WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ so excited for you about the house....cant wait to see pictures of the progress you make...
    I am awake sort of ...the dog barks and hops on me and then I get up and get dressed and he goes back to sleep.. I could have slept another hour ugh....
    I am sitting have my tea. and then have to get moving... I have my granddaughter today...and trying to figure out what to do with her today. might take her to the park...where she can play ..maybe bring a picnic lunch..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Barbie ooh, so sorry, back pain is lousy, but moving gently is the way to go and keep icing. I've sometimes used a back wrap/support, I think the compression and warmth actually helps, you're right to not do anything sudden or extreme like weed pulling. I love the feeling of getting rid of old (and toxic) clutter. I'm tackling bits and pieces almost every day.

Rori those pics are stunning, glad DH is appreciating the clearer vision, and you all are having a good visit with DB.

Lisa every pound lost will help you heal quicker, this is a very awesome motivation, you've got this.

DH and I are booking hotels for our big adventure in 3 weeks, it's getting real :o , I'm hitting the gym every day to keep up my fitness level so i can handle the plane and all the walking/touring we are expecting to do. Still plenty to tackle on my project list, today I paint outdoor handrails. But first, off for a long walk with bff.

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the wedding troubles! Poor sister!!!!!! :o Hope she gets out in time.

Rori - Great photos. Glad you bonded with your brother. <3

Barbie - Hoping for great progress for Jake. <3

Lisa - Can't wait to hear about the closing. :D

Busy right now at Edie"s show, but will post later

Love Heather UK XXXXXX

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    I am stuck eating bad, stuff and have to get back on track.. Pips boot would help. and everyone else for that matter... going to go through paperwork today.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Margaret What are the best sources of naturally occurring vitamin D in food?

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Margaret What are the best sources of naturally occurring vitamin D in food?

Karen in Virginia

The best source of naturally occurring Vitamin D is ... sunshine! :)

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Karen When I looked it up they said salmon, herring, cod liver oil, egg yolks, mushrooms. There are fortified foods, but as I mentioned if you choose them make sure you add some fat. Probably true for mushrooms too. I like to cook mine in butter or coconut oil. Still best to get some sunshine if possible.( In agreement with M in Oz ). I know if you take a supplement D3 is best. I guess you can actually sometimes get too much. As a culture we are more on the deficient side. Especially living up here in the North we get even less of the kind of light you need to get your needed Vit D especially in the winter. I know you can have your levels tested. Some on here mentioned that. They also mentioned they had to pay for the test which does not seem right to me.

Allie think does this food nourish me and help me feel strong. If not find foods that do. The irony is it is easy to overeat on the foods that don't nourish because you keep eating them trying to satisfy your body. They cannot do that. It is much more difficult to over do on nourishing food because they will satisfy. Again come down to want it/ need it. You decide what is going to help you more in the long run.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Margaret - it was likely me who mentioned testing for Vitamin D3 levels. From my prior experience (10 - 15 yrs ago) insurance didn't want to pay for the test which was several hundred dollars unless a person had suspicion of low levels due to corticosteroids (being on prednisone for long periods of time for example) or a diagnosis of osteopenia.

Sadly, by that time it is too late in my opinion. Our new doc who doesn't take insurance can get the test done for $40 which I gladly pay out of my own pocket every couple years. Even at supplementing at 5000 IU/day I am in the lower end of adequate. I didn't go out in the sun for years due to being on tetracycline for rosacea.

To me, this Vitamin D3 test should be covered as preventative care like mammograms and colon cancer screenings. I consider it even higher priority since there's been research indicating it aids in cancer prevention.

I see Vitamin D3 is added to the whole organic milk I buy. D2 is added to the Hemp Milk we use.

Cathy - thank you for the link to the first episode of "The Real Skinny on Fat". I watched most of the 2nd episode - fast forwarded through parts of it, I cannot sit still for 2 hours (hurts my back). I thought it was good and worth the time. I liked the information that a person doesn't have to fast all the time to retune the body into burning fat... I think Mosley's idea of low carb a couple days a week then Mediterranean the other days has a lot of merit.

Lisa - before I forget... I know you are in the middle of walk through and closing today - congrats! When you get a chance, I'd like your opinion on that little exercise peddler you got when you lived out east. Do you still use it? And even if you don't, would you recommend it? I don't have room for a recumbent bike but would like to have something easy to story that might also boost my cardio a little. Did it do that for you? Thanks in advance. Good for you on your weight loss journey and knee replacement. A good goal! <3

OK I am out of here for most of the day. Allergy shots, errands, shopping, lunch with good friend. Catch you later!

Lanette
    Cool and cloudy SW WA State
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Margaret I looked Vit D up, too. Looks like wild-caught fatty fish, egg yolks from pastured eggs, & some organ meats, butter from pastured cows. It's not really easy to get enough Vit D without sunshine or supplements/fortified foods, is it?

Karen in Virginia