WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited July 2018
    Lanette Are we sure that you and I are not related? (Albeit you from a taller branch of the family?). So much of what you mention about your life, or the things you do or read are part of mine!

Longo’s book is fascinating. Musings on Longo’s book and research follow, possibly uninteresting to anyone other than Lanette:
    And yes, the protein advice is all over the place and Longo comes down on a much lower protein intake, especially red meats, than the typical American diet. Right now, while I’m actively trying to gain muscle and strength I’m just remembering Longo’s protein advice, not acting on it. I may reassess that in a year or two.

As for the rest - I take his advice on basing my diet on the Mediterranean diet, but incorporate foods I seem to have a genetic predisposition to (potatoes for instance are one of the few always satiating foods for me). I know that fish protein is much more the way to go than white/red meats but I’ve never been able to abide the taste of fish. So I’m going with high quality lean white meat a lot. Frankly, I just don’t see myself giving up my red meat completely- but I no longer eat the burgers, hot dog, mystery meat fast food- only home cooked roasts and lean steaks. (oh, and home made beef jerky). I do his 5 day Fast Mimicking diets several times a year as well (well a homemade version, I can’t afford the price of his 5 day Prolon box meals).

I eat very little ‘refined’ or ‘processed foods’. Rarely eat any added sugar (Homemade Christmas treats still the major exception). I Eat minimal grains (usually only old fashioned oats or minor amounts of wheat in foods prepared by others) and pretty much no rice, bread, noodles or pasta. I eat minimal dairy (small amounts of butter and cheddar cheese mostly). I cook with Avocado oil (healthy profile similar to olive oil but no taste like veggie oil) when oil is called for and keep it to a minimum. I had started these habits while losing weight but reading his book solidified them into ‘good eating’ in my mind.

So, I guess I read Longo’s book and research with great interest and incorporated much but not all of his advice into my eating habits. I’m going for sensible but not overboard- since the research is so new and still contradictory to some other seemingly sound advice.

Higher protein than he recommends really seems to work for me. But eliminating the highly fatty and fried versions, and when financially possible, attempting to get grass fed meats, had become my eating ‘good eating’ rule for proteins.

And, I’m happy to say, it was his book that finally motivated me to get a daily quota of veggies! And I’ve been doing fantastic on that front. Regularly getting 7 to 10 servings of fruit and veg a day.

And Lanette, have I shared a picture of my beloved childhood pet - a miniature schnauzer? The dog by which I still compare every dog I meet to? Lol

Rye
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lanette Are we sure that you and I are not related? (Albeit you from a taller branch of the family?). So much of what you mention about your life, or the things you do or read are part of mine!

Longo’s book is fascinating. Musings on Longo’s book and research follow, possibly uninteresting to anyone other than Lanette:
    And yes, the protein advice is all over the place and Longo comes down on a much lower protein intake, especially red meats, than the typical American diet. Right now, while I’m actively trying to gain muscle and strength I’m just remembering Longo’s protein advice, not acting on it. I may reassess that in a year or two.

As for the rest - I take his advice on basing my diet on the Mediterranean diet, but incorporate foods I seem to have a genetic predisposition to (potatoes for instance are one of the few always satiating foods for me). I know that fish protein is much more the way to go than white/red meats but I’ve never been able to abide the taste of fish. So I’m going with high quality lean white meat a lot. Frankly, I just don’t see myself giving up my red meat completely- but I no longer eat the burgers, hot dog, mystery meat fast food- only home cooked roasts and lean steaks. (oh, and home made beef jerky). I do his 5 day Fast Mimicking diets several times a year as well (well a homemade version, I can’t afford the price of his 5 day Prolon box meals).

I eat very little ‘refined’ or ‘processed foods’. Rarely eat any added sugar (Homemade Christmas treats still the major exception). I Eat minimal grains (usually only old fashioned oats or minor amounts of wheat in foods prepared by others) and pretty much no rice, bread, noodles or pasta. I eat minimal dairy (small amounts of butter and cheddar cheese mostly). I cook with Avocado oil (healthy profile similar to olive oil but no taste like veggie oil) when oil is called for and keep it to a minimum. I had started these habits while losing weight but reading his book solidified them into ‘good eating’ in my mind.

So, I guess I read Longo’s book and research with great interest and incorporated much but not all of his advice into my eating habits. I’m going for sensible but not overboard- since the research is so new and still contradictory to some other seemingly sound advice.

Higher protein than he recommends really seems to work for me. But eliminating the highly fatty and fried versions, and when financially possible, attempting to get grass fed meats, had become my eating ‘good eating’ rule for proteins.

