The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    30 days AF on the books. This is, historically, a tough place for me (in my lengthy 4 months of attempts - ha!). I celebrated with a big crazy hike, in which I denied the peak and napped for a half hour instead. Pure bliss. Still, 2,500 elev gain in 3.5 miles (7 round trip)....yowza!

Love this hard
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    I had a death in the family saturday ... drove 12 hours to the funeral, which was today.

I was the only sober person at the funeral.

I Guess alcoholism really does run in the family.

that is hard. i had a friend die-od/alcohol. they(his family) held the wake in a bar.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    When my brother passed May 2018 I kept it together surprisingly for a month and a half,luckily I was able to pull outta the pit in time for the memorial but two of my brothers kept leaving the service to go out to their truck to top off with Bud light,,I was pissed off at them but I know I'd have been doing the same if my binge had continued,,def runs in our families but thats no excuse,we just gotta work a little harder I guess,my kids seem to be able to drink "normally" thank goodness but I do tell them that my drinking started off slowly too,2 beers and id be out then slowly it built to 5,10,15 etc :# I don't really like to post amounts cuz then some people read "well I'm not THAT bad" but if you're drinking to get drunk you are that bad regardless of amount,my thoughts for the day haha Ruby great job on getting thru your stressful day and I hope whoever woo'ed it meant woo hoo! Have a fabulous AF day guys <3

that's a really good point. look for the similarities not the differences. don't set yourself apart.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 3 guys - my goal is to lower my numbers....my LDL, my resting HR, my BP, my waistline......I said to myself, I need to see results, enough talk, more action

You can do it! My tri. # is now in normal range. Chol. went down 30 points in 6 mo. Probably some due to not eating junk while drinking, exercising regularly and healthier diet overall, but def due to no alcohol.
  • salleewins
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    When my brother passed May 2018 I kept it together surprisingly for a month and a half,luckily I was able to pull outta the pit in time for the memorial but two of my brothers kept leaving the service to go out to their truck to top off with Bud light,,I was pissed off at them but I know I'd have been doing the same if my binge had continued,,def runs in our families but thats no excuse,we just gotta work a little harder I guess,my kids seem to be able to drink "normally" thank goodness but I do tell them that my drinking started off slowly too,2 beers and id be out then slowly it built to 5,10,15 etc :# I don't really like to post amounts cuz then some people read "well I'm not THAT bad" but if you're drinking to get drunk you are that bad regardless of amount,my thoughts for the day haha Ruby great job on getting thru your stressful day and I hope whoever woo'ed it meant woo hoo! Have a fabulous AF day guys <3

I am so sorry about your brother. My heart goes out to you.
  • salleewins
    Options
    Ruby nice going!!
  • salleewins
    Options
    Wow, I am so happy to find this board. You guys are making me feel like there are other people out there experiencing the same thoughts/actions that I do on a regular basis. Today is Day 1 for me. I've gained 30 lbs since getting remarried and moving to a new state. It's time to start dealing with the emotions without alcohol. I am lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night, and once that first beer goes down it's a free for all with the food. I am ready to put alcohol behind me once and for all. I am with many of you...if it's in the house, I will drink it.

Sleep will improve. Welcome! Keep going! It is more than worth it! You gain many things including self respect. I was pretty low with alcohol ruling me.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Who's going for a sober Halloween? Besides me? :)

Last year was fun (it was dubbed Hallowhiskey by my clever crew), but this year I might even get to keep some memories! Last year my daughter and I dressed up as the same thing - Viking shield maidens a la Lagertha - and we had an epic sword battle which she won... apparently. I can't recall much of it. I'm stoked for another chance to make memories this year. Raise your hand if you're pledging a sober celebration!

This will be a sober Halloween. @joha5603 Last few years, my house was the house the adults gathered; I made a big pot of chili and the Dads stroll through the neighborhood with their beer mugs, getting a top off. I used to love Halloween (this will sound really selfish) because it was the RARE time I wasnt with my kids, because husband took them trick or treating. So, I would have my very own “old fashioned” happy hour. I always equated alcohol as a just reward.

This year, I haven’t invited any of the usual friends over. If I do, it will be at the last minute. But I think this Halloween will be quiet. My kids are older anyway.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @whitpauly My deepest sympathies to you. It’s heartbreaking. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Wow, I am so happy to find this board. You guys are making me feel like there are other people out there experiencing the same thoughts/actions that I do on a regular basis. Today is Day 1 for me. I've gained 30 lbs since getting remarried and moving to a new state. It's time to start dealing with the emotions without alcohol. I am lucky to get 6 hours of sleep a night, and once that first beer goes down it's a free for all with the food. I am ready to put alcohol behind me once and for all. I am with many of you...if it's in the house, I will drink it.

Good luck! We are here with you and for you. Arm yourself with a plan for when you may get a craving. What will you turn to? Maybe Tea, exercise, art, etc. Something to fill that void in case you’re bored.

I think many of us have drowned our pain/emotions with alcohol. Here’s to Day 2 tomorrow! You have what it takes! Xo
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It will be a quiet Halloween here as well. Our kids are grown, the grandboy will be turning 1 the next day, so he won't go to many houses ;-) When the kids were little, we always took a thermos of warm cider and Jim Beam. Lots of buzzed Halloweens for us, now it'll be iced tea for him and hot tea for me and I am not even mad about it.
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi @NormInv ! Always nice to see you :)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Bobby959 wrote: »
    Hi I'm on day 5 of being AF. I have been heavily drinking for 10 to 15 years but I have been a secret drinker so I don't have anyone to share my AF journey with. I'm incredibly tired has anyone else experienced this.

Sure ! I can relate - secret drinkers are plentiful. I watched a Video on tedtalk. You might get value from.

It's the author of "Drink". https://youtu.be/LqtZjpI1oVQ

It may be geared to women but I think any drinker can relate. Xo
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Loved this, Julie, thanks for sharing. I read her book a few years ago. It is very powerful. Norm, good to see you again! Welcome to the new friends. We are glad you have joined us.