WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Replies

• CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Karen in NY Try putting hot pepper laced suet in a feeder right next to the entry where the squirrels get into your attic. Other than setting up a motion activated water hose, I can't think of anything squirrels hate more. It is the only thing keeping those ##***#### critters away from my feeders and the roof.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • CSSJ09
    Rye I love it! If Mr. Kidd Kirby will sit on your toes and purr, may I borrow him tomorrow? I will be in desperate need. Riding for the first time in well over a year. Barely squeezing into pants. Light tan and show every single pump and pound.
    CJ
  • CSSJ09
    Lanette A friend and I built a replacement deck from composite boards. You are right about picking quality. I don't think that this material is any hotter than the old treated lumber deck in summer. We also replaced another deck with wood on another house. Unfortunately, it has to be restained every few years. Check with your Extension Service or vo-tech schools as to pros and cons of both and the best brands. Also, get recommendations for composite installers. Not the same as working with wood. Good luck and send pics when done! CJ
  • CSSJ09
    Heather lovely pictures. I remember the baby pictures. I can't believe the difference! Enjoy! CJ
  • CSSJ09
    Rebecca You are amazing to keep us so informed. Knowledge is so helpful to dispelling any fears about procedures. Thank you for being brave enough to share.
    Janet what a nice picture. Cheerful beats makeup on any day.
    Cheri I meant to comment on the lovely new home a few days ago but got behind. So now you are permanent Texans? I remember the worrying job search and your move south. It is wonderful that it has had a happy result.
    Pip what are you doing to that sad, neglected, forgotten animal? Really! What a face. Does he need a 🚲?
    Matchka (((Hugs)))
    RitaThe pictures of the canyons are breathtaking. So much beauty and majesty in the formations. They are spectacular even without the color that vegetation adds. The subtle color changes in the rock layers really forces me to concentrate on the scenery. Great photography.
    CJ
  • CSSJ09
    Sue sending lots of hope that your sister makes it to the wedding. What a whirlwind of wedding activity lately.
    Barbie (((Hugs))) and thoughts for recovered health- and soon, with no long term consequences from treatment.
    Lisa Good luck on the closing.
    CJ
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2018
    Machka - my sympathies... not something you need just now. I grind my teeth, as well, and in fact, got up to get one of the disposable mouthguards that keep me from it. Between work, the house, etc., happening almost every night right now. Started worrying about cracking a tooth.

Heather and all who post them
    - love the pics of the kids, the blankets, all of it.

Pip - no, not the boot! Anything but that! :wink:

Kim - when there are two narratives, it's called "dual perspective" or dual point-of-view. When the story jumps back and forth in time, someone else called them "flashbacks," and JanetR called it "confusing." Both are correct, and flashbacks are much despised by certain schools of thought. They can definitely be overdone, but when used sparingly can be helpful for the emotional thread of the novel. They do tend to throw most readers out of the story, however, as it makes them try to figure out timelines, and disturbs the flow...

CJ - so good to see you posting again.

For those missing Joyce and DJ - I do continue to see them post occasionally on Facebook, or liking my blog posts on the Facebook connection.

Lisa in Arkansas
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    aww Lisa~ congratulations to you and Corey , how thrilling for you both...
    I slept pretty well and I am up and dressed for work...I really am not thrilled that I work every Saterday,but will take occasional ones off..
    we are in for a bit of messy weather coming in this weekend and following week. will have to sit down and figure out Tals schedule and figure out how I will work it in..will be getting up earlier and will get on back on track with eating and getting exercise back into the routine...
    having my tea and will walk Alfie...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Lisa - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I do envy you being able to fix it up before you move in. :)

Cheri - Gorgeous blankets! :D:p

In recovery mode today. Don't know where DH gets his stamina from. ;):* We were both shattered, but he did far more than I. I even snatched twenty minutes sleep while he and Edie had quiet time, with reading practice.