And, I’m happy to say, it was his book that finally motivated me to get a daily quota of veggies! And I’ve been doing fantastic on that front. Regularly getting 7 to 10 servings of fruit and veg a day.

And Lanette, have I shared a picture of my beloved childhood pet - a miniature schnauzer? The dog by which I still compare every dog I meet to? Lol

Rye

Rye - I think we are related! I think you are several steps ahead of me and again, I thank you for steering me into the world of Fasting. I always enjoy your posts and have learned so much from your research ;-).

Today, I'm reading "Brain Food" by Lisa Mosconi, also born in Italy. Looks to be quite good and more in line with the way I eat - eggs, whole dairy, grass fed meat, organic. She is a fan of the 5:2 fasting - I don't see her mentioned in Mosley's FastDiet book, but she might have been in his You-Tube presentation. Something to watch again.

Please post a photo of your mini schnauzer - if you already did, I can't recall. <3B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Wretched61
    Wretched61 Posts: 36 Member
    Ah, sorry about that. Thank you for the kind welcome! I'm Rachel. As of 12/17/17 I live in Lancaster PA. Before that I lived right outside of Coatesville PA.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited July 2018
    My brothers and our schnauzer circa 1972. Sniffer needs a clipping badly here. I always loved his scruffy look before he went to the dog groomers .
    j7nverws0wmr.jpeg
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    klanders30 wrote: »
    JULY already??. Thanks Barbie for reminding me the calendar has turned a page :o

Goals:
    -Exercise at the gym 6 out of 7 days
    -Eat at home, eat the food in my freezer and pantry first
    -Dig out the unused garden patch and prepare it for grass seed
    -don’t play numbers game (2048) on phone—horrible time waster! I haven’t played for 2 days straight a new record!

Here’s to a productive, healthy month!

NYKAREN

I have two games on my tablet, a puzzle game, and a starwars game. You feel so productive when you're playing it though. If there was a way to hide the game for a bit, so I don't see the icon daily, I would. Uninstalling it, would delete all my progress!!
    How about Mon/Wed/Fri NO games? Then just Tues and Thurs as gaming days only 10 minutes/ twice a day? Deal?
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    ⚓⚓💟💟⚓⚓
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    I really need to learn some tricks for posting.. We will make that a winter goal ;) Sorry so big.

Nahhhhh leave the pics big
  • lilnoramitchellandre
    lilnoramitchellandre Posts: 144 Member
    B)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    becca love the pic of you and your sis, easy to see the resemblance. As for my game obsession, I’ve got to go cold turkey on this one, the only way For this. I’m going to substitute playing with other activities. You all will help me stay accountable!

NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    well it is 100 blessed degree's outside and my friend Trudy dragged me out to home depot and ocean state job lot.. but we had a great time as usual.. have laundry in dryer, and with this heat will lay low for the rest of the day..
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Katie~ My friend Bev is in a similar situation... her 89 yr old mom lives in her home.. has severe anxiety issues,OCD and all very frail.. they finally got a live in, Bev works in boston full time and it is very hard to manage caretaking for her mom long distance.. she also has a mentally challanged brother that she is guardian too. She has her hands full..
    they have the live in and she takes good care of June, but June can't verbalize that there is just something she doesn't like.. and doesnt want to hurt feelings..I for one am glad it didn't come to that with my dad, but my DSIL has to deal with caretakers taking care of her mom.. It is a very tough road to hoe.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    stats for the day:

rowing machine- 10min, 119ahr, 148mhr, 76aw, 1822meters= 89c
    Apple Watch- 92c
    other- chin-arm dip assist machine- 10.42min, 134ahr, 151mhr, 4sets of 10ea @70#, 1set of 10 @ 55# wj/jumping squats in between ea set= 118c
    Apple Watch- 108c
    other- incline rower, incline crunch machine, incline leg push- 5sets of 10eah, in btwn standing squats 1set of 10ea machine138mhr, - 123c
    Apple Watch- forgot to turn on
    floor exercises- 8.51min, 3sets of 10ea, 6 diff exercises, 104ahr, 142mhr= 62c
    Apple Watch- 73c

total cal 392
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I watered my friend's yard this morning early as I was walking Sasha after Bessie went home. I took Sasha off the leash while I ran the sprinkler and watered the hanging plants. Suddenly I heard Sasha bark and turned expecting to see someone in the yard or next door. Instead, Sasha had seen her reflection in the garden mirror and was barking at herself.

66s7r93fqbpb.jpg

This is adorable.