial losses on the scale are largely water and glycogen depletion...if you're planning on drinking alcohol on your trip, be prepared to put back on water weight and bloat.

This is a very uneducated opinion about Keto. I eat plenty of vegetables and :::gasp::: even some fruit. They aren't tiny amounts, often my lunch is a huge plate of salad with protein and then a homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette. Dinner is often grilled meat and a large side of veggies cooked in healthy fat. Honestly, the only thing I eat copious amounts of are leafy green veggies because I love them. And sometimes, I want a potato, so I eat a potato. Yes, initial weight lost is often water weight, but that is common with most any diet, and not exclusive to Keto.

And for the record, I never had the Keto Flu. I did my research before starting and simply upped my electrolyte consumption and when I did have that initial water weight loss, I felt perfectly fine.

Yeah, nah...

One medium apple is 25g of carbohydrate...boom...you've just gone over the 20 measly grams of carbohydrates that most keto dieters are doing. Saying that you don't have to restrict fruits and veg is a *kitten* premise.

Most of my carbohydrates come from fruits and veg and some oats and legumes...I'm well over keto limits with my healthy carbohydrates.

Oh no, there's no such thing as healthy carbs. Fruits and vegetables- devil carbs . Same as eating cake all day and all.
    *Insert eyeroll*

But you can drink unlimited whipping cream mixed with oil. You can even eat at a calorie surplus every day because it's magic.

You can't gain weight on keto. Only magical muscle.

Hehehe

Honestly, you sound really uneducated about Keto. You are making such a gross generalization and couldn't be further off target. Yes, some people may "eat keto" the way that you are describing, but that way is not the intent of keto. I follow a Keto diet, feel free to take a peek at my diary, I am neither chugging whipping cream mixed with oil nor eating at a calorie surplus every day. Anyone doing Keto with a half an ounce of intelligence knows that you need to eat healthy, whole foods and be consuming less calories than you burn. We're not all morons.

There will always be people misrepresenting each dieting "ideology".

IIFYM is great, it works, it's proven to lose weight, but just like keto, people think it's the whole story. The whole point of losing weight should be - primarily - for health reasons. So IIFYM can be abused, for example: 1800kcals of cake - that isn't going to be healthy. But taking it such extremes is ignoring all the good it can achieve.

IMO, my favourite thing about keto (which I've only done for about 4-5 months, but had my best results for fat loss ever) was how little I craved any carbs or sugars. Currently just trying to eat healthily within IIFYM and struggling to lose weight because I get cravings here and there and end up making a few awful choices. That just didn't happen for me on keto. I gave it up though because I don't think it's sustainable long term for me personally. I love a pizza, or an actual burger with a bun etc. I like the odd sandwich. And I like a LOT of peppers, green beans, asparagus etc. I like a bit of milk in my coffee. A lot of little otherwise harmless things were sacrificed for keto. I like to eat out once a week, sometimes more. I hate going to a restaurant and paying full price for a meal I could only half enjoy.

I'll be back on keto, but I'll maybe use it as a functional weight loss diet, rather than a way of life. It worked for me before, so there's no reason why I can't do it again, if needed.

My priorities fall like so:

Try and eat within your calorie goals
    Get adequate protein for muscle recovery/building
    Get adequate fruits and veg for vitamins/fibre
    Fill the rest with what I like the most
This discussion has been closed.