WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't believe some of you ladies can't touch the ground! You need to go to yoga! ! ! A flexible back is so important. :D I do back flexibility every day.

I've never, ever been able to touch the ground. Not when I was 5 or 6 years old. Not even when I took 2 years of yoga.

My upper body is quite flexible. I can do the thing where you reach over your right shoulder with your right arm, and reach behind with your left arm and grip your fingers in the middle of your back.

But my lower back/hamstrings have always been tight. I've also always had very long legs and a short torso. When I buy tights (the kind you wear under a dress), even when I've been borderline underweight, I've had to buy queen-sized or X-Tall to get them to fit. And I have a lot of difficulty finding pants that fit. Any number will fit me in the waist and hips, but the leg length is so short. I'm always excited when I find some long enough for me.

M in Oz

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, I can't believe some of you ladies can't touch the ground! You need to go to yoga! ! ! A flexible back is so important. :D I do back flexibility every day.

I've also always had very long legs and a short torso. When I buy tights (the kind you wear under a dress), even when I've been borderline underweight, I've had to buy queen-sized or X-Tall to get them to fit. And I have a lot of difficulty finding pants that fit. Any number will fit me in the waist and hips, but the leg length is so short. I'm always excited when I find some long enough for me.

M in Oz

Exactly me too!

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The music my son used for the video was "No Place (I'd rather be ) sung by Jess Glynne.
    I've just downloaded it for my Running play list. :D<3

Off to do my bonus cycling.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Just talked to my friend. It seems they did tell her before roofing they could not give her the 0%. She just heard that and went from there. Praying for her that she can refinance it through her credit union to get a better interest.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Tracey from EdmontonWant to re-frame my attitude about cleaning house. I loathe it and so resist doing it! Soon as a floor is swept, specs and stuff reappear. Soon as cabinets and shelves are wiped, dust and grime are back. The "perfect" (ROTFLMAO) is the enemy of not-nearly-as-bad-as-it was. BUT you may have sensed something I've avoided. This month I've just been off, not motivated to meditate, take care of my knees, even struggling to get my self out to line dance class. Thank you for pointing out the obvious that I was refusing to see! You are so right that depression causes so many other issues. Time to meditate and ask for help.
    Lanette I'm woefully ignorant about Prime Video, is that and Acorn included with annual Amazon Prime? Do you watch on your pc? Love mysteries and think if I watched on laptop in office while stepping it would be better than sitting on my butt watching TV and... :noway: eating...
    Rye how terrifying to be flooded in car TWICE in your lifetime!
    Hola KJ! "House humorous", brilliant! Will meditate on that which "downs" me most and see what I can to to make me smile at it affectionately!
    Michele "... and the dirt will still be here" Thanks and Amen, sister! When we had a tree removed, the guys had a "stump grinder" that totally made the stump disappear. Maybe getting your website privileges back is a mixed blessing? ;)
    Barbie thanks for the gratitude reminder. Keep us in your pocket at today's appointment
    Rebecca squirrel, mushroom, tiny bird pic :love:
    Kim glad your flourishing business allowed you to get the tires. Want you to be safe!
    Heather wish you could post the video to YouTube but understand you wouldn't want to make it public.
    Rori would Reuben move to the Southern Oregon coast? :smile:

Touch toes, like Margaret can brush ground with fingertips and slowly carefully return up. Part of semi-weekly T'ai Chi class.

Welcome swagosweet, maue! Let us know what you'd like to be called and roughly where you are.
    Getting down on the floor NOW to meditate and take care of those neglected knees.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 19/21, meditate 8/21, walk one more step 8/21, knee exercises 8/21, core 5/12, walk Tumble 10/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/1, AF 15/21
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Happy to report I tried and yes I can still touch the ground. Barely, but it is there. One of my goals is to get more stretching in. Took advantage of my younger body and did not stretch like I should, but now I can tell as I get sore more often.
    Great Wisconsin summer day today. Lots of sun, high 70s and no humidity. Some say a fall feel, but I LOVE this weather as opposed to 90 and humid. Looking forward to my walk.
    Hi to all, love reading all the information/stories.
    Inspirational!
    Lynn in WI
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Just talked to my friend. It seems they did tell her before roofing they could not give her the 0%. She just heard that and went from there. Praying for her that she can refinance it through her credit union to get a better interest.

Margaret
    - wow, I would also be concerned at the quality of the work if it's not a local company.

We might pay a little more but always have used local roofers. When they re-roofed my DH's shop a few years ago, they failed to mention/notice that some of the 2X4's supporting the sub roof needed to be replaced which my DH saw after the job was done (he was quite ill throughout the whole process so wasn't there to "supervise" it, lol). They came right out and made that structural repair and put on new shingles. No charge.

Barbie
    - We bought a similar recliner this spring, except it has a taller back but it's also a leather pushback with the nail accents on the front. I like it for watching a little TV. Actually the most comfortable place for me to sit is on the sofa but DH is generally stretched out on it. :/ But that's where I sit when I get up in the morning and he's a late riser.

I just tried touching my toes. Slow and easy does it, lol. Long torso, long legs, short arms tho. Isn't it funny how we are all put together just a little differently?

Just started a book from the library called "Choosing the StrongPath" about how people tend to "waste away" as they age, especially after retirement from sitting a lot and other things. I think of my mom and grandfather who parked themselves in their chairs in front of the TV after retirement and eventually had broken hips and dementia and spent their last days in nursing homes. I'm seeing that in my DH - he's not exactly "demented" yet, lol, but because of arthritis and PAD he walks slower and slower and sits or lies on the sofa in front of that tube for hours at a time. :'(

The author emphasizes strength training of course. The smoky air is making me crazy as I can't walk in it or even putz around in the garden for more than a few minutes - tomorrow the fresh air is supposed to blow in B)

Also have a book arriving from Amazon today: "The New Rules of Posture" I picked it up at the library last week so got a preview. With sitting and especially computer work, my posture is generally suffering as well as joints. She has recommendations and exercises.

