July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Oh @5BeautifulDays i am sorry your in pain.. Okay... My first suggestion is to continue to run as you tolerate. My surgeon never said stop.
    Second find someone to work with that wont dismiss piriformis syndrome (dgs) as a thing. PT massage is most helpful.
    Third. Stretch, foam roll, do plenty of self massage too.
    Fourth. Strengthen your glute max. Chances are that it weak and your piriformis is overworked. Donkey kicks and glute squeezes every other day.
    And finally watch for signs of nerve impingment.

Thank you so much for the exercise paper! I've been reading about piriformis syndrome. I don't know if what I've got going on is severe to the degree I've been reading about, but the area and problem does sound the same (just milder). I'm going to try these exercises and more foam rolling.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @HonuNui - I am so sorry about poor Lily but so glad she is ok. Looks like it is going to be a bit of a recovery for her until she can be out and romping about again!

Reading about your night time runs just amazes me @hanlonsk and @MegaMooseEsq. I know @sarahthes also goes out late too but I could not even imagine heading out for a walk so late at night let alone a run. I guess it comes from living too long in an urban area. Do you all have to worry about critters coming after you in the dark? Even here we have coyotes out on the streets at night.

I live in Minneapolis, which has a lot of great parks especially around the lakes (lakes are kind of our thing), but it's definitely still an urban area. I've only been running for about a year now but have been primarily a pedestrian or biker for a couple of decades both here and in St. Paul, and honestly never been terribly concerned about crime, either before or after dark - I was mostly joking about the "jogger" thing. One is far less likely to be attacked by a stranger than hit by a car, which I absolutely DO worry about. The only time I've been "mugged" was when some kid asked to use my phone to call home and then took off running with it. Joke was on him - it was a garbage flip phone.

I started my run yesterday about 45 minutes before sunset and got home before full dark, but my main concern was tripping or getting hit by a car on my walk home. I walk around after dark all the time but people can be idiots on the weekends especially, and I can be pretty zoned out after a run. As for critters, we generally don't get anything that would attack a person around here other than geese and dogs (and mosquitos!), but it sounds like people are better about following the leash laws here than where a lot of you live. There are foxes and raccoons and stuff, but they usually avoid people other than the very, very rare rabid animal, in which case they're probably as likely to attack during the day as after dark.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Wow! Caught up 5 pages...

Congrats, @skippygirlsmom on your race, and congrats to everyone else who raced this weekend!

I was at an all-day class yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to run. I'm obviously up way too late to run without crazy heat right now, so I'll have to decide what to do later in the day. I may just declare it a second rest day and go for a walk or a swim.

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7/1/18 unplanned rest

7/2/18 2.55 miles
    7/3/18 rest
    7/4/18 2.7 miles
    7/5/18 3 miles
    7/6/18 rest pf
    7/7/18 rest pf
    7/8/18 rest pf

7/9/18 3 miles
    7/10/18 3.15 miles
    7/11/18 2.95 miles
    7/12/18 2.9 miles
    7/13/18 2.6 miles
    7/14/18 3 miles
    7/15/18 8 miles

Total 33.85 miles /75-85

When I left the house at 5 am it was 90F and about 50% humidity. It didn't feel too bad. There is ton of cloud coverage (yay!) so no sun beating down. I think my last couple of miles were probably pretty slow as I would run .25-.5 or so and have to walk because I was getting too hot. I seriously might order one of those cooling towels. For less than $10 it's worth a shot.

So much I missed in the thread! @HonuNui I am glad your pup is ok! We don't have boar but some areas have javelina and they can be mean AF. Night running - I used to run at sunset in the summers. I loved it but if I had a bad day or was tired it's too easy to skip. I try to do my strength at night now so if I miss a night it's not a huge deal.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Oh @5BeautifulDays i am sorry your in pain.. Okay... My first suggestion is to continue to run as you tolerate. My surgeon never said stop.
    Second find someone to work with that wont dismiss piriformis syndrome (dgs) as a thing. PT massage is most helpful.
    Third. Stretch, foam roll, do plenty of self massage too.
    Fourth. Strengthen your glute max. Chances are that it weak and your piriformis is overworked. Donkey kicks and glute squeezes every other day.
    And finally watch for signs of nerve impingment.

Thank you so much for the exercise paper! I've been reading about piriformis syndrome. I don't know if what I've got going on is severe to the degree I've been reading about, but the area and problem does sound the same (just milder). I'm going to try these exercises and more foam rolling.

