Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love New Balance... but only their Minimus line
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @Teerai That seems to be a very complicated, contrived way to get a runner's high... Lol... I get that every time some loser dog owner let's his/her dog run loose... Quite honestly, the best runner's highs that I have gotten have been when I am on 20+ mile solo training runs and around the 20 mile mark I take a few hits off an indica dominant hybrid... helps me chill, stop worrying about my complaining feet and float away a few miles...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    July goals 60 miles. Work up to 5 minutes of running. Bike often. Rehab smart.

1---5.52 mtn bike
    2---2.09 run 3(4,4)
    3---5.58 mtn bike
    4---3.33 mile run 5(4,4)
    4---2.43 road bike
    5---3.42 run 7(3,3)
    6---9.04 mtn bike
    7---6.33 5(4-2,3-2,2-2)
    8---3.26 run 7(3-3)
    8---6.48 road bike
    10---3.67 run (more intervals)

MILES
    Running 22.1
    Cycling/MTN bike 29.1

Upcoming Races
    July 22 Draper Lake Duathlon (3k,22.5k,3k). Norman OK
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @PastorVincent \
    Like I said, in context, the exercise was to introduce a bunch of healthy freshman runners to that state.
    It worked for us.

Not like any other drug, alcohol, sugar, caffeine, or even other adrenaline highs, etc that I’ve experienced.

And despite Runners Worlds cautions, IMO, ‘all-out’ is one of the best places ever even if not on the ‘high’.

Not all the time or everyday but blowing-out-the-carburetor has it’s perks haha.
    It used to be called hardening-off or sharpening-up a few days before the competition.
    Of course, it is done intelligently, monitoring physical response of muscles during and afterwards.

Later ‘the high’ came in daily training usually not at All-out.
    Also different than a second wind, but, curious PastorV if you get a ‘second-wind’?

@LaDispute57
    Cracked me up haha.
    The ‘complicated’ was just caution defining the physiological state needed
    because we have such a huge range of weights and fitness levels in the Group.
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    @garygse lol
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat ha ha mud poop ha ha
  • LaDispute57
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    So er @LaDispute57 - is the second picture you posted you after rolling about in the second sign of a trail runner? Just wondering......

I wouldn’t recommend it you know. I mean, I know dogs like to roll in stuff but.....

LOL.... Actually it's my brother after a particularly hard fall... We carefully document all of our wrecks... Then, and only then, do we inquire about injuries...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »
    @PastorVincent \
    Like I said, in context, the exercise was to introduce a bunch of healthy freshman runners to that state.
    It worked for us.

Not like any other drug, alcohol, sugar, caffeine, or even other adrenaline highs, etc that I’ve experienced.

And despite Runners Worlds cautions, IMO, ‘all-out’ is one of the best places ever even if not on the ‘high’.

Not all the time or everyday but blowing-out-the-carburetor has it’s perks haha.
    It used to be called hardening-off or sharpening-up a few days before the competition.
    Of course, it is done intelligently, monitoring physical response of muscles during and afterwards.

Later ‘the high’ came in daily training usually not at All-out.
    Also different than a second wind, but, curious PastorV if you get a ‘second-wind’?

Oh, I am sure whatever the runner's high is, that there are many different ways of triggering it. Humans just tend to be pretty diverse in that kind of thing. So, I would fully expect PERSON A to say the only way to get it was to do THING and PERSON B to say that the only way to be sure not to get it was to do THING. :lol:

But biochemically it is the same, as I understand it, as drugs. I have read that in many places at least. People may experience it differently, but at the "what is actually happening" level - you are literally getting high. I have heard some people describe it as a VERY umm... let's go with "joyous" feeling. Others as merely pleasant. I suspect that various a quite a bit too. Again, people are complex and diverse.

I was on the track team in HS (a long long time ago in a state far away) and we did all out exercises many times. Hated every second of them. So that did not work for me either :lol:

As for second wind... not sure what that is. I mean I have heard the expression used many times, but not sure what it really means to a runner. If you are asking that around mile 20 or 22 of a marathon if I suddenly get a burst of strength and finish strong, then nope. If you mean starring down the last miles of a long run and by force of will alone pushing through pain, fatigue, and finishing strong, then yes. But that is under the "mental toughness" category, IMO, and not some biological mechanism designed to reward survival based behaviors.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    In support of my eldest brother and the life he felt he had to conceal for many years, I decided my next few pairs of Epic Reacts would be from the BETRUE collection. Love you, bro!

Very cool.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    They are so light and I don't even feel like I have shoes on, but don't feel as good as my current shoes so these may become my short run week day shoes, and I'll save my favourite pair for weekend long runs. Is that sensible?

I have heard many runners do something like that. So sure! Go for it! Whatever makes your feet happy. :sunglasses:

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I don't much notice Runner's High while running, but I guess I must have experienced it for the last 6 miles or so of Boston; because when I stopped running, I felt about 30 years older.

Never, ever got anything resembling Runner's High from running all out. That trick must be for sprinters.