WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Regarding washer/dryers ...

We had a front load washer ... and didn't like it. It died in a couple years, so we got rid of it, and got a top load. Much better for us!

Dryer ... in Australia, a few people have dryers. Most of the rest of us have drying racks and lines outside. Unless I'm travelling and have access to a laudromat, I hang dry everything. I've got a drying rack with my stuff sitting beside me right now. :)

Machka in Oz.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Saturday -- My husband and I wandered around Bunnings to collect the material for a small raised garden he would like to set up.

Then we set up one of his bicycles on a trainer!! It seems to work ... he got on and pedalled for a few seconds to try it out.

Later in the evening, when the TDF came on, I did a ride ...

Distance: 19.48km
    Elevation: 221m
    Moving Time: 51:18
    Elapsed Time: 51:18

...................... Avg ............... Max
    Speed ............. 22.8km/h ........ 57.2km/h
    Heart Rate ...... 139bpm .......... 172bpm
    Cadence ......... 84 .................. 138
    Power ............ 98W ............... 251W

Only down-side of the day ... I broke another tooth. A misguided dentist when I was a teen, long-distance cycling, and being a tooth grinder have absolutely destroyed my teeth.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Machka - my sympathies... not something you need just now. I grind my teeth, as well, and in fact, got up to get one of the disposable mouthguards that keep me from it. Between work, the house, etc., happening almost every night right now. Started worrying about cracking a tooth.

Heather and all who post them
    - love the pics of the kids, the blankets, all of it.

Pip - no, not the boot! Anything but that! :wink:

Kim - when there are two narratives, it's called "dual perspective" or dual point-of-view. When the story jumps back and forth in time, someone else called them "flashbacks," and JanetR called it "confusing." Both are correct, and flashbacks are much despised by certain schools of thought. They can definitely be overdone, but when used sparingly can be helpful for the emotional thread of the novel. They do tend to throw most readers out of the story, however, as it makes them try to figure out timelines, and disturbs the flow...

CJ - so good to see you posting again.

For those missing Joyce and DJ - I do continue to see them post occasionally on Facebook, or liking my blog posts on the Facebook connection.

Lisa in Arkansas

I love yogi's facial expressions, I don't do anything to the little dude
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Rita so glad you are okay!

Lisa happy for you! Glad you can catch your breath.
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I continue to be fascinated by the information contained in the web series “The Real Skinny on Fat”.

I am watching it on my IPad after I go to bed. Actually, I have been going to bed earlier in order to watch the episodes.

Dr. Steven Gundry’s interview was very good. It is at 1:10:00 in episode 4. For one thing he reiterates the importance of
    Vitamin D. He wrote the book “The Plant Paradox” which recently gained a lot of publicity when Kelly Clarisonic mentioned in
    an interview reading this book led to her 40 lb weight loss.

The bonus interview with Beth Zupec-Kania includes anecdotal information regarding using Ketosis to mitigate hot flashes and
    migraines. This portion is approximately at 37 minutes into her interview.

There is an additional interview not mentioned below with Dr. Mary Newport who became well known when she added coconut oil and then MCT oil to her husbands diet and saw an immediate improvement to his cognitive function. He had Alzheimer’s. Her interview begins at 00:32:35.

https://www.therealskinnyonfat.com/episodes/4-e-sof.html

Cathy, Arlington, TX

Welcome to Episode Four: CHANGE YOUR METABOLISM FOR GOOD!

The unique set up of interviews tonight is packed with game-changing information, so be sure to make some time to take it

Thomas DeLauer, is an entrepreneur and performance coach - who lost over 100 pounds and went from overweight to modeling on the cover of men’s fitness magazines!

Dr. Steven Gundry is a world-renowned heart surgeon who specializes in the most difficult, “hopeless” cases.

30 years ago, his career was turned upside down when he encountered a patient who, despite having a terrible prognosis, was able to reverse his inoperable heart condition using diet alone.

Today, Dr. Gundry has devoted his life to improving health through diet and nutrition.

James Chestnut MS DC is the son of a PhD biologist, who grew up to become a physiologist and then chiropractor. He has dedicated the past 20 years studying why we have a pandemic of chronic illness. We currently have the sickest population, from toddlers and teenagers, to adults and the elderly.

You might be surprised that our problems have nothing to do with our genes! (He’ll tell you exactly what it is instead).