Hopefully it's just a little overworked!

I was lucky enough that my problem was that the nerve and blood vessels biforcated the muscle and 3 branches of the sciatic tethered it from sliding with leg movement. The severity of mine is an exception, thankfully not the rule. I also had some pudendal nerve scaring. But that seems to have been worked out with PT massage. Glad I'm not a fella and getting to it wasnt through the b-hole. :blush: i dont pee myself as often anymore!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    10 Really ugly miles this morning. Stomach queasy all night and this morning, and arms itched all night for some reason so it was hard to sleep. Anyway, couldn't break 9 min/mile until mile 7, so my warm-up is getting longer 🤨

exercise.png

@HonuNui hope Lily is doing better! From that picture it looks like a lot of stitches :'(
    Congrats @MegaMooseEsq and @Orphia on your PR accomplishments!
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    07/04/2018 - 4.37 miles
    07/11/2018 - 2.43 miles
    07/13/2018 - 3.44 miles
    07/15/2018 - 6.37 miles

16.61/50 miles

Temperature was 74 F at start, 95% Humidity, Dew Point 74

4 miles did not happen yesterday because I over slept and I had to bring my special needs brother to bowling for Special Olympics. He did place first for his group!

I decided to go for 6 miles today since I missed yesterday. Slow hot and humid run! Foot cooperated most of the time, but last mile was a suck fest with the foot and had to run walk it. Decided to finish last of cool down inside with the air conditioning.

@HonuNui - Hope Lilly recovers quickly!
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats to you and Skip!

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018 - Done
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K - 02/17/2018 - Done
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf - 6.5 miles 3/24/2018 -DNS
    Fat Boy 5K - 04/14/2018 - Cancelled due to Tornado Warning
    Active for Autism 5K - 05/05/2018 - Done - Walked
    AKA CANN 5K - 06/02/2018 - Done - Run/Walk
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -
    August Race - Zoo Run Run AND/OR Twilight Classic - 08/25/2018 -?
    Saints Kick Off Run - 09/08/2018 -?
    WHOA Racing Cane Field Classic 2018 (Machete 7 – 1 mile/4 mile/2mile) 10/13/2018-
    Cajun Cup OR Middendorf's Manchac Run - 11/10/2018 - ?
    St Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend 10K - 12/01/ 2018
    Bonfire Festival 5K - 12/16/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Weekend - 01/19-20/2018 - ?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Re: safety and night time trail running. The Greenline isn't open after dark, and is posted during the daytime to say it is not safe to run without a running buddy and not to leave things in your car. People get mugged in the area fairly often, since it's right across from the hospital which is a crime hub. However, there are also police patrolling in golf carts (with coolers full of cold drinks!) which must make it a little safer. It seems to me that the existence of cell phones must make running alone a lot safer than it used to be.

The park in Collierville is open til 11 pm. It has always seemed safe to me, but then there have been occasional news articles about packs of high school students attacking people. But still - that's the sort of crime you mainly get in Collierville, rabid upper class kids getting riled up after sports games, not professional criminals. As far as wildlife, my husband and I were walking the boardwalk late one night and heard a coyote pack start up all around us. We walked a little faster! Later we ran into some people unfamiliar with the area who had let their citified dog off the leash (which is illegal) and lost him. It transpired the next day that the dog had been killed by the coyotes. The boardwalk itself is elevated and I think coyotes would avoid it, but I would not feel quite comfortable running the woods there after dark.

My main problem with safety and night time trail running is that it's all I can do not to catch my toe on tree roots during the day, and a helmet light seems like it wouldn't really solve the problem, since it would create harsh shadows in a small area. How do those who run at night deal with visibility?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just use an inexpensive headlamp...while its true there are some tricky shadows on the trails, I don't seem to have any more difficulty with roots and rocks than I do during the day.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I hope your dog is ok! I would freak out if a boat attacked one of my pups!

@polskagirl01 How gross that people were making out in a porta potty!!! I’m glad your run went well, and good luck tomorrow!

@Elise4270 I’m glad your knee is feeling better!

