• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So.

Pecan rolls. Are we talking about this:

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

(and I probably answered my own question, but Pecan Log roll is where my mind went. It's like Divinity wrapped in Excellence. )

4packpecanlogs__60586.1443554550.600.600.jpg?c=2

The top one. But the bus can pick up some of the pecan logs for the road.

(Don't worry: Yoga 7A, Zumba 11A, Karate lessons 1P, mountain trail scramble 3P, boulder lift/toss 5P, line/square/contra/country-swing dancing 7P. All activities available but optional; participants may organize other options. We'll hook up a bike/canoe/SUP/kayak/rowing shell trailer to the bus, and stow weights/racks/benches/kettlebells/rowing machine/elliptical in the underbus luggage area with your suitcases. One large roll-y bag, one standard carry-on, one personal item (day pack/briefcase/purse/small tote) per person, please, to allow room for shared exercise equipment. Volunteer musicians for dancing may add instrument (no grand/upright pianos, please; max of 2 upright bass). Regular stops at laundromats for washing workout/dance clothes . . . and for pecan rolls, naturally. :) )

Hmmm... I may have to revisit our current handbasket plan. As it is we were all going to squeeze in there is as much cake as we could fit. Although, given our destination, I feel like we could reduce luggage, I hear it's hot enough that clothing would not likely be needed.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    serious question:

If there is so much doubt (and much of it negative in nature) about HFCS, why even eat it at all ?

It's a very affordable additive for so many products.... but 'So What?'. That benefits the companies that sell the products but might not necessarily benefit the end user.

There are much better options other than HFCS, right?

Why not just have those?

Anyone eating a nutrient-dense overall diet, being active, maintaining a healthy body weight, hitting solid macro targets, eating plenty of varied & colorful veg/fruit - which is an excellent plan IMO - need not worry about Evil HFCS.

The other stuff (nutrition, activity, personal accountability) is supposedly hard, so some people blame HFCS (and so-called "evil" corporations that make so-called "addictive" "hyperpalatable" foods that contain it).

Just my opinion.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

(and I probably answered my own question, but Pecan Log roll is where my mind went. It's like Divinity wrapped in Excellence. )

(Don't worry: Yoga 7A, Zumba 11A, Karate lessons 1P, mountain trail scramble 3P, boulder lift/toss 5P, line/square/contra/country-swing dancing 7P. All activities available but optional; participants may organize other options. We'll hook up a bike/canoe/SUP/kayak/rowing shell trailer to the bus, and stow weights/racks/benches/kettlebells/rowing machine/elliptical in the underbus luggage area with your suitcases. One large roll-y bag, one standard carry-on, one personal item (day pack/briefcase/purse/small tote) per person, please, to allow room for shared exercise equipment. Volunteer musicians for dancing may add instrument (no grand/upright pianos, please; max of 2 upright bass). Regular stops at laundromats for washing workout/dance clothes . . . and for pecan rolls, naturally. :) )

Hmmm... I may have to revisit our current handbasket plan. As it is we were all going to squeeze in there is as much cake as we could fit. Although, given our destination, I feel like we could reduce luggage, I hear it's hot enough that clothing would not likely be needed.

Mega LOLZ!

Might need some clothing en route, though. Some of us are shyer than others; some of us are cuter than others. ;)

Remember: It's all about the journey. ;););)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    That list of breads...

How many of us knew the #1 answer without even scrolling down?

Also, I bet we could get that bus to run on HFCS, right? It's gotta count as biodiesel.

I was secretly hoping for it to be #1. And there it was in all it's glory. I could seriously just eat those and skip the lobster. Sadly, living in a small place, I have not been able to experience all of the bready goodness. I'm surprised Famous Dave's corn bread muffins didn't make the list. I do not want to know the amount of butter and honey they contain. But again screw the BBQ I could just eat the muffins lol.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    serious question:

If there is so much doubt (and much of it negative in nature) about HFCS, why even eat it at all ?

It's a very affordable additive for so many products.... but 'So What?'. That benefits the companies that sell the products but might not necessarily benefit the end user.

Why not just have those?

I don't understand why companies would put "toxinz" in their foods anyway. Killing off their customer base seems to be a bad long-term business plan.

Because it's a very cheap additive and adds to company profits.

There's a good chance that, by itself, HFCS won't kill anyone, however maybe it's just part of a bigger, nutritional problem.

The profits generated today might not kill anyone, if not today, maybe not even in the next few years.

That being said..... Profit Uber Alles.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

Mega LOLZ!

Might need some clothing en route, though. Some of us are shyer than others; some of us are cuter than others. ;)

Remember: It's all about the journey. ;););)

Just adds to the phrase "taking the scenic route." :laugh:
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2018
    Options
    serious question:

Why not just have those?

I don't understand why companies would put "toxinz" in their foods anyway. Killing off their customer base seems to be a bad long-term business plan.

There's a good chance that, by itself, HFCS won't kill anyone, however maybe it's just part of a bigger, nutritional problem.

The profits generated today might not kill anyone, if not today, maybe not even in the next few years.

Profit is good. (Truth in advertising: I say that as a retiree dependent on my earned/saved IRA $$$ to live).

Lack of personal responsibility kills. Without it (and a bundle of privilege/luck, I admit) I wouldn't have those IRA $$$.

Lack of personal responsibility isn't the only thing that kills, but it's one, for sure. In the realm of first-world non-poverty eating & activity level, it's the most significant individually controllable thing that kills, IMO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with inexpensive food?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    serious question:

Why not just have those?

Profit is good. (Truth in advertising: I say that as a retiree dependent on my earned/saved IRA $$$ to live).

Lack of personal responsibility kills. Without it (and a bundle of privilege/luck, I admit) I wouldn't have those IRA $$$.

Lack of personal responsibility isn't the only thing that kills, but it's one, for sure. In the realm of first-world non-poverty eating & activity level, it's the most significant individually controllable thing that kills, IMO.

Of course profit is good.

Should HFCS be legal? Sure.

Will I eat it when there are better options? Nope.

• Motorsheen
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    What is wrong with inexpensive food?

Not a thing.

Healthy food should be affordable and available to all.

There just happens to be more advertising dollars thrown at promoting fast food dollar meals than fruits and vegetables.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    here's some insight from the NIH; draw your own conclusions:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3522469/

Thanks for that. From this study it appears to me that HFCS can lead to weight gain because it does nothing for satiety as it can interfere with the production of leptin. This can easily result in overeating if you are not mindful of consumed calories, well in mice anyway.

Have I read this correctly? If so, those pecan rolls are simply marvellous as part of a controlled, balanced diet.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

So what I'm getting from this is that we're going to hell in a handbasket.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

I think that bus went long ago..........
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

Not everyone, but I have a group rounded up already. You're welcome to join us, if that is the direction you're heading.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

Not everyone, but I have a group rounded up already. You're welcome to join us, if that is the direction you're heading.

I've lost track of where the pecan rolls are.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    So.

IMG_8982.jpg

or this:

I've lost track of where the pecan rolls are.

That's a different bus. I was just going to steal some of the travel ideas for the handbasket bus.