What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• Pannduh
    Pannduh Posts: 89 Member
    @weatherking2019 thanks! Your stir fry looks really good.

Pork chops with corn and mashed potatoes. izn0p4vp4g9z.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Monday evening (08/26): first day back from vacation, and "back on the plan": grilled lemon-pepper cod, grilled asparagus, rice, simple salad. Was in Ontario, Canada, and managed to avoid things such as poutine, beavertails and other caloric goodies, while getting in lots of activity. But did indulge in some ice cream occasionally, LOL.

Pics:
    1. Monday dinner.
    2. biking along a greenbelt trail in Ottawa.

I just got back from visiting my mom in Ottawa. I did eat a poutine, which wasn't worth the calories. What are beavertails?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Sunday I made Carla Lalli Music's recipe for rack roasted chicken with potatoes (but without the gravy) and yesterday I made the pita recipe in Joan Nathan's cookbook King Solomon's Table, which I checked out on ebook from one of my local libraries.

The pita is more reliable, in terms of a pocket than the recipe that I normally use, but it's not as flavorful and it's a bit more finicky. They do, however, have significantly fewer calories by virtue of the recipe calling for less flour by weight. I might make another batch next week and do the second rise overnight in the fridge which should help with flavor development.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Monday evening (08/26): first day back from vacation, and "back on the plan": grilled lemon-pepper cod, grilled asparagus, rice, simple salad. Was in Ontario, Canada, and managed to avoid things such as poutine, beavertails and other caloric goodies, while getting in lots of activity. But did indulge in some ice cream occasionally, LOL.

Pics:
    1. Monday dinner.
    2. biking along a greenbelt trail in Ottawa.

I just got back from visiting my mom in Ottawa. I did eat a poutine, which wasn't worth the calories. What are beavertails?

There's a beavertail shop in the Ottawa Byward Market. They are the love child of a doughnut and pancake, shaped like a beavertail (i.e., the head of a tennis racquet but elongated). Served as is, warm, often with toppings ranging from powdered sugar to maple glaze to whatever. Besides Byward, I take it they are available at other baked goods outlets.

I agree with your observation on poutine. But I can't tell that to my daughter and her Canadian husband. It'd be sacrilege, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001
    aokoye wrote: »
    Sunday I made Carla Lalli Music's recipe for rack roasted chicken with potatoes (but without the gravy) and yesterday I made the pita recipe in Joan Nathan's cookbook King Solomon's Table, which I checked out on ebook from one of my local libraries.

The pita is more reliable, in terms of a pocket than the recipe that I normally use, but it's not as flavorful and it's a bit more finicky. They do, however, have significantly fewer calories by virtue of the recipe calling for less flour by weight. I might make another batch next week and do the second rise overnight in the fridge which should help with flavor development.

Try the Food Wishes pita method. Works OK. https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/04/pita-bread-whats-in-your-pocket.html
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Try the Food Wishes pita method. Works OK. https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/04/pita-bread-whats-in-your-pocket.html

Interesting recipe, thanks - it's dissimilar to the one I usually use in that all of the recipies I use don't call for essentially making a sponge. I generally don't have a whole lot of trouble getting my pita to puff up. I've been making it more or less all summer at this point, primarily using a recipe from America's Test Kitchen. It's somewhat similar to this one, but the only flour that's used is bread flour.

The two most important things for creating a pocket seem to be how thin you roll it out and how moist the dough is. A very hot cooking environment is also very helpful - I typically cook them on a pizza stone in a 555F oven (as hot as my oven can go to). Sometimes I'll turn the convection on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Fish tacos (baked) with arugula/watermelon/feta cheese salad sprinkled with a few pine nuts and topped with balsamic glaze. No pic, sorry.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    uyjtd0ugjj75.jpg
    Last night was: Cauliflower mac and cheese with shrimp! Needed a quick but tasty dinner :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Unstuffed Cabbage Soup - I made a trip to the organic farm stand and went with a recipe that would use the veggies available.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    The last good meal? Roasted flat iron steak with petite gold potatoes and asparagus. The last good thing I cooked was grilled chicken schwarma. Last good thing I made was an edamame, green bean, dried cranberry and feta salad.
    I've had a whole lot of man that was disgusting the last week or so trying new things.
  • mjbnj0001
    Rain here in coastal NJ USA today means no grilling. Outside. Fallback meal: a stovetop, one-pot, chicken and rice dish with veggies. Recipe adapted from "Laura in the Kitchen," youtube.

4ofxw56jl9ql.jpg
  • Pannduh
    Pannduh Posts: 89 Member
    edited August 2019
    @acpgee Ooh did you make that pickled daikon radish or did you buy it? I am living in Japan now and just had daikon radish with sesame dressing, so good.

Blue cheese burger over spinach with a side of cauliflower tots. 5jd2quus06xq.jpeg
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Does reheat count? I put leftover cauliflower pizza in the air fryer. It was better the second time around
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Squishy_H wrote: »
    @acpgee Ooh did you make that pickled daikon radish or did you buy it? I am living in Japan now and just had daikon radish with sesame dressing, so good.

The pickled daikon was store bought. When you have daikon with sesame dressing, is it just plain shredded radish? We've got some Japanese store bought sesame dressing I could use.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Steak and Potatoes with left over Coleslaw was what's for dinner ;)
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    sweet & sour chicken with peppers, onions and pineapple with an egg roll (store bought egg roll)

4zmam987jflf.jpg
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Instant pot meatloaf, red potatoes and carrots. 45 minutes, one pot.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Scallops! - seared with olive oil, garlic and rosemary.