July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @noblsheep Perhaps Timothy Leary could help you secure the LSD.....

Lol do you guys not call them that? (And thanks to Alan Ginsburg I actually know who Timothy Leary is)

Wonder what other running terminology differs between countries.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    There was also the incident where we stopped so I could use a portapotty and discovered that there was a couple making out inside. I have no words.

I had to read that comment more than once cause I just had a mental block about that location and that activity. I must be getting old.

But, I mean, they did not at least lock the door?
    No, in fact it was slightly ajar (like maybe one of them had a foot in the door for fresh air to get in).

If they wanted shelter from the rain (which I think was over at that point anyway), there was a rest area with dry seats and a roof, right next to the potty. And if they needed a private location, an entire half of the reservoir is surrounded by thick forest area.

Edit to add: I sincerely apologize if this topic is TMI and grossing others out as much as it does me :(

Wow. Simply wow.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @noblsheep Perhaps Timothy Leary could help you secure the LSD.....

Lol do you guys not call them that? (And thanks to Alan Ginsburg I actually know who Timothy Leary is)

Wonder what other running terminology differs between countries.

I have only ever heard LSD used for Lysergic acid diethylamide... which decidedly is not a running thing :)

Long Slow Distance is what I assume you mean... I am not hip on all the terms we use, but I always just said "long run" - mayhap most of the rest of the thread uses LSD and I am the only not hip one. *shrugs* Would not be the first time, nor the last. :smiley:
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There was also the incident where we stopped so I could use a portapotty and discovered that there was a couple making out inside. I have no words.

Edit to add: I sincerely apologize if this topic is TMI and grossing others out as much as it does me :(

Actually, it has provided me with a great deal of entertainment... it makes for a great story....lol... With the work that I do, I deal with so much off-the-wall, stupid, gross, disturbing human behavior that your encounter seems mild and funny to me. I am so desensitized I cannot remember the last time I heard something that shocked me.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    LSD was a new one for me, too. I was thinking "That @noblsheep is a pretty crazy runner, tripping out like that while she runs. If I tried that they would find me sitting along the trail talking to ferns."
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Actually, it has provided me with a great deal of entertainment... it makes for a great story....lol... With the work that I do, I deal with so much off-the-wall, stupid, gross, disturbing human behavior that your encounter seems mild and funny to me. I am so desensitized I cannot remember the last time I heard something that shocked me.

To date, I do not think this thread had a TMI limit. This definitely would not be over it though. I mean it is gross, but it is not like you got your camera out, recorded it, and posted a timeline of events, reactions, and sounds. :lol: (please don't btw... :lol: )
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent @LaDispute57 LOL to both of you... never talked to ferns before. Might try it next time.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »
    @PastorVincent @LaDispute57 LOL to both of you... never talked to ferns before. Might try it next time.

They are very good listeners. Never interrupt you, and never share your secrets. Not much on giving advice though.
  • JulieS3103
    JulieS3103 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    July 1 - 7 mile run
    July 3 - 2.6 mile run
    July 4 - Antioch Run for Freedom 5k
    July 5 - 6 mile Treadmill run
    July 6 - Strength workout
    July 7 - 4.5 mile run
    July 8 - 9.5 mile run
    July 10 - 4 mile run
    July 11 - 3 mile Treadmill run
    July 12 - knee pain/skipped run
    July 14 - Bristol 5k
    July 15 - 13.1 mile run

55.9 miles so far/Goal 100 miles

Upcoming Races:
    7/21/18 Brewers 5K
    7/29/18 Cudahy Classic 10 miles
    8/11/18 Hank Aaron State Trail 5k
    8/18/18 Madison Mini Half Marathon
    9/16/18 North Face Endurance 10k
    10/7/18 Lakefront Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Wow! How freekin' awesome!!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 5
    7/2 - 0
    7/3 - 5
    7/4 - 3
    7/6 - 3
    7/7 - 3
    7/8 - 4
    7/9 - 0
    7/10 - 5
    7/11 - 0
    7/12 - 3
    7/13 – 2
    7/14 – 4 Jackalope 4 mile trail run
    7/15 - 3
    7/16 - rest day

40 of 60 miles

So I was tagged in this twitter post this morning. I guess the AHSAA (aka Alabama high school athletic association) is having their conference this week and this company did elevator door wraps at the conference site. Look who got herself on a door, my sweet girl. ha ha A week or so ago Bethanny Frankel (from Real Housewives of NY and Skinny Girl fame) posted a picture of her on her instagram account and now this. ha ha

6hwn85nw47fw.jpg

vma1vcbtx9dd.png

Yay Skippy! The overall female winner at our local 8k race Saturday night is a freshman at one of the local high schools. She ran it in 30:45 (6:12 average pace).
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that is so awesome. I knew we had greatness among us.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I'm joining half through the month and it's my first challenge...I'm going to shoot for 25 miles by end of month. Big goal, eventually run a marathon (so far only 5k but they've been easy). Need to find 5k and 10k races before next summer, then try a half marathon. Or does anyone else have tips on working up to that? BTW did a virtual 10k on the treadmill but not irl. Tips/advice would be appreciated!

Welcome! Since you have already ran the 5K distance, you are probably beyond the Couch to 5K program. Check out some of Hal Higdon training plans. He has several distances with both beginner and advanced levels.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new here and in my intro thread LaDispute57 was kind enough to recommend checking out this challenge thread since I'm a runner (ha...I use that term loosely right now, but I do get out 4 times a week).

I read the opening post, so I'm gathering we provide daily accountability and post our current mileage, whether for the day or the week, while attempting to reach our monthly July goal? Is that correct? :)

Also, seems a good place to stay motivated as well from how lengthy these threads seem to be. A very active bunch, which is nice.

@RunnerGrl1982 Welcome! There are runners of all levels in these threads. Some that are hoping to run a whole mile someday, and nutcases like me that have run 30-mile races, and even nuttier ppl than me that do 100-mile races. Some of us run 14 min miles, some run 6 min miles. BUT we all support and help each other best we can. It is a good group, IMO.

Thank you @PastorVincent. Looking forward to participating more. Support and encouragement is always a positive no matter the mileage or time; so this definitely feels like a good place to be. I appreciate that!