The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,476 Member
    @Up_n_Running I will say a prayer for him and for you as well. And kudos to you for not going to the bottle to deal with a stressful situation. Keep us posted.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,154 Member
    JenT304 wrote: Ā»
    @Up_n_Running I will say a prayer for him and for you as well. And kudos to you for not going to the bottle to deal with a stressful situation. Keep us posted.

Thanks Jen. I'm over eating instead to cope with the stress. I wish I wasn't using food but it's the lesser of the 2 options for me.

That is very sad to hear about your brother. I'm so sorry. Is there someone you could call? Like your therapist or someone to see what can be done or some resources for him. I will pray he gets the strength to seek help. And be sure to take care of your health, too. I'm so sorry.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: Ā»

Thanks Jen. I'm over eating instead to cope with the stress. I wish I wasn't using food but it's the lesser of the 2 options for me.

He is probably still very traumatized over the death of your parent(s) and this is how he is coping. Maybe your boyfriend can intervene and go over there; I'm sure you tried that. Maybe you can reach out to a clergy person who also has helpful phone numbers you can call. I'm just grappling for ideas...
  • RubyRed427
    Thanks @RubyRed427

Well his girlfriend has forced him to call the doctor for help. (She said that he pretends all is well, when he is back home with me). But she is seeing something different. His doctor has actually contacted me, to find out if he was alright cos he wasn't answering the phone to speak to the doctor. I spoke to him on text message earlier, apparently he is coming home tomorrow and also plans to actually speak to the doctor tomorrow as well.

He won't answer his phone, and when I text, I need to wait long stretches of time to get a reply. Its funny cos only weeks ago, I asked if I could add his girlfriend on Snapchat....I had no contact details for her prior to this so it's been a blessing that I had a way of having contact with her. I am so grateful for her honesty and letting me know what he has been hiding from me.

Sounds like his girlfriend is a truly good person, that she contacted you and told you this situation. She's in it to help him. I'm happy he will get some help. This might be rock bottom- who knows? And this could be the start of good things for him.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    I wish I had been able to say Bye to @donimfp. Sad to see her go :'( She was a valuable part of our group <3
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    @Up_n_Running Wow you've had to grow up fast--you must have such a special bond. After all I've been reading, please encourage them to do a brain scan before just putting your brother on meds in case there is a physical component that needs addressing. I hope you both get some restful and healing time this week. You are an inspiration more than you know. <3
  • RubyRed427
    My brother got a pretty serious diagnosis today (although it is *unofficial* as he will be contacted for further assessment). But, I'm pretty sure they have got it correct. I don't want to say what it is just because I would feel like I'm betraying his trust, I guess its quite a personal matter.

I have had to fight with every fibre of my being not to escape into a bottle of wine. Or beer. Or vodka. Or whiskey. Just wanted to escape. Instead I have bought myself a packet of cigarettes. Sitting with a coffee and a cig. Not the best, but the best I can do right now.

Main thing is, he is going to get the help he needs. That's a huge positive. Just have to try and digest the news.

OH dear. I'm sorry to hear that about his diagnosis. I'm sending you a huge hug to deal with all this! Hugs
  • RubyRed427
    Good morning friends! Nothing new to report- staying sober... for today. That's all we have.

I'm planning a fourth of July party; so I have been so busy getting ready for it. I will be sober for it. I don't want to embarrass myself by drinking. I remember for my daughter's graduation party I was sober as well. I wanted to remember everything.
  • RubyRed427
    @Up_n_Running My sister was just talking about this group with me. She really likes their philosophy and has partaken in some online meetings. She said it was started by a woman who went to AA but found it to be too centered for the male participants.

On their website they have these statements: Happiness is a habit i'm developing.I am what I think. Life can be ordinary or great.... it all sounds quite positive.
  • RubyRed427
    Only 17 days left until back at my personal best šŸŒž (134 days).

Just over 2 weeks ??

I can do this !!

Tattoo is getting nearer & nearer....8 days to go šŸ˜¬šŸ˜šŸ¦‹šŸŒ¹

8 days to go til tattoo day! I can't wait to see it. 17 days is very doable for you. You have great tenacity!
    I will check out K. Johnson- I like positivity.
    I ran across a TikTok of a psychologist ; he said we are so hard on ourselves; our inner dialogue is so depressing- we must avidly change that.

Another TikTok psychologist spoke of dopamine; she said visualization is the key to building that dopamine kick.
    Here's an article about it. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/295885
  • RubyRed427

I really like this post by Kirsten Johnson. I would also recommend her book, The Heartgasm Revolution. I love her, her positivity is infectious! šŸ’•

I"m buying two copies- one for me and one for my sister! Thanks for sharing!