July 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    What do I eat before a run in the morning? Typically I don't need much/anything up to about 10k, but usually eat my 2/day brazil nuts and drink water or tea. If I'm going longer, racing or doing a speed workout, I go for some combination of oatmeal, banana, PB toast, and/or fried egg. This thread has definitely been making me hungry lately!

9k today. Part of that was with my early-morning friend. After we did C25k w6d1 (it's enough running that I count it in my totals now, except for the last walk interval when I paused the watch), I took off on my own and tried to push the pace a bit. I am at the point where I need to speed up my comfortable pace to be able to move forward towards some of my goals. But by the time I was working hard, coming up the hill out of the woods, I looked down at my watch and was still going too slow. Haha. I think it's that particular hill. I'm going to keep running it regularly until it gets easier to go fast the whole way through that trail section.

exercise.png

Upcoming race:
    7/16 CityTrail OnTour 5k
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    @5BeautifulDays Falling definitely sucks...thank goodness for phones with otterbox cases to protect them, although the legs and other hand got skinned up a little bit. Had 2 falls last year within about 2 months of each other. Darn the broken sidewalk...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @PastorVincent I need your wife to come visit Edmonton as I need a running buddy and her pace is about the same as mine...

Re: falling, I mostly do that in the winter. Running on snow & ice is hard!

Re: morning run fuel, I run fasted most mornings when I run in the morning as I have medication that conflicts with eating (4 hour fast before, 30-60 minute fast after taking). I will do that for up to a 10K run.

Race mornings or longer runs I will get up, take my meds, set an alarm for 30 minutes, and then have 2 slices of PB toast OR a bowl of oatmeal with fruit and a giant coffee 2 hours before run time. I can cut that as short as 90 minutes or stretch it to 2.5 hours.

I'm so the opposite of a morning person, though. I would rather run at 10PM than 5 AM.

In other news, I failed to run at 5AM this morning so I will run home from work during thunderstorms. They aren't predicted to be severe. I bought some CLIF products to experiment with. If they work well I will try them for my longer run on Saturday too.

Also my warranty replacement for my Garmin shipped last night. Should arrive Thursday.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Aw, you all are great, thank you - I don’t think I can say how much I appreciate all your common sense and encouragement. I know comparing myself to others is a fast road to nowheresville - everyone’s at a different place and has their own troubles and triumphs. It’s not like I run to be the fastest or go the furthest or anything like that - I run because I enjoy it and it’s good for me. Thanks for the reminder, all.

@PastorVincent: I love the way you put things - “unscheduled rapid lay down maneuver” indeed. I remain extremely impressed by people who can stick to running even without the high or whatever you want to call that awesome rush of happy brain juice. I have a totally uncorroborated theory that people who are prone to certain types of anxiety may be more likely to experience a runner’s high and that some or all of the “good” feeling is simply an absence of the baseline level of stress we spend much of our lives experiencing. That’s how it often feels to me, at least.

ETA: All the falling stories are making me cringe, but also smile, because clearly you all got back up and kept going!
  • Gary_Z
    Gary_Z Posts: 19 Member

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Aw, you all are great, thank you - I don’t think I can say how much I appreciate all your common sense and encouragement. I know comparing myself to others is a fast road to nowheresville - everyone’s at a different place and has their own troubles and triumphs. It’s not like I run to be the fastest or go the furthest or anything like that - I run because I enjoy it and it’s good for me. Thanks for the reminder, all.

@PastorVincent: I love the way you put things - “unscheduled rapid lay down maneuver” indeed. I remain extremely impressed by people who can stick to running even without the high or whatever you want to call that awesome rush of happy brain juice. I have a totally uncorroborated theory that people who are prone to certain types of anxiety may be more likely to experience a runner’s high and that some or all of the “good” feeling is simply an absence of the baseline level of stress we spend much of our lives experiencing. That’s how it often feels to me, at least.

ETA: All the falling stories are making me cringe, but also smile, because clearly you all got back up and kept going!

I must have the wrong anxiety. :D:D:D
  • mcw2018mfp
    mcw2018mfp Posts: 84 Member
    Aiming for 50 Miles

July 1 - 3 miles 35:00 Happy Canada Day
    July 2 - 5.58 Miles 60:00 Hilly, windy, and cold on this holiday Monday.
    July 3 - HIIT class so no run.
    July 4 - 3.25 miles 37:30
    July 5 - 5.4 miles 56:30 Intervals 400;800;1200;1600;1200;800;400m
    July 6 - No run
    July 7 - 7 miles 1:17:25 This was a struggle today. I wanted to stop after a few steps! Then I just put one foot in front of the other.
    July 8 - 3.5 miles 42:00 slow and easy today.
    July 9 - 3 miles 50 minutes A combination of hill repeats - running and walking
    July 10 - HIIT class No run
    Total: 30.73

July 15 - The Moose Is Loose 10k trail run
    Goal- under 60 minutes
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    July goal is 150 miles

7/1 5.00............ 5.00/145.00
    7/2 Rest............ 5.00/145.00
    7/3 7.00............12.00/138.00
    7/4 5.00............17.00/133.00
    7/5 7.00............24.00/126.00
    7/6 5.00............29.00/121.00
    7/7 Rest............29.00/121.00
    7/8 16.00..........45.00/105.00
    7/9 Rest............45.00/105.00
    7/10 6.00...........51.00/ 99.00

Upcoming races:

October 20: Sinnemahone Ultra Marathon Trail Race (50K)