I have to admit here to feeling a bit of envy of my DDIL's burgeoning career. She has just got a new book deal and gets lots of media coverage. She has worked very hard for it and their lives are incredibly busy in a way which exhausts me just thinking about it, but a little squeak of envy rises in my bosom. I don't like that feeling and I am ashamed of it, but she has found the knack of selling herself that I haven't. I may yet have to embrace social media, which horrifies me. I had a good career as a children's writer and playwright, but I feel there is a new me to offer to the world. I've just got to find my niche and my outlet.
    Anyway, good to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening. <3

New cleaner is here. She looked a bit overwhelmed, but I assured her I only expected her to do half the house. It'll take a while for us to get used to each other. I wouldn't say she is super fit.

We will have to sit down at some point and work out what is going where and what to get rid of. It may be that the exercise machines will fit into the smallest bedroom after all as the agents did not have the right measurements. The fridge and freezer business is complicated.

Missing the grandchildren already. <3<3<3
    Shan't see them for a while.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx who has done her exercises. :D
  • LisaInAR
    Heather - Just a thought. Why don't you ask your DDIL's advice? It's possible you have already, but if not, perhaps it would draw you even closer if she feels she can advise you on the first steps to safely take into social media.

Thanks for the congrats on the house. We're reminding ourselves that we honestly have as long as we need, including the entire nine months still remaining on our lease, before we MUST move in. There is no hurry. It's not a situation we've ever experienced before.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Greetings!
    I am still around, but need to get ready for work.

Meg- I totally understand!!!! I am almost, almost caught up with work paperwork. Now just want to get rid of stuffs in the house! I have many days I feel overwhelmed. These ladies definately help keep me grounded. Hugs!

Washer/dryer- Sorry don't remember who asked and short on time. I LOVE my Maytag Neptune front loaders. We had Maytag top loaders that were 30 years old when we replaced. I have had the new ones over 12 years. Only problem was a torn gasket a few years ago. Easier for me to squat down then to climb in! ;)

Exes- We remain amicable. We have done many activities with regards to our children and grandchildren together. This includes a trip to Disney, with all of us staying in the same house. Reckon the most interesting part of that is he married one of my friends.......

Allie- I have to avoid buying foam filled beds! My Sara apparently doesn't like them and chews them up. If I get fluff filled ones, they last a long time. Crate is a safe zone. My sanity is locked in kitchen at night to avoid piddles in the morning.

Just started page 46!

Gotta run!

Congrats! Hugs! Support!
    <3
    Kylia
    In it is finally raining and turning green again in OH
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Good morning Ladies -

On washer/dryers - I love my front load washer. We have septic, and the front load uses much less water which in turn helps with the septic system. I haven't had any problems with mildew, but I don't close the door all the way, mine has a "latch" that holds it open a bit so it can breathe and dry. I think they all have that now. I do have mine on the pedestals so I don't have to bend so far.

Allie - Perhaps while you are planning out your new normal, you can plan in when you can fit in exercise and meal prep. Meal prep can be as simple as what you want to make for the week to as complex as you cook everything one day of the week to carry you through the following week. I kind of meet in the middle on that one. I have all my salad fixings chopped and ready to throw together each day for my lunch salad. I know what I am going to make for dinner each night, but I don't precook anything. Well, my protein is usually cooked and frozen in portion sizes appropriate for me. My easy go to dinner when I don't want to cook is to steam a bag of frozen vegetables to almost done and then toss them in a frying pan with egg whites and make a scramble out of them (using the egg whites for protein). You can cook the eggs separately to make true scrambled eggs if you wish. I kind of coat the veggies with them so they almost disappear. You can throw on cheese if you would like as well. Sometimes when I am trying to get more fat in I will meat some sharp cheddar over them. Yum.

Lisa - Congrats on the easy closing!

I'm down another 1.8 lbs this morning. I think the water weight is probably gone now and I'll settle in again where I am at, which is a good place.

Happy Saturday!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    congrats Lisa I am so happy for you all, now get some sleep, this is your forever home savor it!

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    I did get a few more hours sleep, I swear. And my husband and son are both awake, so it's off to the new digs, armed with every cleaning product I can find... and a few I still need to buy!

Love y'all!
    Lisa
  • jadesothermimi
    jadesothermimi Posts: 2 Member
    Wow, you ladies are amazing..