I had planned to get up at 5:15 this morning to get in my run before meeting friends for breakfast. Of course, one of my dogs woke me up at 2:00 to go out to potty, and I have been awake ever since. I skipped on breakfast with friends, and I’ve been trying to lounge enough this morning so that I have some energy to run this afternoon.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    As a side note, it took me a time or two to acclimate myself to running trails at night, especially solo runs. I took it slow until I felt confident to pick up the pace. I also had a tendency to keep looking into woods because I thought I was seeing things... leopards, snakes, ghosts, booby traps, zombies. Take your eyes off the trail at night and you will be eating dirt.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    03/07 3.16 miles
    04/07 3.16 miles
    11/07 3.17 miles
    12/07 3.19 miles
    13/07 3.17 miles
    15/07 3.16 miles

exercise.png

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Re: safety and night time trail running. The Greenline isn't open after dark, and is posted during the daytime to say it is not safe to run without a running buddy and not to leave things in your car. People get mugged in the area fairly often, since it's right across from the hospital which is a crime hub. However, there are also police patrolling in golf carts (with coolers full of cold drinks!) which must make it a little safer. It seems to me that the existence of cell phones must make running alone a lot safer than it used to be.

The park in Collierville is open til 11 pm. It has always seemed safe to me, but then there have been occasional news articles about packs of high school students attacking people. But still - that's the sort of crime you mainly get in Collierville, rabid upper class kids getting riled up after sports games, not professional criminals. As far as wildlife, my husband and I were walking the boardwalk late one night and heard a coyote pack start up all around us. We walked a little faster! Later we ran into some people unfamiliar with the area who had let their citified dog off the leash (which is illegal) and lost him. It transpired the next day that the dog had been killed by the coyotes. The boardwalk itself is elevated and I think coyotes would avoid it, but I would not feel quite comfortable running the woods there after dark.

My main problem with safety and night time trail running is that it's all I can do not to catch my toe on tree roots during the day, and a helmet light seems like it wouldn't really solve the problem, since it would create harsh shadows in a small area. How do those who run at night deal with visibility?

I forgot to mention in my post that the area where I run is mostly higher income residential, which definitely makes me feel safer. And I know that having my Apple Watch makes me feel a lot safer than I might otherwise - my husband can check my GPS on his phone to see where I am at all times and 911 is only a quick tap away.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July Running Challenge
    Goal: 40 km
    Done: 35.2/40 km

15/7/18 Run 6 km
    14/7/18 Rest day
    13/7/18 Run 3.4 km SL A
    12/7/18 Run 6.3 km
    11/7/18 Run 5 km SL B
    10/7/18 Rest Day
    9/7/18 Run 5 km SL A
    8/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 4 km
    7/7/18 Walk 3 km SL B
    5/7/18 Run 2.5 km Walk 6 km
    4/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 7 km SL A
    3/7/18 Run 4 km Walk 9 km
    2/7/18 Run 2 km Walk 5 km
    1/7/18 Walk 7 km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 5
    7/2 - 0
    7/3 - 5
    7/4 - 3
    7/6 - 3
    7/7 - 3
    7/8 - 4
    7/9 - 0
    7/10 - 5
    7/11 - 0
    7/12 - 3
    7/13 – 2
    7/14 – 4 Jackalope 4 mile trail run
    7/15 - 3

40 of 60 miles
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    There was also the incident where we stopped so I could use a portapotty and discovered that there was a couple making out inside. I have no words.

This is the grossest thing I have ever heard...EVER. Just ewwwwwww
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent you need to skip church and do this. On that weekend my training schedule calls for 20 miles on Saturday and 14 on Sunday... I am thinking about doing the 25k distance as my Sunday run. Think about it.
    https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=53395

Thanks for mentioning it, but I can not make it. But you already knew that :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @polska_girl - ick... just ick. So gross! I just can't imagine what they were thinking.
    @abutcher2122 - exactly. I worry about Hobbes barking at them and then having them decide to 'defend' themselves. So far it hasn't happened but it always freaks me out when we see them and he starts growling! Hope you have lots of room in the freezer for all of that ice cream!
    @skippygirlsmom - I hope the issue with Skip'd knees gets worked out soon! There is a trainer I see once in a while working out at my gym and she is solid like that... I just look at her and dream of being that fit - I am sure it is not possible for me. So cool that she is willing to work out with Skip!

Rest day for me today. Spent a couple of hours with my daughter this morning before taking her to catch a plane back to Seattle. Didn't get to se much of her this visit (she was here to attend/speak at a conference) but will see her in SF in a couple of weeks!