I am glad there's a trend starting toward senior fitness and health but I wish more doctors specialized in it. It used to be "sit more and be careful so you don't fall and take some pills for your blood pressure and diabetes". I think that's slowly changing but we need to be the ones to demand more from the medical field and public perception in general.

So many of us on this list have taken charge of our health and left our doc's in the dust, lol. It takes perseverance and concentration but we can form new good habits!!

I am shoe shopping again. I need something without real squishy soles like my New Balance walking shoes have that I can wear in the house. Slippers make my ankle hurt and nearly give me a shin splint on my "good" leg. The new Easy Spirit pair that I just took out of the box I purchased over the internet are half a size too big with a too-wide toebox and I keep tripping over them. I bought them a couple years ago when I was wearing thick socks before my stone bruise/cortisone shot/metatarsalgia flared up in my left foot - liked them a lot so bought an extra pair to stash away. Sigh.

We have a store in town that sells Keen and other higher-end brands so I'm hoping for a good fit.

OK ladies I'd better get moving! Have a good day!

Lanette
    Smoky and hot (but not for long according to the weatherman) SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD - Amazon video is part of your Amazon Prime subscription so check it out.

We pay extra each month for Acorn $5.38 which includes WA sales tax and Britbox $7.54 w/tax. I watch shows on these almost exclusively, some on the PC but mostly on my little tablet which I take to bed each nite and I can put on bluescreen. I sometimes use earbuds but always have these on close-captioned.

For us these are much better deals than Showtime, Stars, Hulu and Netflix since we watch them daily.

I want Santa to bring me a larger Amazon Fire tablet for Christmas. Have been stalling because I am not fond of Alexa listening in, snoopy B *kitten*. I've uninstalled her in my old one several times but Amazon keeps putting her on there. I'll probably be stuck with her permanently on a new model. If I was disabled or ill, I could see the benefit.

Good luck getting back in your exercise/meditation groove. <3 I call this time of the year "summer slump" as I'm often not motivated to do a lot of things since I don't like outside temperature above 70, lol. And doing things outside like tree planting B) can be overwhelming because I look around and see so much more that needs to be done!

And I agree about housecleaning! A day later it's dirty again!! Oh heck, sometimes it only takes an hour or less. That's the good thing about finally hiring a housecleaner again. We can actually see the difference and since we paid someone to get it that way, we are more motivated to keep it clean, at least for an extra day or two. B)

Suebdew - do you ever sell pecans in the shell? If you have bunches that tend to go to waste (like small English walnuts do around here....we cannot get walnut trees to grow here but friends a few miles away seem to have no problem and they are yummy) maybe we can make a deal. I sure miss my dad's farm in Indiana - he had butternut trees growing in the woods and they were good though not well known.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    B
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Happiness today. I discovered a new decluttering project! :D
    My large wicker basket in my bathroom cabinet. :o
    I have been putting the free toiletries you get in hotels into it. Plus from the cruises. It was absolutely FULL.
    I have thrown away a whole load, kept just a very few of the nicest ones for future guests and now have a selection on my bed to give away. My cleaner can gave first choice - she has four growing kids. Anything left can go to a homeless charity. A lady round the corner takes donations for a church project.
    What a relief to do something with that huge box. How many shower caps does one person need!??! I do use the occasional one for bread rising. :)
    This is the give away selection.
    78g0wt5gugoa.jpg

Now I just have to do the rest of the cabinet.

I just LOVE decluttering. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx

Charity loves those small toiletries! When we visited the food banks I always got some, and it made me feel special💗. You are doing good things, even though you're decluttering!👍
    Love Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    What I am discovering are my good days. Days I can rely on to eat good food choices, stay within my macros and guarantee a little loss even. That really empowers me. When I have a slip up like my stupid pop tarts last night, I shall eat good things today.

Well our neighbors are moving in next door. Must be moving from within our city, because they have done many trips back and forth so far. Next week I shall talk to them about pruning our raspberry bushes. We kind of share them, so we need to organize it together.

Still really smoky here. Its really bad on the mainland. Seattle's air quality is so awful, if you exercise out in it, its like smoking 9 cigarettes!

Tomorrow is husband's ENT doctor appointment in Mt Vernon. Then we are going to a Fred Meyer store in Burlingame. I have to drive, and so it should be interesting. I am not looking forward to it, but I'll do it.

Rebecca 💗
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    KJ - Today I watched three half hour programmes from the BBC on Mexican crafts. They were fabulous! The bonus for me was that they were all in Spanish with sub titles. Hooray! So I did my cycling to two of them, enjoyed myself and revised some Spanish all at the same time. Win, win, win. :D
    We are incredibly lucky in Britain in that our tv is all free on the Web. So I can catch up on any tv programme on my tablet or phone while I'm exercising. I can also watch BBC contemporaneously. No charge. We pay one licence fee. Very cheap in my opinion.

Yes Barbara, do download some Soul Music podcasts. Last running day I listened to Crazy - Patsy Kline and A Shopshire Lad. Crazy was especially interesting. I hardly notice I'm running!

I even did some memoir this afternoon - just a few sentences, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure I'm on the right track, but at least I've set foot in the forest.

Then after dinner I sent a "disgusted and frustrated" email to our estate agent, to the girl who is meant to be coordinating our chain. It makes me feel better, but I hope DH will get on the job tomorrow.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    ergmornbvi8s.jpg
    💗👍 Rebecca