And…don’t miss this episode’s bonus interview! Beth Zupec-Kania is a clinical dietitian who has devoted 25 years of her life to studying the ketogenic diet. Her work with children who have epilepsy is inspiring, and she’s dedicated to helping kids control their seizures with diet, rather than drugs. You’ll learn a lot about the ketogenic diet and how to help kids stick to it, and this interview will be a huge help to anyone who’s considering following a keto diet. is a clinical dietitian who has devoted 25 years of her life to studying the ketogenic diet. Her work with children who have epilepsy is inspiring, and she’s dedicated to helping kids control their seizures with diet, rather than drugs. You’ll learn a lot about the ketogenic diet and how to help kids stick to it, and this interview will be a huge help to anyone who’s considering following a keto diet.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dont mind the crazy skull picture behind that is a tray of the office managers head :o:o this was my dad's favorite shirt so this is the one that I kept....
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Kidd Kirby says hi!
    0bqhw9atfxfq.png

Rita glad everything seems to have turned out ok.

CJ et all I did maneuver- coax Kidd Kirby to sleep on my foot. Didn’t get him to purr while there tho. Lol

Okie Have I told you I find your conquering of maintenance inspiring? I suppose I am ‘successful’ at it but it is such a struggle for me, I hope to get to your seeming mastery some time.!

Barbara as another city-gal I too find myself bemused by the activities and entertainments of more rural areas. But when it comes down to it I love both ways of life.

Kylia Always happy to see you, and you are always so busy! You give me big smiles!

KJ did your daughter return home? I’ve been busy and might have missed it.

Wendy what a busy retirement. It sounds like time with mama was just what your daughter needed but I hope you got some beach and horse time for yourself too!

Sue and Kim Monday will be three weeks since the broken toe. I buddy taped it for the first two, but that drove me crazy. Now it doesn’t hurt unless I’m walking or moving with weight on the foot so it is improving, but I’m just a grump about it.

Michelle I love blackout curtains! we actually use black out curtains all over our house. Our Den has a wall of floor to ceiling windows (facing our neighbors fence!) so we put up 6 Black-out curtains in black and put our TV in front of them. There where also two double door closets in the den and we removed the doors and put up curtains on them too. The den actually looks a bit like a tiny movie theater. We like that, but it can only seat 3 and we don’t have another TV so that limits some forms of socializing like ‘watch the game’ a John’s place. I also put up a blackout and thermal curtain at my bedroom. It keeps our bedroom dark and cool (and that lets us keep the rest of the house a couple of degrees warmer in the summer) but lets the cats in and out at will.

Our den - or what it really is, John’s Man and feline cave - lol.
    z59xo0i6ljkt.png

I am very squeamish with regards to teeth and injuries/surgical scars etc so will just keep good thoughts for quick recoveries for those who are enduring them.

109 degrees F here yesterday, think it is supposed to be similar today :(. But since I can’t walk any distance with the broken toe, I suppose the weather came at the best time possible. (Looking for a silver lining).

Rye in HOT TX.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ Love your pillow!

Lisa ~ Happy your closing went well. Now all the hard work starts and I don't envy you that.

Barbara ~ Thanks for yours and others suggestions. I have talked to him and he refuses to ebb the tirades. I will probably cancel the upcoming 5 hr trip. That seems to be the best thing to do. We have not been on a trip in over 3 yrs.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, my line dance class is a beginner class that welcomes people who have never danced along with all the regular students who have been dancing for weeks, months or years. We dance beginner dances. The newest dance is "A Little Oh Na Na" danced to "Cake by the Ocean". The dance is 32 count four wall, a little fast but with steps that are familiar. The tricky part is that there are two restarts. One is early in the dance after 8 counts and requires turning from the side wall to the back to restart. The second is later in the dance after 16 counts. Both restarts are easy to hear in the music for anyone who is actually listening to the music. Attendance in my class is hit or miss so yesterday was the third week I taught the dance but the class had many who were seeing the dance for the first or second time. Nevertheless, it got lots of applause and we danced it twice. I assured them that they all know it by Labor Day and not to stress if it took awhile.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    Janet-no not my responsibility,but both work all day,everyday except Sunday so since I am the only grandparents that drives I am the go to..I will have Tuesdays off.and she will be able to walk herself to school as it's less than a 1/4 to her school.I was the one getting her on the bus most mornings when Tracy had to work early..also with the new hours I won't be able to feed my DFIL but twice a week....I will miss that..but he is in somewhere that they should be taking care of him...today after work have to go home and go through alot of paperwork get it all in order..
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Carol is there anyway that you and a friend could drive? Is there a bus? I am so sorry that you are missing out because of someone else's bad behavior. Have you both taken the AARP or an insurance company driving class? In addition to shaving a hefty discount on your auto policy, it may be a real eye opener to your husband. Many states and local adult ed programs also offer the course. Approaching this as a money saver rather than a critique of behavior might defuse a bit of the anger.
    CJ
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Jenna in TNWhat does AF mean? I looked it up in an acronym dictionary but no definitions seemed to apply.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    CJ ~ When my husband was an officer at Ft Knox back in the early 70's he actually taught defensive driving.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Could AF stand for alcohol free??